PDA

View Full Version : NTL broadband and router connection

pusherman
02-03-2005, 20:53
At the moment I have my NTL cable set top box connected to the USB port on my Linux box and I'm connected to the internet fine. I want to connect another pc (WinXP) to the internet so I got a router and tried that (q-tec 10/100 Mbps Ethernet Broadband router).

I connect the cable from my NTL box to the router and then connect the two PC's to the router. I am still connecting using the USB port on my Linux box via the RJ45 to USB adapter that came with my installation package. So the USB port has the adapter plugged into it, I have an RJ45 cable plugged into that adapter and the other end plugged directly into the back of the router.

On the router I have several lights; LAN 1 to 4 and WAN Link/ACT. When I connect the PC's to the router LAN 1 and 2 light up, this, according to the manual, indicates that the two ports are connected to a 100Mbps Fast Ethernet station. This I assume means that the router can 'see' the two pc's. However, the WAN Link/ACT doesn't light up at all. The manual says that when the router is connected to a xDSL/Cable modem then the light should light up green and flash when data is being transmitted.

If I connect my WinXP PC up in the same manner as above I get exactly the same problem.

How do I get my router to 'see' the NTL set top box?

Thanks for any help
Pusherman

Chris
02-03-2005, 21:32
:welcome: to Cable Forum, Pusherman. We have plenty of knowledgeable folks around here, I'm sure one of them will be along with some advice soon. :)

mmm
02-03-2005, 21:41
Hi,

You have to reboot the cable box (power off for for 30 secs then restart) or 'clone' the mac address of the network adapter you were using to get it to talk to the router.

I don't have an STB but you used to have to reregister a changed netword card by going to

http://start.ntl/

but I think I saw someone saying the procedure has changed....

I'm impressed you got the USB to elthernet device to work under Linux - would have thought it would be much easier/ better to use a real network card!

Matth
03-03-2005, 18:45
I've always cloned the adapter MAC address to the router - saves going through the registering procedure, and makes it easy to swap back.

If the router is not capable of auto-X selection, you may need to add or remove a crossover - the NTL supplied kit I have, has a straight cable and a crossover adapter, and it plugs directly in to my Sweex LB000021 without alteration (crossover adapter still in place).

pusherman
03-03-2005, 19:44
I did need the crossover adapter that came with the cable that was provided by NTL and boot the machine in the following order:

Turn ALL equipment off and leave the set top box off for 30 secs
Power up the router
Power up the set top box and wait for the green flashing lights to settle down
Power up both pc's

From then on it just worked!

Thanks for the replies guys

Pusherman. :D