PDA

View Full Version : I have a router....firewall needed?

aliferste
08-03-2005, 21:10
Hello there,

Now that I have a router for my internet connection am I correct in thinking that I can now just uninstall my firewall?

McGraw
08-03-2005, 21:13
No, you still need one.

dilli-theclaw
08-03-2005, 21:15
If you have a (decent) firewall installed it will also warn you about outbound connections. Personally I'd keep a firewall installed for this reason.

Richard M
08-03-2005, 23:15
If you have a NAT router then it will block all incoming ports unless you set it to forward any.
I have a NAT router and haven't used a firewall for years, never had any probs.

The only issues you will have is with malicious software installed on your internal network but if you're careful and use a secure browser (hint: not IE) then you should be safe.

MovedGoalPosts
08-03-2005, 23:16
It really depends on your router, some have better firewalls than others. And you probably need to be aware of any upgrades to the router's firmware, to ensure that any little bugs that might be found are patched.

The true belt and braces approach is to have hardware firewall in your router, and software firewalls on your PC(s). I tend just to rely on my router, which is only a basic Linksys Wireless thing.

Ramrod
08-03-2005, 23:19
I have hardware and software firewalls..........but then I also have 5 different anti spyware progs as well :disturbd:

Stuartbe
08-03-2005, 23:21
:tu:

Good advice... I run software firewalls at app level only, Hardware firewall on the Pix and software filtering via ISA server/proxy...
+ the good old antivirus (etrust) and spybot, spywareblaster, adaware, spywareguard and regwatch.

The internet can be a very dangerous place now a days !

iron25
08-03-2005, 23:23
No you don't need one as long as your router is using nat, however, most people will tell you to install a software firewall as well because it will give you added security so that you can identify anything coming in and going out.

I have a windows 2000 box sitting behind a router without a firewall running and it is on for around 18 hours a day and it has yet to be compromised.

Some useful info from the web:

Security: Basic NAT is not a real firewall?
Basic NAT devices are not real firewalls, but they are usually considered †˜good enoughââ‚Ã⠀šÃ‚¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢ for most home networks. By not forwarding requests or probes that originate from the internet to your LAN, a NAT device blocks most mischief. A simple NAT device can not keep hackers from running DOS (Denial Of Service) attacks on you, but individuals rarely get attacked like that. It will keep out people looking for file shares, rogue mail servers and web servers, and most port based exploits. Most also protect against SMURF and WinNuke atatcks. With a NAT device and a good anti-virus program, you should be safe from the most common kinds of internet attacks.

Stateful packet inspection (SPI)
Some NAT routers have an advanced form of firewall built in that does 'stateful packet inspection'. This allows the NAT devices to filter out specific kinds of data on your router like SYN flood attacks, IP Spoofing, Teardrop attacks and others. SPI is a general term that can describe a router that filters more kinds of attacks than basic NAT by closely examining packet data structures. Of course, each manufacturer will implement different kinds of SPI so not all SPI routers are equal. Routers with SPI can often log attacks.

gary_580
08-03-2005, 23:28
ive had a router running about 6 months now and in that time my software firewall hasnt detected anything coming in.

Mal
08-03-2005, 23:33
ive had a router running about 6 months now and in that time my software firewall hasnt detected anything coming in.
Since I got my router, well over a year and a half ago, I've not had one report from the software. The incoming log on the router has a lot of entries though :)

Suppose it depends on how paranoid you are. ;)

KingPhoenix
09-03-2005, 07:53
If your that worried, by a hardware firewall, something like a Juniper Netscreen 50 should do you :D

Electrolyte01
09-03-2005, 08:09
Since testing my routers firewall and it passes with flying colours, I've had no need to install a software firewall. And I havn't had any problems either.

Matth
10-03-2005, 21:43
In the usual router + firewall scenario, the router provides a level of defence against external attacks that is better than "Windows firewall".

The software firewall's main task (and Windows firewall is USELESS for this) is then to marshall the connetctions you may or may not wish to be made - application permission

poolking
10-03-2005, 22:14
If your that worried, by a hardware firewall, something like a Juniper Netscreen 50 should do you :D

Wow what a bargain. :D

http://www.inmac.co.uk/catalogue/item/JUNFIR07

Richard M
10-03-2005, 23:06
Wow what a bargain. :D

http://www.inmac.co.uk/catalogue/item/JUNFIR07

Multiple DMZ... :drool:

KingPhoenix
11-03-2005, 00:51
mmmm, their nice bits of kit, i have 3 of them segregating subnets and vpns :D