PDA

View Full Version : Merged: swapping between ethernet and USB, and trying wireless ... help!

jerenus
09-03-2005, 14:02
if i changed from ethernet to usb is that cause any problems?
i used ethernet for 7 months but when i bought a new computer with windows xp home edition (its already installed everything) - ethernet connection worked, there wasn't any problem
unfortunateley i have to remove the xp home edition to proffessional , when i did that etheernet didn't work
still i can't solve this problem
i ahve tried rebooting the modem, uninstall the ethernet adapter and reinstalling again, nothing worked.
so i changed to usb, its seems to be very slow than ethernet
why these things happen?
please help me

SOSAGES
09-03-2005, 14:04
id say fix the network port :)

what card is it?

jerenus
09-03-2005, 14:07
sis- 900 based pci fast ethernet cardhow do i change the port?:confused:

nighthawk
09-03-2005, 14:44
Below is the easiest way to verify

Unplug the Ethernet Cable

in my computer select network places (on the left hand menu)

Then select network adapters (left hand menu)

make sure that your network adapter shows as not connected (there should be a red cross in the bottom left hand corner of the icon)

plug the ethernet back in & make sure the icon changes to connected.

press start

type "CMD" and hit enter

type "IPCONFIG"

This should now display your IP address & it should be an external one (ie it will not start 192 or 10)

if it still shows an internal adress try typing the following in the "DOS Box"

ipconfig /release

ipconfig /renew

this will release the current IP & try and obtain a new address.

If this doesn't work, let me know and i will give you a few other things to try.

jerenus
09-03-2005, 14:45
i have already tried it, it says there is an error & this action happened in different socket
thanks
please give me any other idea

nighthawk
09-03-2005, 14:49
have you tried replacing the etehrnet cable? also did you remmebr to reboot the modem when you switched from USB to ethernet?

jerenus
09-03-2005, 14:52
yes i did lots of times

Chris W
09-03-2005, 14:52
i have already tried it, it says there is an error & this action happened in different socket
thanks

what error message? and when in the process that nighthawk described did this happen?

nighthawk
09-03-2005, 14:54
have you verified that the modem is not at fault by plugging it into another machine via ethernet?

jerenus
09-03-2005, 14:56
what error message? and when in the process that nighthawk described did this happen?
i don't get you

i have tried from another machine it says the same think

Chris W
09-03-2005, 14:58
I'm referring to this post ->

thanks

When does it say there is an error?? and what is the error message?

jerenus
09-03-2005, 15:00
when i try to change the ip address(CMD.exe) it says an error occured and something like happens on an unknown socket

Chris W
09-03-2005, 15:01
when i try to change the ip address(CMD.exe) it says an error occured and something like happens on an unknown socket

was it "An operation was attempted on something that is not a socket" ??

jerenus
09-03-2005, 15:02
:cool: yes thats it

same as u said

nighthawk
09-03-2005, 15:02
if it is saying the same thing

(and i am presuming it is saying ""the following steps of the operation failed: renewing the ip address. please contact your network administrator or ISP"").

Then it does sound like your modem is nackered.

Another idea.... were both machines configured with the same network adapter & OS?

jerenus
09-03-2005, 15:06
yes, both machines with same os, but i am not sure about adapter

i think its not with the same adapter becos another machine was old one, the one i am using is new one(signature)

nighthawk
09-03-2005, 15:15
was it "An operation was attempted on something that is not a socket" ??

This is normally caused by a program trying to maintain control over the network adapter. I have only ever encountered this with spyware, but i suppose the NTL USB software may be causing this.

Have you tried removing the NTL software completly?

i will check back in later but if you have already removed the NTL software you can recover the port by doing the following.

This was "borrowed" from technet before you try this i would read the entire atricle on it.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;817571

Windows XP-based computer
Reinstall TCP/IP on a Windows XP-based computer
In Windows XP, the TCP/IP stack is a core component of the operating system. Therefore, you cannot remove TCP/IP in Windows XP.

1. Install TCP/IP on top of itself. To do this, follow these steps:a. In Control Panel, double-click Network Connections, right-click Local Area Connection, and then click Properties.
b. Click Install.
c. Click Protocol, and then click Add.
d. Click Have Disk.
e. In the Copy manufacturer's files from box, type System_Drive_Letter:\windows\inf, and then click OK.
f. In the list of available protocols, click Internet Protocol (TCP/IP), and then click OK.

2. Restart your computer.

Chris W
09-03-2005, 18:49
urm nighthawk... please ensure that you are providing accurate information.

The ntl usb drivers will not cause this error. The message that the OP is receiving "An operation was attempted on something that is not a socket" is caused by corruption of the winsock registry entries. This is normally caused by a firewall or spyware- nothing to do with the ntl usb drivers. It is definately not a fault with the modem, if it was the message would read "unable to contact dhcp server".

The link posted is useful- jerenus i would recommend that you follow through the steps in the microsoft article to resolve this problem.

jerenus
09-03-2005, 19:25
i have tried that nighthawk said, but there is no luck, anyway thanks nighthawk
now i am going to try what microsoft article say
hi monkeybreath, the computer says" unable to contact the DHCP server"
this happened after i did what nighthawk said....

jerenus
09-03-2005, 21:03
ah, i have a small problem with it
becos i don't have a floppy drive
what can i do?

jerenus
10-03-2005, 12:15
can i ask you a wuestion?

can i use USB and Ethernet, both at a same time?

jerenus
15-04-2005, 15:13
i already post a help here http://cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=25270
but i need further help, could you please help me?
1. as you you all said in that thread, i bought a new ethernet cable and it worked in the old computer, but it didn't in my new computer, i think some problem with my computer not with ethernet cable! but it works with usb. i also tried renewing the ip address, reinstalling the TCP/IP, rebooting the modem etc

2. now i also bought linksys broadband router G, WRT54G, when i try to install with linksys installation cd in new computer it says you are not connected to the internet...
i also installed the linksys wireless network adapter, which says media is disconnected when its try to connect the router/renewing the ip. then i tried with my old computer, first i installed the router then it worked fine, but when i installed the wireless network adapter it also says media is disconnected/unavailable.

please first read the my first thread which have more information than here
help me
thanks in advance

Chris
15-04-2005, 15:16
As you already said, you posted about this previously ... now merging threads.

Please keep the forum tidy! :)

jerenus
15-04-2005, 15:17
ok, thanks i ill