PDA

View Full Version : upload speed?

dapex
04-03-2005, 15:25
Hi all, this may be a really daft question but I cannot find any details about my upload speed on the ntlworld website.All the packages advertise there relevant download speed but not the upload. I called tech support who told me I was on ther 750K download but when I asked him about upload speed and contention ratios it all went quiet until he tried to tell me that my download speed could all depend on the internet......

So does any know what the upload speed is on a 750K cablemodem service and what the contention ratios are?

Also, I really used to be proud of being on a cable modem but it seems that all my mates on adsl are getting so much more for less money, what do you lot reckon? (in case you hadn't guessed thats why I want to know my upload and contention ratio)

Cheers dave

Hans Gruber
04-03-2005, 15:26
Your upload should be 128k. I couldn't answer the contention question though.

jtwn
04-03-2005, 15:28
20:1 iirc

04-03-2005, 15:29
isnt the contention ratio something like 20:1... ?

ian@huth
04-03-2005, 15:30
20:1 iircYes, it is 20:1 but there are significant differences in where contention occurs between cable and ADSL meaning a direct comparison is meaningless.

jtwn
04-03-2005, 15:43
Do you mean with cable it would be to the small green boxes whereas with adsl it is to the DSLAM?

BaillieBoy
13-03-2005, 15:50
NTL have the worst caps on their upload speed. It's something like 10th of the connection speed.

I have a 2mb, trying to get a 3mb but i have to wait a month, and all I'm getting is a crap 200k upload.

Paul K
13-03-2005, 16:08
NTL have the worst caps on their upload speed. It's something like 10th of the connection speed.

I have a 2mb, trying to get a 3mb but i have to wait a month, and all I'm getting is a crap 200k upload.
Why do you require a faster upload speed on your connection? Are you consistantly using your service to upload files and infotmation somewhere?

cold
13-03-2005, 16:13
Im on the 3mb package with an upload speed of 300k but for some reason my upload speeed measures i have 300k when tested on adslguide.org but will not upload any quicker than when i was on 256k. Sounds a little strange i know but its as if my modem freezes or creates spikes of lag when it hits an upload rate of 256 and wont upload any quicker. I have the ntl:home ambit 120 SACM.

Downstream Receive Power Level : 6.05 dBmv Downstream SNR : 33.74 dB Upstream Transmit Power Level : 50.25 dBmv
Apparently my downstream and upstream power levels are a bit high......could this be the cause? If so how would i correct the issue?

Paul K
13-03-2005, 16:37
Im on the 3mb package with an upload speed of 300k but for some reason my upload speeed measures i have 300k when tested on adslguide.org but will not upload any quicker than when i was on 256k. Sounds a little strange i know but its as if my modem freezes or creates spikes of lag when it hits an upload rate of 256 and wont upload any quicker. I have the ntl:home ambit 120 SACM.

Downstream Receive Power Level : 6.05 dBmv Downstream SNR : 33.74 dB Upstream Transmit Power Level : 50.25 dBmv
Apparently my downstream and upstream power levels are a bit high......could this be the cause? If so how would i correct the issue?

Contact CS and explain to them what's happening, tell them your power level readings and request an engineer visit to look into the problem and make any necessary adjustments. There's nothing you can do at your end, it will take a call out unfortunately.

cold
13-03-2005, 16:51
Contact CS and explain to them what's happening, tell them your power level readings and request an engineer visit to look into the problem and make any necessary adjustments. There's nothing you can do at your end, it will take a call out unfortunately.
Thanks very much indeed foryour reply;)

BaillieBoy
13-03-2005, 19:07
Why do you require a faster upload speed on your connection? Are you consistantly using your service to upload files and infotmation somewhere?

Yes actually. Is there a way I can improve my speed?

JohnHorb
13-03-2005, 19:18
Yes actually. Is there a way I can improve my speed?

Move to ADSL? (I'm not being 'funny' - from what I've read on this forum, cable technology is inherently more asymetric(sp?) than ADSL, so ADSL may give you a more 'balanced' service).

I may be talking rubbish, BTW.