PDA

View Full Version : ip addresses

swansong
06-03-2005, 19:32
Can you let me know if ntl users in different houses could have the same ip address if they were posting at the same time?

We run a website and we feel we have the problem that somebody is pretending to be two different people, they have the same ip addy at the same time but claim to live in the same town in different streets? :Yikes:

I understand that two different posters could be given the same ip address if they are on at different times, but at the same time, continously??

ntl doesnt seem to be to worried about this problem, but we would like to know as we are concerned that the person is deliberately winding others up

Over to you guys, can you help us out here?

Tezcatlipoca
06-03-2005, 19:38
:welcome:

They couldn't have the same actual IP address if they are two different people.

However, it's possible that they are both using the same proxy server, & this could be what is being reported by your website.

swansong
06-03-2005, 19:44
Thank you for your welcome Matt :tu:

When you say the same proxy server, does this mean if they are neighbours they could still have the same ip addy for that reason?

So if they were the same person or if one start sending abuse messages or something, would ntl not know if they were the same person? :shrug:

Sorry just edited this message they have an identical ip all four parts are the same, surely if they are on the same proxy server, they would still have something identifying them?

Hans Gruber
06-03-2005, 19:45
Could possibly be using the same connection with some kind of wireless network, but the streets would have to be pretty close.

swansong
06-03-2005, 19:45
Yep they are both on ntl

Tezcatlipoca
06-03-2005, 19:49
Thank you for your welcome Matt :tu:

When you say the same proxy server, does this mean if they are neighbours they could still have the same ip addy for that reason?

So if they were the same person or if one start sending abuse messages or something, would ntl not know if they were the same person? :shrug:

Sorry just edited this message they have an identical ip all four parts are the same, surely if they are on the same proxy server, they would still have something identifying them?

Every cable modem connection has it's own different IP address.

But also, ntl use "transparent web proxies" on their service. Some websites will record the IP of the web proxy server someone is using, rather than their actual IP address.

So, depending on what format the IP you've noticed takes, it could be that it's the same person as they have the same IP, or it could potentially be different people, who happen to be on the same proxy.

If you do a reverse DNS on the IP address, what does it come out like? Don't post the whole thing, btw.

See here for what normal IPs are like: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/cmtips/ipaddr.html

And here for a list of web proxies: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/cmtips/trancache.html#ntl

Paul
06-03-2005, 19:52
If they are on ntl, then the website is almost certainly recording the ip address of the proxy server they are being routed through, not their real ip addresses - and this will be the same for the whole area they are in (Nottingham for example).

That list of proxy servers (in Matt's post) is way out of date - try these ;

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/article.php?a=10

or

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/article.php?a=11

swansong
06-03-2005, 20:02
I got this lutn-cache-3.server.ntli.net

How do I do reverse dns?

Mick
06-03-2005, 20:02
That list of proxy servers doesn't look out of date to me on Robin's site BTW. :confused:

Tezcatlipoca
06-03-2005, 20:06

How do I do reverse dns?

Doesn't matter - you already have. Reverse DNS is when you take the IP & turn it into a name.

Anyway.... that is an ntl proxy server address - not an actual user's address. So it's not proof that these two users are actually the same person - sorry!

Paul
06-03-2005, 20:08

How do I do reverse dns?That is the reverse dns answer. If that's the ip in question then it's the Luton 3 Proxy server.

swansong
06-03-2005, 20:08
So is there no other way to check then?

Paul
06-03-2005, 20:10
That list of proxy servers doesn't look out of date to me on Robin's site BTW. :confused:Actually it isn't - he's obviously updated it since I last checked. :blush:

So is there no other way to check then?Not unless you have access to the code for the site, and can add some proxy detection code to the logging.

swansong
06-03-2005, 20:24
hmmm interesting thought, detection code, will look into that

Meanwhile is there somebody within ntl that we can email with a list of the email addresses these ip numbers are using, as there is now 4 of them, claiming to be 3 different people?

Mick
06-03-2005, 20:59
But they could be three different people. I do not think ntl will take any action anyway unless it was quite serious and someone was being abusive or using threatening behaviour. The best suggestion really is to try and configure your website so that it logs REAL IP addresses and you can then take whatever action you think is then necessary. :)

swansong
07-03-2005, 09:00
Meanwhile is there somebody within ntl that we can email with a list of the email addresses these ip numbers are using, as there is now 4 of them, claiming to be 3 different people?

Does anybody know if there is anybody, or somewhere

Nemesis
07-03-2005, 09:04
The problem you have is that there could be hundreds of users of that proxy server .... and giving you the IP addresses that are attaching to it wouldn't actually help you.

Paul
07-03-2005, 09:20
Does anybody know if there is anybody, or somewhereUnless they are doing something majorly illegal then ntl are not going to have any interest.