PDA

View Full Version : Oxford Probs

vigman
01-03-2005, 15:21
Hi

Group and NTL newbie here, but highly experienced IT pro !!!

Got the usual weekend call from 'friends'....."Hi, we've just had an NTL broadband connection, could you just pop over and see why it isn't working..?"

What a *&^% waste of space their install program is!!! Failed to find its registration/DHCP servers a zillion times, CD kept failing to read, it couldn't find the drivers for the USB connection so had to search the CD and install manually etc etc. Why didn't NTL leave it installed and *working* especially as they were existing dial-up customers!?

Anyway, finally left them running but since then they say that they have an error message saying they 'can't connect to server'.

I've looked at the status stats, but can any confirm/deny specific connectivity issues in the OX29 (Oxford) area over the last few days before I waste any more precious time??

Thanks

Vigman

Wakar
01-03-2005, 18:25
Hi Vigman

First of all :welcome: to the forums, hope u have a good and enjoyable stay. regarding your post check this out, it may help you out http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=7603

Im sure there are alot of people that will be willing to help you and others as they normally do.

Regards
Waks

vigman
03-03-2005, 14:01
Thanks for the info on the CD-less install. I've yet to revisit, but my friends have not had any internet connectivity through the NTL cable modem since I left it working after the installation last Saturday. (They say they can't get through to customer service?) Are there any known issues to look for after new installs [USB connection]?

Thanks

Vigman

mmm
03-03-2005, 21:12
Thanks for the info on the CD-less install. I've yet to revisit, but my friends have not had any internet connectivity through the NTL cable modem since I left it working after the installation last Saturday. (They say they can't get through to customer service?) Are there any known issues to look for after new installs [USB connection]?

Thanks

Vigman

Yes lots of problems with USB (ADSL users have these as well) the drivers have to create a virtual network card lots of conflicts are possible and significant CPU/ system resource overhead.

Suggest you persuade them to go the Ethernet route, its easy to add a router and after registration new PCs with XP (for example) really do just plug in and go.