PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about a MCDST.

Earl of Bronze
01-03-2005, 18:24
I've been thinking for the last couple of weeks about getting back to studying for a IT qualification. I started the Cisco Certified Network Associate course in late 2003, and had managed to finish the first two symesters of the course. Due to personal reasons I couldnt finish the course, but now almost 13 months on I'm of a mind to gat back to studying.

I've been browsing the Microsoft Learning site, and have been giving some thought to studying for the Microsoft Certified Desktop Support Technician certification. Wht this certification and not another? TBH, I need to start small and work upto bigger things.

So my question is. Has anyone on the site done this course, and do you have any advice for me ?

Thanks in advance.

EoB.

Neil
01-03-2005, 18:30
Do it. :tu:

It's a relatively new certification, & as such a worthwhile addition.

You need (from memory) to pass exams 70-271 & 70-272 to get this accreditation.

I have them both (along with 70-270) if you are interested. :)

greencreeper
01-03-2005, 18:32
Doing it now EOB. There are two courses and two exams. So far I've learnt little that I didn't know before, though I have clarified one or two things. The first course is about XP Pro in a networked environment - both workgroup and domain. The second course, which I've yet to get the book/folder for, is about the typical applications that run on XP Pro, including IE and Outlook (Express).

The people on my course (all 3 of them) are either learning more about XP Pro, without or without taking the exams (they're not compulsary), or are certifying existing knowledge, which is more what I'm doing.

One other point, if you look at the MCSA qualification specs, you'll see that the MCDST can be used in place of the elective, which is what I'm thinking of doing. So the MCDST can be seen as a step towards an MCSA.

Earl of Bronze
01-03-2005, 18:43
Thanks for the quick replies Neil and greencreeper.

One small problem I face is that the local (Belfast) Microsoft Partner doesnt covert the MCDST certification, so I'll need to travel for the classroom side of the course, and possibly the exams as well. So far the closest ''Partner'' seems to be in Livingstone in Scotland, but if anyone knows of a training partner in the northwest of England that offers the MADST I'd love to know about them. I have family living in the Preston area and could prolly blag a room of a week while I was in England for the classroom content of the course.

Neil
01-03-2005, 18:48
I have study material on CD for these exams.

Can you take an exam locally? If so, I'll send you the exams on a CD for you to study.

Earl of Bronze
01-03-2005, 18:55
I have study material on CD for these exams.

Can you take an exam locally? If so, I'll send you the exams on a CD for you to study.

I honestly dont think so Neil. I checked the local microsoft partners website and the MCDST isnt listed in their Certification section. Perhaps they have yet to add this ''new'' certification to the list of offered courses. I think I'll give them a ring tomorrow and find out from the horses mouth.

Oh, and thanks for the offer. I may take you up on the offer even if I cant do the certification locally. :)

Neil
01-03-2005, 19:16
Just PM me your address, & I'll get it posted to you. :)

Graham M
01-03-2005, 19:19
Im doing a MCP (Microsoft Certified Proffessional) in Server2003 as an additionality to my BTEC National Diploma for Systems Practitioners (IT Systems Support) Seems to be good and well thought up so far.

greencreeper
01-03-2005, 23:12
I'm studying with a local college - http://www.lct.ac.uk/newsite/new_business/network/index.htm

They've received funding from an organisation called "Yorkshire Forward" with a view to increasing IT skills in the area. The MCDST cost me £265 and the exams will be £88 each (big incentive to pass :D )

Forthcoming courses and prices are on the above site. Ignore the footnote about one course per person - it's wrong.

Earl of Bronze
02-03-2005, 00:10
I'm studying with a local college - http://www.lct.ac.uk/newsite/new_business/network/index.htm

They've received funding from an organisation called "Yorkshire Forward" with a view to increasing IT skills in the area. The MCDST cost me £265 and the exams will be £88 each (big incentive to pass :D )

Forthcoming courses and prices are on the above site. Ignore the footnote about one course per person - it's wrong.

Thanks for the linky mate, I'd green rep you but I havent been enough of a tart lately.

Millay
02-03-2005, 00:38
They have to be good, my plan is to do this course later on in the spring, mainly as im self taught (the last it qualification i did was in 98) and think this is a good way of clearing up my own personal education, I also hope it will be usefull for growing my business. In the long run I owuld like to get the company as a Microsoft Certified Partner. but i need to grow a little bit before that as it seems impossible to become more than a registered partner if you are self employed.

Its all expensive though :(

Earl of Bronze
15-03-2005, 14:50
Well, just got some bumpf throught the door from the NITLC about the MCDST certification. Their charge for this course is £2850 all in, is it just me or does this seem a bit steep?

greencreeper
15-03-2005, 18:45
Well, just got some bumpf throught the door from the NITLC about the MCDST certification. Their charge for this course is £2850 all in, is it just me or does this seem a bit steep?
:Yikes:

I know professional courses and training are pricey, but nearly £3000 does seem a lot to me :erm: