PDA

View Full Version : How long will it take to "Fix My Line"

DbzDP
02-03-2005, 11:30
Few days ago my Internet Connection dropped at random, I rebooted everything and even tried changing my Web Cache Proxy, it still dropped for some reason.
I phoned NTL, yesterday and they said it could be my Router, so I got the latest Router Firmware, it seemed to have fixed my connection, but it didn't (The Techinical Support guy couldn't check my line because I had a Router), so today I connected to the MODEM to the PC, no Router, and I still got the same problem, this time I phoned them up with my Modem connected to my PC and they Techinical Woman on the other end did a test on my line and found out that there is a problem and they will fix it.

What I wanna know if how long will it take to fix it. I wasn't given a straight answer.

Neil
02-03-2005, 11:45
Ring back & ask them?

DbzDP
02-03-2005, 11:54
The answer I was giving was, "I have emailed the support, they will accelerate fixing it" Whenever that means.

Neil
02-03-2005, 12:12
Ring them ask

A) What the actual problem is.

B) Who it is they have "emailed".

DbzDP
02-03-2005, 12:14
The problem is something is wrong with my LINE. That is all I was told
I think she emailed the line fixing people or something I am not sure myself. I already phoned NTL enough to bring up a £10 bill.

Neil
02-03-2005, 12:17
Is this Cable Broadband or ADSL from ntl?

What number did you ring to report the fault?

paulyoung666
02-03-2005, 12:18
The problem is something is wrong with my LINE. That is all I was told
I think she emailed the line fixing people or something I am not sure myself. I already phoned NTL enough to bring up a £10 bill.

just a small point , the calls to ntl c.s. are free from an ntl line :)

DbzDP
02-03-2005, 12:32
I don't have a NTL Phone Line, I got BT.

I was going to say "I think the connection have stabilized now, I haven't been disconnected for a while now."
Damn then it dropped my connection so I had to reboot the modem again.lol

Is this Cable Broadband or ADSL from ntl?

What number did you ring to report the fault?

I phoned NTL Techinical support the number was 0845 650 0121
Yesterday I spend like 15mins in queue and today like 7mins. And add that with the talking etc, altogether thats like nearly 30mins I guess.
I phoned around the 4p per minute time as well.

Nevermind that is not £10 then. lol
I am thinking back to my Pay as your go days for some reason.lol

Neil
02-03-2005, 12:39
I don't understand how you connect to the internet, sorry.

1) What part of the country are you in?

2) Does you internet come in via a cable modem or from your Digital TV Set Top Box?

3) How much does your internet from ntl cost?

Sorry, but I'm just :confused: now.

DbzDP
02-03-2005, 13:52
I don't understand how you connect to the internet, sorry.

1) What part of the country are you in?
I am in London

2) Does you internet come in via a cable modem or from your Digital TV Set Top Box?
It comes thru Cable Modem

3) How much does your internet from ntl cost?
I got the 1.5MBit connection

Also I just got the Broadband service nothing else.

[Edit] (Neil)-I've fixed your quotes. :)

Neil
02-03-2005, 13:56
Ok, I follow you now.

AFAIC, telling you that they will email someone about your problem is not acceptable-did you get the name of this person?

Ring back, ask to speak to a Team Leader, explain that you unhappy with the response you were given & ask for a detailed explanation of what ntl are doing to fix the problem that you have contacted them about, on the broadband service that you are paying them for. :)

Make sure you get names of everyone you speak to-it's rule #1 for dealing with ntl. ;)

DbzDP
02-03-2005, 14:19
Ok, I follow you now.

AFAIC, telling you that they will email someone about your problem is not acceptable-did you get the name of this person?

Ring back, ask to speak to a Team Leader, explain that you unhappy with the response you were given & ask for a detailed explanation of what ntl are doing to fix the problem that you have contacted them about, on the broadband service that you are paying them for. :)

Make sure you get names of everyone you speak to-it's rule #1 for dealing with ntl. ;)

I got an Reference Number so I wouldn't have to explain myself over and over and over etc. If it ain't getting solved by tommorrow I am phoning back.

nostra
02-03-2005, 15:17
if you want to PM me the call reference number i can take a look to see if i can give you some more information of what the problem is and what is being done when i am in later

DbzDP
02-03-2005, 15:26
number if you want to PM me the call reference number i can take a look to see if i can give you some more information of what the problem is and what is being done when i am in later

PM sent

nostra
02-03-2005, 15:28
thanks will let you know when i have some information :)

should be around 6pm ish

nostra
02-03-2005, 17:55
ok had a look, this problem is down to something called your channel signal to noise ratio, it is extremely low this is an area issue on your cable and is not something that is specific to you, the rep that you spoke to earlier today has forwarded these details on to faults so that they can investigate where the noise is coming into the cable to cause this SNR to be so low. that is all the information that there is at this time, and im sorry you will just have to bear with it while it is investigated :(

this could cause a slow connection because of packet loss
OR no connectivity at sometimes at all

Neil
02-03-2005, 18:00
ok had a look, this problem is down to something called your channel signal to noise ratio, it is extremely low this is an area issue on your cable and is not something that is specific to you, the rep that you spoke to earlier today has forwarded these details on to faults so that they can investigate where the noise is coming into the cable to cause this SNR to be so low. that is all the information that there is at this time, and im sorry you will just have to bear with it while it is investigated :(

Good update. :tu:

Presumably this customer is entitled to some form of monthly discount as this is more than a "fault"?

DbzDP
02-03-2005, 18:03
Its 6PM now.
Are you at the NTL Technical Support Center now or at home? lol

nostra
02-03-2005, 18:08
with regards to compensation --

dont know would need to talk to customer service sorry.

and yes i am in now

DbzDP
02-03-2005, 18:38
Thanks Nostra greatly appreciated

You are 100% correct about it.
Because I pinged Google.com and sometimes I would get 0% loss and sometimes 25% and sometimes 100% lol

ian@huth
02-03-2005, 23:21

OR no connectivity at sometimes at allProbably a few DIY split offs to blame. :)

nostra
03-03-2005, 09:02
i will take another look tonight to see if the channel SNR has improved any for you :)

DbzDP
03-03-2005, 16:53
I think they are making progress on fixing my line since my Modem restarted twice. lol

nostra
03-03-2005, 18:20
yes your channel SNR is now good is over 25 which is a good level as long as it stays that way :D

DbzDP
03-03-2005, 21:31
Thanks for your help Nostra.
I see my connection is good since it hasn't disconnected me in like 6+ hours or something.

nostra
04-03-2005, 08:55
let me know if it changes and i will re-look at the issue and re-escalate it if required :)

DbzDP
04-03-2005, 10:50
let me know if it changes and i will re-look at the issue and re-escalate it if required :)

Do you think you can look at how my cancelation process is going?
I sent in the CANCEL Letter twice. and also emailed it
1 Letter to Coventry
1 Letter to local NTL Place
1 Email to a Customer Service guy

If you can have a look I can PM you my Account Number.