PDA

View Full Version : NTL phone line installation costs

Graham
05-03-2005, 18:42
I'm going to move to a new house that, as far as I know, has a BT line, but no NTL connection and I want a second phone line.

I want to keep the BT line because I plan on getting Sky+ but BT want £75 to install a new line, however, as far I can see from their site, NTL don't have an installation charge (or, at least, I can't find one mentioned!) but I would like to confirm this before I go ahead!

So can someone let me know if there *is* a hidden charge that NTL aren't mentioning and because it seems odd that they're not making a big deal of this on their comparison charts etc.

Nikko
05-03-2005, 18:51
There are no hidden nasties - its a free install/connection presently (or at least is is in my region - may be worth checking locally)

The Sky+ will happily update over an ntl line, so you don't need a BT one for that reason

If you need a 2nd line then this is £7.50/m with ntl :)

Graham
06-03-2005, 00:15
The Sky+ will happily update over an ntl line, so you don't need a BT one for that reason

Are you sure about this? Everything I can recall having seen has lead me to believe that a BT line was needed for Sky and Sky+

No offence, but I really do want to get confirmation on this :)

If you need a 2nd line then this is £7.50/m with ntl :)

I do already have a second ntl line at my current place, if I can use Sky+ with the ntl line it should save a bunch of hassles with transferring numbers etc!

ADDENDUM: I'm also looking at ntl's "Pay as you go" 512kb BB offer with the 3-2-1 charging (which fits my calling pattern best) and they give free modem and connection too, so that would also be a benefit!

ian@huth
06-03-2005, 00:33
Graham, I have Sky and Sky+ and only a NTL telephone line. It doesn't matter who supplies the line as long as the STB can access a line when instructed by satellite signal to call home via a 0800 number.

If you are moving to a NTL cabled area, which I presume you are, you cannot take advantage of the NTL Freedom products which is what I believe you are talking about in your addendum.

Graham
06-03-2005, 00:45
If you are moving to a NTL cabled area, which I presume you are

Yes (actually I'm moving to the next street over!)

you cannot take advantage of the NTL Freedom products which is what I believe you are talking about in your addendum.

Ah. Bugger :(

I thought it was too good to be true!

I was also looking at "Lobsterpot Broadband" that seemed to be offering a great deal (512kb for £13.99 IIRC) but then I discovered it was only that price for the first half GB, then they would charge you extra up to 1GB for £24.99 (I think) which wasn't so great after all!)

The problem is that the BB market is *so* full of "confusion marketting", eg "broadband from £8.99" but that's actually really only 300b or 512kb for £13.99 (but only for the first three months then it doubles) that you can't compare apples with apples and that is a real pain.

ian@huth
06-03-2005, 00:55
Yes (actually I'm moving to the next street over!)

Ah. Bugger :(

I thought it was too good to be true!

I was also looking at "Lobsterpot Broadband" that seemed to be offering a great deal (512kb for £13.99 IIRC) but then I discovered it was only that price for the first half GB, then they would charge you extra up to 1GB for £24.99 (I think) which wasn't so great after all!)

The problem is that the BB market is *so* full of "confusion marketting", eg "broadband from £8.99" but that's actually really only 300b or 512kb for £13.99 (but only for the first three months then it doubles) that you can't compare apples with apples and that is a real pain.
Yes, there are so many different offers that selection of the best is difficult and todays best may not be tomorrows. Broadband has changed a lot in the past 12 months and will probably change even more in the next 12. If you venture to ADSL I would look for a supplier with a short contract period.

Nikko
06-03-2005, 02:04
Are you sure about this? Everything I can recall having seen has lead me to believe that a BT line was needed for Sky and Sky+

I do already have a second ntl line at my current place, if I can use Sky+ with the ntl line it should save a bunch of hassles with transferring numbers etc!

ADDENDUM: I'm also looking at ntl's "Pay as you go" 512kb BB offer with the 3-2-1 charging (which fits my calling pattern best) and they give free modem and connection too, so that would also be a benefit!

Mate you are paranoid - have I ever lied to you before?

My analysis of your requirements would be 1 phone line on 321 which will allow the sky+ box to update as required and will suit ( as you stated) your calling needs - Broadband (which does not require a 2nd line at whichever speed fits your needs [see elsewhere on here for speed/price/cap comparisons] - sorted

h3adru5h
06-03-2005, 18:07
Something worth remembering - BT and SKY to many deals together and the information given by both can appear very misleading at times.

A phone line is essentially the same with whatever company you do with. The only service that may be incompatible at times is internet dial-up services. This again isn't necessarily the line however but instead the companies involved.

Graham
06-03-2005, 23:08

Mate you are paranoid

WHICH ONE OF MY ENEMIES TOLD YOU THAT???!!! ;)

- have I ever lied to you before?

Everyone makes mistakes, I just want to be certain :)

My analysis of your requirements would be 1 phone line on 321 which will allow the sky+ box to update as required and will suit ( as you stated) your calling needs - Broadband (which does not require a 2nd line at whichever speed fits your needs [see elsewhere on here for speed/price/cap comparisons] - sorted

Yep, that's more or less what I'm thinking now.

One phone will transfer to the BT line, I'll get NTL to put in the new one (it's for the business fax/ answerline number, but I'm not telling them it's a "business line" otherwise they'll try to charge me like I'm running a call centre or something!)

I'll then sort out some BB service (still not sure which) on the BT line and link the Sky+ box to whichever is convenient and maybe hook up to 18866 if it looks worthwhile.

Nikko
07-03-2005, 01:01

Nearly all of them - they created a Consortium and consolodated their statement as a status quo thing ;)

One phone will transfer to the BT line, I'll get NTL to put in the new one (it's for the business fax/ answerline number, but I'm not telling them it's a "business line" otherwise they'll try to charge me like I'm running a call centre or something!)

I'll then sort out some BB service (still not sure which) on the BT line and link the Sky+ box to whichever is convenient and maybe hook up to 18866 if it looks worthwhile.

Umm get ntl for broadband, get a phone line free with it on the current offer, if you really need a 2nd line then get that @ £7.50 and use either to update your Sky+ there are 4 various call plans on ntl one of which will suit your calling needs and you are then not paying 3 various suppliers every month.

Graham
07-03-2005, 01:13

Nearly all of them - they created a Consortium and consolodated their statement as a status quo thing ;)

AARGH! (Looks out of the window for Black Helicopters...!)

Umm get ntl for broadband, get a phone line free with it on the current offer,

Oh gods, *more* bloody confusion marketing!! Thanks for pointing that one out.

if you really need a 2nd line

Yep, it means that I can ignore the business line if it rings outside of office hours or turn it off when I'm asleep so it doesn't wake me up!

Only important people get the private phone number that's by my bed :)

then get that @ £7.50 and use either to update your Sky+ there are 4 various call plans on ntl one of which will suit your calling needs and you are then not paying 3 various suppliers every month.

Thanks again for all the help :)

Nikko
07-03-2005, 01:23

You are most welcome - if you call on 0800 052 2000 I am sure Sales will be able to give you a consultation with some very interesting offers that will provide a solution.

Graham
07-03-2005, 01:24

You are most welcome - if you call on 0800 052 2000 I am sure Sales will be able to give you a consultation with some very interesting offers that will provide a solution.

Provided they're actually open... :mad:

Nikko
07-03-2005, 01:31
Provided they're actually open... :mad:

Well they are not presently - but they are during mainstream hours.