PDA

View Full Version : Wireless laptop won't connect to Internet at home

smicer07
05-03-2005, 11:09
Hi

I've just been given a laptop by the school in which I work. It has a wireless card with it, and works perfectly with the school's wireless router. However, when I bring it home and try to use it with my router, it finds the wireless connection, but no Internet pages load... I've pinged to various sites and they all work fine... but no pages load. There's Sophos anti virus on it, but no firewall is apparent anywhere (although I wouldve thought there'd be one). I've tried disabling things but with no luck- the people at school told me it should just work. When I log on, I log on to a specific "part" of the school network (i.e. my classroom)- could this be the problem?

Cheers

JohnHorb
05-03-2005, 11:18
Have you checked it's not set up to use a proxy server? (In IE, tools/internet options/connections/LAN settings)

smicer07
05-03-2005, 11:25
I'll check

Neil
05-03-2005, 11:33
Also-you can't just expect to come & use a wireless network with any old PC/laptop, if you could then you have serious security issues.

Also check if you need to add the college laptop's MAC address to the 'permitted' section in your router.

JohnHorb
05-03-2005, 11:35
He can ping sites, so presumably has set the right security (WEP etc) - or hasn't set any up!

vaiolator
05-03-2005, 16:41
I am no expert at this and may be talking out of my bum, but having set mine up recently, it may help.
Seeing as you can ping websites it could be totally irrelevant.
However, you may need to set up a profile using the wireless software on the laptop, that monitors the connection when you are at the school.
You will have to add things such as the name of your home network, the channel it's using and encryption mode, if you have it set that way.
When this is done, you select which profile you need depending on location, to connect to the different wireless networks.
Good luck.

budwieser
05-03-2005, 23:25
Hi

I've just been given a laptop by the school in which I work. It has a wireless card with it, and works perfectly with the school's wireless router. However, when I bring it home and try to use it with my router, it finds the wireless connection, but no Internet pages load... I've pinged to various sites and they all work fine... but no pages load. There's Sophos anti virus on it, but no firewall is apparent anywhere (although I wouldve thought there'd be one). I've tried disabling things but with no luck- the people at school told me it should just work. When I log on, I log on to a specific "part" of the school network (i.e. my classroom)- could this be the problem?

Cheers

Make sure you`re not running Zone Alarm mate.