PDA

View Full Version : Uni Applications

Damien
05-03-2005, 18:53
I have applied for University in september and wanted to know what happens after i get my grades. What do i need to do in september?

Plonking
05-03-2005, 18:59
it depends on what offers you have received - did you do it through UCAS? in that case you should choose a main and an insurance offer, and then wait for your grades to see what happens.. they will send you a letter saying you have been accepted if you get the right grades and so on..

P

Damien
05-03-2005, 19:01
yeah. I have made my choices and so forth.

What happens after my grades? I am planning a holiday in september and wanted to know if there is anything i need to do for uni in september?

Bex
05-03-2005, 19:01
it depends on what offers you have received - did you do it through UCAS? in that case you should choose a main and an insurance offer, and then wait for your grades to see what happens.. they will send you a letter saying you have been accepted if you get the right grades and so on..

P

exactly.... the uni's normally get in touch with you a couple of days after... or if your really worried call the relevant department:D
the uni normally sends you info on halls as well

punky
05-03-2005, 19:07
yeah. I have made my choices and so forth.

What happens after my grades? I am planning a holiday in september and wanted to know if there is anything i need to do for uni in september?

You should be notified in August wether your first choice will take you. If they won't, and your second choice won't, then you will go into UCAS clearing, where they will find you a space. You need to be around for that, but that should be mid-august.

Providing you get accepted, there will be a couple of forms to fill out, but a holiday shouldn't disrupt that too much. In Sept, you do need to sort out accomodation, like if you want to go into halls, uni owned homes, or a privately owned home.

I think you need to sort out your student loan, and any grants you get with your Local Education Authority (LEA)

Plonking
05-03-2005, 19:07
from what I remember, after they send you the letter, you have to send back an official one saying which of the two choices you have chosen to use, and which you have turned down. beyond that, just turn up when you need to in september or october :)

just out of interest, where and what have you applied for?

also, dont forget to sort out loans and stuff in the next few months, otherwise you may not get your money in time!!!

P

Damien
05-03-2005, 19:15
Can I sort out my loans before august? They would want proof i am a student! Should I wait until i complete my finance forms?

Also what is a UCAS acceptance letter.

My Uni choices: 1. Kent 2. Westminster

Plonking
05-03-2005, 19:20
um yeah i think you have to sort out the loans and fees before august - before may if i remember, but I'm probably wrong, as I was always screwing up my forms... :D

thinking about it though, things may have changed since i did it - the forms for fees and for the loan were altogether when I did it, I'm sure if it is still like that or not...

the acceptance letter is i presume the one where they formally offer you a place at a certain university after you have acheived what they set out for you in a conditional or unconditional offer...

what course are you aiming to do?

P

Tezcatlipoca
05-03-2005, 19:21
My Uni choices: 1. Kent

Kent at Canterbury (UKC)?

I did my degree there (96-99). Very good place.

Damien
05-03-2005, 19:23
multimedia computing.

Kent at Canterbury (UKC)?

I did my degree there (96-99). Very good place.

Yep. Cool! What degree did you do

Tezcatlipoca
05-03-2005, 19:36
Yep. Cool! What degree did you do

Molecular & Cellular Biology.

UKC was great. Have you visited it at all?

The campus is on top of a hill, overlooking the city. There's four colleges, each with their own halls & bar etc - Keynes, Darwin, Rutherford & Elliot. There's also "Parkwood", which is effectively a student housing estate on the campus, if you want to live in a self-catered house, but stay on campus.

I lived in the halls in Keynes in my first year. And, IMO, it was definitely the best college. It was newer than the other three, & some of the rooms were ensuite (unlike the other colleges). Rutherford was nick-named "Rubber-food", although to be honest, none of the college canteens did particularly great food.

When I graduated in '99, they were building a few new things on campus... more shops, a club, etc etc. I'd imagine there's now a lot more there than when I was at UKC.

Canterbury itself is a very nice place. Quite like Cambridge in some respects. The city has some fairly decent shops, quite a few nice pubs & bars, couple of clubs (although they're not so great), cinema (plus, when I was there at least, they used to show films in one of the lecture halls...kind of an on-campus cinema), some very nice areas (also some not nice areas). The cathedral is quite a good place to visit.

Damien
05-03-2005, 19:43
Going for an open day on the 16th and already visted the uni for an open day

Hopefully going for a en-suite room. Although I was worried about the restrictions they put on the internet in the rooms. No iTunes Music store etc etc

Tezcatlipoca
05-03-2005, 19:45
Cool. Good luck with the application :)

greencreeper
05-03-2005, 19:48
Prepare for queues. Some Uni's have activities to do, to help you settle in. I seem to recall hunting for a duck to take a picture of. Stay in Halls if you can - they're the hub of the Uni social scene and where you'll make friends for life. Find the doc's and join the queue to register. Ditto the Student Union queue for a Union card. It can't hurt to read around your first year subjects a little. Loans and grants = lots of paperwork. Lean on the authorities to sort things out - take forever otherwise. Find Student Services and get details of what grants and loans are available from the Uni. You'll need the help when you're down to your last bottle of ketchup, plus in your 2nd year (and beyond) they should help you avoid the dodgy landlords.

I think that's it :erm:

Maggy
05-03-2005, 19:55
OK.When the UCAS form is dealt with the relevant universities may well invite you for an interview.After that they will then let you know if they want you and what grades they expect for you to finally be accepted in Sepember.

As soon as you have any firm offers you need to get the student loan forms sorted.This is a biggy and your parents will have to be involved if you are dependant upon them.They will have to supply all sorts of evidence about income.

After that you will get a reply saying what you will get as a loan and what you/your parents have to pay for fees(dependant on what they earn)

When August comes and you get yor results if they match what the uni's wanted you have no probs.If they do not you MUST contact the uni you chose and also talk to UCAS.If your chosen uni won't accept a lower grade then UCAS hopefully can find you an alternative.THEN you have to sort out a place to live.Some universities like their first year students to stay on campus so you will have to organise all that stuff.Most uni's have a freshman couple of weeks so that they can get you settled before courses start.

I think you would be better taking your holidaybefore the results day in August by the way because September will be too busy for you.You have very little to do in August apart from sit around and worry about your results.

Good Luck. :)

Incog.

Damien
05-03-2005, 20:00
Cool thanks

I am applying to live on campus soon. I am going for a visit day which is related directly to the course then while there i should have a better idea. I want to get the money side of things done quickly but the forms havent arrived at the college yet.

allieyoung666
05-03-2005, 20:04
What I can remeber, was that I went for teeside, leeds and northumbria. My grades were okay and I got offered all 3, but I choose Teeside {big mistake}. Just be carefull of what choices you make, I wish I had gone to Leeds as my Sister was there studying textile design and I went to Teeside as I could not stand the thought of being away from my parents. But I did not have any freedom, unlike my twin ! And if you decide the uni is not for you, drop out and then you can start again next year [do not suffer it like I did!]. Just make wise choices look for a job as well as the extra cash is really handy. Nursing agencies are always on the look out for carers and the money is excellent and you work when you want to work!

Tezcatlipoca
05-03-2005, 20:05
I definitely second what greencreeper said about living in halls rather than in a house. More chance of making more friends than if you're off campus.

I lived off-campus in the 2nd year & 3rd year, but avoided the whole dodgy landlord thing by living in a house owned by the Uni (UKC owns - or at least owned - quite a few houses in the city).

Damien
05-03-2005, 20:08
The on campus accomadation is closed when term is not on am i right? (i.e. christmas and easter)

allieyoung666
05-03-2005, 20:10
yeah, they tend to let them to overseas students over the holidays as they do not have nowhere to go

Maggy
05-03-2005, 20:15
What I can remeber, was that I went for teeside, leeds and northumbria. My grades were okay and I got offered all 3, but I choose Teeside {big mistake}. Just be carefull of what choices you make, I wish I had gone to Leeds as my Sister was there studying textile design and I went to Teeside as I could not stand the thought of being away from my parents. But I did not have any freedom, unlike my twin ! And if you decide the uni is not for you, drop out and then you can start again next year [do not suffer it like I did!]. Just make wise choices look for a job as well as the extra cash is really handy. Nursing agencies are always on the look out for carers and the money is excellent and you work when you want to work!

It is possible that if you do find a course or a university are not for you that UCAS can help you to find an alternative.Don't forget that many students DO drop out before the first year is up leaving a space on a course.Too many of them do it and the course may well become unviable so they will always accept a new student provided not too much time has passed.It's always worth asking.

Sometimes it has led some students to go for a course and subject that they would never have thought of doing with serendipitous results.They find themselves embarking on a career that is miles away from what they planned and are much happier. :D

allieyoung666
05-03-2005, 20:19
I am currently at Durham and the amount I have seen drop out of my course over the past couple of months has been bad. We have even had a meeting regarding this as nobody can understand why. I think some of them think that it was going to be an easy ride, but it has been one of the hardest courses I have been on and I am switching to the OU as their study plans are more flexible, plus the fact I can study in the comfort of my own home, without worrying about Paul and the boys

Maggy
05-03-2005, 20:22
I am currently at Durham and the amount I have seen drop out of my course over the past couple of months has been bad. We have even had a meeting regarding this as nobody can understand why. I think some of them think that it was going to be an easy ride, but it has been one of the hardest courses I have been on and I am switching to the OU as their study plans are more flexible, plus the fact I can study in the comfort of my own home, without worrying about Paul and the boys

Snigger!No chance now you have discovered this place... :D

allieyoung666
05-03-2005, 20:24
dont say that!!!!! I blame Paul. I will finish my Course hahahaha

Dave Stones
05-03-2005, 21:26
The on campus accomadation is closed when term is not on am i right? (i.e. christmas and easter)

don't assume that; my uni accommodation was a 42 week contract, ran from the 23rd september until sometime in june. some of the universities had contracts that didnt run over christmas and easter.

here at birmingham, the self-catering halls had the 42 week contracts and the catered halls had contracts that made you get out over easter and christmas.

i stayed in a self catering hall, the freedom you have in these is so much more than in a catered hall. don't know what your uni is like but here, the catered halls had about 12 people on one corridor sharing one kitchen, whereas the self catering ones had 4 or 5 people to a kitchen. the self catering halls were also much bigger and nicer, and also you had much more flexibility -- big night out didnt mean you missed breakfast the next morning from sleeping in, cos you could cook it yourself and cook what you wanted :)

after you get your results on results day, if you know that you will get into your first choice, do nothing. if your grades are not enough or borderline for your first choice, ring up immediately and be prepared to be on hold for ages. mine were borderline grades but i rang up admissions and they let me in anyway, it is definitely worth checking. you then get a letter from ucas basically saying "congratulations, university X has accepted you from course Y, your university will be in touch shortly blah blah".

after this, yo will probably get your accommodation contract, and your tution fee payment form. until you pay your fees, you can't register at uni.

then, once all the forms are filled in and sorted, sit back and wait for freshers' month :)

my student loan form came this week, these have to be into your LEA by the end of april. so pester your college :)