PDA

View Full Version : BB and telephone service

Delnet
07-09-2003, 12:12
Can anyone tell me if I can have my 1MB BB for 35 quid and have my PSTN from BT or do I have to have both from NTL

I ask this cos NTL want to charge 50 quid to re-connect my 2nd PSTN line! :mad:

Thanks

:wavey:

Defiant
07-09-2003, 12:19
You can have NTL BB on its own. They only force you to have their phoneline if you take up their TV

Delnet
07-09-2003, 12:22
Many thanks

I tell them what they can do with there phone line

Stephen Robb
07-09-2003, 13:31
Originally posted by Defiant
You can have NTL BB on its own. They only force you to have their phoneline if you take up their TV

I wouldn't say they force you, it's part of the package when you have Digital TV so whether you use that phoneline or not, is entirely up to you. :D

Sky requires you to have a telephone line, so you can keep pressing that 'red button' and make themselves lots of money! :eek:

Defiant
07-09-2003, 14:38
Well my fathers lucky then because he is using Sky in a room without a phoneline

KingPhoenix
07-09-2003, 14:57
Originally posted by Defiant
Well my fathers lucky then because he is using Sky in a room without a phoneline

If he's out of the 12month contract, then thats not a problem, if he is within the 12month contract, and Sky send the checking signal (makes the box ring home) then he could be liable to paying full whack for the box and dish etc..... and any other deals that he got

Defiant
07-09-2003, 15:03
He had gone past his 12 month contract but then again so had I with NTL or nynex as it was when I signed up !

XFS03
07-09-2003, 17:07
Originally posted by Stephen Robb
I wouldn't say they force you, it's part of the package when you have Digital TV so whether you use that phoneline or not, is entirely up to you. :D...
...but you have to pay £9.50 per month for the phone service, whether you want it or not. That's a lot to spend on something you may not want to use. :mad:

MikeyB
07-09-2003, 17:15
Sky requires you to have a telephone line, so you can keep pressing that 'red button' and make themselves lots of money! :eek:

Not true.

Lord Nikon
07-09-2003, 17:47
Originally posted by XFS03
...but you have to pay £9.50 per month for the phone service, whether you want it or not. That's a lot to spend on something you may not want to use. :mad:

Actually line rental for the phone when you have a digital TV subscription at any level, is FREE if I remember correctly

Graham F
07-09-2003, 18:33
Originally posted by Lord Nikon
Actually line rental for the phone when you have a digital TV subscription at any level, is FREE if I remember correctly

I think you will find that the price is included in the cost of any digital package, slight difference ;)

XFS03
07-09-2003, 20:15
If you follow the links on ntl's site http://www.ntlworld.com for ordering their TV you will be taken to the telephone page first. The cheapest phone option is their 3-2-1 service @ £9.50. You can then choose your TV service, the cheapest being the base pack @ £8.50. So over half of your base pack subscription goes to the phone service which you must have.

Stephen Robb
13-09-2003, 04:50

I don't see that as it's part of the Digital package. In my opinion what's the point paying line rental to another at about a tenner a month when it's free with the TV!

etccarmageddon
13-09-2003, 10:41
I don't see that as it's part of the Digital package. In my opinion what's the point paying line rental to another at about a tenner a month when it's free with the TV!

it's not free it's just included in the price and some people call it 'free'!

if you look at the NTL site it quotes the price for TV service and below it says 'including your line rental'.

and the reason a lot of people dont want their phone from NTL is because it doesnt do caller display.

etccarmageddon
13-09-2003, 10:43
If you follow the links on ntl's site http://www.ntlworld.com for ordering their TV you will be taken to the telephone page first. The cheapest phone option is their 3-2-1 service @ £9.50. You can then choose your TV service, the cheapest being the base pack @ £8.50. So over half of your base pack subscription goes to the phone service which you must have.

I think you mean £18.00 not £8.50 for the base pack.

Stephen Robb
13-09-2003, 15:14
Originally posted by MikeyB
Not true.

I'm afraid you are wrong!

Taken from FAQ on Sky.com
What do I need a Phone Jack for? Will SKY install a new phone line?

When SKY Digital is installed, a SKY technician taps into your existing phone line and installs a phone jack. This connection allows our customers to enjoy present and future services such as Pay Per View events. Cost: Included in installation charge.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

allanprg
13-09-2003, 19:06
The base pack is £18. If you have the phone line as well it's still £18. If you have the phone line but no base pack then you pay 9-50 for the line.:wavey: :wavey:

Stephen Robb
13-09-2003, 23:20
Originally posted by allanprg
The base pack is £18. If you have the phone line as well it's still £18. If you have the phone line but no base pack then you pay 9-50 for the line.:wavey: :wavey:

Quite right, got it in one! :wavey: :wavey:

Defiant
14-09-2003, 00:05
So perhaps the plebs at NTL could offer a "standalone" TV package even ifs its after a 12 month contract.

Theirs me thinking their in debt and they cannot even offer a customer what they wont. They'd prefer to loose phoneline and tv from him instead of just one!

XFS03
15-09-2003, 02:58
Originally posted by etccarmageddon
I think you mean £18.00 not £8.50 for the base pack.
Like I said in the post you quoted, the total price for the package is £18, but £9.50 of that is for the cheapest telephone service (3-2-1) and £8.50 is for the base pack TV service.

Peter_Stanley
15-09-2003, 04:11
Agreed, the phone is NOT free.
I don't want the NTL phone, but have to take it to get the DTV at a total cost of £28.00 a month. I originally got the whole package because I had to take TV/phone to get BB.
I'm going to switch to Sky next month and drop the phone; the equivalent Sky family package costs £18.50 a month.
If NTL allowed customers a choice in what services they take, they wouldn't lose my DTV custom...

etccarmageddon
15-09-2003, 09:41
Like I said in the post you quoted, the total price for the package is £18, but £9.50 of that is for the cheapest telephone service (3-2-1) and £8.50 is for the base pack TV service.

how bizarre - that's not the price page that comes up when I go to ntl.co.uk!

mine comes up as £18 for base pack and £28 for family.

XFS03
15-09-2003, 10:46
Originally posted by etccarmageddon
how bizarre - that's not the price page that comes up when I go to ntl.co.uk!

mine comes up as £18 for base pack and £28 for family.
That's the first page you come to when clicking on the link from NTL's home page. Notice that it says "Including your line rental".
If you carry on further you will come to the page that I attached after it has routed you through the telephone page where you have to chose a phone service before you can go any further.

Notice the basket in the top right corner already shows £9.50, that's for the 3-2-1 phone service.

etccarmageddon
15-09-2003, 12:32
oh my GOD!!! IT ALLOWED ME TO SKIP SELECTING A PHONE SERVICE!!!!

SHOCKING!!!! I thought we had to have phone with the TV!!!! what's going on!

oh.... it adds it when I check out if I havent selected it.... what a con!

ian@huth
15-09-2003, 18:04

Sky only require you to have the Digibox connected to a phoneline during the first year of your contract and only then if you have chosen a subsidised installation.