PDA

View Full Version : Mailing Preference Service

Theodoric
07-03-2005, 21:04
I signed up at the end of January and so far there hasn't seemed much decrease in junk mail. This morning I received one of those ubiquitous AOL disks, so I phoned up the MPS. I was told that it takes 4 months for your registration to become effective - the end of May in my case. So, be patient.

MovedGoalPosts
07-03-2005, 21:08
It does work, just give it time. You have to wait for organisations to get through scrubbing their lists. It doen't catch everything as not everybody subscribes to it, and if you've allowed yourself to be part of a mailing list, it will take even longer for your removal (I always tick the dont send me stuff box on any forms I fill out). Still as it costs nothing to sign up, it's worthwhile.

Doesn't stop all the directly delivered junk that Royal Mail now do though :(

Bifta
08-03-2005, 01:45
I signed up at the end of January and so far there hasn't seemed much decrease in junk mail. This morning I received one of those ubiquitous AOL disks, so I phoned up the MPS. I was told that it takes 4 months for your registration to become effective - the end of May in my case. So, be patient.

I signed up a fair while ago (last September) yet NTL still send me at least one piece of junk mail a week begging me to take their services, I still get constant letters from Sky asking me the same (even though we already have a Sky subscription in my g/f's name). Strikes me the MPS is more than little useless, much like the TPS which also hasn't decreased the number of stupid phone calls I get from indians trying to flog me either Toucan Telecom's or Tele2's service. There are day's when I wish the phone (and letterbox) could be somehow wired to the mains so I could somehow shock the b@stards into a hospital bed.

Theodoric
08-03-2005, 20:52
I signed up a fair while ago (last September) yet NTL still send me at least one piece of junk mail a week begging me to take their services, I still get constant letters from Sky asking me the same (even though we already have a Sky subscription in my g/f's name). Strikes me the MPS is more than little useless, much like the TPS which also hasn't decreased the number of stupid phone calls I get from indians trying to flog me either Toucan Telecom's or Tele2's service. There are day's when I wish the phone (and letterbox) could be somehow wired to the mains so I could somehow shock the b@stards into a hospital bed.
I have an idea that if you originally asked them for info or have had dealings with them, which presumably applies to ntl (and Sky?) in your case, that the firm can continue sending you junk mail. I stand ready to be corrected by anyone more knowledgeable on the subject.

paulyoung666
08-03-2005, 21:31
i have seen a massive reduction in both letters and phone calls ( after using the telephone preference service ) , if someone rings up cold calling then a quick mention about it soon sends them packing :D :D :D :D

zoombini
09-03-2005, 09:50
All these comments & so far no linkypoos....

Telephone one (http://www.tpsonline.org.uk/tps/)
Mail one (http://www.mpsonline.org.uk/mpsr/).

here (http://www.doorstoppers.info/index2_LG.htm) also has further info.

allieyoung666
09-03-2005, 10:34
I am sorry I have to agree with Pauly!!!!! There has been no let up at all, infact there has been even more!!!!!!

Gogogo
09-03-2005, 10:44
MPS is very good absotutely 100% effective for us.

I think that what people may be experiencing is the contract the Royal Mail has to deliver advertising material, which is not addressed to each occupier so therefore getting round the MPS ruling. Perhaps it may be time for the Royal Mail to be made aware that people don't want this material either.

:)