PDA

View Full Version : Very limted service

Voodoodan
11-03-2005, 12:59
Hi,

I have been reconnected on 1.5mb/3mb but something strange is happening which NTL haven't been able to resolve so far. Instead of waiting a couple of days for their help I thought I'd ask you guys!

I can Ping and Tracert a web site from a command window and get a reply as normal. However, when I use Internet Explorer / Outlook I don't get anything.

Green lights on modem (when idle): Ready (steady), the one next to it (steady), e/net (flashing), d/l (flashing).

Does anyone have an idea why I can get a connection via the command window, but nothing elsewhere, please?

Thanks,
Dan.

Chris W
11-03-2005, 13:01
firewall??

punky
Have you tried changing your proxy? (http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/cmtips/trancache.html)

gooner4life
Modem is in a pre reg state, goto https://autoreg.autoregister.net

see if you can access that site.

Voodoodan
11-03-2005, 13:15
Hi,

Sorry, I forgot to mention that I've removed all firewalls (ZoneAlarm) and anti-virus software.

I will try the proxy and autoreg site when I get home tonight, thanks guys.

Any other ideas before then are much appreciated.

Thanks,
Dan.

nostra
11-03-2005, 13:30
Modem is in a pre reg state, goto https://autoreg.autoregister.net

see if you can access that site.

in ref to what gooner4life just said:

do you know what ip address you are getting?

if your ip address ends .248 - .253 then it is in a pre-reg state

e.g. 81.x.x.251 is a pre-reg ip address
e.g. 81.x.x.212 is not a pre-reg ip

if it is not then he is not in a pre-reg state :D

Stephen
11-03-2005, 13:31
I had the same happen to me after changing my speed. Do you have BB+?

Voodoodan
11-03-2005, 13:55
Hi,

Yes, that's what I get, an IP address that ends in 248 - 253.

I haven't got the BB+ package.

Thanks again,
Dan.

nostra
11-03-2005, 16:41
then refer yourself to ntl technical support

because that is a pre-registration ip address

try rebooting your modem first mind.. then contact technical support and tell them that you are now getting a pre-reg ip address since being sent the upgrade

there is nothing we can do from here im sorry :(
:D

dbateman2k5
11-03-2005, 16:47
He needs to go to https://autoreg.autoregister.net (https://autoreg.autoregister.net/), as his pc needs to be re-provisioned to the CM

You should of been auto-redirected to the BIA Computer Provisioning page on opening your browser

This is what I had to do after upgrading temporary to 1Mb on Pace STB, then again to 2Mb on my new Samsung STB

Any changes to your BB tier, requires you to re-provision the pc to the CM/STB again, else the CM/STB stays in the pre-reg state

nostra
11-03-2005, 16:54
he is using a cable modem not a set top box, cable modems do not provision like set top boxes :)

dbateman2k5
11-03-2005, 16:56
Oh sorry, I thought they did :(

nostra
11-03-2005, 17:24
no it's just that with the stb you have to provision every new pc that you use (as you know)

not quite the same with cable modems there is no provisioning for each individual pc the only thing that needs to be registered is the mac of the cable modem on the address that you mentioned ;)

the problem that voodoodan will have probably is that the cable modem is already registered on the system,

and if it is not the reg page would not work because his pin is already registered ;)

Voodoodan
11-03-2005, 17:45
NTL asked me to give them 2 days to help me out so I'll give them the lead time. In the meantime I'll give the autoreg thing a go - it couldn't do any harm I reckon...... possibly!

Thanks for your help,
Dan.

Voodoodan
14-03-2005, 14:14
Just a quick update, after the 2 day period expired I called NTL who then said that what they meant was 2 'working' days. So that must mean today then! Anyway they further said that the problem is due to them putting me on a 3mb account and from that there is a 'lack of IP addresses' being assigned.

I heard this one earlier on in some thread and wonder if that can be true? It doesn't sound right to me, but hey!

I guess I just have to wait for an engineer to play with a little green box somewhere! :p:

Dan.

nostra
14-03-2005, 14:23
Just a quick update, after the 2 day period expired I called NTL who then said that what they meant was 2 'working' days. So that must mean today then! Anyway they further said that the problem is due to them putting me on a 3mb account and from that there is a 'lack of IP addresses' being assigned.

I heard this one earlier on in some thread and wonder if that can be true? It doesn't sound right to me, but hey!

I guess I just have to wait for an engineer to play with a little green box somewhere! :p:

Dan.

i have not heard this.

and this does not explain the fact you are being given a pre-registration ip address if it was down to a lack of ip addresses you would probably be assigned a 169.254.x.x ip address not a pre-registration ip

i would like to take a look at this for you but am not in till tomorrow, if you could pm me your mac address i will take a look if you would like. :)

the only issue with ip addresses that i am aware of is those with broadband plus on their accounts, but this was late last week i am not sure if this has been resolved, this was making people get pre-registration ip addresses

Stephen
14-03-2005, 15:08
i have not heard this.

and this does not explain the fact you are being given a pre-registration ip address if it was down to a lack of ip addresses you would probably be assigned a 169.254.x.x ip address not a pre-registration ip

i would like to take a look at this for you but am not in till tomorrow, if you could pm me your mac address i will take a look if you would like. :)

the only issue with ip addresses that i am aware of is those with broadband plus on their accounts, but this was late last week i am not sure if this has been resolved, this was making people get pre-registration ip addresses
I had this problem, got it fixed but I have left BB+ off just incase.

Voodoodan
14-03-2005, 15:15
Ok, thanks I will PM it to you tomorrow AM, I don't have it with me at the mo.

DarthYoda - how did your problem get fixed?!?

Thanks,
Dan.

nostra
14-03-2005, 15:53
he would have had it resolved by removing the modem from the bb+ service and then the TSB would have put it in a queue so when the issue is resolved they will add him back onto bb+ (this is what they should have done)

voodoodan, do you remember subscribing to bb+ at all?

Voodoodan
14-03-2005, 16:10
I've never subscribed to BB+ (I found I had to pay extra for it, that's how I'm certain)! :)

Stephen
14-03-2005, 17:12
Ok, thanks I will PM it to you tomorrow AM, I don't have it with me at the mo.

DarthYoda - how did your problem get fixed?!?

Thanks,
Dan.

I had BB+ removed then my modem deleted and added back on. That is quite drastic action to take though.

nostra
15-03-2005, 17:56
i will get back to you when i am in at 6pm after i have taken a look at a few things.

try rebooting your modem and try browsing at 7 if you have no net access ;)

:D :D

Voodoodan
15-03-2005, 17:59
Ok, thanks for your help Nostra. I'll be hovering near the modem at 7! :D :)

nostra
15-03-2005, 18:05
will try and get into work early to take a look at it :)

so reboot a couple of times between 6 and 7 :)

Voodoodan
15-03-2005, 18:13
Ok that's much appreciated. I'll reboot the CM every quarter of an hour between 6 & 7.

Thanks again,
Dan.

nostra
15-03-2005, 19:02
your problem should be resolved sir ;)

Voodoodan
15-03-2005, 19:12
GENIUS! :Yikes:

Thank you very much, I'm well impressed! What was the problem?

Thanks again,
Dan.

nostra
15-03-2005, 19:16
you were on the wrong dhcp server :)

hence the reason you were getting a pre-registration ip

glad your back up and running :D