PDA

View Full Version : NTL Dublin Ireland

Drapper
28-02-2005, 11:05
:)Hi from Dublin ! Just a query that you Brits might be able to help out on... I got NTL 1.5meg at home in Dec and the pings have got to the dogs in the last 1 month. Usually arounf 6pm - 11 pm. The trace rt has should a "traffic jam" back to the exchange.

The tech suport has suggeested that the excahnge needs new equipment to allow an increased number of users in my area, is this bull? or is there an other issue they might not be telling me?

Also, anyone got some good links to how the network actually works?

D in Dublin:dunce:

Neil
28-02-2005, 11:07
Do you have Broadband via a Cable Modem, or ADSL (via your phone line)?

:welcome: to the site BTW. :)

Drapper
28-02-2005, 11:08
Do you have Cable Boradband via a Cable Modem, or ADSL (via your phone line)?

:welcome: to the site BTW. :)

Coax Cable Modem :- )

:angel:

Neil
28-02-2005, 11:16
In that case there is no "exchange" as such I'm afraid. :rolleyes:

Drapper
28-02-2005, 11:18
In that case there is no "exchange" as such I'm afraid. :rolleyes:

~Sorry m8 had DSL before ;) NTL

"network hub" or whatever the use to send out the signal !

Do you know what they might be talking about m8?

D

Drapper
28-02-2005, 12:24
Anyone?

homealone
28-02-2005, 13:27
Anyone?

:LOL: after the result in the rugby you are expecting us to help :p::D

- actually, being serious, I think it is more the case that we don't have a 'feel' for how things are with NTL in Ireland, the last piece of news I remember was the 'overheating phones'.

Prior to that I seem to remember a news article on here promising investment

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/article/59/ntl-ireland-take-on-eircom

- but no idea how it is going???

Drapper
28-02-2005, 13:46
:LOL: after the result in the rugby you are expecting us to help :p::D

- actually, being serious, I think it is more the case that we don't have a 'feel' for how things are with NTL in Ireland, the last piece of news I remember was the 'overheating phones'.

Prior to that I seem to remember a news article on here promising investment

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/article/59/ntl-ireland-take-on-eircom

- but no idea how it is going???

thanks for that !! :-) btw how does the cable modem network work? is it like DSL?

btw NTL in DUblin its the same as UK, however the backhaul it throught London from Dublin, so Dublin is on the same network as all you guys !

homealone
28-02-2005, 14:03
thanks for that !! :-) btw how does the cable modem network work? is it like DSL?

btw NTL in DUblin its the same as UK, however the backhaul it throught London from Dublin, so Dublin is on the same network as all you guys !

wow, didn't realise it was all joined up, like that.

as for how it works, there are a couple of people on here who work for NTL & actually understand it ;)

- but afaik, the main difference is that DSL effectively connects you directly to the exchange over copper twisted pair, while cable is connected by multiplexed optical fibre as far as the big green cabinets, from there it is coax to the individual connections (the so-called HFC - Hybrid Fibre Coax network).

Drapper
28-02-2005, 14:07
wow, didn't realise it was all joined up, like that.

as for how it works, there are a couple of people on here who work for NTL & actually understand it ;)

- but afaik, the main difference is that DSL effectively connects you directly to the exchange over copper twisted pair, while cable is connected by multiplexed optical fibre as far as the big green cabinets, from there it is coax to the individual connections (the so-called HFC - Hybrid Fibre Coax network).

Kool, thanks for that I hope some more people from post some info ! doe it meean then when the bandwidth is glogged the pings are **** or is it something else?

homealone
28-02-2005, 14:22
Kool, thanks for that I hope some more people from post some info ! doe it meean then when the bandwidth is glogged the pings are **** or is it something else?

np - from looking at what others have said on here, the thing that stuffs most connections is where the upload link is saturated, the reasons for this vary, but include loads of people on the same 'channel' sharing p2p links and DIY cable splitting sending noise back to the rest of the network. As you said it is worse in the evenings, it is likely to be the sheer numbers using the network - especially if a lot of them are uploading. The only thing you can do is report it as a fault & hope enough people are similarly affected & call in, for NTL to take remedial action - good luck ;)

Drapper
28-02-2005, 15:12
I've been on to them for the past month and nothing done ! The keeping stating they need to instal new equipment as the signal drops in the area........ I wonder what that is and should it take a month !

Surely of the sell a product "Xbox" enabled and it cannot do what it says on the tin you should have a case against them? if they dont fix the "lagg" / "ping" ? Really anoyed with them !

Drapper
28-02-2005, 19:13
Anyone know what they are on about?

Tezcatlipoca
28-02-2005, 19:28
Perhaps they mean that the uBR is oversubscribed, & needs upgrading.

JohnHorb
28-02-2005, 19:28
~Sorry m8 had DSL before ;) NTL

"network hub" or whatever the use to send out the signal !

Do you know what they might be talking about m8?

D

Hopefully, someone more knowledgeable will be along in due course, but from other posts here, and assuming the Dublin setup is the same as here, I think the term is 'UBR congestion'. I stand to be corrected, but I think the 'UBR' (Universal Broadband Router?) is a card in the green cabinet which handles a certain number of subscribers. If there are too many active subscribers on a UBR, you get congestion, and NTL will, at some point, install another UBR and split the subscribers between them. It sounds like this is your problem, but I'm no expert!

Drapper
28-02-2005, 19:34
Hopefully, someone more knowledgeable will be along in due course, but from other posts here, and assuming the Dublin setup is the same as here, I think the term is 'UBR congestion'. I stand to be corrected, but I think the 'UBR' (Universal Broadband Router?) is a card in the green cabinet which handles a certain number of subscribers. If there are too many active subscribers on a UBR, you get congestion, and NTL will, at some point, install another UBR and split the subscribers between them. It sounds like this is your problem, but I'm no expert!

Thank you very much all infomation to hit them with ! this must be what they are telling me !! :-)

Drapper
28-02-2005, 21:34
Thank you very much all infomation to hit them with ! this must be what they are telling me !! :-)

:angel: ANy one got any other ideas why?

Tezcatlipoca
28-02-2005, 21:38

AFAIK it's not in the green cab, but apart from that, I think you've hit the nail on the head.

poolking
28-02-2005, 22:20
I believe this is what a UBR looks like:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/cable/ps2217/index.html

Drapper
01-03-2005, 09:43
Thanks a million !! I am expecting a call from them to-day to resolve the issue !

Drapper
03-03-2005, 13:58
Thanks a million !! I am expecting a call from them to-day to resolve the issue !

:Yikes: Still no action by NTL......