PDA

View Full Version : 300k or 1Meg

Paulie
09-03-2005, 16:18
I`m sticking with 300k as i am pretty happy with the speed and dont watch any videos etc.

Halcyon
09-03-2005, 16:29
The 1mb was just tooo tempting so went for that.
Ok, so I have to be careful Im not on the net all the time, but it means less time at my PC and more time outside which is good in the long run.

ian@huth
09-03-2005, 16:35
The only consideration really is the cap. I won't normally use more than 3Gb per month so I might as well have the extra speed. If I do need more than 3Gb one month then I will upgrade to the next tier for the month or pay for extra usage if that is a cheaper option. At the moment though it is only a soft cap and we will have to wait until later to find out full details of usage restrictions and avenues to follow if we exceed them.

MovedGoalPosts
09-03-2005, 16:38
1MB is tempting, but I don't think going to be suitable. I'm sure I must use a lot more than 3GB data a month, but have no idea as I'm behind a router, so have no means of monitoring. I thought 300kbps might not handle online gaming, but it seems to, and as I rarely stream video, I might as well stay put.

Now if the upload speeds had increased proportionately, the extra price to jump to a better cap level service might have made it worthwhile. Meanwhile the ludicrously slow upload speeds, which get more disproportionate to download with every speed change, are effectively capping our use by another method.

Rough.D
09-03-2005, 16:44
1MB is tempting, but I don't think going to be suitable. I'm sure I must use a lot more than 3GB data a month, but have no idea as I'm behind a router, so have no means of monitoring. I thought 300kbps might not handle online gaming, but it seems to, and as I rarely stream video, I might as well stay put.

Now if the upload speeds had increased proportionately, the extra price to jump to a better cap level service might have made it worthwhile. Meanwhile the ludicrously slow upload speeds, which get more disproportionate to download with every speed change, are effectively capping our use by another method.

Dito

Also my eldest daughter is always on line except when I am gaming online so the 300 is fine for me.

dbeckett
09-03-2005, 16:59
1meg bandwidth cap is soo unreasonable so ill definly not update 2 it

£7 more for 2mbit and a reasonable bandwidth, thats like 7 times 300kb and for only £7 more a month so ill probaly upgrade to 2mbit

Paulie
09-03-2005, 17:07
1meg bandwidth cap is soo unreasonable so ill definly not update 2 it

£7 more for 2mbit and a reasonable bandwidth, thats like 7 times 300kb and for only £7 more a month so ill probaly upgrade to 2mbit

That does seem to be the cheese. When you think if you`re going to pay the difference when you go over the cap £7 seems pretty good. Maybe that`s the grand plan ;)

Jimmytheone
09-03-2005, 17:43
I'm currently on 300K and was just going to go for the 1MB but now wonder what my current usage is - is it possible to check this and, if so, how?

I'm using an STB modem connected via USB to an XP pc.

Thanks, Jimmy

Halcyon
09-03-2005, 18:05
You can monitor your bandwidth using this little tool, NetMeter.
Installs in seconds and is free.

You will see the total bandwidth used per day, week , or month, and can set it to alert you when you reach the 3gb cap too.

http://readerror.gmxhome.de/

Paulie
09-03-2005, 18:07
I'm currently on 300K and was just going to go for the 1MB but now wonder what my current usage is - is it possible to check this and, if so, how?

I'm using an STB modem connected via USB to an XP pc.

Thanks, Jimmy

www.chetnet.co.uk have a calculator thats very handy. And from my small usage it already puts me over 3gig

ian@huth
09-03-2005, 18:16
www.chetnet.co.uk have a calculator thats very handy. And from my small usage it already puts me over 3gigAll these calculators can be very wide of the mark. The best bet is to use a bandwidth monitor such as Netmeter, dumeter, prtg, etc.

Paulie
09-03-2005, 18:25
But even the little estimation from ntl is not good for a 3gig pm cap. It seems a lot of people will go wayyy past that mark.

Halcyon
09-03-2005, 19:14
Frankly, the caps are not going to be harshly laid down on you in the first 12 months.... so lets just have fun for a while people.
And if you go over, then just pay a little extra....Its not going to be the end of the world.

Paulie
09-03-2005, 22:09
But isn`t that what ntl want us to do, thus getting us to think it would be better to just make the jump to 2meg and then lose 1meg all together.

mosaddique
10-03-2005, 00:34
I am sticking with 300k. The cap for 1 M is just too low.
Most of what I do can be done with 300k. I do download a lot of linux distros and linux live CDs. just a few days ago I downloaded Beatrix Linux, Knoppix live Cd and Mandrake Move. That alone would get me to nearly 3 GB. I will just kick off my downloads at night and be patient.

NTL is obviously playing with us in the hope that we upgrade to 2M or 3M. They may well loose out if competing 512k adsl products with unlimited caps start lowering their prices as appears to be happening.

I am no fan of adsl and prefer NTL (for their technology rather than their support). However, if adsl 512k unlimited cap is cheaper than 300k with NTL then I will move.

scrotnig
10-03-2005, 00:45
I am sticking with 300k. The cap for 1 M is just too low.
Most of what I do can be done with 300k. I do download a lot of linux distros and linux live CDs. just a few days ago I downloaded Beatrix Linux, Knoppix live Cd and Mandrake Move. That alone would get me to nearly 3 GB. I will just kick off my downloads at night and be patient.

NTL is obviously playing with us in the hope that we upgrade to 2M or 3M. They may well loose out if competing 512k adsl products with unlimited caps start lowering their prices as appears to be happening.

I am no fan of adsl and prefer NTL (for their technology rather than their support). However, if adsl 512k unlimited cap is cheaper than 300k with NTL then I will move.
And if all the heavy users move to those services, they will be capped too.

ISPs cannot afford to have people on their service that use tons of bandwidth, unfortunately it's a harsh reality at present. Such people lose money for the company concerned.

goldoni
10-03-2005, 08:55
I look after three other old boys computers and they are all on the 300 service and Iâ₠¬ÃƒÆ’¢â€žÂ¢m finding it a hard one to call. They just use it for emails and looking at web sites so in my mind they could go up on the 1mb service with 100Kpbs upload.

Does anybody know what the upload is on the 300 service.

Nemesis
10-03-2005, 08:56
I look after three other old boys computers and they are all on the 300 service and Iâ₠¬ÃƒÆ’¢â€žÂ¢m finding it a hard one to call. They just use it for emails and looking at web sites so in my mind they could go up on the 1mb service with 100Kpbs upload.

Does anybody know what the upload is on the 300 service.

It's 128k

gkhewitt
10-03-2005, 09:19
Are you sure it's 128k? I was under the impression it was 64k.

If it is 128k, with this upgrade to 1mbit, I have infact downgraded the upload speed to 100k...?

ian@huth
10-03-2005, 09:23
1Mb = 100k upload
2Mb = 200k upload
3Mb = 300k upload

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/article/145/ntl-broadband-upgrade-speeds-from-8th-march

300k = 64k upload

dbeckett
10-03-2005, 11:53
has anyone actually upgraded from 300kb too 1meg? if so how long did it take u since u phoned them to when ur speed upgraded

Neil
10-03-2005, 11:55
has anyone actually upgraded from 300kb too 1meg? if so how long did it take u since u phoned them to when ur speed upgraded

That's what the poll at the top of this thread is for.

:welcome: to the site. :)

dilli-theclaw
10-03-2005, 11:57
Well I just upgraded my dad :) He's on 1mb now.

He called customer services and they did it for him in about 2mins :)

darkmage46
10-03-2005, 12:30
i'd love the 1 mb but im sticking with 300k. I remember a while ago reading an article on the anticap website that put forwards that the whole cap thing was a ploy to increase profits and that the "lack of bandwidth" was a manufactured scarcity. now this seems more tru than ever, ntl havent been round laying bigger cables have they? and i never noticed any degredation of service after everyone was upgraded to a minimum of 300k, did anyone else? now we can all have 1Mb as long as we dont use it too much, jees when are we going to get it straight, NTL could give everyone on 300k an upgrade to 3meg and still make the same profit. as for the 3 gig a month cap, well all caps suck because they are not nesecarry, they are a tool to coerce users to upgrade from fear of getting a nasty letter or an increased bill. ntl suck but less than BT so ill stay where i am thanks very much:dozey:

dbeckett
10-03-2005, 17:16
what number do u ring 2 upgrade btw and cna u do it online?

chrisb123
10-03-2005, 17:49
what number do u ring 2 upgrade btw and cna u do it online?
If you have a cable modem you can, if not you can phone 0800 052 2000.

http://www.ntlworld.com/data-feeds/editorial/microsites/tierMigration/

chilin_dude
10-03-2005, 19:06
I'm sticking with 300k, I average 30gig download atm so it's a no-brainer, but for £7 a month extra I'm probably going to upgrade our speed!

dbeckett
10-03-2005, 19:25
i might upgrade to 1meg and i know iwill go over the limit but when they send me a notice ill upgrade to 2meg

Matth
10-03-2005, 20:29
300k cablemodem is 64k up, 300k STB is 128k up - another quirk, like the 128/150k being double streamable to 256k.

300k for me - I did some intial workings and monitorings, and the originally assumed 5Gb was possible (I set my daily monitor to 100Mb, target 3Gb/month, allowing for 2Gb for exceptionals) - and on the pattern of alert/no alert, I'd say that I would be within 3Gb, but without much reserve, and I really don't want to have to watch my usage.

Yes, 512k ADSL for a similar price, and with no cap or no lower than 10Gb, would be giving me seriously itchy feet for a move.

I'll hold fire, and see if NTL end up revising the speeds and caps again to counter stronger ADSL offerings.

turmoil
10-03-2005, 20:52
I phoned cs today to find out about upgrading from 300 to 1MB. I asked about caps and he told me that I was allowed to download up to 1 GB a day. I asked again to be sure and he said the same thing . He then told me to wait 15 mins and to reboot. However I noticed an immediate speed difference so I didnt bother.
I now see that ntl have issued the cap at 3GB a month..Was I misinformed?

darkmage46
10-03-2005, 21:44
if you phoned ntl customer service and they answerd the phone with "hello how can i help" you were misinformed

dbeckett
10-03-2005, 21:53
no doubt the guy was probaly from pakistan or somewhere and read it off a bit of paper lol and read the old one but meh

not sure if i should risk upgrading to 1meg i would break the 3meg limit in under a 2weeks no problem, i take up like 200mb(ish) a day, 15 days later it would be over the allowed bandwidth, and i sumtimes download large files meaning ill definly be over it but might be worth upgradin to 1mbit for a month or two well till i get the warning then get 2mbit

dodger
11-03-2005, 01:22
But isn`t that what ntl want us to do, thus getting us to think it would be better to just make the jump to 2meg and then lose 1meg all together.

"I agree" I think you have hit the nail with your first blow"https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2005/10/15.gif

turmoil
11-03-2005, 07:42
no doubt the guy was probaly from pakistan or somewhere and read it off a bit of paper lol and read the old one but meh

Actually he was Irish..:(

dbeckett
11-03-2005, 13:27
well that changes everything, he must have been provided with the wrong information

irish rocks:cool:

still not sure what i will do about upgrading my speed, might leave it till a while, no real need 2 upgrade yet

darkmage46
11-03-2005, 15:05
i wonder how long it will be before ntl phases out the old 300k and we have to have the new 1meg and its low cap?

Paulie
11-03-2005, 15:36
I think that`ll depend on how many make the jump. I still think they`re trying to get a 2meg entry level.

Machineage
11-03-2005, 17:44
Hmmm
I spoke with NTL Broadband Support re: capping & 300k phasing out - and recieved several conflicting responses from the wonderful (useless) tech support peeps over in India. So - I called CS & demanded to talk to someone who could give me the truth! A very polite lady full of the joys of Red Nose Day went away & came back to read from their 'official' documentation... She read 'All 300k users will be automatically upgraded by the end of March' and 'The 3Gb cap will not be enforced until later in 2005'
So - I wonder what trith there is in that!

Derek
11-03-2005, 17:48
Actually he was Irish..:(

:notopic:

OMG!!!! They must be outsourcing the call centres to Ireland then!!! :Yikes: :Yikes: :Yikes:
Quick everyone cancel in protest!!! :D

:notopic:

mattfrn
11-03-2005, 18:04
no mate i work in belfast , they closed our customer care and faults here in december and the rest of us go in april , so must have been an irishman on tour or scottish and you got the accents mixed up ;)

Paulie
11-03-2005, 19:00
Damn, that`s some relocation :Yikes:

turmoil
12-03-2005, 00:17
no mate i work in belfast , they closed our customer care and faults here in december and the rest of us go in april , so must have been an irishman on tour or scottish and you got the accents mixed up ;)

scottish/Irish....All the same to me.
However..I know what he said!!

Matth
12-03-2005, 21:26
Hmmm
I spoke with NTL Broadband Support re: capping & 300k phasing out - and recieved several conflicting responses from the wonderful (useless) tech support peeps over in India. So - I called CS & demanded to talk to someone who could give me the truth! A very polite lady full of the joys of Red Nose Day went away & came back to read from their 'official' documentation... She read 'All 300k users will be automatically upgraded by the end of March' and 'The 3Gb cap will not be enforced until later in 2005'

Time I started looking at ADSL, if that's true - at least when they DO turn the screws - only NTL could make a NEGATIVE out of a speed upgrade!

chilin_dude
13-03-2005, 12:42
Hmmm
Hope that she was wrong, I'm not going to be happy on 3 gig a month!

Maggy
13-03-2005, 13:16
The problem with NTL is that they get so many leaks before hand that eventually one can be forgiven for being totally confused whether you're an NTL CS or just a customer.... :(

Thus far I thought we had a choice about 300k. :confused:

Possibly NTL managment deliberately leak info in this way to see what offer they can finally get away with...

Cynical? Me? You bet... ;)

Paulie
13-03-2005, 23:54
Well this looks like an interesting turn of events, if we`ll all be upgraded anyway by the end of March, a lot of people including me won`t be very happy.

~Dan~
14-03-2005, 06:17
I'm sticking with 300k.

Why upgrade your car to a Ferrari when you're only allowed to drive to the end of the street? ;)

EDIT: Just read the previous page. If we're forcibly upgraded then I hope this forum has a swear filter. ;)

darkmage46
14-03-2005, 10:17
i knew ntl wouldnt keep mor than 3 connection speeds as its just complicating the service. expect to be upgraded soon

Paulie
15-03-2005, 07:54
I wonder if when they ditch 300k, the capping will be the samt over all 3 services.