PDA

View Full Version : Digital Cameras

meld51
07-09-2003, 22:03
Hello,

Does anyone know if it is necessary to use a UV filter in front of a digital camera in the same way as you do in a film camera?

Tricky
07-09-2003, 22:06
Not required but the same as film cameras it will stop some glare but more importantly it will protect your lens.

meld51
07-09-2003, 22:47
Thanks Tricky!

The reason I mention it is that I just took a load of scenic shots which seem to be a bit washed out.

Oh well. Is there a website anywhere that discusses digital photography. Most information I see is mostly about after you capture the shot. I'm still a bit of a novice in the digital world and I find my camera to be a bit difficult at times.

Sipowicz
08-09-2003, 00:09
If your digicam has a filter thread (not many do!) then attach one by all means (just to protect the front element) Beware, some have filter threads but the lens moves beyond the filter (zooming in and out) and will foul on any attachment!

If you want a good website then try www.robgalbraith.com It is aimed at the pro end, but contains a lot of info on CF memory cards, and the forum has hints and tips on processing in photoshop and printing. It is worth a look!

Q. What camera do you have?

meld51
08-09-2003, 19:36
I have a NIKON Coolpix 995. I really like it. It is very versatile, but I am used to film cameras of course. I'm not really sure how to get the best out of it.

For instance, with film, when you change ISO, you also affect contrast, but I'm not sure how to treat the ISO setting on my NIKON. I mean I know when I need a 'fast' setting and when I need a 'slow' setting, but with film, there is more to it than that.

When I look at books about digital photography, they seem to feature a lot of Gee whizz stuff about what you can do in the PC, and no much about the process of obtaining the best image in the first place.

Anyway I will take a look at the site recommenfded above

Thanks

altis
08-09-2003, 20:12
Here's another good source of info on digital cameras:
http://www.steves-digicams.com/

I can't see anything on UV filters though.

Sipowicz
08-09-2003, 20:26
Originally posted by meld51
I have a NIKON Coolpix 995. I really like it.

A good choice! I have a Coolpix 885 which I really like, but I have taken the plunge and gone for a DSLR - Canon EOS10D - I am already an EOS user in 35mm. The difference between Film and digital, is getting smaller all the time.

I have some great shots from the 885, but I never liked the amount of "noise" that I got when using the flash or very low light conditions. Outdoor shots have been pretty good!

Happy Snapping!

Tricky
09-09-2003, 20:06
Originally posted by Sipowicz
A good choice! I have a Coolpix 885 which I really like, but I have taken the plunge and gone for a DSLR - Canon EOS10D - I am already an EOS user in 35mm. The difference between Film and digital, is getting smaller all the time.

I have some great shots from the 885, but I never liked the amount of "noise" that I got when using the flash or very low light conditions. Outdoor shots have been pretty good!

Happy Snapping!

Right inbetween I have a Coolpix 990 and a Canon G3 - The coolpix beats the canon hands down on macro shots and low light focus. Otherwise the canon is a winner

iadom
17-09-2003, 22:31
How would the "experts" amongst you rate this camera on price/performance.?
http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/SpecPage.html?nov-ccsp41 :dunce:

meld51
18-09-2003, 06:50
I notice that trhey can't spell 'Aspherical' on the front of this camera....hope that is not a measure of the rest of the quality.

I would not buy it without seeing it first.

Seems to have limited ISO range

Runs off AA batteries. They will not last very long. Though they are readily available. Really nowadays I think cameras should run off LiIon batts.

Be Careful

altis
18-09-2003, 09:54
I like AA cells. You can get a set of four 2100mAh NiMHs for about £6 - much cheaper than any replacement LIon battery. And you can use disposables if necessary. It uses Compact Flash cards too which are cheap and versatile.

BUT, it seems to be manufactured in Taiwan by J-Link (http://m1.is.net.tw/~jamestch/index-english.htm). There seems to be limited support. I think I would stick to an established camera maker. Have you looked at the Canon A70 - it's only a little more expensive?

Chris
18-09-2003, 10:09
I have to agree with Altis - AAs are far more versatile; rechargeables are cheap and if you get caught out you can just pop a set of disposable batteries in instead.

iadom
18-09-2003, 10:46
Thanks for that guys, I have a trusty Pentax ME Super 35mm SLR, over 20 years old now and still perfect. How do Pentax digital cameras rate with you.?

altis
18-09-2003, 11:18
Mrs A's got one of those too.

Have a wander round this site. There's loads of info - but you sometimes have to hunt for it. Look out for the pull-down menu buttons. They have some good tables of the main features.
http://www.steves-digicams.com/

I always try to bear in mind the total cost of ownership. How much are spare batteries? What expansion cards are available?

I took a long look at the expansion card market and plumped for Compact Flash. See this (http://www.nthellworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?postid=33989#post33989) post. Now, I wouldn't buy anything that didn't take AA batteries and have a Compact Flash socket. That's why I recommended the Canon. ;)

Edit
Oh, and don't be conned into getting more megapixels than you need. Follow the 'www' link below to see my efforts with a lowly 2.1 megapixel camera. Even the biggest pictures on those pages are only 1/4 of that resolution. Some of my photos are spoilt more by camera shake and poor focussing than by lack of resoulution. Mind you, I hardly ever make prints from them - so, I guess, it depends what you have in mind.

Salu
18-09-2003, 12:54

Happy Snapping!

Is the Canon EOS 10D actually out now or have you just "placed the order"?

Sipowicz
18-09-2003, 13:09
Originally posted by Salu

I have had mine since early July! The 10D was launched earlier in the year (March or May) Are you thinking of the 300D? that was only announced a couple of weeks ago? If so, that has only just started to ship in ther states (as the Digital Rebel!)

And if you are serious about your photography, and can stretch to the 10D, then go for it! I already had EOS film cameras, so I did not need to think about lenses. Body only will set you back around £1200-£1300. CF cards are, of course, extra.

The 300D uses the same sensor and DGIC processor (I beleive) all housed in plastic body (based on the EOS3000 35mm camera) and will set you back around £900 body only.

SMHarman
18-09-2003, 13:14

I thought it was out it is the 300 digital that is coming soon. May be wrong though.

10d is 6mp, semipro resolution at the mo, you should get good results on that.

Sipowicz
18-09-2003, 13:35
Originally posted by SMHarman

I do! :) :cool:

Chris
18-09-2003, 13:40
Originally posted by SMHarman
I thought it was out it is the 300 digital that is coming soon. May be wrong though.

six!! wow... mind you, I get great results from my Minolta Dimage F300 - a humble 5mp, and unusually for a compact, crammed with goodies like full manual mode, aperture priority, etc etc etc

Salu
18-09-2003, 15:48
I have had mine since early July! The 10D was launched earlier in the year (March or May) Are you thinking of the 300D? that was only announced a couple of weeks ago? If so, that has only just started to ship in ther states (as the Digital Rebel!)

And if you are serious about your photography, and can stretch to the 10D, then go for it! I already had EOS film cameras, so I did not need to think about lenses. Body only will set you back around £1200-£1300. CF cards are, of course, extra.

The 300D uses the same sensor and DGIC processor (I beleive) all housed in plastic body (based on the EOS3000 35mm camera) and will set you back around £900 body only.

Oops, yes I was. I do fancy a 300D though. Especially as it is lighter than the 10D...

Sipowicz
18-09-2003, 21:38
Oops, yes I was. I do fancy a 300D though. Especially as it is lighter than the 10D...

But not as capable! More flexibility with the 10D, but at the end of the day, its what you want to use it for that counts!!

;)