PDA

View Full Version : New Speed Upgrades 8th March. (Part 3)

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

Mick
05-03-2005, 16:10
Hi All....

We have again, received further reliable information regarding the long awaited ntl broadband speed upgrades. From 8th March 2005, 1MB, 2MB and 3MB broadband speed connections will be launched. ntl will be contacting existing customers and informing them of these upgrades.

It is important to note, that the majority of 750K and 1.5MB customers will be upgraded over the coming weeks. But some networks, in some areas need further upgrades, to ensure that all customers will eventually receive the speed upgrades though this might take some months.

Customers on the 750K package or 1.5MB package, will receive a FREE automatic upgrade to 2MB and 3MB. 750K customers with a black PACE Set top box and want to change to the new 2MB speed, need to arrange with ntl a Set top box swap, this will be a free swap.

Note that those 750K broadband customers with a black PACE Set top box, will receive a FREE automatic upgrade to 1MB if they do not arrange a Set top box swap as the black pace set top boxes are only able to provide the maximum of 1MB speed connection. Also note that there will be no change to the usage allowance (1GB daily).

300K customers will not be upgraded automatically. Customers can upgrade to 1MB if they accept a 3GB monthly usage allowance. Customers can either upgrade online or by calling customer services.

Once customers have upgraded to the new speeds, they will be unable to change back to the old speeds. Existing customers on 300K, 750K and 1.5MB cannot move between old speeds.

Just to remind customers of the upgrades and prices and usage allowances of these new speeds:-

* 300K = 1MB Price: £17.99 Usage allowance: 3GB Monthly
* 750K = 2MB Price: £24.99 Usage allowance: 1GB Daily
* 1.5MB = 3MB Price: £37.99 Usage allowance: 1GB Daily

Upload rates are as previously mentioned:-

1MB = 100K
2MB = 200K
3MB = 300K

Customers who exceed their usage allowance with the 1GB daily usage allowance may be contacted by ntl if their usage becomes excessive that it affects quality of service for other broadband customers. Customers on the 1MB connection with 3GB monthly usage, ntl will be monitoring and will identify those who exceed their usage allowance very often, however they will not be enforcing this allowance until later this year.

We have already posted a news item about this:-

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/article/145/ntl-broadband-upgrade-speeds-from-8th-march

JohnHorb
05-03-2005, 16:15
Customers on the 1MB connection with 3GB daily usage, ntl will be monitoring and will identify those who exceed their usage allowance very often, however they will not be enforcing this allowance until later this year.

***ahem** I think you'll be getting people excited about this - 3GB a DAY!:)

punky
05-03-2005, 16:18
Woot. I hope someone finds/produces a timetable for updates though, so at least we know when its happening.

But if the 3mb service has the same cap as the 2mb service, I might as well downgrade.... £156 a year is a lot of money.

Mick
05-03-2005, 16:18
***ahem** I think you'll be getting people excited about this - 3GB a DAY!:)

Oops - Thanks John - Now ammended. :Sprint:

Hans Gruber
05-03-2005, 16:21
Does anyone know which areas will actually be upgraded on Tuesday?

punky
05-03-2005, 16:26
Does anyone know which areas will actually be upgraded on Tuesday?

I have just caught this on DigitalSpy:

750K & 1.5Mb customers receive a free automatic upgrade to 2Mb and 3Mb,
there will be no change to their usage allowance & a postal letter will
inform them of their free upgrade (a webpage will inform them when their
upgrade will take place)

Halcyon
05-03-2005, 16:27
Hmm I think I'm going to get upgraded from my 300k to 1mb then.
I dont really know how much I use of the total 3GB monthly Cap.
Can anyone gve me any idea wether I would be going over if I do the following online:

- Download DJ mixes (About 100mb) 1 per week.
- Listen to online radio
- Download the odd video now and then.
- Lots of General net surfing

Would that be OK ?
Thanks.

ian@huth
05-03-2005, 16:34
Hmm I think I'm going to get upgraded from my 300k to 1mb then.
Can anyone gve me any idea wether I would be going over if I do the following online:

- Download DJ mixes (About 100mb) 1 per week.
- Listen to online radio
- Download the odd video now and then.
- Lots of General net surfing

Would that be OK ?
Thanks.It all depends on the bitrate of the online radio and the length of time you listen. Also how long the video is, how it is encoded and how often now and then is. I would imagine you would be OK but download NetMeter http://readerror.gmxhome.de/ or something similar and do some checking.

sav112
05-03-2005, 16:39
Hal Iâ₠™m in the same boat, I was hopeing to download stuff on the new service but will be happy to just see the speed.

I download the odd mp3

Surf the net

Play games and one game is FM2005 I play in a clan game and can be on 16hours:Yikes: a week. Itâ₠¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢s the only thing I feel might be trouble, Iâ₠™m not the host but have no idea what it uses. :confused:

Iâ₠™ll try that net meter thing on Sunday for the day as Iâ₠™m playing my clan game at night:tu:

punky
05-03-2005, 16:42
It depends on how long you listen to radio, and how many videos you download.

Radio can be anything upto 70meg/hour
Videos can be almost any size, but music videos in mpg/avi for 3-4 mins are normally around 30-40meg each.
Normal web browsing for me is around 20-50meg/day so 1.5gb/month tops

So you are looking at just under 2gb/month general usage, plus whatever radio and videos you watch. You will probably under 3gb/month providing you don't listen to the radio every day (or listen to it on low quality)

Geoff Payne
05-03-2005, 16:50
Try using 'Networx' bandwidth monitor. It's a free download and free 30 day trial. It will give you an idea of your typical daily usage and produces daily/weekly/monthly stats

GSP

Toto
05-03-2005, 16:57
It depends on how long you listen to radio, and how many videos you download.

Radio can be anything upto 70meg/hour
Videos can be almost any size, but music videos in mpg/avi for 3-4 mins are normally around 30-40meg each.
Normal web browsing for me is around 20-50meg/day so 1.5gb/month tops

So you are looking at just under 2gb/month general usage, plus whatever radio and videos you watch. You will probably under 3gb/month providing you don't listen to the radio every day (or listen to it on low quality)

Don't forget, its the total upload and download that counts towards your allowance, so whilst 1Mb speed/ 3Gb data per month sounds OK for general needs, just remeber that if you also play online games, your uploads will contribute to the overall data count. :Yikes:

ian@huth
05-03-2005, 16:58
Try using 'Networx' bandwidth monitor. It's a free download and free 30 day trial. It will give you an idea of your typical daily usage and produces daily/weekly/monthly stats

GSP
Hi Geoff and :welcome: to cableforum.

Sounds similar to Netmeter but Netmeter is free, not a trial.

Paul
05-03-2005, 17:06
Does anyone know which areas will actually be upgraded on Tuesday?I'm not sure anyone is being upgraded on the 8th - [new] users will be able to request these speeds as of the 8th - the upgrades will be over the next few weeks, but no specific starting date has been mentioned.

mcmanic
05-03-2005, 17:12
is there no post-code check like they did last time to give users a indication of when they get their free upgrade, when they did the 1.5meg upgrade i got it on the day they started automatically - hope this is the same (sussex area)

dilli-theclaw
05-03-2005, 17:15
Well I'm quite excited that by the time I finish work next week I /could/ well have my new speed :)

Bob
05-03-2005, 17:30
Maybe it wil appear at the same URL as last time...

http://www.ntlworld.com/data-feeds/editorial/microsites/upgrade/

Geoff Payne
05-03-2005, 17:38
Hi Geoff and :welcome: to cableforum.

Sounds similar to Netmeter but Netmeter is free, not a trial.

Hi Ian

I've just tried netmeter following your post.

Networx actually does a lot more, and will give you up and down traffic totals on daily / weekly / monthly basis not just display current bitrates. I used it at home when my son got a web cam, to see how much traffic he was was generating. The 30 day trial was enough to establish typical traffic levels.

Geoff

Mal
05-03-2005, 17:52
Into the 2nd page and part 3 seems to be quite civil upto now (touch wood). ;)

Can't wait for the upgrades myself...

dilli-theclaw
05-03-2005, 17:53

Can't wait for the upgrades myself...

For the record - I'm glad you said 'upto now' ;):)

JohnHorb
05-03-2005, 18:05
March 5th already, and I haven't got my upgrade yet:( (Well someone had to the the first to complain!) :)

scrotnig
05-03-2005, 18:06
That's because it starts on the 8th.

But not everyone will be upgraded that exact day.

MrBen
05-03-2005, 18:06
I'm developing a data usage estimator/calculator at http://ben.cheetham.me.uk/data-usage-calculator

It's not quite finished but it should help you to get some idea of what you're using.

Ben

JohnHorb
05-03-2005, 18:09
That's because it starts on the 8th.

But not everyone will be upgraded that exact day.

Ah, but if I waited 'til the 8th, I might miss the chance to be the first to complain.;)

melevittfl
05-03-2005, 18:12
Hmm.

The previous announcement listed the 2MB cap as 30GB/Month. This annoucement lists it as 1GB/Day.

Not exactly the same thing. So which is it?

MrBen
05-03-2005, 18:13
Hmm.

The previous announcement listed the 2MB cap as 30GB/Month. This annoucement lists it as 1GB/Day.

It appears to be the same as it is now, a gig a day.

Ben

Maggy
05-03-2005, 18:16
Hmm.

well now let me see...how many days in a month? ;)

melevittfl
05-03-2005, 18:16
It appears to be the same as it is now

From: http://www.cableforum.co.uk/article/139/ntl-broadband-speed-increases-update-3

"2Mbps Downloadââ‚ ‚¬Ã¢â‚¬Â200Kbps UploadÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šà ¬Ã¢â‚¬Â30GB Monthly Cap"

JohnHorb
05-03-2005, 18:20
This (daily or monthly) will only become an issue if and when they bring in hard caps - but all that is for the 'cap' thread. Let's not have another one!

looselipsuk
05-03-2005, 18:45
For anybody that needs an up and down bandwidth monitor that logs to a file that shows daily,monthly and yearly totals and also tells you a lot of PC information I can recommend C S Fire Monitor. It is free for home use.
I can supply a link for it or just do a Google search for Crofts Software.
Over the last 7 days my download has been 3.873GB and upload 350.602MB.

I am only supplying this information for anybody that needs a monitor.
As has been said, this thread is for increased speed and not cap.
I for one am over the moon that I will be getting a 2MB connection and I have no real problem about my usage pattern.

Stop It
05-03-2005, 19:03
Hmm, some good new at least, although its going to be interesting to see when Im set to be upgraded, Ill patiently wait at my letterbox past the 8th then :D

Albie
05-03-2005, 19:03
Yay! This is good news. I can't wait. :)

bopdude
05-03-2005, 19:16
It'll be interesting to see how much of the everyday events, ie d/ling / surfing etc etc will be improved on, if at all, what I mean is, that we might be getting the capability to surf faster but can the sites we frequent cope with our demands :shrug: interesting times ahead, can't wait ;)

fragless
05-03-2005, 19:17
:D that is very good news.

Carth
05-03-2005, 19:32
I'm developing a data usage estimator/calculator at http://ben.cheetham.me.uk/data-usage-calculator

It's not quite finished but it should help you to get some idea of what you're using.

Ben

Just used that (cheers m8 :tu: ) for a quick guide, comes out around 22 Gig (up + down), I play a fair amount of games online .... was wondering how much using Team Speak 4 hrs a day would add to it ? (although I expect I won't get near the cap anyway)

MrBen
05-03-2005, 20:44
Just used that (cheers m8 :tu: ) for a quick guide, comes out around 22 Gig (up + down), I play a fair amount of games online .... was wondering how much using Team Speak 4 hrs a day would add to it ? (although I expect I won't get near the cap anyway)
Thanks for the feedback Carth :)

I'm not familiar with Team Speak... is there a website? I'll then see what I can do :)

Ben

Tezcatlipoca
05-03-2005, 20:46
I'm not familiar with Team Speak... is there a website? I'll then see what I can do :)

http://www.goteamspeak.com/ :)

encaser
05-03-2005, 21:39
The rollout over possible months has me worried if my upgrade to 1.5mb is anything to go by, in that a mate who lives about 2 miles from me got his 3 months before I. Oh well, tick tock.

RustMan
05-03-2005, 21:44
As the news item has it:

750K customers with a black PACE Set top box and want to change to the new 2MB speed, need to arrange with ntl a Set top box swap

... so as the 'owner' of a black PACE box, if I get a new STB as part of the deal does that mean that interactive TV will actually work?

Now that would be a worthwhile novelty ...

Pete

garyparson
05-03-2005, 22:14
It does work better but it's not worth looking at anyway. Complete waste of time and money. I got my box swapped due to the pace box being a snap crackle and pop box. Just in time for the speed upgrades haha.

Does anyone know any areas that are not going to be switched on on the 8th? Or is this yet another case of 'coming soon'..

ian@huth
05-03-2005, 22:40
Hi Ian

I've just tried netmeter following your post.

Networx actually does a lot more, and will give you up and down traffic totals on daily / weekly / monthly basis not just display current bitrates. I used it at home when my son got a web cam, to see how much traffic he was was generating. The 30 day trial was enough to establish typical traffic levels.

Geoff
NetMeter does all this as well. The website for it does not show its full potential.

If you right click the icon in the system tray or the graph and choose "totals" you get daily, weekly and monthly totals for both upload, download and combined. You can reset the data transferred section of the totals tab to check during a specific period. You can also set your allowance (either upload, download or total) in the alarm section to warn you and it gives projected totals and average per day left.

pdjkeelan
05-03-2005, 23:34
The policy on the 2 & 3 Mbit services looks identical to that which they already have e.g. a soft-cap of 1GB/day where they will only disconnect you in the most extreme of circumstances if you degrade the network significantly for other users. I can understand them doing this, a hard cap would have been awful but i don't mind this soft cap. I feel sorry for 300k users but it's only a few £ more and you will get more than double the current speed.

martikus
05-03-2005, 23:38
Personally i'm looking forward to the new speeds and good on NTL for moving the date forward a bit. I was speaking to NTL tech support and they recon that coventry should be active if all goes well. can anyone from cable forum staff confirm this or was it just b/s by them? Anyway even if i have to wait ah well im on the 1.5m line and yes i will stay on it when the upgrade come through as i have my own website so the extra upload speed will come in handy. Bring it on!!!!!!:disturbd:

Maggy
05-03-2005, 23:43
The policy on the 2 & 3 Mbit services looks identical to that which they already have e.g. a soft-cap of 1GB/day where they will only disconnect you in the most extreme of circumstances if you degrade the network significantly for other users. I can understand them doing this, a hard cap would have been awful but i don't mind this soft cap. I feel sorry for 300k users but it's only a few £ more and you will get more than double the current speed.

To do what?At present I don't bother downloading anything much because it's too much hassle to wait for most large files especially video streaming.Of course if I just surf I may not hit the 3GB but I reckon with the amount of surfing I do it could still be rather tight not to run out of month before I run out of Cap.5 GB I could live with but 3 is a little low.It's not like I max out the system as a user after all.I don't really want 30GB but I don't want 3GB either.

Anyway this thread isn't really about the cap so back on topic.

ian@huth
05-03-2005, 23:47
Owners of black Pace STBs on the 750k service will be upgraded to 1Mb until they have the STB changed. Wonder what upload speed they will give them?

Myron
05-03-2005, 23:48
NTL should really supply an on-line tool that will show you're upload and download usage. Should be simple to provide to the customer if NTL has something already in place to monitor usage.

ian@huth
05-03-2005, 23:50
NTL should really supply an on-line tool that will show you're upload and download usage. Should be simple to provide to the customer if NTL has something already in place to monitor usage.
Apparently they don't otherwise we would probably be seeing hard caps earlier.

micah56
06-03-2005, 00:37
thanx 4 the news, i will give ntl a call on monday to swap my box

Halcyon
06-03-2005, 01:06
Ok well, currently on my 300k connection, In a period of nine hours, Netweeter reports a total use of 137.63mb.
I guess thats a lot due to listening to online radio for an hour and a half.
But still seems a lot, if the caps going to be 3gb per month.

Splink
06-03-2005, 02:31
Hi everyone. First post here :)

I'm pretty pleased that NTL are upgrading existing users for free, it's a cool thing for them to do. I'm not too fussed about the caps either. I very much doubt I'll go over 30Gb in a month, I rarely go over a gig a day. Can't understand all those people saying they're going to leave NTL because of the caps :confused: Personally I'd wait until they kick you off :p:. They say they aren't going to enforce the caps until later on and even then I'm willing to bet they'll only take action if you're messing up the service for other people. The cap just allows NTL to kick people off if they need to. I personally think NTL are great value for money for the type of service they run. The experience of friends suggests to me ADSL is not nearly as reliable as NTL's cable service. And what's more NTL have sexier modems. :)

Anyway, nice to be here.

Nikko
06-03-2005, 02:35
:welcome: Splink

I would agree with your comments entirely :)

At a loss
06-03-2005, 02:41
Well I have not read all the threads in here, but I would like to thank Mick for letting us know the dates and the state of play with the upgrades.

jrhnewark
06-03-2005, 06:20
With 102MB usage a day, most people (IMO) would go over the cap. :(

If anybody hasn't got a usage meter, try this: http://zoidberg.servehttp.com:8080/files/Software%20Downloads/NetMeter%202.exe :)

markmarkymark
06-03-2005, 07:30
thanks for providing this info ...

Personally I can not wait to 'down grade' to the 'higher speed' of 2Mbit (I'm on 1.5 MBit at the moment). I also brace myself for actually getting my downgrade approved and I sigh and hang my head as I get myself ready to fight the direct debit errors that I'm sure will exist after this downgrade :D

To be honest my dabble with file sharing has gone a bit boring now - I used to down load quite a bit :erm: (no comment on what I downloaded) and the speeds were then important. I visted HMV the other day and it was great to actually look around the store and choose some stuff - like the good old days ....

I know that not everyone who uses these high speeds file shares, nor am I saying that those that do download or share stuff are sharing stuff they should not ... but I just have the feeling that this use is bottoming out and it will take newer / better uses (TV / video / video conference calls with family or similar) to make the best of the new speeds (which will obviously get even faster over the next few years).

I could do with some more upload bandwidth for my website stuff but I can put up with 200k (I think the current 1.5 Mbit service is 250k upload..).

I will be saving around £120 a year :)

cheers

Mark

Can't understand all those people saying they're going to leave NTL because of the caps :confused: .

Hi!

Personally, I think until it becomes clear to all that you will never get something for nothing, and in most other walks of life you pay for what you use, then this (your quote) is the reaction you will get. I think people will leave NTL and go to others without CAPS or those with more 'generous' CAPs. But in the end, market forces will dictate an 'averaging' of services through out ISP providers - just look at dial up now for example.......

mark

jrhnewark
06-03-2005, 07:41
I'd really like to go upto 1Mb from 300k - knowing that for a few months, if I want to use anything from 200MB to 1GB a day, I can get away with it (and then upgrade to 2Mb for 30GB a month).

But if I can't afford to go upto 2Mb, will they be reintroducing 300k @ £15.99 a month before they start enforcing the caps on the new 1Mb?

The important questions have yet to be answered - and I'll have to hold my horses until I know for sure, personally.

Another question for somebody, somewhere - when the 3GB starts to be enforced, and I happen to use 3GB in 3/4 days, what will happen? The rest of the month at 56k speed? :Yikes:

Gogogo
06-03-2005, 08:35
Thanks to you Mick for keeping us informed.

The news is terrific and hats off to ntl for introducing the upgrade ahead of schedule, although clearly for some it may not quite so early, from one very happy customer.

:)

dodger
06-03-2005, 09:57
With 102MB usage a day, most people (IMO) would go over the cap. https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2005/11/7.gif

If anybody hasn't got a usage meter, try this: http://zoidberg.servehttp.com:8080/files/Software%20Downloads/NetMeter%202.exe https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2005/10/9.gif
I have just downloaded the Netmeterhttps://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2005/10/15.gif Thanks for the link.
I will be intrested to see my UL and DL usage as i play a lot on MOO/UF. I wonder? If the kids are upstairs playing on line and i downstairs playing on line at the same time. Will the UL and DL usages count as one.(as they are been used at the same time) or will they be added together?

Kliro
06-03-2005, 10:58
With 102MB usage a day, most people (IMO) would go over the cap. :(

If anybody hasn't got a usage meter, try this: http://zoidberg.servehttp.com:8080/files/Software%20Downloads/NetMeter%202.exe :)

Thats just over 3GB a month?

Is anybody else worried?

that when these new speeds come in, with no caps for the first few months, that people will be hammering them, everyone working at full tilt? I thought NTL already had trouble with people at the current speeds :confused:

chienmort
06-03-2005, 11:13
Is it 30Gb per month or 3 Gb per month? Also at may office everyone has a work ADSL install. I am glad to have NTL after their horror stories.;)

Geoff Payne
06-03-2005, 11:20
NetMeter does all this as well. The website for it does not show its full potential.

If you right click the icon in the system tray or the graph and choose "totals" you get daily, weekly and monthly totals for both upload, download and combined. You can reset the data transferred section of the totals tab to check during a specific period. You can also set your allowance (either upload, download or total) in the alarm section to warn you and it gives projected totals and average per day left.

Thanks Ian. Initially I did'nt suss the 'right-click' on the meter, which brings up all the options. :dunce: I have now! I will defintitely recommend this to some mates. The traffic cap warning could be particularly useful to high traffic generators contributing to the forum. Geoff

Halcyon
06-03-2005, 12:09
Is it 30Gb per month or 3 Gb per month? Also at may office everyone has a work ADSL install. I am glad to have NTL after their horror stories.;)

It is unfortunately 3GB a month !!! :Yikes:
If it was 30GB we'd all be in paradise.

BIGZIPZ
06-03-2005, 12:41
And we would all be downgrading and saving £20 a month :)

Paul
06-03-2005, 12:58
If you are currently on the 1.5M service, and don't mind a reduction in your upload speed from 256k to 200k, then the new 2M service will give you an increase in speed, and a saving of £156 a year. :)

punky
06-03-2005, 13:20
If you are currently on the 1.5M service, and don't mind a reduction in your upload speed from 256k to 200k, then the new 2M service will give you an increase in speed, and a saving of £156 a year. :)

The internet is very important to me, and so is the speed, but not so much important, that i'd pay that for 375k/s rather than 250k/s. I barely ever max out my 1.5mbps line anyway. Only large corporate servers, and popular occaisonal torrents do that.

cookie_365
06-03-2005, 17:10

lol !!

I'm pretty pleased that NTL are upgrading existing users for free, it's a cool thing for them to do. I'm not too fussed about the caps either. I very much doubt I'll go over 30Gb in a month, I rarely go over a gig a day. Can't understand all those people saying they're going to leave NTL because of the caps :confused: Personally I'd wait until they kick you off :p:. They say they aren't going to enforce the caps until later on and even then I'm willing to bet they'll only take action if you're messing up the service for other people. The cap just allows NTL to kick people off if they need to. I personally think NTL are great value for money for the type of service they run. The experience of friends suggests to me ADSL is not nearly as reliable as NTL's cable service. And what's more NTL have sexier modems. :)

Anyway, nice to be here.

Hi Splink - welcome to CF - good points there; pretty much sums up my view too ;)

iadom
06-03-2005, 18:17
Quick question for the Ntl peeps, I currently have two STB's, one in the lounge at the front of the house and a second box right round the back of the house ( bungalow ) to a bedroom, this 2nd box is used for the BB. Now I want to go onto the 2 Meg service and would need at least a new Samsung box in the bedroom, however I am thinking of moving my PC into the spare bedroom on the side of the house. What sort of cost would be involved in Ntl taking a feed from the cable that passes this bedroom and installing a SACM, would this be possible ?

Vegeta
06-03-2005, 18:58
I was amongst the first batch of people and the very first to report on the forums to recieve the 600k to 750k upgrade as shown here: http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?p=267025#post267025

I live about 5 miles away from one of ntl's buildings in Wythenshawe.

Do you think I will be amongst those who will be upgraded on the 8th of March? :D

I'm still on the 750k package with a Samsung STB.

Gogogo
06-03-2005, 18:59

... And what's more NTL have sexier modems. :)

This is most interesting and fascinating, sexy modems!!!

:D

Paul K
06-03-2005, 19:01
Quick question for the Ntl peeps, I currently have two STB's, one in the lounge at the front of the house and a second box right round the back of the house ( bungalow ) to a bedroom, this 2nd box is used for the BB. Now I want to go onto the 2 Meg service and would need at least a new Samsung box in the bedroom, however I am thinking of moving my PC into the spare bedroom on the side of the house. What sort of cost would be involved in Ntl taking a feed from the cable that passes this bedroom and installing a SACM, would this be possible ?
How about a long length of ethernet from the box round to the bedroom that the pc will be in? Or maybe a wireless setup? Might be the easier option.

glyn
06-03-2005, 19:23
I've only just seen this about upgrades but i don't understand why i need a new stb for my broadband connection - surely my tv's got nothing to do with my cable modem?

also are ntl going to provide us with software to monitor monthly downloads?

Vegeta
06-03-2005, 19:29
I've only just seen this about upgrades but i don't understand why i need a new stb for my broadband connection - surely my tv's got nothing to do with my cable modem?

You can get ntl broadband via a Stand Alone Cable Modem (SACM) or the Set Top Box (STB) which also has a Cable Modem in it.

Customers who are on the 750k or 1.5mbit package via the STB will need to have the box changed to the silver Samsung STB's since the old black PACE STB's can't handle speeds more than 1mbit.

jrhnewark
06-03-2005, 19:29

also are ntl going to provide us with software to monitor monthly downloads? Firstly, if you have a separate cable modem, you're fine. But some people don't - some people have their broadband connection coming straight from their STB.

NTL aren't going to be enforcing the 300k/1Mb cap until 'later in the year' - as I say, a good piece of freeware to monitor your usage is NetMeter - http://zoidberg.servehttp.com:8080/files/Software%20Downloads/NetMeter%202.exe :)

paul11974
06-03-2005, 19:50
how long i wonder will ntl take to swap the box ?

also how many 750k customers will need swapping over ?

Paul
06-03-2005, 20:05
also how many 750k customers will need swapping over ?all of them, if they want the new speed.

dbateman2k5
06-03-2005, 21:00
I'm getting my Pace DiTV2000 box swapped for a shiny new Samsung SMT2100 box on Thursday, as I phoned NTL customer services last Friday, and they said they can do the swap for me :)

Speed upgrade is a nice birthday pressie from ntl to me :) As it's my birthday on March 9th :)

bywater
06-03-2005, 22:10
This makes NTL new offering look very poor by comparison.

http://www.bulldogbroadband.com/residential/XPNP/NP/index.asp

purenuman
06-03-2005, 22:16

It does.....

If you can get it...............................

punky
06-03-2005, 22:18
It does.....

If you can get it...............................

All I can get is the 2mbps offering, and thats listed as £40/month :confused:

paulyoung666
06-03-2005, 22:19
yeah :o , try trawling through the speed thread , it is in there somewhere :D :D

Pea-Pod
06-03-2005, 22:39
I am very happy NTL are introducing these new speed upgrades. It means I get a new Samsung box too. :) I doubt I will go near the 30GB a month limit. Can you exceed that cap, by just surfing, and the occasional download?

purenuman
06-03-2005, 22:52
......I doubt I will go near the 30GB a month limit. Can you exceed that cap, by just surfing, and the occasional download?

If you try really hard :D :D :angel:

Paul
06-03-2005, 23:00
If you try really hard :D :D :angel:really, really, really hard. ;)

iadom
06-03-2005, 23:04
How about a long length of ethernet from the box round to the bedroom that the pc will be in? Or maybe a wireless setup? Might be the easier option.
I have miles of ethernet cable, I still have the full set up kit that Ntl sent me almost 12 months after I actually did my own set up without the kit :) , but the bungalow has solid floors and I don't really want ethernet cable running around the floors, hall etc. I have thought about a wireless connection for a long time, just wondered what the comparative costs would be for a SACM installation, as opposed to the wireless route.

Simcut
06-03-2005, 23:07
thanks for the info,

so with a 3mbit in the future, what will my upload speed be? currently it goes at 30 KB/s max on 1.5mbit, what will it be on 3mbit?

Foo Fighter
06-03-2005, 23:09
I'm getting my Pace DiTV2000 box swapped for a shiny new Samsung SMT2100 box on Thursday, as I phoned NTL customer services last Friday, and they said they can do the swap for me :)

Speed upgrade is a nice birthday pressie from ntl to me :) As it's my birthday on March 9th :)

Good luck they came to swop mine on friday but didnt have any sammys so gave me another pace for no reason. Rang up sat to see whats goin on and they didnt sound happy with the installer. A manager rang me back it will be sorted by 2pm monday if not i gotta ring back directly via the extension i was given.

Gave me compensation for sitting in all day friday since the installer said he'd be back later but never did. Probably be £5 or sommet stupid.

For the way they were talking i sounds like i got the installer in trouble which i didnt want to do, they've put me a really crappy position :(

Hans Gruber
06-03-2005, 23:20
thanks for the info,

so with a 3mbit in the future, what will my upload speed be? currently it goes at 30 KB/s max on 1.5mbit, what will it be on 3mbit?

You get about 35kbs download on the current 300k tier, so it should be about the same for 300k upload

Simcut
06-03-2005, 23:24
hmm, currently its 256 = 30 KB/s so I would guess 300 is about 40 KB/s ? :)

Paul
06-03-2005, 23:43
It will be about 36KB/s max :)

Simcut
06-03-2005, 23:46
ah, not much of a upstream upgrade is it? why didnt they just keep it at 30? ooo 6 kb/s :D :)

Paul
06-03-2005, 23:53
ah, not much of a upstream upgrade is it? why didnt they just keep it at 30? ooo 6 kb/s :D :)Every little bit counts. :D

jtwn
07-03-2005, 00:00
ah, not much of a upstream upgrade is it? why didnt they just keep it at 30? ooo 6 kb/s :D :)

Why didn't they keep it at 30 - gah, I don't understand your logic :confused:

Simcut
07-03-2005, 00:03
Every little bit counts. :D

I guess so :)

Why didn't they keep it at 30 - gah, I don't understand your logic :confused:

eh? I'm in agreement mate... :S

rick47
07-03-2005, 05:44
After reading the posts, I like to thank whoever got my attention for 'Netmeter', I am using it now and find it a GREAT prog, Just need now to see how much I use playing a game online for an hour. Once again many thanks.

etccarmageddon
07-03-2005, 07:55

not really comparable at the moment cos you can only get this product in a small set of locations.

http://www.bulldogbroadband.com/support/locations.asp

Electrolyte01
07-03-2005, 07:58
*sighs*

Sticking with 300K I guess then :erm:

iadom
07-03-2005, 10:31
I have just phoned Ntl Cs, spoke to a very pleasant Scottish lady, she did not know when the speed upgrades come into being, she checked and came back to inform me that they had no idea other than "the end of March" and advised me to wait until I received mail notification before ringing again.:(

When I mentioned the 8th of March she wanted to know how I had come by this info, she said the little bird I had been speaking to was better informed then her. :)

Neil
07-03-2005, 10:35
I have just phoned Ntl Cs, spoke to a very pleasant Scottish lady, she did not know when the speed upgrades come into being, she checked and came back to inform me that they had no idea other than "the end of March" and advised me to wait until I received mail notification before ringing again.:(

Ah-the old "get off the phone & wait for an email/phone call" BS. :rolleyes:

When I mentioned the 8th of March she wanted to know how I had come by this info, she said the little bird I had been speaking to was better informed then her. :)
As ever. ;)

Paul
07-03-2005, 10:52
Ah-the old "get off the phone & wait for an email/phone call" BS. :rolleyes:Ah, the old "have another dig post". :p: Why is it BS to tell a customer you don't know the full answer and to wait for more information ? - now if she had made up a date, that would be BS .....

Ben
07-03-2005, 11:03
Paul,

NTL are BS in general mate so Neil is completey right :) :rofl:

Myron
07-03-2005, 11:31
not really comparable at the moment cos you can only get this product in a small set of locations.

Yes, a small problem with some people ready have a go at NTL. BTstill have to get past the disatance limit on the so called "last mile of copper". Like getting 8Mb on ADSL. You got to be close enough to the exchange. If not then you have to settle for a lower speed. Where with NTL it's fiber to the large green boxes (the ones that have whirring fans and backup batteries within) and then coaxial cable for the last few metres, via the smaller green neighourhood boxes, which unfortunatly vandals target thinking they can get free TV if they start swapping over connections. :mad:

Luckily where I live this vandalism problem does not manifest itself. :)

bywater
07-03-2005, 12:18

I am actually on one of these exchanges looked a good option for me but I don't think I would be able to get full speed due to the fact I'm just over the distant limit from the the exchange. Another thing I would have to consider is the cost of equipment. Also I'm on a 12month free ntl telephone line rental so not a good idea at the mo. I was bitten by adsl last year and the experiance not good, but things might have changed since then. I had my NTL boardband 4 years ago still got the orginal surfboard modem. On the whole the service as been very reliable. I'm not a heavy user but would like to take advantage of all the new high speed broadband services coming on line if I want to. The problem with the NTL allowances is that there are no NTL packages that take this into account. I don't mean I'll be streaming them 24/7 but it would be nice to be able to use these service and not worry about getting into trouble with NTL for a perfectly legal use of the service.

I'm a shoutcast user listen to quiet a lot of streams useally at 128kbs. How many hours a day of listening will 1gb aday give me ? I also like to dip into foreign video streams ocassionally these can be anything up to 705kbs and more. This is what attracted me to broadband if this avenue is now being closed I may as well just go on the lowest speed and just use my connection for browsing. I am getting abit p'd off with accusations and crimalisation of large bandwidth users being illegal downloaders.

SOSAGES
07-03-2005, 13:14
well as i pay 25quid for the 1.5 meg service i may as well stick with the 3meg service and see how it goes -moving soon so i will probably leech all i can for now at new improved speeds and then order it again -

hopefully be upgraded soon got my 1.5 upgrade a few days early as well

MatTman
07-03-2005, 13:38
I can understand the 1gb per day/30gig cap on the 2mb connection, but to have the same Cap on the 3mb tier and for £12.00 more is quite frankly pathetic, what kind of thick C**t in NTl came up with these Cap ideas?

i personally will Downgrade to 2mb since 3mb holds almost no advanatges over the lower tier apart from the slight Upload/Dl speed increase, but then it will only take you 1 hour 50 mins to use up your daily allowance with this.
i downloaded the matrix online beta today and coming in at 1.6Gig thats screwed me for the next day and a half right? but of course if anyone goes over 1gig a day it means their a crimial right?????... neil???

Comon NTL, what the hell is wrong with you people..:mad:

edit: __ looks like i already have mine???

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/philip.richardson4/Upload%20videos/jpeg1.JPG

HUH???

purenuman
07-03-2005, 14:01
I can understand the 1gb per day/30gig cap on the 2mb connection, but to have the same Cap on the 3mb tier and for £12.00 more is quite frankly pathetic, what kind of thick C**t in NTl came up with these Cap ideas?

i personally will Downgrade to 2mb since 3mb holds almost no advanatges over the lower tier apart from the slight Upload/Dl speed increase, but then it will only take you 1 hour 50 mins to use up your daily allowance with this.
i downloaded the matrix online beta today and coming in at 1.6Gig thats screwed me for the next day and a half right? but of course if anyone goes over 1gig a day it means their a crimial right?????... neil???

HUH???

There is no cap for 2mb & 3mb just a guideline..... The same as we have now..

1mb will be hard capped later in the year but not 2mb & 3mb........ Maybe this will change but at the moment you are moaning about nothing....

MatTman
07-03-2005, 14:03
it still doesnt make sense having the same Daily "guideline" for the 2mb and 3mb tiers though, yes im moaning, Consider it a pre-moan to an impending Hard cap that will probably P**s alot of customers off (not that ntls CS hasnt already achieved that already).

ikthius
07-03-2005, 14:10

HUH???

so what part of the country you in MatTman?

ik

purenuman
07-03-2005, 14:15
it still doesnt make sense having the same Daily "guideline" for the 2mb and 3mb tiers though, yes im moaning, Consider it a pre-moan to an impending Hard cap that will probably P**s alot of customers off (not that ntls CS hasnt already achieved that already).

Well the time to moan is when you KNOW the "impending" hard cap is really happening........

It avoids boring everybody with moans about something that is not (at the moment) planned and may never happen. :D

badnbusy
07-03-2005, 14:18
MatTman, are you sure you are faster now or is that a one-off?

Try this speedtest (choose the 3Mb option)

http://www.dslzoneuk.net/speedtest.php

DieDieMyDarling
07-03-2005, 14:18
One way to check MatTman:

Go to http://192.168.100.1/ and use root:root as the user:password.

Then click on Operation Configuration. See what speed it says.

jrhnewark
07-03-2005, 14:31
There's one question I've not been able to find an answer to.

In December, Simon Duffy said that a new tier would be introduced after the upgrades - a 'new' 300k tier.

My question is this - if I go onto 1Mb, and the hard capping comes in, will this 'new' tier exist by then, and will I be able to downgrade to it?

I'm not asking can I go 'back' to 'my' old 300k, but could I go onto the 'new' 300k? :)

nate
07-03-2005, 14:49
Now I know this is probably typical of me, and being an ex-ntl employee I should know how to decipher the gibberish that the company puts out to the public, but I am a little confused with the barrage of information that is out there at the moment concerning the speed upgrade.

I notice from this link (http://cableforum.co.uk/article/145/ntl-broadband-upgrade-speeds-from-8th-march) that it is prominently mentioned that "Customers on the 750K package or 1.5MB package, will receive a FREE automatic upgrade to 2MB and 3MB."

So, if I am reading this right and not being a complete dunce, all being well (which I'm not counting on), sometime (as per usual schedules) between 12am and 6am March 8th, I should be able to reboot my SACM and have download speeds of 3mbps (or 2mbps if I was on 750k), right?
No need to call NTL, wrangle with the CS staff who know nothing of the upgrade etc?

Obviously I'm not counting on it happening bang on March 8th, what I really want to know is..Do I need to give NTL a decision on whether I want to upgrade or not, or will they just do it automatically?

Paul
07-03-2005, 14:53
It should be automatic - and also should not need a CM re-boot.

Nemesis
07-03-2005, 14:54
There's one question I've not been able to find an answer to.

In December, Simon Duffy said that a new tier would be introduced after the upgrades - a 'new' 300k tier.

My question is this - if I go onto 1Mb, and the hard capping comes in, will this 'new' tier exist by then, and will I be able to downgrade to it?

I'm not asking can I go 'back' to 'my' old 300k, but could I go onto the 'new' 300k? :)

The 300k Tier will not exist for New Customers

nate
07-03-2005, 14:55
It should be automatic - and also should not need a CM re-boot.

thats what they said after the 1.5meg upgrade, waited 2 days..decided to try the restart and there it was. Having a Terayon is probably the problem..never seems to want to automatically update.

purenuman
07-03-2005, 14:55
Now I know this is probably typical of me, and being an ex-ntl employee I should know how to decipher the gibberish that the company puts out to the public, but I am a little confused with the barrage of information that is out there at the moment concerning the speed upgrade.

I notice from this link (http://cableforum.co.uk/article/145/ntl-broadband-upgrade-speeds-from-8th-march) that it is prominently mentioned that "Customers on the 750K package or 1.5MB package, will receive a FREE automatic upgrade to 2MB and 3MB."

So, if I am reading this right and not being a complete dunce, all being well (which I'm not counting on), sometime (as per usual schedules) between 12am and 6am March 8th, I should be able to reboot my SACM and have download speeds of 3mbps (or 2mbps if I was on 750k), right?
No need to call NTL, wrangle with the CS staff who know nothing of the upgrade etc?

Obviously I'm not counting on it happening bang on March 8th, what I really want to know is..Do I need to give NTL a decision on whether I want to upgrade or not, or will they just do it automatically?

Auto and I don't think many will get it first thing on the 8th

ntl will be contacting existing customers and informing them of these upgrades.
It is important to note, that the majority of 750K and 1.5MB customers will be upgraded over the coming weeks. But some networks, in some areas need further upgrades, to ensure that all customers will eventually receive the speed upgrades though this might take some months.

Wiggz
07-03-2005, 14:58
thats what they said after the 1.5meg upgrade, waited 2 days..decided to try the restart and there it was. Having a Terayon is probably the problem..never seems to want to automatically update.

Can't be the problem - I have a Terayon and have no probs with the upgrades...didn't with 1mb, and didn't with 1.5mb either.

On topic though - Glad that it's not going to be a Hard Cap...as i go over the limit now (some months...) and so a hard cap on it would mess my routine up

Cheers

Wiggz

Paul
07-03-2005, 15:03
thats what they said after the 1.5meg upgrade, waited 2 days..decided to try the restart and there it was. Having a Terayon is probably the problem..never seems to want to automatically update.There will always be exceptions - just like auto-update on anything - but the majority will work :D

jrhnewark
07-03-2005, 15:15
The 300k Tier will not exist for New Customers Page 14 of this document. (http://zoidberg.servehttp.com:8080/redirection/NTL%20Document%201.htm)

Either that, or Mr. Duffy is talking out of his behind. :erm:

daveeb
07-03-2005, 15:15
I don't want to change my pace stb, so i'll be upgraded from 750 k which i'm on now to the 1 meg speed. Will i be able to downgrade to the 1 meg (3 GB per month) service. (ie the old bronze service)....i'd sooner pay 17.99 for 1 meg rather than 24.99 as my useage is very low :erm:

purenuman
07-03-2005, 15:21
Page 14 of this document. (http://zoidberg.servehttp.com:8080/files/NTL%20-%20new%203GB%20cap%20on%201Mb%20service.pdf)

Either that, or Mr. Duffy is talking out of his behind. :erm:

Why? So things have changed since then, does that mean he was wrong?

There is no planned hard cap on 2&3mb and no upgrade fee (£25) either...... Things change.

lego008
07-03-2005, 15:40
It must be on the way according to the web based maintenance schedule:monkey:

As part of the ongoing project to maintain and upgrade our Broadband network, there is a requirement to carry out work on components which may result in a loss of service for the duration of the work. The maintenance work for this week is as follows:

On the morning of Tuesday March 8th between midnight and 6am, broadband customers in Southampton, Bishopbriggs, Cwmbrwla, Oxford, Kempstone, Norwich, Salford, Dover, Folkestone, Lewisham, Baguley, York and Belfast may experience a loss of connection due to local work.

Additionally customers in all regions may be unable to access the ntlworld.com homepage or their personal ntlworld websites due to server upgrades, and may experience a 5 minute drop of connection due to local network load balancing.

On the morning of Wednesday March 9th between midnight and 6am, broadband customers in Woodborough, Wearside, Addlestone and Belfast may experience a loss of connection due to local work.

On the morning of Thursday March 10th between midnight and 6am, broadband customers in Portsmouth, Stoke, Southampton, Rutherglen, Hemel Hempstead, Stapleford, Woodborough, Rochdale, Withington and Belfast may experience a loss of connection due to local work.

And finally on the morning of Friday March 11th between midnight and 6am, broadband customers in Woodborough and Belfast may experience a loss of connection due to local work.

Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience these planned works may cause.

Oh and hello :D

jrhnewark
07-03-2005, 16:12
Why? So things have changed since then, does that mean he was wrong?

There is no planned hard cap on 2&3mb and no upgrade fee (£25) either...... Things change. I'm sure he wasn't wrong - I mean, you don't come up with something like that unless you mean it. :)

Things may change, but I don't think this will (not forgetting the admin fee etc. never came in writing). I just need to find out for sure.

mmm
07-03-2005, 16:15
It must be on the way according to the web based maintenance schedule:monkey:

Oh and hello :D

:welcome:

Nemesis
07-03-2005, 16:16
There is no cap for 2mb & 3mb just a guideline..... The same as we have now..

1mb will be hard capped later in the year but not 2mb & 3mb........ Maybe this will change but at the moment you are moaning about nothing....

Not entirely convinced that statement is true ....

Why would they only hard cap 1Meg users, doesn't make sense. My understanding is that Hard Capping is being looked at for ALL tiers.

sav112
07-03-2005, 16:21
On the morning of Thursday March 10th between midnight and 6am, broadband customers in Portsmouth, Stoke, Southampton, Rutherglen..

Well I take it my service will be updated on the 10th as Rutherglan is my local link to NTL?

DarkO
07-03-2005, 16:27
i live in colchester essex, yet i dont seem to fall under any of those categories....well not that i kno of :confused:

purenuman
07-03-2005, 16:28
Not entirely convinced that statement is true ....

Why would they only hard cap 1Meg users, doesn't make sense. My understanding is that Hard Capping is being looked at for ALL tiers.

It makes sense to me if they want a cheap capped tier and only want to limit users on the upper tiers who cause problems for other users.

Nemesis
07-03-2005, 16:28
Additionally customers in all regions may be unable to access the ntlworld.com homepage or their personal ntlworld websites due to server upgrades, and may experience a 5 minute drop of connection due to local network load balancing.

That is the coverall statement :D

Maggy
07-03-2005, 16:29
Sigh!!

It will happen when it happens... :p:

etccarmageddon
07-03-2005, 16:31
the official service page is here if anyone is curious:-

http://www.ntl-isp.ntl.com/ServiceStatus

Cerberus
07-03-2005, 16:45
Just got off the phone to a CS rep and he said for definate the speed increases will be going ahead as planned on the 17th March and not the 8th. He also said that the speed increases were originally meant to take place in January and then February but it's all going to happen on the 17th of March. Next they will probably tell us its the 1st of April (before 12 noon):)

Nemesis
07-03-2005, 16:49
Just got off the phone to a CS rep and he said for definate the speed increases will be going ahead as planned on the 17th March and not the 8th. He also said that the speed increases were originally meant to take place in January and then February but it's all going to happen on the 17th of March. Next they will probably tell us its the 1st of April (before 12 noon):)

Maybe they need to read their own status pages, and internal memos ....

If they need a hand we can point them in the right direction .... :D

Cerberus
07-03-2005, 16:54
It was probably a rep that thought, well it's close to home time now, I'll fob this last customer off and then log off for the day;)

I used to do the same when I worked for Time Computers:erm:

Rone
07-03-2005, 16:56
It was probably a rep that thought, well it's close to home time now, I'll fob this last customer off and then log off for the day;)

I used to do the same when I worked for Time Computers:erm:

Cant believe this sort of thing really happens !!!

Paul
07-03-2005, 16:58
Now then - just to be clear - the information does not say the upgrades will be 8th March. It says it will be available to new customers from the 8th. Existing customers will be upgraded in March is all the documentation says. :)

· New customers will be offered the new speeds from 8th MarchThe majority of 750K and 1.5Mb customers will be upgraded in the coming weeks

Cerberus
07-03-2005, 17:01
Apologies it does indeed say that, maybe I should of read the whole thread before posting:dunce:

You know what it's like though, cut corners to save time;)

jrhnewark
07-03-2005, 17:03
Now then - just to be clear - the information does not say the upgrades will be 8th March. It says it will be available to new customers from the 8th. Existing customers will be upgraded in March is all the documentation says. :) Yes, exactly. :)

Although, hopefully, if we go by what happened the last time there was an upgrade, most people should be done (those on 750k and 1.5mb) tomorrow.

Looking at this (http://www.ntl-isp.ntl.com/ServiceStatus/ServiceDetails.aspx?FaultID=289), by my reckoning, those listed for overnight maintenance will be the ones that need network upgrades.

I wonder when we'll get our 300k upgrade page on ntlworld?

DieDieMyDarling
07-03-2005, 17:21
They must have a single engineer out in belfast with a spanner doing all the work manually. It's being done on all of the days. So much for the luck of the Irish! :-|

sav112
07-03-2005, 17:24
"I wonder when we'll get our 300k upgrade page on ntlworld?"

been looking a few times but nothing yet.:(

etccarmageddon
07-03-2005, 17:25
they might be doing network upgrading over the next few days but they could hold off on sending the new config files down the line which means our speeds wont change.

Alternatively what they're doing over the next few nights might be sending config files down the wire to all 1,000,000 broadband STBs and CMs in which case we'll be on the new speeds by the weekend?

N00N00
07-03-2005, 17:36
What is the upload speed on NTL 300K service. please?

just looking round at the competition becasue i can't cope with the new tiny cap that will be on the "upgraded" service.

Can anyone suggest a decent, cheap alternative without OTT limits please? I know most companies are increasing their speeds so NTL 300K is looking very expensive now.

Neil
07-03-2005, 17:39
100k I think.

just looking round at the competition becasue i can't cope with the new tiny cap that will be on the "upgraded" service.

Can anyone suggest a decent, cheap alternative without OTT limits please? I know most companies are increasing their speeds so NTL 300K is looking very expensive now.

You need to ask in here: http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=63

purenuman
07-03-2005, 17:43

It won't be looking very expensive @ 1mb will it?

There is no hard cap yet..... why don't you wait until it affects you before spitting your dummy out :D :angel:

Things may change...

Maggy
07-03-2005, 17:46
I'm unsubscribing for now as we have got to the rumour and gossip stage that we got to in the previous pre upgrade thread last year. ;)

DieDieMyDarling
07-03-2005, 17:57
This is the most exciting time. Watching for the first lucky person to report they've been upgraded, then everyone resetting their modem frantically, every 2 mins, in the vain hope that they've been upgraded too. :D

buba3d
07-03-2005, 17:59
This should be fun, over the next few days.

3 meg 1 gig daily for 37.99, is what i call "A RIPOFF".

Paul
07-03-2005, 18:09

3 meg 1 gig daily for 37.99, is what i call "A RIPOFF".A ripoff eh, I suggest you move to ADSL then, and see how you fare. :dozey:

Graham M
07-03-2005, 18:14
A ripoff eh, I suggest you move to ADSL then, and see how you fare. :dozey:

I was gonna post something like that but decided to restrain myself ;)

buba3d
07-03-2005, 18:17
A ripoff eh, I suggest you move to ADSL then, and see how you fare. :dozey:
Negitive :p:

Myron
07-03-2005, 18:17
I don't want to change my pace stb, so i'll be upgraded from 750 k which i'm on now to the 1 meg speed. Will i be able to downgrade to the 1 meg (3 GB per month) service. (ie the old bronze service)....i'd sooner pay 17.99 for 1 meg rather than 24.99 as my useage is very low :erm:
Chipped? :angel:

purenuman
07-03-2005, 18:18

There is no hard cap ..... why don't you wait until it happens or affects you before spitting your dummy out :D

scrotnig
07-03-2005, 18:19

So give your notice and close your ntl account then instead of whining about it.

paulyoung666
07-03-2005, 18:19
Chipped? :angel:

:confused: :erm: :D :D

mmm
07-03-2005, 18:23
[QUOTE=N00N00]What is the upload speed on NTL 300K service. please?

...QUOTE]

The current 300K has a 64K upload, this will increase to 100K with the 1meg download we believe.

I reckon you should stick around and wait to see what hard caps will be imposed when, coz NTL aren't that stupid - they know they have to compete, they will try to get to upgrade to 25 quid a month rather lose you I'm sure. And the cheap ADSL deals are 1 PC USB only, don't forget to compare with Ethernet based ADSL router ISPs.

jrhnewark
07-03-2005, 18:23
The moment NTL actually say something official about this, they'll be getting a phonecall from me.

After all - specifics don't seem to matter. :rolleyes:

buba3d
07-03-2005, 18:27
So give your notice and close your ntl account then instead of whining about it.
How am i whining about it, i was being sarcastic (the smilie never worked)

Hell i don't even care what they will do to the service, i'v been with ntl (b4 it was ntl) for nearly 7 years and have hardly had a gripe about them.

I'm happy with service. :cool:

scrotnig
07-03-2005, 18:36
I'm happy with service. :cool:
:notopic:

dragon
07-03-2005, 18:36
Hope it gets upgraded tomrrow then :)

2mbit yes please :D

Alan Waddington
07-03-2005, 18:50
I have had netmeter for some time & have had the 1GB/day alarm set, although it has seldom gone off. For web-serfing and some on-line gaming , the usage usually comes in well under the 3GB limit for the new 1Mbit service. Listening to web-radio for hours at a time does use a fair bit though & could easily push over 3GB. Occasionally i DL some software & would blow the 3GB limit out of the water.

Currently I'm on 750kbps & while the low end tier would largely meet my needs, will be staying on the mid-tier to avoid those occasional exceedances.

I'd just like to say that my NTL connection has been really reliable since installed several years ago (could it be 5 :O ) so I'm a happy customer.

DarkO
07-03-2005, 19:31
Exact same here, had my ntl 1.5mb (was 1mb) connection for just over 2 years now and it has never gone down. I for one shall be staying. I play Counter Strike on PC a fare amount and my ping times are on a large scale always the lowest in the server. Generally 20mls and below providing it is a good server, even below 10mls at times.

Does anyone know if having ur ntl bb provided through a stb rather than a sacm is worse? just out of curiosity.

Hans Gruber
07-03-2005, 19:55
Does anyone know if having ur ntl bb provided through a stb rather than a sacm is worse? just out of curiosity.

I've had it through both and it seems exactly the same, although my upstream is faster with a SACM. I got about 11KB/s with my STB and 14KB/s with my SACM. Not sure why that was...

(I should add that's on 750k)

Vegeta
07-03-2005, 20:12
Hopefully I will be upgraded tonight between 12am and 6am to 2mbit.

Last time, it happened at 1am, the 600k to 750k upgrade in the Baguley area (Manchestah!) :D

My STB (then a Pace 2000, now a Samsung :p: ) reset on its own and after the reset, I recieved the new speed.

bilal
07-03-2005, 20:25
is there any official word from ntl ?
or is this definite :D:D

bjorkiii
07-03-2005, 20:30
:sleep: Who knows who cares i just like to see people getting hot headed on here talking about it :angel:

Chase
07-03-2005, 20:48
I've got a Pace box and a TiVo. Other TiVo owners who've had their Pace swapped for a Samsung STB are having quite a few problems getting the two to work together.

Bearing this in mind, can I ask NTL for a SACM and keep the Pace?

Cheers

Pace
07-03-2005, 21:00
Not wanting to sound ungrateful, but how about if i don't want the free upgrade ? I'm happy enough with my 1.5 mb service as i can happily do what i do on the net without being 'capped'. If i were to got onto 3 mb with a 1 gb daily allowance, i will use that up by 2 pm :dozey:

Also, if i have no choice and i do go over my limit, what happens ? does my speed revert to a lower level or do i get charged the extra ? Another thing, is it a 1 gb transfer rate thats monitored daily or do they look at it at the end of the month / billing period ? If it was done at the end of the month that may not be so bad for some users, but if it's daily it could be a pain in the a$$

pdjkeelan
07-03-2005, 21:08
Not wanting to sound ungrateful, but how about if i don't want the free upgrade ? I'm happy enough with my 1.5 mb service as i can happily do what i do on the net without being 'capped'. If i were to got onto 3 mb with a 1 gb daily allowance, i will use that up by 2 pm :dozey:

Also, if i have no choice and i do go over my limit, what happens ? does my speed revert to a lower level or do i get charged the extra ? Another thing, is it a 1 gb transfer rate thats monitored daily or do they look at it at the end of the month / billing period ? If it was done at the end of the month that may not be so bad for some users, but if it's daily it could be a pain in the a$$

Your 1.5MB service is already capped at 1GB/day it's a soft cap and sounds like they'll keep it soft-capped once these upgrades go through.

Pace
07-03-2005, 21:12
Really ? never noticed that....i download an awful lot. Learn something new everyday !

Thanks alot !

zeus9876
07-03-2005, 21:16
Well personally i think that the cap when it comes into effect should be what the speed is your subscribed to, unless your under 1meg.

ie: 1meg= 1gb daily
2meg= 2gb daily
3meg= 3gb daily

Stop It
07-03-2005, 21:29
Can I just ask, what EXACTLY is happening tommorow, I dont really mind if there isnt much physical action, but will there be a website for the upgrades put up tommorow etc?

WaryWolf
07-03-2005, 21:39
Well personally i think that the cap when it comes into effect should be what the speed is your subscribed to, unless your under 1meg.

ie: 1meg= 1gb daily
2meg= 2gb daily
3meg= 3gb daily

that's like saying there would be no cap at all though, since we would technically be unable to go over the limit!:Yikes:

and even on 300k i've been over the 1gb a day limit - the world of warcraft beta took just over 24 hours to download, and weighed in at 2.4 gb. however, if i averaged out all of the time i spent playing WoW afterwards my average traffic for the month considerably dropped :)

badnbusy
07-03-2005, 22:11
that's like saying there would be no cap at all though, since we would technically be unable to go over the limit!:Yikes:

how so? You could download around 21MB/min, 1.2GB/hour, 28GB/day on the 3Mbps service!

Fed-Cov
07-03-2005, 22:23
anyone know what time the upgrades are taking place?

paulyoung666
07-03-2005, 22:25
anyone know what time the upgrades are taking place?

hi and :welcome: to the site , from tomorrow onwards i believe , just dont be surprised if you are not upgraded tomorrow ;) , and dont forget you may need a modem reboot to see the new speed :)

Tezcatlipoca
07-03-2005, 22:25
As in a precise time?!

I doubt you'll get that.

"From 8th March"....and I very much doubt everywhere would be done at the same time. The last upgrades were spread out quite a bit over some areas.

WaryWolf
07-03-2005, 22:29
how so? You could download around 21MB/min, 1.2GB/hour, 28GB/day on the 3Mbps service!

ah, i think i misunderstood. i thought he meant that we should be allowed to download as much as our connection speed could handle.

i understand now, are you trying to say we should get our connection speed (in megabits), multiplied by 8, then 1000 to get the limit for the day? that wouldn't be a bad idea at all.

another idea i'm not opposed to is overnight/off-peak allowances. something like the entire current monthly allowance again, available from 12 midnight-7am. that would rock! :)

paulyoung666
07-03-2005, 22:31
ah, i think i misunderstood. i thought he meant that we should be allowed to download as much as our connection speed could handle.

i understand now, are you trying to say we should get our connection speed (in megabits), multiplied by 8, then 1000 to get the limit for the day? that wouldn't be a bad idea at all.

another idea i'm not opposed to is overnight/off-peak allowances. something like the entire current monthly allowance again, available from 12 midnight-7am. that would rock! :)

uhhhhhhhhhhh no , i dont think so :erm: :erm: :erm: :erm:

Foo Fighter
07-03-2005, 22:48
well i finally got my pace swoped out for a brand new samsung today so im all set for the upgrade :D
When he was installing it i noticed im on the network "Manchester 3" so someone better upgrade that tonite please :)

WaryWolf
07-03-2005, 22:52
uhhhhhhhhhhh no , i dont think so :erm: :erm: :erm: :erm:

i was just dreaming.... :)

Off Topic: an aussie ISP, iiNet, just started plans which put ntl's upgrades to shame in my opinion:

see the news article here:
http://whirlpool.net.au/article.cfm/1433

and the current (upgraded) plans:

http://bc.whirlpool.net.au/bc-isp.cfm?id=15&s=2

i could go for 8mbit, if i got the 80 gb a month plan for around £40!
maybe i'll have to move to australia.

Splink
07-03-2005, 22:53
Dunno if you guys noticed this yet. Sorry if it's been posted already :P

http://www.ntl-isp.ntl.com/ServiceStatus/ServiceDetails.aspx?FaultID=289

jtwn
07-03-2005, 22:57
Its already been said that new users can sign up to the new speeds from tommorow, not that existing ones will already.

Splink
07-03-2005, 22:58
i could go for 8mbit, if i got the 80 gb a month plan for around £40!
maybe i'll have to move to australia.

but even with 8mbit, you'll get rubbish pings to anywhere important :p:

chilin_dude
07-03-2005, 22:59
I hope they don't upgrade me from my 300k service, currently I download 30+ gigs a month :(

Nemesis
07-03-2005, 22:59
I hope they don't upgrade me from my 300k service, currently I download 30+ gigs a month :(

Not unless you ask to be ...

Foo Fighter
07-03-2005, 23:40
On the morning of Tuesday March 8th between midnight and 6am, broadband customers in Blackburn, Southampton, Bishopbriggs, Cwmbrwla, Oxford, Kempstone, Norwich, Salford, Dover, Folkestone, Lewisham, Baguley, York and Belfast may experience a loss of connection due to local work.

woooohoooo 2mb for me tommorow if this is the upgrade :D

chuffed i'm gonna get up early before work and have a play, better than santa coming this :D

XEviLX
07-03-2005, 23:51
not long now lads roll on 12am

purenuman
07-03-2005, 23:57
not long now lads roll on 12am

the majority of 750K and 1.5MB customers will be upgraded over the coming weeks.

:dozey:

Paul
08-03-2005, 00:03
not long now lads roll on 12amNot quite - as far as we know there won't be any upgrades this week, we expect the first ones to be next week. Tomorrow (well technically today now ;)) is when they are going to start taking orders for the new tiers. :)

ian@huth
08-03-2005, 00:06
Not quite - as far as we know there won't be any upgrades this week, we expect the first ones to be next week. Tomorrow (well technically today now ;)) is when they are going to start taking orders for the new tiers. :)That won't stop a new world record for cable modem reboots being set today. :D :D :D

Stop It
08-03-2005, 00:07
Not quite - as far as we know there won't be any upgrades this week, we expect the first ones to be next week. Tomorrow (well technically today now ;)) is when they are going to start taking orders for the new tiers. :)

Any idea when the NTL sites will be updated to take this into account? And is there going to be another postcode checker?

Fed-Cov
08-03-2005, 00:29
Not quite - as far as we know there won't be any upgrades this week, we expect the first ones to be next week. Tomorrow (well technically today now ;)) is when they are going to start taking orders for the new tiers. :)

so no upgrades?

whats the march 8th all about, everyone i know on ntl is under the impression its happening any time after midnight

AL123
08-03-2005, 00:30

Damn and drat, oh well lets have some optimism, maybe NTL sill surprise us :D

Nikko
08-03-2005, 00:32
Tue, 8 Mar 2005 00:02:47 degrees B4 TDC
1st 128K took 360 ms = 364596 Bytes/sec = approx 3034 kbits/sec
2nd 128K took 360 ms = 364596 Bytes/sec = approx 3034 kbits/sec
3rd 128K took 352 ms = 368944 Bytes/sec = approx 3132 kbits/sec
4th 128K took 360 ms = 364596 Bytes/sec = approx 3034 its/sec
To repeat this test from the source server click here.

Please note running this test more than once a year could take you over your allowance.

Any passing resemblance to a well respected site is intentional and is purely for illustrative purposes

Halcyon
08-03-2005, 00:33
I'm really really annnoyed with NTL for this.
I'd love to jump to 1mb from my 300k's but this Cap is ridiculous. Im currently monitoring my bandwidth use and its going to clearly be over.
What do you think happens if say you were 4gb over instead of the allowed 3gb per month ?

Paul
08-03-2005, 00:42
Any idea when the NTL sites will be updated to take this into account? And is there going to be another postcode checker?No idea on either - I'd be suprised if they do another checker though.

so no upgrades?

whats the march 8th all about, everyone i know on ntl is under the impression its happening any time after midnightLike it says, the 8th is when new customers placing orders will be offered the new speeds (in fact, I believe the new speeds is all they will be offered).

What do you think happens if say you were 4gb over instead of the allowed 3gb per month ?In the next few months, probably nothing.

nate
08-03-2005, 00:51
But, if hard caps are going to be introduced..

How can they implement these without major TOS changes, which would involve informing all customers before the change and giving them the option of a "getout" clause if they don't agree with them (thus possibly losing thousands of customers who are still inside their initial 12 month contract)

chris1234
08-03-2005, 01:05
i sence my speeds are going fast is it really happening for me umm i wonder :) i think the manchester area which i live in are coming to the speed first rock on baby 3mb i prey for u today :D

nate
08-03-2005, 01:09
still 1.5 here even after a cm reboot, though wasnt expecting much..

Fidney
08-03-2005, 01:09
I lost my broadband connection for about 15 minutes at just after half-past 12 (I'm near Lichfield, about 15 miles north of Birmingham).

First time in ages. Could be coincidence.

No increase in download times for me, but then again, I'm currently on a 300k connection so will have to ask for the upgrade.

Should I or shouldn't I?

chris1234
08-03-2005, 01:10
any1 tell me how i insert a picture i just want to show some1 a speed sample thanks

chris

30 gig to 3gig on 300k if u wanna do aload of downloading id stick buddy :cool:

But that s entirely ur choice

Raistlin
08-03-2005, 01:15
Click "Go Advanced"

Go to the manage attachements button.

It's all easy from there :D

pdjkeelan
I lost my broadband connection for about 15 minutes at just after half-past 12 (I'm near Lichfield, about 15 miles north of Birmingham).

First time in ages. Could be coincidence.

No increase in download times for me, but then again, I'm currently on a 300k connection so will have to ask for the upgrade.

Should I or shouldn't I?

I got the same downtime in Manchester (Wythenshawe area) but at 1am, I'm on 750k there's been no speed increase though.

buba3d
Download Failed (1)

My pc completely frozed at 12:45, it was like a cpu spike, cm cut off and then i rebooted, got nothing after 10 or so minutes.

So i guess nothing to report in glasgow

chris1234
08-03-2005, 01:16
thanks alot friend

chris :D

I used bt speed test BTW!

pdjkeelan
08-03-2005, 01:20
thanks alot friend

chris :D

I used bt speed test BTW!
http://www.adslguide.org.uk/tools/speedtest.asp

Might be better to use that one, more accurate than a actual normal download.

chris1234
08-03-2005, 01:23
thanks

Direction

Actual Speed

True Speed (estimated)

Downstream1258 Kbps (157.3 KB/sec)1358 Kbps (inc. overheads)Upstream245 Kbps (30.6 KB/sec)264 Kbps (inc. overheads)

:disturbd:

nout good there :sleep:

Dead Duck
08-03-2005, 01:26
i use DSLZone's

chris1234
08-03-2005, 01:28
i use DSLZone's

I think thats alot more accurate thank you for the link!!!!

now i can see the increase when or if it happens:rolleyes:

Des
08-03-2005, 01:32
nothing to report in belfast.. not a thing.. no disrubtions etc..

Mattitude
08-03-2005, 01:34
I'm confused....does upload count towards the 1GB/day or just download?

buba3d
08-03-2005, 01:36
I'm confused....does upload count towards the 1GB/day or just download?
I think it does, but i can't confirm it, unless anybody else knows ?

mcfc2134
08-03-2005, 01:36
It'll be nice to celebrate my 22nd birthday with a free upgrade from NTL!!

So Ntl, by midnight tonight please!!

chris1234
08-03-2005, 01:38
i think its both isnt it? :S

Des
08-03-2005, 01:38
i dont think its going to take place this week - going on an earlier post - oh well, another week wont hurt...

chris1234
08-03-2005, 01:39
UMMM i think im more looking fwd to the 8Meg update at the end of 2006

.......... :)

Des
08-03-2005, 01:41
it could happen earlier than late 2006 .. the competition has only begun!

chris1234
08-03-2005, 01:42
Yeh i get you, so many internet companies competing... come on NTL pull your fingers out and get the daily allowance up to 3gig daily ... that would be kinda nice with the speeds were going to get..

Mattitude
08-03-2005, 01:45
It'll be nice to celebrate my 22nd birthday with a free upgrade from NTL!!

So Ntl, by midnight tonight please!!
:birthday:

mcfc2134
08-03-2005, 01:46
Cheers mate.

Hopefully Ntl will be just as kind!!

Will I have to manually reboot the SACM, or will it do it by itself when its done?

chris1234
08-03-2005, 01:48
last update i didnt reboot was auto maybe the same this time just have to wait and see :)

Mattitude
08-03-2005, 01:49
Cheers mate.

Hopefully Ntl will be just as kind!!

Will I have to manually reboot the SACM, or will it do it by itself when its done?
Should be automatic (ie no reboot needed)

chris1234
08-03-2005, 01:52
good night all.. got to sign on at the local J/C tomoz at 9 am :'( im going to leave my modem switched off all night and prey :D could help worth a shot

chris

paul11974
08-03-2005, 06:37
nothing

uni
08-03-2005, 06:41
Notts is enabled for 3 Mb goto http://www.ntlworld.com/data-feeds/editorial/microsites/tierMigration/ clicked on upgrade your modem then on Upgrade to 1.5 entered details and was given option to upgrade to 3Mb :D 06:30 am

bjorkiii
08-03-2005, 07:00
;)Yay im upgraded in teesside just did what the last post said 3 mb

Matt
08-03-2005, 07:05
Nice find. Just upgraded here too in Bexley:

1st 128K took 360 ms = 364089 Bytes/sec = approx 3029 kbits/sec
2nd 128K took 359 ms = 365103 Bytes/sec = approx 3038 kbits/sec
3rd 128K took 360 ms = 364089 Bytes/sec = approx 3029 kbits/sec
4th 128K took 359 ms = 365103 Bytes/sec = approx 3038 kbits/sec

mcmanic
08-03-2005, 07:08
just upgraded here in west sussex to 3meg, thanks for the link

uni
08-03-2005, 07:09
no prob :D

Gordon_29
08-03-2005, 07:10
Just upgraded my speed in coventry

And thanks for the link

zeus9876
08-03-2005, 07:13
I am on the 1.5meg speed and would really like that 3meg but i will wait til 8am to phone CS because that may mess up my £18.99/month broadband price.

uni
08-03-2005, 07:16
Interesting question that,would it alter the offer which is on at this moment in time :rolleyes: then again was we supposed to find it ?????????????

opdude
08-03-2005, 07:18
Still on 1.5 in reading..

Scope
08-03-2005, 07:24
Did a reboot in Swindon, no upgrade here either.

zeus9876
08-03-2005, 07:26
Notts is enabled for 3 Mb goto http://www.ntlworld.com/data-feeds/editorial/microsites/tierMigration/ clicked on upgrade your modem then on Upgrade to 1.5 entered details and was given option to upgrade to 3Mb :D 06:30 am

Did you follow this advice ?

Derek
08-03-2005, 07:29
Still 1.5 in Glasgow.

Maximum Downstream Data Rate : 1536000 bps
Maximum Upstream Data Rate : 256000 bps

I thought the upgrades were going automatically?

nicko
08-03-2005, 07:30
Did you follow this advice ?

But aren't you paying to upgrade to another tier on that page(for people who want to pay for a higher tier)?

PC_Arcade
08-03-2005, 07:31
Upgraded in Oxord :)

jrhnewark
08-03-2005, 07:38
So when does the 300k-1Mb upgrade page come up on ntlworld?

Albie
08-03-2005, 07:48

Anyone been upgraded from 750MB to 2MB using this link?

I'd try it only my password isn't working. :rolleyes:

andshrew
08-03-2005, 07:52

Yep I just upgraded via it now :)

purenuman
08-03-2005, 07:54

Yes

Tue, 8 Mar 2005 07:52:45 UTC
1st 128K took 510 ms = 257004 Bytes/sec = approx 2138 kbits/sec
2nd 128K took 531 ms = 246840 Bytes/sec = approx 2054 kbits/sec
3rd 128K took 521 ms = 251578 Bytes/sec = approx 2093 kbits/sec
4th 128K took 501 ms = 261621 Bytes/sec = approx 2177 kbits/sec

Manchester :D

trancesphere
08-03-2005, 07:54

yep just upgraded :D

http://img239.exs.cx/img239/8449/129iz.jpg

:D :D

Paul K
08-03-2005, 07:56
So when does the 300k-1Mb upgrade page come up on ntlworld?
Not yet I would think, might be quicker to ring them up.... marginally :p:

dilli-theclaw
08-03-2005, 08:00
OOOhhhh - happy is me :)

chris1234
08-03-2005, 08:00
ummm wot do i do lol

im in manchester btw

my current is 1.39... 0_o i seem to have lost a meg wtf!

i mean 10ks :dozey:

bilal
08-03-2005, 08:05
but theres nothing on this link that says 2mb :|.... i live in kent and so far no speed increase. I dont know my password so should i just give them a ring???

chris1234
08-03-2005, 08:06
to recieve ur password i would say yes im going to try upgrade now :D

zeus9876
08-03-2005, 08:07
Go for it. I am on hold with them right now. And will still be on hold at mid-day....lol

d0pey
login to ntl: Broadband Internet - Connection Speed Upgrade Unable to upgrade your connection speed We are sorry that your current package or connection speed is not appropriate for an online speed upgrade. Please call customer support on 0800 052 2000 for further assistance with changing your service level.

I get the above error when I try and upgrade my speed through that web site.

dilli-theclaw
but theres nothing on this link that says 2mb :|.... i live in kent and so far no speed increase. I dont know my password so should i just give them a ring???

When you go through to the next section it tells you about the new speeds - if you don't know your password I guess you'll have to call them.