PDA

View Full Version : Connection Randomly lost

The Butler
04-03-2005, 11:35
I'm really not sure what the problem is here but since wednesday i've been experiencing terrible problems with NTL BB. Every so often when browsing the internet it will "lose" the connection. Downloads continue fine and trillian still works but I get a page cannot be found error. Obviously this sometimes happens but since wednesday it happens with alarming regularity i.e. every other webpage I try and view will not be found and I'll have to wait approx 5mins before a refresh works.

Also since wednesday BB will just stop working until a reset the Standalone modem. This happens at exactly 9:30 on wednesday and thrursday and possibly toady (havent been in this morning but when I came back I had to reset).

Obviously this is very annoying and im not sure whether its the modem or my router as i beleive it may be a bit dodgey. I have to set up a port-forward on the router but everytime i reset the computer the router forgets this and I have to re-do it - is this normal?

I'm running Windows XP SP2
AMD Athlon 2100, MS-6570 nforce2 mobo with 768mb RAM
Connected using a Mercury KOB BRAP Router on ethernet to two computers
In Ipswich, not sure what standalone modem I have - its just a silver box with NTL Home written on it.

Any help would be great.
(p.s. sorry if I create multiple threads but every time I hit the submit new thread button I get the page not found error so i keep trying)

Stephen
04-03-2005, 11:41
My connection does the same every few hours and has done the last few weeks. I thought it was the router at first but after checking it is the modem. A simple restart of the router is enough to get the connection back. Have no idea what is cauing it and can't be arsed calling tech support.
It is really annoying though when I am using the net and it just stops working.

DbzDP
04-03-2005, 13:00
I had that problem too, I had to restart the MODEM, go to http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=24913 I posted there about it, if you also have same problems, just phone NTL and talk to them. In my case their was SNR Noise or something like in my line its fixed now :D

monkey2468
04-03-2005, 14:27
My connection does the same every few hours and has done the last few weeks. I thought it was the router at first but after checking it is the modem. A simple restart of the router is enough to get the connection back. Have no idea what is cauing it and can't be arsed calling tech support.
It is really annoying though when I am using the net and it just stops working.

If restarting the router brings the connection back, then wouldnt it be the router that is causing your problem?

Stephen
04-03-2005, 15:04
If restarting the router brings the connection back, then wouldnt it be the router that is causing your problem? That is what I thought at first, so I tried with just the modem and it still happened. Just powering off the router recconects the BB to the PC.