PDA

View Full Version : Best ISP

evilshaddow
07-03-2005, 20:06
what is the best ISP, all i want is to spend no more than £18.00 monthly, and have good reliability, no download limit and faster than 38kb/s download speed, i currently have NTL and was wondering if there are any better ISP's

MovedGoalPosts
07-03-2005, 20:10
:welcome: to Cable Forum :D

At that price level I think you are out of luck. Most "fast" services sub £20.00 will be capped in some form or other.

evilshaddow
07-03-2005, 20:14
What ISP has the best value for money without lacking on speed, for between £18 and £25, thanks for the welcome BTW

MovedGoalPosts
07-03-2005, 20:26
Now you are asking ;) Trouble is "best value" probably means a lot to different people. I'd hate to single out a specific ISP.

I'd steer clear of Tiscali only cos they seem to be going down the bad routes of ntl threatening customers, etc. Wanadoo are probably not a lot better. Bulldog have had a lot of bad press too. AOL can be quite good, if you like all the extra software, kiddie protection etc, but then you are often tied to their email client.

I suppose you are looking at ISPs like Plusnet, Nildram, etc, but many of these are also going down the capping route

h3adru5h
07-03-2005, 21:49
To work out "value" then you need to consider the service you are expecting as a whole.

As mentioned previously, "value" to some people may be a priority of speed over customer service, while to others this may be seen as unlimited/no download cap over speed etc...

I think the best bet for you is to match these companies up. Try using ADSLGuide for assistance - http://www.adslguide.org.uk/.

Ignition
28-05-2005, 22:02
Pay peanuts get monkeys I'm afraid. You've no chance of getting an uber fast and unlimited service for £18/month.

See if these guys can offer you their 512k or 2Mbit service, the 2Mbit is only £20/month if you live in one of their unbundled areas.

http://www.ukonline.net//8000/contents.php

Sadly though most of the time if you want the best you have to be prepared to pay for it, so no chance of getting the 'best' ISP for your price range.

Matthew
28-05-2005, 22:09
From PlusNet, ADSL, upto 2Mb capped at 1gb a week (I think that it right), £14.99.

evilshaddow
31-05-2005, 22:10
From PlusNet, ADSL, upto 2Mb capped at 1gb a week (I think that it right), £14.99.

are you sure is capped at 1gb a week because it doesnt say anything about capping limits, and do you have a link so i can check availability, because i cant find it anywhere on their website, thanks.

Matthew
31-05-2005, 22:47
The 1gb cap that I was on about is wrong. I misread some information. I am not sure weather it is day/week/month. To check availability go here: http://www.bt.com/broadband/ enter your phone number and see what it says.

iansumuk
20-10-2005, 08:48
I am with Demon, they recently upgraded my line from a 512KBit to a 2048MBit. It's great! Their customer service department are wonderful to deal with, one of the best of any call centres. I pay £19.99 a month. There is no cap.

A word of warning. Don't deal with Plusnet, they have a horrible ticket system for support and they play the statistics game. I manage 12 peoples home accounts on PlusNet, they will always answer and close the ticket before you get chance to reply, this means they can claim to resolve all issues within a day or less. It's pathetic. Not only that, they tried to install ADSL at a rural location, the drive is 1.5 miles long. There are four houses. The line was multiplexed. They sent BT to remove the multiplexor, still no ADSL signal. They said "it has been provissioned now - it is a fault." BT then managed to cut the line off completely for 11 days...rural with no phone and no mobile coverage on any of the networks...FUN! The customer told me to give up, Plusnet claim it is provissioned and we're now in contract and we must pay for it for 12 months despite the fact that neither they nor BT were able to get it going. I tried to tell them that no court in the land is going to buy the fact that it is provissioned when we have never ever had a signal but as usual my email to them bounced...I think their staff manually bounce them when they don't want to know. I am now working on transferring all my customers away from their service. They even rang me to ask why I am moving one account - they then proceded to have an argument with me about it for 30 minutes even though I'm prefectly within my rights to move that account.

Try DEMON. It's £25 if you want static IP, £20 without.