PDA

View Full Version : If you cancelled NTL would you ever have NTL again

th'engineer
07-09-2003, 09:17
An interesting question someone asked me the other day.

If you cancelled NTL would you ever have NTL again, my answer was not if they where the last supplier in the world to start off with.

Then thought suppose it would be possible if they had improved.

So thinking on this thought i would posta little poll on here to here the comments of fellow customers.

And staff views on the subject

Russ
07-09-2003, 10:03
I suppose it would depend on why I'd cancelled them in the first place really.

th'engineer
07-09-2003, 10:14
few scenarios then:

incorrect billing
poor service
poor customer relations

moving house

Florence
07-09-2003, 11:59
Would never go back to BT and waiting it see if power internet is rolled out then I will move to them and see if they are better.

Defiant
07-09-2003, 12:09
TV AKA (Phoneline) already canceled. I may get their tv if I was able to have it on its own. At the minute their just idiots

Stephen Robb
07-09-2003, 12:13
Originally posted by th'engineer
few scenarios then:

incorrect billing
poor service
poor customer relations

moving house

Now when you say this, it's obvious there is a hell of a difference between areas and offices etc.

As I can only speak for the Reading area, my own personal experiences with them are on the whole are very good. Yes I have had the odd hiccup in the system, but it always has been dealt fairly quickly and usually in my favour.

When I went on in '95 it was Telecentral then. The biggest bug I had was after a year your deposit was refunded with interest. They lost mine for six months, but to be fair, they did give me 6 months back interest at full rate as well as my deposit with the normal yearly rate.

As regards your scenarios and I'm going back from '95 -

Billing - about four cockups - results - 2 x 1 month free line rental, £25 knocked off phone bill and 1 month free TV!

Poor service - can't really say that I have. Equipment failure has usually been sorted out in 48 hours!

Poor Customer relations - I assume you mean CS - can't really say that I have as I haven't phoned that much to form an opinion.
Ringing them, yes, have had to hang on a few times (but I suppose the time of day has to be taken into account) but as I phone on a free phone number, it doesn't bother me to that extent. When I do get through, it's dealt with quickly, and what they say they will do gets done!

Moving - have been here since '95 so never have had that experience to look forward to!!!

Would I return to ntl:? Don't think I would ever leave in the first place. My experience with BT down the years - rip off merchants. Remember peak calls, the cost of getting put on the phone and how long it took to get put on. Best thing that ever happend in this Country was the breaking of their monopoly!

If it wasn't for cable I probably wouldn't bother with Sky, so I can't really comment, but I find the cost between the two set ups is not that much in comparsion, considering ntl: buys or rents (or whatever they do) the channels from Sky!

Russ
07-09-2003, 13:02
When I lived in Oxford in 2000, NTL were terrible - I know it's easy to generalise and overlook the times when you get good service but I can honestly say the only time I was satisfied with NTL was the day they installed. Each time I called to request something it would be a case of "We're too busy, give me your number and we'll call you back" which of course never happen on the 3 occasions I called. For the 6 months I was with them, never once was the 'Error 1043' resolved that I was getting when I tried the interactive tv. The engineers would come out but their diagnosis would always be different to what Customer Services would say, it really was a case of the left hand not knowing what the right hand was doing.

And don't get me started on the billing issues!! :grind:

But when I returned to South Wales I took up the services as I just started work for Tech Support and I can honestly say I've never really had any major complaints about them. Yes there's been the odd BS muppet (who I then reported thanks to nthw.com :)) but the VAST majority of tech support staff and CS people have been great, so it certainly appears to be a regional thing.

I can't see myself leaving NTL soon but if I did, I'm sure I'd be willing to give them another chance :)

dr wadd
07-09-2003, 19:46
I would have to agree with Shabba. The service itself is generally OK (the broadband could be better) but in all my years of using NTL I`ve only encountered a couple of members of NTL staff that have demonstrated even the barest modicum of competency, and this isn`t limited to the CS staff. In many respects the upper management seem to be worse, which is a pity for NTL as a problem I have with them that could have been dealt entirely between myself and the company is now going to be referred to the relevant regulatory body.

If I had the option of leaving NTL I would certainly never come back. The simple fact is that there is no BT line coming into my property, so to switch from NTL to a different provider is going to cost me more than I realistically want to spend at the moment.

Undisputedtruth
08-09-2003, 00:15
The difference between BT and NTL customer services is huge. The CEO of BT, Ben Verwaayen is very keen on improving customer services. From my own experiences I'm very happy in dealing with BT customer services. They are so professional. They even refused to sl@g off NTL even though they already know they are bad. My only gripe with them is their over zealous use of customer surveys satisfactions. If BT were offering cable I would say goodbye to NTL forever.

NTL does not deserve my business. Their reluctance to give out substancial information and their willingness to spin at any opportune moment has been noted. Their customer services lying to me over the last three years has made a deep impression on me.

Now, most of my business is with BT and I'm already saving time and money. You cannot put an high enough value on time. No more waiting on the phone for at least 30 minutes to speak to NTL.

Here's a link which shows how serious BT treats customer services http://www.silicon.com/analysis/500015/1/1033573.html

Escapee
08-09-2003, 07:34
I am a very stubborn person, if I decide not to use a supplier through bad service then that is the end. I have done this with shops and one high street shop provided poor service to me over 20 years ago and I have never bought anything from there since.

I rarely complain but just take my custom elsewhere.

Gogogo
08-09-2003, 13:30
Cancelled Digital TV for NTL's failure to provide interactive TV & BB in this area, whilst keeping the phone service in the meantime until we move. Will review the situation at new address but in the meantime happy with Freeview which does provide some basic and good interactive TV.

:)

albone
08-09-2003, 19:36
we had problems with their internet years ago and were forever onto ts for help, sometimes into the wee hours and I'l give them their due they did try and help, but in the end we both ended up saying ta ta. as they couldn't give us a stable connection. So it was with trepidation that we ended up on bb with them, and (touch wood) it hasn't been a bad ride thus far! So yes they do improve and yes I would probably be one of those who would say if they improved futher yes if that sanario happened I would go back!:D

Undisputedtruth
08-09-2003, 21:11
Originally posted by Escapee
I am a very stubborn person, if I decide not to use a supplier through bad service then that is the end. I have done this with shops and one high street shop provided poor service to me over 20 years ago and I have never bought anything from there since.

I rarely complain but just take my custom elsewhere.

I tend to stay away from retailers that gives out misleading deals. I refuse to buy anything from Dixons, Currys or PCWORLD in the last 10 years. I remember a few years ago, their sales staff would be pushy in selling extended warranties. I was wise enough to know, how poor value those warranties were and I have saved a small fortune in choosing not to buy them. Not only that, their staff lacked product knowledge. I can wholly recommend John Lewis as a retailer. Their staff have excellent product knowledge and are always polite and helpful. I have bought my last two TV sets with free 5 years extended warranty and free delivery from John Lewis. I also know Dixons or Currys were unable to offer TV sets at lower prices than John Lewis.

Escapee
08-09-2003, 21:22
UDT saidI refuse to buy anything from Dixons, Currys or PCWORLD

I had my big problems with Dixons about 20 years ago and Comets about 15 years ago. I have not bought anything from them since no matter how cheaper they are than another shop down the road.

I had a problem with an item from Currys about 10 years ago, it was 9 months into the guarantee period and because the model was no longer for sale they gave me a full cash refund!
I was suprised because that was their prompt offer and there was no asking on my part, I turned around and added the extra money to buy a better model on the spot.

I don't know what they are like for problems these days though.

Undisputedtruth
08-09-2003, 21:38
Originally posted by Escapee
UDT said

I had my big problems with Dixons about 20 years ago and Comets about 15 years ago. I have not bought anything from them since no matter how cheaper they are than another shop down the road.

I had a problem with an item from Currys about 10 years ago, it was 9 months into the guarantee period and because the model was no longer for sale they gave me a full cash refund!
I was suprised because that was their prompt offer and there was no asking on my part, I turned around and added the extra money to buy a better model on the spot.

I don't know what they are like for problems these days though.

Dixons, Currys, PCWORLD and the Link are all part of the DSG group.

dr wadd
08-09-2003, 22:30
All I can say is thank the lord that Powerhouse have gone under. They make the Dixon's group look like saints. I had a problem with convergence on a widescreen television that I bought from them, and the "engineer" that they sent round attempted to blame it on the rain on the *outside* walls of my house affecting the local magnetic fields and thus the picture. I had to escalate it all the way up to the head office who eventually conceded that I knew more about television engineering than the engineers they had sent round (and I`m *not* a television engineer). Needless to say I never bought a single item from them again.