PDA

View Full Version : House sale prices

molly
06-03-2005, 21:07
I am not sure this is in the correct thread but here goes

I am looking to find the price that a house sold for in the UK, I know there are plenty of sites out there that do this but all I can find is sites that want to charge me on my credit card for doing this.
Does anyone know of a site where I could find this information without having to give or use my credit card.

homealone
06-03-2005, 21:20
http://www.nethouseprices.com/

molly
06-03-2005, 21:50
http://www.nethouseprices.com/

Thankyou sorted

homealone
06-03-2005, 22:00
Thankyou sorted

no problem - but to point it out, I found the link by using the search option on this site :p: ;) :)

Charlie_Bubble
06-03-2005, 22:30
Cool site. My flat has probably doubled in price since I bought it 6 years ago! :D

Flubflow
06-03-2005, 22:38
Cool site. My flat has probably doubled in price since I bought it 6 years ago! :D

Trouble is that the house you want to buy next will have also doubled too :(
So, unless you are in the business of property investment or moving up north then it makes no difference how much it is worth. ;)

Charlie_Bubble
06-03-2005, 22:46
So, unless you are in the business of property investment or moving up north then it makes no difference how much it is worth. ;)

But that's the thing. The next house I buy hopefully won't be in this country and certainly won't be in this area! :D

ian@huth
06-03-2005, 23:48
So, unless you are in the business of property investment or moving up north then it makes no difference how much it is worth. ;)You can stay in the same location and take advantage of house price increases. Many older people have had large houses when they were bringing up a family and can comfortably downsize once the kids have flown the roost and pocket a nice tidy sum. :) We combined downsizing from a large 4 bedroom house in Essex to a 3 bedroom house here, got rid of mortgages, pocketed some cash and continued with the endowment policy we had to cover the mortgage. A nice big fat addition to our finances when that matures in a couple of years.

ScaredWebWarrior
08-03-2005, 14:41
We combined downsizing from a large 4 bedroom house in Essex to a 3 bedroom house here, got rid of mortgages, pocketed some cash and continued with the endowment policy we had to cover the mortgage. A nice big fat addition to our finances when that matures in a couple of years.

You must be one of those lucky ones that didn't get letters from their mortgage company(s) to tell you how the endowments weren't going to do it for you.

There's no way knowing how bad those shortfalls could be, so as an investment for the future it's not looking as secure as it once did.

Xaccers
08-03-2005, 14:50
You must be one of those lucky ones that didn't get letters from their mortgage company(s) to tell you how the endowments weren't going to do it for you.

There's no way knowing how bad those shortfalls could be, so as an investment for the future it's not looking as secure as it once did.

Think of it like this (I've tried explaining it to my parents soooo many times)
You take out a £50K mortgage.
Your house is now worth £250K, your endowment will only be worth £40K
You sell up, pay off the £50K leaving you £200K in your pocket.
Buy a house in a cheaper area for £150K, you've still got £50K in your pocket, no mortgate, but keep the endowment going so in the near future when it matures you'll have the £40K (not as much as you were hoping, but still better than nothing especially if you don't have a mortgage any more)

It's why the markets up north tend to keep going up while the SE markets stagnate or drop.
People in the SE sell up, buy a house that may even be bigger up north, pay off the mortgage, get a lower paid job with maybe less stress and enjoy life.

molly
09-03-2005, 15:55
is it right you have to put your nat insurance number mortgage details
as was told this is government policy now to stop people coming into the country buying up houses

ian@huth
09-03-2005, 16:50
Think of it like this (I've tried explaining it to my parents soooo many times)
You take out a £50K mortgage.
Your house is now worth £250K, your endowment will only be worth £40K
You sell up, pay off the £50K leaving you £200K in your pocket.
Buy a house in a cheaper area for £150K, you've still got £50K in your pocket, no mortgate, but keep the endowment going so in the near future when it matures you'll have the £40K (not as much as you were hoping, but still better than nothing especially if you don't have a mortgage any more)

It's why the markets up north tend to keep going up while the SE markets stagnate or drop.
People in the SE sell up, buy a house that may even be bigger up north, pay off the mortgage, get a lower paid job with maybe less stress and enjoy life.
There was an article in the local paper quite a few years ago where one chap who lived near London decided to move up north when train times dropped to the level that he could travel to work from South Yorkshire/Nottinghamshire by train in the same time it took to commute from his home down there. He sold his large house which had been in the family for generations for around £400,00 0 and bought a new large four bedroom house up north for £100,00 0. He found the journey to work much less stressful and could do some of his work on the train. He was actually travelling much further but having more free time at home.

He didn't commute for long though because his visits to northern estate agents prompted him to buy up a lot of cheap terrace houses at £10k to £15k each, improve them and rent them out. In no time he was making far more in rents than he had been earning down south so he decided to pack in working and just carry on building up his housing stock.

etccarmageddon
09-03-2005, 17:04
is it right you have to put your nat insurance number mortgage details
as was told this is government policy now to stop people coming into the country buying up houses

NI and tax details are asked for on the mortgage application I've just done but this is probably nothing to do with government policy as you dont need a mortgage to buy a house! most likely it's for credit checking purposes. the land registry does record prices etc and this is checked by the tax office in order to look out for dodgy deals.

when you buy a house the solictor will need to see passport/driving licence types of ID as part of government/law rules re money laundering.

molly
09-03-2005, 17:35
NI and tax details are asked for on the mortgage application I've just done but this is probably nothing to do with government policy as you dont need a mortgage to buy a house! most likely it's for credit checking purposes. the land registry does record prices etc and this is checked by the tax office in order to look out for dodgy deals.

when you buy a house the solictor will need to see passport/driving licence types of ID as part of government/law rules re money laundering.

got ya thankyou :)