PDA

View Full Version : Time for Tea?

Salu
02-03-2005, 15:04
The meal you have around 6pm every night is called by many names. In the north a lot of folk call it "Tea" whereas in the South it is called "dinner".

What do you call it?

Paul
02-03-2005, 15:07
Tea Time :)

We have Breakfast > Dinner > Tea > Supper.

Salu
02-03-2005, 15:08
What about a roast on a Sunday at around midday.

Would that be Sunday Dinner or Sunday lunch or either?

Chris
02-03-2005, 15:09
Both, interchangeably ... I always saw them as meaning the same. I voted 'tea' as I probably use that more often.

Paul
02-03-2005, 15:13
Would that be Sunday Dinner or Sunday lunch or either?Dinner or Lunch - both are the same to me - the day of the week has no bearing on the name here.

I voted 'tea' as I probably use that more often.Not according to the list :confused:

Chris
02-03-2005, 15:18
Dinner or Lunch - both are the same to me - the day of the week has no bearing on the name here.

Not according to the list :confused:

I changed my mind and used my supermod powers to edit the results. ;)

Caspar
02-03-2005, 15:21
We have Breakfast > Dinner > Tea > Supper.

Both, interchangeably ... I always saw them as meaning the same. I voted 'tea' as I probably use that more often.

Same here :)

Halcyon
02-03-2005, 15:23
I call it "dinner" most of the time.
Supper is more a late night snack around 11pm isnt it ?.

Caspar
02-03-2005, 15:23
Tho as weekend I may sleep in:

We have Breakfast > Tea > Supper

Therefore having Breakie at 11am...and then Tea a couple of hours earlier...and when we do...have supper no later than 9pm...(:nono: sleeping on a full tummy! ;))

Russ
02-03-2005, 15:25
Am I allowed to add what my 19 month old daughter calls it?

"Num Nums" :D

Paul
02-03-2005, 15:31
Am I allowed to add what my 19 month old daughter calls it?

"Num Nums" :DThere's always one .... :erm: :p:

I changed my mind and used my supermod powers to edit the results. ;)I see, in that case I'll use my super-super powers to fix it better ;)

Chris
02-03-2005, 15:32
I see, in that case I'll use my super-super powers to fix it better ;)

Show off :p:

Aragorn
02-03-2005, 15:36
I'm a Southerner and I call it tea - usually!

BootBoy
02-03-2005, 15:43
Tea - from high tea, light afternoon meal 4pm - 6pm
Dinner - formal evening meal 6-8
lunch - lunch

When I was young, it was always Breakfast-dinner-tea-supper (if we were lucky)

Earl of Bronze
02-03-2005, 16:10
I voted dinner, because its always been Dinner since I was a sprog. :)

skyblueheroes
02-03-2005, 16:12
Tea !

gary_580
02-03-2005, 16:17
Depends what day it is. Mon to Fri its tea, Sat and Sun its dinner due to lack of lunch.

dilli-theclaw
02-03-2005, 16:36
I'm a 'Tea' Man - my dad is a 'Supper' man...

Gareth
02-03-2005, 16:51
I said tea too. I always think of dinner as being at midday-ish, kinda like when it was dinner-time when you were a school kid, so to now call the meal in the evening dinner would just confuse me.

Although, we actually eat very late compared to friends & family... eating at anywhere from 8pm onwards. We're very continental in our house ;)

BootBoy
02-03-2005, 16:54
We're very continental in our house ;)

You eat horse meat and smell of garlic?;)

Dave Stones
02-03-2005, 17:48
the rules of the universe dictate that meals go in the following order:

breakfast >> brunch >> dinner >> afternoon tea >> tea >> supper >> 3am snack

therefore, it is tea and anyone who says otherwise is just plain posh :p:

and no i don't live in a posh house, afternoon snack is during or just after neighbours :)

Salu
02-03-2005, 21:03

and no i don't live in a posh house, afternoon snack is during or just after neighbours :)

Where's lunch in all that then?

Paul
02-03-2005, 21:06
Where's lunch in all that then?Lunch is just another name for Dinner.

Chris
02-03-2005, 21:38
Where's lunch in all that then?

He's a student, what we call lunch is on his list as 'breakfast'. ;)

Halcyon
02-03-2005, 21:56
LOL

Students are allowed to get up late. Imagine all that work we have to do. Its very stessful you know.
Especially going in only twice a week. ;)

Dave Stones
02-03-2005, 22:37
i have 5 days a week, 730am getting up time. anyone who has otherwise is quite simply a git, or as i happily refer to my sport/exercise sciences housemate, doing a mickey mouse :)

dinner is usually 12-1 or 1-2, if i am lucky i can get home before neighbours starts...

have to get up early on the weekend too for work, no lie ins for dave at uni, its all work work work :(

/moan off

greencreeper
02-03-2005, 23:30
I've always considered the use of "lunch" and eating a large meal at 6pm as things that the upper classes do. For me, it's:

Breakfast -> Dinner -> Tea -> Supper

Though I nearly always skip breakfast (too early to eat) and I eat tea at around 7pm - I get home around 5:40pm and start cooking at 6:00pm - so tea is effectively supper. At weekends I eat when hungry, and I try and push the boat out for Sunday Dinner.

When I stayed with friends in Scotland, we had "high tea", which was basically a late tea. I love regional variations on things.

ian@huth
02-03-2005, 23:43

If you have brunch during the morning your logic is all screwed. Brunch is a meal consisting of a late breakfast combined with an early lunch so you should have lunch following brunch not dinner.

We call the 6:00 pm meal tea except on Sundays when we have the Sunday Roast at that time and call it dinner. The mid-day meal is lunch but that has changed since schooldays when we called it dinner.

Dave Stones
02-03-2005, 23:45
If you have brunch during the morning your logic is all screwed. Brunch is a meal consisting of a late breakfast combined with an early lunch so you should have lunch following brunch not dinner.

ok i will call it brinner then :)

brunch, in between breakfast and dinner :)

ian@huth
02-03-2005, 23:48
ok i will call it brinner then :)

brunch, in between breakfast and dinner :)
Why not just put 24 hour troughing? :D

Dave Stones
02-03-2005, 23:49
Why not just put 24 hour troughing? :D

cos im not a pig ;)

my food for the next week consists of 2 tins of tomato soup... :)

BootBoy
02-03-2005, 23:56
In Middle English dinner meant †œbreakfast,Ãƒà ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã‚à ‚ as did the Old French word disner, or diner, which was the source of our word. The Old French word came from the Vulgar Latin word *disiDownload Failed (1)nDownload Failed (1)re, meaning †œto break one's fast; that is, to eat one's first meal,ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šà ¬Ã‚Â a notion also contained in our word breakfast. The Vulgar Latin word was derived from an earlier word, *disiDownload Failed (1)iDownload Failed (1)nDownload Failed (1)re, the Latin elements of which are dis-, denoting reversal, and iDownload Failed (1)iDownload Failed (1)nium, †œfast.â €  Middle English diner not only meant †œbreakfastà¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã‚à  but, echoing usage of the Old French word diner, more commonly meant †œthe first big meal of the day, usually eaten between 9 A.M. and noon.ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šà ¬Ã‚Â Customs change, however, and over the years we have let the chief meal become the last meal of the day, by which time we have broken our fast more than once.

So there you have it, dinner is whenever you want it to be!

homealone
03-03-2005, 00:02
cos im not a pig ;)

my food for the next week consists of 2 tins of tomato soup... :)

I like you, Dave

- not that it will help you, in any shape or form, but I wanted to say it - good luck with only the soup for tea, eat it all at once, then suffer, I reckon ;)

Salu
03-03-2005, 09:34
In Middle English dinner meant †œbreakfast,Ãƒà ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã‚à ‚ as did the Old French word disner, or diner, which was the source of our word. The Old French word came from the Vulgar Latin word *disiDownload Failed (1)nDownload Failed (1)re, meaning †œto break one's fast; that is, to eat one's first meal,ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šà ¬Ã‚Â a notion also contained in our word breakfast. The Vulgar Latin word was derived from an earlier word, *disiDownload Failed (1)iDownload Failed (1)nDownload Failed (1)re, the Latin elements of which are dis-, denoting reversal, and iDownload Failed (1)iDownload Failed (1)nium, †œfast.â €  Middle English diner not only meant †œbreakfastà¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã‚à  but, echoing usage of the Old French word diner, more commonly meant †œthe first big meal of the day, usually eaten between 9 A.M. and noon.ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šà ¬Ã‚Â Customs change, however, and over the years we have let the chief meal become the last meal of the day, by which time we have broken our fast more than once.

So there you have it, dinner is whenever you want it to be!

According to www.dictionary.com which is where I believe you got the above from....it says that Dinner is the Chief meal of the day. So could be either taken at Midday or in the evening. This would infer that lunch is a light meal taken at midday..

Nugget
03-03-2005, 09:51
<snip>and no i don't live in a posh house, afternoon snack is during or just after neighbours :)

:confused: Why would you want a snack if you've just eaten your neighbours :disturbd:

Greedy boy :)

BootBoy
03-03-2005, 09:54
According to www.dictionary.com (http://www.dictionary.com/) which is where I believe you got the above from....it says that Dinner is the Chief meal of the day. So could be either taken at Midday or in the evening. This would infer that lunch is a light meal taken at midday..

I think it was dictionary.com, but I found the same paragraph on several sites.

Lunch can only be taken at midday, without exception everybody understands that. The issue is Dinner and Tea.
If you have Dinner (your main meal) at lunchtime then you may have a tea at teatime, but if your main meal is Dinner in the evening, then you may have had a lunch?

Ramrod
03-03-2005, 10:01
din·ner n.

The chief meal of the day, eaten in the evening or at midday.
A banquet or formal meal in honor of a person or event.
The food prepared for either of these meals.
A full-course meal served at a fixed price; table d'hÃÃ*’´te.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[Middle English diner, morning meal, from Old French disner, diner, to dine, morning meal. See dine.]
Word History: Eating foods such as pizza and ice cream for breakfast may be justified etymologically. In Middle English dinner meant †œbreakfast,Ãƒà ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã‚à ‚ as did the Old French word disner, or diner, which was the source of our word. The Old French word came from the Vulgar Latin word *disinre, meaning †œto break one's fast; that is, to eat one's first meal,ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šà ¬Ã‚Â a notion also contained in our word breakfast. The Vulgar Latin word was derived from an earlier word, *disiinre, the Latin elements of which are dis-, denoting reversal, and iinium, †œfast.â €  Middle English diner not only meant †œbreakfastà¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã‚à  but, echoing usage of the Old French word diner, more commonly meant †œthe first big meal of the day, usually eaten between 9 A.M. and noon.ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šà ¬Ã‚Â Customs change, however, and over the years we have let the chief meal become the last meal of the day, by which time we have broken our fast more than once.

I use breakfast>lunch>dinner but you can see from the above dictionary.com entry why we are a little confused about the subject

edit........I see that bootboy et al got there first :D

Mal
03-03-2005, 10:14
I'm a 'Tea' Man - my dad is a 'Supper' man...
For a moment there, I thought that your dad must be called Clark... ;) :D

It's called tea in my house.

Mr_love_monkey
03-03-2005, 11:38
It's dinner monday to Saturday, and then on Sunday it's tea, because you have a sunday roast at lunch time.
It's the law you know

Dude111
08-07-2021, 00:37
The meal you have around 6pm every night is called by many names. In the north a lot of folk call it "Tea" whereas in the South it is called "dinner".

What do you call it?Wow Ya learn something all the time!!

I havent ever heard it called TEA :D

I usually call it supper........ (Sometimes Dinner)

Halcyon
08-07-2021, 10:49
Talk about resurection of threads!

Probably everyone finished their dinner by now.

tweetiepooh
08-07-2021, 11:28
6pm would be snack time.

If I could get away with it meals would be
morning = breakfast (light)
midday = lunch followed by snooze
evening (1800) = nibbles/snacking
night (2100 or later) = dinner

tea is a drink.

Hom3r
10-07-2021, 16:49
I have always said Breakfast > Dinner > Tea > Supper.

My sister started to say Breakfast > Lunch > Dinner.

This got confusing to her kids when we had them for a few days

Hugh
10-07-2021, 18:53
Be a Hobbit.

Breakfast - 7 a.m.
Second Breakfast - 9 a.m.
Elevenses - 11 a.m.
Luncheon - 1 p.m.
Afternoon Tea - 3 p.m.
Dinner - 6 p.m.
Supper - 9 p.m.

(Yes, I know it’s six in the book…)

SnoopZ
10-07-2021, 19:01
When i was younger my parents called it Tea, but i call it Dinner now as doesn't sound right calling it Tea, you can't exactly say lets go out for Tea thats crazy and would confuse everyone.

Breakfast
Lunch
Dinner
Supper

RichardCoulter
10-07-2021, 19:39
In my experience it seems to be a class and a geographical thing.

Working class people (particularly in the North) often say dinner & tea. Down South (or middle class people in the North) tend to use the terms lunch and dinner.

Myself I tend to use lunch & dinner interchangeably for the midday meal & evening meal for the later meal.

Dude111
10-07-2021, 21:40
Be a Hobbit.

Breakfast - 7 a.m.
Second Breakfast - 9 a.m.
Elevenses - 11 a.m.
Luncheon - 1 p.m.
Afternoon Tea - 3 p.m.
Dinner - 6 p.m.
Supper - 9 p.m.

(Yes, I know its six in the book)Yes but who cares..... Thats a good schedule!!