PDA

View Full Version : Set top box internet connection

nfshirley
11-03-2005, 12:50
I have an NTL set top box with a USB connection, and I have lost my install CD, and also have had to rebuild my laptop. Does anyone know where I can download the install from?

I have asked tech support a couple of times to send me out a CD, but they always send the cable modem cd...

Help please :erm:

Stuart
11-03-2005, 13:03
Your STB should also have an Ethernet/RJ45 connection. Try plugging the laptop into that (in my experience. most Lappys come with onboard Ethernet) You may need to re-enter your PID and Pin Number (should have been sent with your Welcome pack) when you open up an web browser though.

MovedGoalPosts
11-03-2005, 13:25
When you say USB connection, is this a short adapter cable that plugs into the long ethernet cable tht comes out of your STB?. I think the one I was supplied with was blue coloured and had an SMC logo.

If I'm correct with the SMC thing, do a search in google, and you may well be able to download the drivers for the USB adapter. If you get the drivers, you wont need the ntl CD.

As scastle said, you should be able to just unplug the USB part, and use the ethernet cable straight into your laptop. Once all plugged in, switch off the STB (completely power down, by turning off at the wall), reboot the laptop, switch on the STB. When you now go into Internet Explorer you shold be directed to the ntl registration site (if not type start:ntl) in the IE address box. That enables you to register you lappy, but you will need your account details. You won't need the ntl CD to install using just ethernet.