PDA

View Full Version : problems with ethernet adapter caused by belkin router!

siashton
03-03-2005, 17:56
Hi all,
I recently installed a belkin router and wireless network but I now have a problem in that having installed my router, the internet is now available only on the laptop and not the main PC. I phoned belkin support and pointed out the fact that my drivers disappeared from my main PC when i installed there router but as usual they wouldn't admit its there product that caused this.All they said was that I need the ethernet drivers from my ISP (NTL) but the problem is I have misplaced my NTL cd and I cant find the drivers anywhere as the cable modem is not made by a large manufacturer such as motorola etc.
On my network adapter lists (before they got wiped off) it only said 'USB Cable Modem 351000' whereas household brands would say motorola cable modem for example.
Phoned NTL earlier and all they said was there are 15 000 people on the waiting list for a CD and I cant be waiting that long for it.
Could someone please tell me where to get the drivers from? Or sending me them could be an option. Any advice that will help solve my problem would be greatly appreciated!
My operating system is Windows ME as well.
PS I am not a computer expert so please explain any possible solution step by step, especially if it involves altering settings.
Cheers,
Simon Ashtonhttp://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/images/icons/icon7.gif

03-03-2005, 18:04
hi siashton.
i dont think the NTL cd would be of much use to you as i dont think the cd has network card drivers on it....i aint worked for ntl for a while so i stand to be corrected if they've made any changes to whats on the disk.

it might be worth trying a reset on everything,
ie: turn off the pc, the router and the cable modem.....also may be worth removing the catv cable for a little while... then connect the catv...power up the cable modem...wait for the synch and rdy lights to lock on...then power up the belkin router then restart the pc.

hope this helps.

ian@huth
03-03-2005, 18:07
Hi Simon and :welcome: to cableforum.

There are no ethernet drivers on the NTL CD so I don't know what Belkin are on about.

How is your main PC connected to the router, wired or wireless.

siashton
03-03-2005, 18:24
Oh well. my main computer is connected to the router via a standard rj45 cable as instructed. Something related to the router has deleted my ethernet adapter from my main PC and I cannot now connect to the internet using ethernet meaning I cant use my wireless network. I was just told to get the contents of the NTL cd as it would put my settings back on to the computer and mean I could use ethernet again but apparently I cant!

thanks,

Si

Neil
03-03-2005, 18:33
I don't mean to sound harsh, but peeps running Windows M.E with little or no computer/I.T knowledge just shouldn't be running wireless routers IMO. :erm:

I know that sounds horrible, but a bit more research should be done before spending time/money on ventures like these.

:welcome: to the site Si, please don't take offence, it's just that I can never understand when people buy complicated bits of kit & then say "I don't know much about computers"

I know everyone needs to start somewhere, & that we were all n00bs once, but I still feel people rush in to places where they perhaps shouldn't when it comes to PCs.

siashton
03-03-2005, 18:47
Perhaps I should have explained myself a bit more...I am no expert on computers but I can do a lot of things that novices cant. Also, I tried installing the router for my mother and I did exactly what was stated in the manual that came with it to set it up and the end result was the wireless network half working but me being left with no internet on my main PC. All I need is for someone to tell me how to get my internet back without going through the NTL setup disk again (because I dont have it!) and I will be sorted. I'm upgrading to XP pro soon as well, is this a wise idea do you think?

Cheers,

Si

JohnHorb
03-03-2005, 19:00
One thing that's confusing me here. Post #1 refers to the driver for a USB modem. However post #4 implies that the PC is connected to the router via Ethernet. If the PC was originally connected to the modem via USB, you WOULD have needed the modem driver from the CD. If you are now connecting (to the router) via ethernet, you need the driver for your Ethernet interface, which will either be provided on the Windows CD, or by the manufacturer of your PC or Ethernet card. You don't need any NTL or cable modem software.

homealone
03-03-2005, 19:13
have a look in this link, Si

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/cmtips/usb.html#usbvsenet

- the Ambit 351000 usb modem is badged as an ntl:home for ntl installations

for an up to date usb driver, try

http://list.driverguide.com/list/company2087/

- but I agree with JohnHorb, it will be better to go with an ethernet solution :)

siashton
03-03-2005, 22:46
yeah i want to go ethernet as my computer runs very slow on usb in any case and then hopefully my wireless network should allow me to access the net on both computers not just the laptop.
also i apologise for my bad explanation in my first post, what i meant was my cable modem is currently connected to my pc via usb but it allows you to choose between ethernet or usb and of course routers only accept ethernet so i changed from connecting to my main pc using usb to ethernet as instructed to do so in the router manual and having done this i couldn't connect to the net on main pc as there are apparently no settings for ethernet on my pc. I apologise again for my terrible explanations but my field is business and economics not computing as i'm sure you can all tell :)

homealone
03-03-2005, 22:57
yeah i want to go ethernet as my computer runs very slow on usb in any case and then hopefully my wireless network should allow me to access the net on both computers not just the laptop.
also i apologise for my bad explanation in my first post, what i meant was my cable modem is currently connected to my pc via usb but it allows you to choose between ethernet or usb and of course routers only accept ethernet so i changed from connecting to my main pc using usb to ethernet as instructed to do so in the router manual and having done this i couldn't connect to the net on main pc as there are apparently no settings for ethernet on my pc. I apologise again for my terrible explanations but my field is business and economics not computing as i'm sure you can all tell :)

the good news is that where-ever you go, pcworld or staples or maplin, a bog standard 10/100 network card will cost less than £10 :)

ian@huth
03-03-2005, 23:33
From the sound of it Si already has an ethernet card in his PC but can't get a connection using it.

It could be that the ethernet adaptor in his PC is not enabled in the bios or that the ethernet drivers haven't been loaded. Make sure the RJ45 lead is straight through and not crossover.

Si, Have a look in Device Manager first to see if there is an ethernet card listed under Network Adapters and if it is working correctly. If it is then have a look at the CDs and disks you got with your PC for an ethernet driver and install it.

Robin Walker haas an excellent site for troubleshooting connection problems at http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/cmtips/ethernet.html which you can have a look through if at any time nobody is around to help.

zoombini
04-03-2005, 08:27
Can you also let us know the model number of the router?

If the ethernet card has dissapeared then you just need to reinstall it.
Remove it from in device manager then shutdown, restart & it should come up & look fro drivers again.
they "will" still be on the PC, it just forgot where :D.

Failing that identify your ethernet card & find it's support website to download them again.