PDA

View Full Version : cable modem randomly disconnecting

ikthius
25-02-2005, 10:49
hey guys

My modem keeps disconnecting itself, nothing wrong my computers.

I have a ntl cable modem ntl home 120, usb cable modem 35100 found under modem

lights keep going off are rdy sync d/s

ther taskbar always says disconnection and then reconnect, but sometimes can't get internet.

I have rebooted the computer and the modem for up to 30 mins, but no effect.

this is the 4th time this month this is happening.

what is wrong with my modem.

I have windows xp home sp2

I tried to contact customer services but keep getting cut off.

can somone help.

ik

bunty
25-02-2005, 11:13
Is your connection still down??

Did you have any sort of power outage last night or this morning in your area??

Bunty.

BBKing
25-02-2005, 11:14
Glasgow area had a big outage earlier today.

ikthius
25-02-2005, 11:15
it is ok just now, but fingers crossed!

but no outage in the area at all

ik

bunty
25-02-2005, 11:19
I only assumed because of the weather.

If everyone tried to reconnect at the same time............

Bunty

ikthius
25-02-2005, 11:22
that makes no sense,

why is my cable modem losing all lights, i dont think it is anything to do with the weather!

otherwise it is magic weather.

homealone
25-02-2005, 11:25
I only assumed because of the weather.

If everyone tried to reconnect at the same time............

Bunty

:welcome: to the forum, bunty :)

Losing synch & rdy lights usually indicates an external fault, so your diagnosis, coupled with BBKing's comment, sounds about right :tu:

bunty
25-02-2005, 11:28
Thanks, I've lurked long enough..

I only assumed weather as in, bad weather sometimes causes power loss, power loss means everyone tries to reconnect at the same time, this leads to bad things (for a short time)

Bunty

ikthius
25-02-2005, 11:43
oh i see where you are coming from, sorry.

ik

ABULL
25-02-2005, 12:43
Hi all

Someone with the same problem as me. I am down in Northampton. I have the motorolla surfboard sb4100 modem and mine is doing the same, randomly disconnecting.

All lights are on, surfing the net just fine and then the receive light starts to flash, the online light goes off, send light goes off and no more internet connection. Sometimes comes back online by itself a minute later other times I have to reboot the modem. Spoke to Ntl three times over the weekend and once online each time "no fault with your connection sir", they are now coming out next wed to have a look.

My problems started last thursday. It even looses connection when the pc is turned off.

:(

penfolder
25-02-2005, 13:14
I am in Northampton too, but after a couple of days absence of email and webmail via ntl (used forwardng to gmail and have left on) no problems today. solid connection using SB4100 and NIC over here in Kingsthorpe.

M

ABULL
25-02-2005, 14:42
Hi penfold, thanks for the info. I checked my connection at lunch and have left the pc on this afternoon downloading, so I hope all's ok when I get home.

Thanks again mate

AB

ikthius
25-02-2005, 15:23
Hi all

All lights are on, surfing the net just fine and then the receive light starts to flash, the online light goes off, send light goes off and no more internet connection. Sometimes comes back online by itself a minute later other times I have to reboot the modem. Spoke to Ntl three times over the weekend and once online each time "no fault with your connection sir", they are now coming out next wed to have a look.

It even looses connection when the pc is turned off.

:(

my problem exactly, even if the comp is not on, it can still loose connection.
But I have been lucky to keep the connection this long, I don't want to tempt fate.

ik

Stephen
25-02-2005, 21:35
my problem exactly, even if the comp is not on, it can still loose connection.
But I have been lucky to keep the connection this long, I don't want to tempt fate.

ik

I am also in Glasgow and my Modem has been dropping the connection every so often as well even when PC is off, as I have to reset the router to get it back.

There was a big outage this morning affecting a large part of Glasgow. My modem was still off when I left the house at 11am. Have not been home yet but hope it is back on.