PDA

View Full Version : Business Broadband Connection

BackToMine
08-03-2005, 23:52
Does NTL use the load-balancing transparent proxy servers for business customers?

BackToMine
20-03-2005, 02:00
Bump.
C'mon peeps, I thought there were NTL employees here?

The proxies are causing major problems for me, I'm already considering moving to ADSL. That's 4 years of excellent BB & Telephone and TV service and a £90/month NTL bill that will come to an end if I don't get the proxies disabled.

Derek
20-03-2005, 10:03
I think for the basic business package use the proxies and the only way round it would be to get a dedicated connection.

I'd be more than happy for someone to prove me wrong though.

fatboy
20-03-2005, 12:59
Business broadband customers run through the proxies and the only way to get around this is to lease a DIA circuit off us at a much, much higher price.

Whats the problem you aere having?

BackToMine
20-03-2005, 21:00
Basically, certain sites that I depend on have included restrictions in the scripts that blocks all submissions from webmasters who are behind proxies to protect themselves from scammers, spammers, and bad people.

I hope the NTL guy on the phone will see on his monitor that I've been a customer since 1998 when I tell him I'm leaving NTL.

Chris W
20-03-2005, 21:27
The sites should really be coded to see peoples real ips- like this one is. Then the fact that you were coming from behind a proxy would be irrelevant.

Toto
20-03-2005, 21:54
The sites should really be coded to see peoples real ips- like this one is. Then the fact that you were coming from behind a proxy would be irrelevant.

:tu: :tu:

Webmasters, there's a contradiction in terms. I cannot believe that webmasters are uanble to configure their networks to capture the most basic HTTP overhead information.

Fasthosts, one of the most popular hosting companies in the UK recognise that their packages cannot tell the difference between an ntl proxy and an ntl client user...............their solution?...........wait for it......................."not really our problem"

They are working to resolve the problem, despite being told HOW to fix the problem with a couple of lines of simple code.

As monkybreath has said, you being behind a proxy shoud have no baring on the problem, if they can't configure their network, there could be other problems they can't work out.

BTW, when I refered to webmasters, I was not refering to the poster who started this thread. :disturbd:

Chrysalis
20-03-2005, 23:47
dnsreport is one such site. There is another i visited recently also.

Toto
21-03-2005, 09:13
dnsreport is one such site. There is another i visited recently also.

dnsreport is an absolute mess, try using samspade instead. Slashdot are another site that regularly ban ntl proxy IP's.

I ran one check against an IP address using DNS report, then five minutes later all my local ntl proxies were banned.

fatboy
23-03-2005, 21:42
I hope the NTL guy on the phone will see on his monitor that I've been a customer since 1998 when I tell him I'm leaving NTL.

The length of time you ahve been with the company is irrelevant in this casse. It isnt actually ntl that are at fault here and in any case there is no way that we can route a single BB customers traffic any differently just because he wants it done. Again if you were a leased line customer it would be different.