PDA

View Full Version : Early bird catches the worm

Escapee
04-03-2005, 17:56
I know there have been many threads before commenting about mobile speed cameras and discussion about revenue generation over road safety, but I would like you to decide about this case.

A few months ago on a Monday morning to work I travelled along as normal in the pitch dark at about 6AM, on my way home in the evening at about 5.45PM as it was also getting dark, I noticed that a 40MPH speed limit had been implemented. There is no or very little lighting on the road, so I obviously didn't see it in the morning. I decided to slow down and sure enough there was a mobile speed camera van, the speed limit had been changed either that weekend or the friday at the earliest.

They have implemented this 40MPH section after a 30MPH section leaving a village, they seem to of purpously left the 40MPH section well after the houses and into the nice straight section of road with no junctions and a good visability, for no other reason than allowing the camera van a place to park in the lay-by.

This morning at 6.03AM the camera van was set up and working, I guess the occupants were there to enforce the speed limit on this nice straight section of road, in case any school children had decided to make an early start, or a couple of pensioners had decided to have an early two mile stroll to the nearest post office to collect thier pension.

revenue generating, or just me being cynical? :rolleyes:

Nidge
05-03-2005, 15:56
I know there have been many threads before commenting about mobile speed cameras and discussion about revenue generation over road safety, but I would like you to decide about this case.

A few months ago on a Monday morning to work I travelled along as normal in the pitch dark at about 6AM, on my way home in the evening at about 5.45PM as it was also getting dark, I noticed that a 40MPH speed limit had been implemented. There is no or very little lighting on the road, so I obviously didn't see it in the morning. I decided to slow down and sure enough there was a mobile speed camera van, the speed limit had been changed either that weekend or the friday at the earliest.

They have implemented this 40MPH section after a 30MPH section leaving a village, they seem to of purpously left the 40MPH section well after the houses and into the nice straight section of road with no junctions and a good visability, for no other reason than allowing the camera van a place to park in the lay-by.

This morning at 6.03AM the camera van was set up and working, I guess the occupants were there to enforce the speed limit on this nice straight section of road, in case any school children had decided to make an early start, or a couple of pensioners had decided to have an early two mile stroll to the nearest post office to collect thier pension.

revenue generating, or just me being cynical? :rolleyes:

Revenue generating I'd say

punky
05-03-2005, 16:09
If the speed cameras truely were saftefy cameras, then overnight 80% would have to be move to somewhere else.

They can't afford to put cameras solely in blackspots. People already slowdown for blackspots, save the odd motorist that crashes. Catching those few motorists doesn't pay for the scheme, let alone make the government money. They need to do this kind of stuff to make money :rolleyes:

Paul
05-03-2005, 16:23
I can't think of any speed cameras round here that are not there to make money - possible just one set that isn't.

They have now imposed some new 40/50 mph speed restrictions on a main dual carridgeway trunk road near me (which is long, straight and in the middle of the countryside - and has been national speed limit for the last 30+ years) - no warning, no explanation, certainly no justification. I expect to see money spinning cameras on it soon.

I will have no respect for speed limits or cameras while idiotic things like this are done - it is nothing more than a money making scheme.