PDA

View Full Version : Modem to Router

stevo76
27-02-2005, 02:32
Hi,

I'm sorry if this in in the wrong forum and i know its not a network forum.:erm:

I have a Ntl:home 351000 cable modem, I have been using this with the usb connection, but now need to connect 2 maybe 3 computers together, to use the internet. So I need to use the Ethernet connection. I have purchased a wireless router (Ovislink Air live).

But I seem to be having trouble accessing the internet from either computer.

Modem is connected via router using cat5 cable that came with the modem.
Computer 1 (desktop pc) using a msi usb wireless adapter.
Computer 2 (Laptop) Connected direct to the router using cat5 cable that came with the router

I can access each computer with no problem, but no internet.

so I thought I would try the modem directly plugged into the laptop, and apart from the ethernet socket on the modem being a bit dodgy, it worked stright away.

Does anyone know why I cant access the modem through the router. The internet light on the router is flashing away as it should be, and when the ethernet socket isnt be dodgy the ENET light is flashing away.

When I go into the settings for the router, it says the modem is active and has an IP address.

This is the first time I've setup a network, and are probably just missing something.

Thanks

Stevo

Chris W
27-02-2005, 07:36
:welcome:

what ip is the router getting? is it in the range 169.254.xxx.xxx? If not, what is it?

Make sure you are rebooting the modem before connecting to the router.

Raistlin
27-02-2005, 09:39
Sounds like you need to reboot the modem.

Turn everything off, now turn the modem back on and wait for it to settle.
Now turn the router on and wait a bit.
Now turn the PCs on one at a time.

That should sort it out.

Sorry, where are my manners?

:welcome: BTW :D

stevo76
01-03-2005, 17:27
Hi,

I fixed the problem, it was the dodgy ethernet socket on the modem, two of the pins inside the socket where bent too far down, I used a needle and bent them back into place. Works like a treat now.

Thanks for your help