PDA

View Full Version : Setting up shared AOL broadband on NTL phone line

Schmiff
01-03-2005, 23:40
Hi all, bit of a newbie on the subject so bear with me...

NTL broadband has just been enabled in my area (NW London) and I want to share a 1mb connection (AOL broadband gold) on my PC and my brother's laptop in another room. The laptop has wireless capability so I plan to get a wireless router and use that, while my PC connects via ethernet. Apparently the router would plug into a separate cable modem - this is where my confusion lies. A cable modem is supposed to be supplied by AOL through an NTL engineer who would come and install it, but I have read that if you are also an NTL TV customer (which we have downstairs), the set top box for that would count as the modem. If this is the case would I be supplied with a separate modem or not, or is it even possible to have my own independant modem up here while the cable TV/telephone uses the same phone line? If I was forced to somehow use the set top box in this way I would not be able to connect my PC to it via ethernet as it would be too far away. Also the TV service we have is analogue rather than digital, does that make a difference?

Basically I would much rather have my network entirely separate from the cable TV but the stuff I've read about set top boxes being involved has confused me a lot :) Any advice?

Cheers,

Paul

scrotnig
02-03-2005, 00:21
If you buy AOL broadband via ntl's cable network, you will definitely get a modem, the set top box will not be used.

This service won't use your phone line in any way - you could have that disconnected and it wouldn't matter.

The fact you have only analogue TV doesn't matter, as long as you are in an ntl broadband-enabled area.

Schmiff
02-03-2005, 00:34
Excellent, that helps a lot - thanks! :)