PDA

View Full Version : help with low download speed

balaban
02-03-2005, 17:05
I have recently installed 1.5Mbps broadband onto a new PC running XP Home, and I've found that the download speeds seem to be pretty low - approximately 280kbps (via testing on mcafee speedometer).Actual download speeds are around 30kbps; Ping times are fine (averaging 10ms), it's just downloads that seem below par. Streaming videos also are extremely jerky and pixellated (I am unable to watch streaming videos at more than 300k as they are far too corrupted and jerky).

I have run complete Spyware checks (using Adaware SE), have ZoneAlarm as a firewall, no other background tasks.

Is this a typical download speed for this connection? And if not, any idea how I could remedy the situation?

Thanks for your help

Electrolyte01
02-03-2005, 17:09
You have the 300K service still. That's the same speed as mine.

ian@huth
02-03-2005, 17:12
I have recently installed 1.5Mbps broadband onto a new PC running XP Home, and I've found that the download speeds seem to be pretty low - approximately 280kbps (via testing on mcafee speedometer).Actual download speeds are around 30kbps; Ping times are fine (averaging 10ms), it's just downloads that seem below par. Streaming videos also are extremely jerky and pixellated (I am unable to watch streaming videos at more than 300k as they are far too corrupted and jerky).

I have run complete Spyware checks (using Adaware SE), have ZoneAlarm as a firewall, no other background tasks.

Is this a typical download speed for this connection? And if not, any idea how I could remedy the situation?

Thanks for your help
Hi balaban and :welcome:

Sounds like you're only on the 300k service.

balaban
02-03-2005, 17:14
I applied for 1.5Mbps, I was told that this service was half price for 3 months and then all service are being upgraded (I think she said 3Mbps).

Is there a way I can check my account info? To ascertain without doubt my actual connection? Please don't tell me I need to call ntl again...

and thanks for the quick response and the Welcome :)

ian@huth
02-03-2005, 17:18
I applied for 1.5Mbps, I was told that this service was half price for 3 months and then all service are being upgraded (I think she said 3Mbps).

Is there a way I can check my account info? To ascertain without doubt my actual connection? Please don't tell me I need to call ntl again...

and thanks for the quick response and the Welcome :)Have a look at http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/article.php?a=18

balaban
02-03-2005, 18:03
you're not gonna believe this - I don't know my Ntlworld username (I remember the password). Any way I can retrieve the name?

I just remembered it - I've logged in and it's saying 'unable to identify the Cable modem MAC (or ethernet) address. Please reboot your PC and Cable Modem and try again'.

My modem is installed via USB - should I switch to Ethernet?

after reboot exactly the same message

am currently on phone to ntl - i'm set up for 300k. Thanks very much for your help - much appreciated.