PDA

View Full Version : Internet Cuts Off, But Why ?

chaokusc
03-03-2005, 19:59
Every now and then i make a Counter Strike Source (or even CS 1.6) Server for me and 2 others, but my internet cuts off after 10 minutes and i need to reboot my STB and PC

Can anyone explain why this happens and how i can fix ?

Is there a cap on the internet or somthing as this really sucks

Thanks

simpsonsFAN
03-03-2005, 20:14
1) phone ntl 0800 052 2000 and start complaining
2) ask them to give you a seperate cable modem so that way when your set top box crashs your internet still stays online.

-Chris

Chris W
03-03-2005, 20:23
1) phone ntl 0800 052 2000 and start complaining
2) ask them to give you a seperate cable modem so that way when your set top box crashs your internet still stays online.

-Chris

whoa! easy there.... if this is a fault with the PC, or with the line into the property, this isn't going to make any difference. I am not saying that it isn't the stb, but without some diagnostics it is impossible to tell.

Let's have some more information first please- eg, which version of windows? usb or ethernet? using or router or direct connection? does the mcns light on the box go off when you lose connection?

Please provide as much info as possible! Also if you PM me the STB serial number i'll have a look at the connection.

Raistlin
03-03-2005, 20:27
What are your upload levels like. I know that if you completely max out your uploads it will cause problems with the receipt of packets coming in on the dowload. This tends to lead to your connection locking up.

If you're making a server that others are connecting to remotely then this could be the source of your problem.....Maybe.....

Graham M
03-03-2005, 21:42
What area do u live in by the way? Im in Bournemouth and there's a few problems around here in the last week or so.

arronc
03-03-2005, 22:07
the same has been happening to me the last few weeks. i play a online game after about a hour my connection goes. have to restart the computer and my cable modem box. ****ing me off to the max. emailed ntl two weeks ago... no reply.. emailed again today.. i dont know whats going on but something has channged been gaming with ntl for over two years.. no problems and now this!

sort it out ntl... a very unhappy customer at the moment

chaokusc
03-03-2005, 22:11
Let's have some more information first please- eg, which version of windows? usb or ethernet? using or router or direct connection? does the mcns light on the box go off when you lose connection?

Windows XP Home
Service Pack 2 (All Firewalls Off)
Intel Pentium 4 (2cpu) 3.00GHz & 2.99GHz
1GB RAM
Ethernet to USB Device
No Router, its a direct connection
(THE CD KEPT NOT RESPONDING SO I COPIED THE Aeilab.sys to %system% as told by somone on the phone and the internet worked)
Im unsure why the CD stops responding on my computer, is it because i have a powerful computer.

As far as i know this only happens when im uploading a lot, no problems when im downloading or when i connect to another server on my games.

I did phone ntl about this and they sent an engineer out... said somthing about running at 12 decimals (i dunno how to spell decimals) when even 4 decimals is high and may cause something like this, but once he fixed it, it didnt fix the problem.

Graham M
03-03-2005, 22:19
And where do you live? And its 12 Decibels, i think the power to your CM/STB has to be between 9&12 or something like that for a reliable connection

chaokusc
03-03-2005, 22:26
Yea i told ya i dunno how to spell it,
But yea the engineer said anything above 4 is too high and he lowered it.

Should i phone Ntl and ask about that ?

I live in England, Manchester

Raistlin
03-03-2005, 22:37
As far as i know this only happens when im uploading a lot, no problems when im downloading or when i connect to another server on my games.

See my previous post.

The way I understand it is that your PC confirms every packet of data that it receives. If you completely max out your upload then it is unable to transmitt these confirmations within the required time. This means that as far as the network is concerned the packets of information are not bein received so it stops transmitting / forwarding packets to your machine, hence the reason that your connection drops.

I'm not sure that this is the problem in your case (in fact there's a good chance that it isn't) but if you are constantly maxing your upload then it may well be a contributing factor.

chaokusc
03-03-2005, 22:44
See my previous post.

The way I understand it is that your PC confirms every packet of data that it receives. If you completely max out your upload then it is unable to transmitt these confirmations within the required time. This means that as far as the network is concerned the packets of information are not bein received so it stops transmitting / forwarding packets to your machine, hence the reason that your connection drops.

I'm not sure that this is the problem in your case (in fact there's a good chance that it isn't) but if you are constantly maxing your upload then it may well be a contributing factor.

Is there a way to fix this on my end ?

If there any way i can check my computer settings before phoning ntl again about the problem, that way i can say there is nothing wrong on my end

Packets Sent: 157,177
Packets Recieved: 152,083

Chris W
04-03-2005, 00:53
argh... usb.... do you not have a network card in your computer?? if you do, swap over to it... now!!!!

a little bit of an explanation is here (www.ntlworld.com/ethernet) but basically, the usb relies on the system resources of the pc- a recent game (eg half life2) will increase the usage here dramatically so it is a good idea to get onto ethernet if you can.

If you don't have a NIC installed, you can buy one for about £2.50 from sites such as ebuyer (www.ebuyer.com), dabs (www.dabs.com) or insight (www.insight.com/uk)... well worth the investment!!

chaokusc
04-03-2005, 07:55
[QUOTE=monkeybreath]argh... usb.... do you not have a network card in your computer?? if you do, swap over to it... now!!!![QUOTE]

monkeybreath although i would love to use Ethernet there is a problem im unsure about.
It seems there is 1 place on the back of my computer for it.
(It says Network above the spot and had a sticker of a crossed out telephone)
But once i plug it in it then it wont work.

A ballon will popup says A Network Cable Is Unplugged.
Do you have any idea why this could happen ?

Toto
04-03-2005, 08:26
[QUOTE=monkeybreath]argh... usb.... do you not have a network card in your computer?? if you do, swap over to it... now!!!![QUOTE]

monkeybreath although i would love to use Ethernet there is a problem im unsure about.
It seems there is 1 place on the back of my computer for it.
(It says Network above the spot and had a sticker of a crossed out telephone)
But once i plug it in it then it wont work.

A ballon will popup says A Network Cable Is Unplugged.
Do you have any idea why this could happen ?

Hmm, more information is needed, but monkeybreath is right, assign your USB connection to the bin, its trouble.

An Ethernet connection is far superior, and not system intensive.

DieDieMyDarling
04-03-2005, 10:26
I really don't think the USB is the problem. I have my 1.5mb connection running off USB and it never causes me problems.

I'm wondering what connection you're on, as your actual overall upload stream will play a big part in what you can handle, ie. hosting an online game.

Also, do you have a download manager or P2P software that you leave running?

Do you have any problems playing CS online on someone elses server? Or is it just when you host a game?

chaokusc
04-03-2005, 13:27
I really don't think the USB is the problem. I have my 1.5mb connection running off USB and it never causes me problems.

I'm wondering what connection you're on, as your actual overall upload stream will play a big part in what you can handle, ie. hosting an online game.

Do you have any problems playing CS online on someone elses server? Or is it just when you host a game?

I'm wondering what connection you're on
750k package by the STB, going on the modem once they fix it http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?p=413189#post413189

BitComet (Torrent Software) which i use to download Anime Episodes then upload by ftp to my site.
But this is not on most of the time, 2 times a week, for 2 episodes
(Unlicenced Anime, so thats legal ;) )

Do you have any problems playing CS online on someone elses server? Or is it just when you host a game?[/
Nope, just when i create my own server.