PDA

View Full Version : Time to SORT the network ntl

Florence
23-02-2005, 01:04
Well tonight NTL are crap

I am dropping the internet for a few secs sometimes mins but to drop the internet 11 times since 19.30...

Downstream Receive Power Level : 8.92 dBmv
Downstream SNR : 33.63 dB
Upstream Transmit Power Level : 43.00 dBmv
Taken at 22.00 after three disconnections
Another 3 disconnections 22.50

Downstream Receive Power Level : 8.81 dBmv
Downstream SNR : 33.91 dB
another 3 disconnections 23.20

Downstream Receive Power Level : 8.83 dBmv
Downstream SNR : 33.68 dB
23.56 another 3 disconnections

Downstream Receive Power Level : 8.98 dBmv
Downstream SNR : 33.03 dB
Another 1 disconnection 23.59

Downstream Receive Power Level : 8.90 dBmv
Downstream SNR : 33.57 dB
another 1 disconnection 00.01

Downstream Receive Power Level : 9.02 dBmv
Downstream SNR : 33.74 dB
another disconnection

I would like an internet connection that is reliable not one thats on the verge of falling apart.

Today my son said he was getting pings of 700+ to the server he uses all the time with his clan. This server was always 50 or below unless I was downloading or listening to a radio stream when his max was 200.

I can't see NTL surviving any upgrades like BT and Telewest with the network in such a neglected state. :Yikes:

purenuman
23-02-2005, 01:22
Today he has pings of 700+ but normally it's "ALWAYS" 50 or below. How does this equate to the network in a neglected state?? To me (and it's what you said) it's normally fine..........

Sounds like there may be a few problems today......... I'm sure they will sort it. :D

Personally since getting NTL BB I have never had such a rock steady reliable internet connection. :tu:

I find it hard to believe things are as bad as you make them out to be if everybody I know that uses NTL BB have no issues with it......... and I know quite a few.....

Florence
23-02-2005, 01:29
Today he has pings of 700+ but normally it's "ALWAYS" 50 or below. How does this equate to the network in a neglected state?? To me (and it's what you said) it's normally fine..........

Sounds like there may be a few problems today......... I'm sure they will sort it. :D

Personally since getting NTL BB I have never had such a rock steady reliable internet connection. :tu:

I find it hard to believe things are as bad as you make them out to be if everybody I know that uses NTL BB have no issues with it......... and I know quite a few.....

I have been with NTL since july 2000 normally the service was rock solid recently as in the last few months its been like this then fine for a while than back to yoyoing on and off the net again dsisconnected while tyoing this reply.

I have spoken to Igni and Profpete will say what my connection is like tonight as he has been in the chatroom that I am moderating. When I am online.

I don't lie !!!!!

ProfPete
23-02-2005, 01:32
Certainly has been timing out something croning tonight. Igni did mention something to do with fluctuating power levels.

purenuman
23-02-2005, 02:10
I don't lie !!!!!

I didn't imply you did or do..... :confused:

If you think I did then sorry!

I was simply saying that you having problems tonite (and tonite is all you mention in your thread) does not mean the whole network is ****** :(

hairy_mick
23-02-2005, 08:22
that power level seams very high i take it they're positive and not negative kits

Florence
23-02-2005, 09:04
that power level seams very high i take it they're positive and not negative kits

positive.

and before you ask no I am not calling India I did last time this happened and they just said the modem had died with no tests what so ever.

this morning the levels are

Downstream Receive Power Level : 7.63 dBmv
Downstream SNR : 32.38 dB

BBKing
23-02-2005, 09:39
You're only seeing one end of the connection remember. I can see both. NTL techs can only see one end, too, unless they use my software ;)

I've not got your current MAC, incidentally - the last modem I have for you hasn't been since since October!

Ignition
23-02-2005, 10:17
*passes Kits an 8dB forward path attenuator.

Same suggestion as when you asked me about it a few weeks ago and for the same reasons, network adjustments, more likely actually network being fixed has pushed your power a bit high.

I'm wondering if you've had a power problem in the past on the low side and been moved to a lower attenuation tap to cure this, then the whole thing has been resolved by an amp replacement or tuning.

Anyway that aside the easiest way to resolve this is to just stick an attenuator on your modem. Interesting to note no DTV issues at all (assuming you have DTV?) I'd expect to see pixellation and other issues on the DTV well before power level on the cable modem causes disconnection.

Neil
23-02-2005, 10:21

Not just tonight.....:angel:

Sorry-couldn't resist..... :disturbd:

Paul
23-02-2005, 11:04
Not just tonight.....:angel:

Sorry-couldn't resist..... :disturbd:Behave :nono:

And how does one person having a power issue make the whole network at fault - poor title which I may adjust.

purenuman
23-02-2005, 14:45
Behave :nono:

And how does one person having a power issue make the whole network at fault........

See :D :angel:

Ignition
23-02-2005, 18:19
Certainly has been timing out something croning tonight. Igni did mention something to do with fluctuating power levels.

Power fluctuation is bad, only problem is I don't see any fluctuation to speak of in the readings above, nor can I understand why drops of a 'few seconds' would be happening if it were that bad.

If the network were 'falling apart' I'd expect to see slow performance as well as drops, and those drops to last longer as modem loses synch outright rather than a brief connection stall.

Although no mention has been made of modem losing synch it's just been 'assumed' to be the case.

1.5 - 2dB difference between night and day is perfectly normal and miles within variation, the DOCIS specs allow for a much greater variation than this due to thermal effects on coax and amps.

DOCSIS specs allow for power level reaching modems to vary between + and - 15dB.

Disconnections aren't necessarily the fault of poor network maintenance. Someone stealing cable in your area and doing it badly will break your service quicker and more effectively.

Cerberus
23-02-2005, 18:37
Can anyone tell me why I cant access my NTL ftp? I need to upload some web pages asap. Worked fine yesterday but it isnt working now. My connection keeps getting timed out. I am using smart ftp. Is this something to do with the dodgy ntl network?

Any help greatfuly appreciated. Sorry if its a little off topic.:dunce:

-EDIT-
I cant even access the NTL world homepage > 404 error :disturbd:

jtwn
23-02-2005, 19:01
http://www.ntl-isp.ntl.com/ServiceStatus/

setch
23-02-2005, 19:07
[QUOTE=Ignition]

If the network were 'falling apart' I'd expect to see slow performance as well as drops, and those drops to last longer as modem loses synch outright rather than a brief connection stall.

QUOTE]

Harlow is falling apart then?

Setch

Cerberus
23-02-2005, 19:24
Thanks very much, I forgot about that:dunce: Bit slow today, got too much snow in meh ears;)

Tuftus
23-02-2005, 20:09
I take it that the email servers are borked again?

Unable to receive ANY emails...

:(

poolking
23-02-2005, 20:21
Well with more and more people at NTL that actually know what they are doing getting the chop things can only go downhill from here.

Tuftus read the server status page its been ongoing for a couple of days now, link is at the bottom of the page.

zaax
23-02-2005, 20:32
I take it that the email servers are borked again?

Unable to receive ANY emails...

:(
I gave up on NTL's email and news service years ago

Tuftus
23-02-2005, 20:46
I gave up on NTL's email and news service years ago

/rant ON

For the love of god!!!!

Even "lesser" ISP's managed to get at least the email right.... What the hell is the issue?

I have never known an ISP with SUCH a shoddy email service.

My 2p

/rant OFF

Ignition
23-02-2005, 20:54
Harlow is falling apart then?
Setch

Wouldn't surprise.

Chrysalis
23-02-2005, 22:34
defenition of faulty network?

core network failing or....

many poor performing ubr's how many? only ntl know
slow and unreliable email server's
unreliable proxy server's
and today ntl webserver down

I think the topic is justified.

MetaWraith
23-02-2005, 22:58
I think some poor over worked service tech was probably miffed and over indulged in the "percussive maintenance" ie whacked the crap out of some poor defenseless, unresisting box of electronics. :disturbd:

Florence
23-02-2005, 23:07
You're only seeing one end of the connection remember. I can see both. NTL techs can only see one end, too, unless they use my software ;)

I've not got your current MAC, incidentally - the last modem I have for you hasn't been since since October!

Thanks BBKing PM sent with the mac number.

*passes Kits an 8dB forward path attenuator.

Same suggestion as when you asked me about it a few weeks ago and for the same reasons, network adjustments, more likely actually network being fixed has pushed your power a bit high.

I'm wondering if you've had a power problem in the past on the low side and been moved to a lower attenuation tap to cure this, then the whole thing has been resolved by an amp replacement or tuning.

Anyway that aside the easiest way to resolve this is to just stick an attenuator on your modem. Interesting to note no DTV issues at all (assuming you have DTV?) I'd expect to see pixellation and other issues on the DTV well before power level on the cable modem causes disconnection.

Thanks Igni I havent got a 8dB forward path attenuator it was remnoved years ago

:confused: DTV I have a SACM no DTV I use shhhh :erm: sky

Tonight has been much better none since 4.30pm

Downstream Receive Power Level : 7.61 dBmv
Downstream SNR : 32.83 dB

Ignition
23-02-2005, 23:28
defenition of faulty network?

core network failing or....

many poor performing ubr's how many? only ntl know
slow and unreliable email server's
unreliable proxy server's
and today ntl webserver down

I think the topic is justified.

Chrysalis, firstly a 's is applied to a word only to describe possession, IE this John's uBR sucks ass, and an extra s is only applied where the existing word doesn't end in an s. OR as a contraction of 'it is' - it's, and other contractions of 'xx is'

Pluralising a word doesn't require an apostrophe in front of the s.

Sorry to those not interested in that stuff, just reading crap punctuation and grammar does eventually get boring and is a testament to the **** poor standards of our schooling.

Poor performing uBRs, none, poor performing up/downstreams very few, yours is a huge exception requiring costly upgrades due to the **** poor quality of the original build.

Unreliable proxy servers, think most would say these are far far less common than they used to be and 99.x% of the time are now fine.

The webserver, how often has it been down exactly?

Email servers - have these not dramatically improved, recent events being an exception to this?

Core network - hardly falling apart, considerably less than 30% utilised, massively resilient using quality hardware, a superior network to BT's Colossus, not exactly a hunk of junk?

Thanks Igni I havent got a 8dB forward path attenuator it was remnoved years ago

Might be worth finding it, quite plausible that the network has been fixed and tuned and that's why you need it back! I was concerned at your power levels going lower at one point however the reason for that (which I'm not going into as it involves composite second order distortion and more predominately composite triple beats) has been resolved, as evidenced by your SNR increasing with increased power levels.

ian@huth
23-02-2005, 23:36
Yes, I have noticed that the spelling and grammar of members is getting worse. A fair few of the new posters must have all gone to the same school as they suffer from the same mistakes in both areas. A few of the more long standing members must also have gone to the same school which must have a different dictionary to the rest of us. Maybe Incognitas should ask for a transfer there to whip them into shape. :) :)

Chrysalis
23-02-2005, 23:42
O_o sorry for the bad grammar :)

Florence
23-02-2005, 23:51
Might be worth finding it, quite plausible that the network has been fixed and tuned and that's why you need it back! I was concerned at your power levels going lower at one point however the reason for that (which I'm not going into as it involves composite second order distortion and more predominately composite triple beats) has been resolved, as evidenced by your SNR increasing with increased power levels.

Can't find it Igni it was taken away by NTL engineer.

Keytops
23-02-2005, 23:52
....using quality hardware,

Seems a shame nobody knows how to configure it correctly then :sleep:

purenuman
24-02-2005, 00:05
Yes, I have noticed that the spelling and grammar of members is getting worse.

aNd wHo wud yeR say is tHe worse-er-est :D

BBKing
24-02-2005, 00:08
A fair few of the new posters must have all gone to the same school as they suffer from the same mistakes in both areas.

That's been true on the net since about 1994 - the common spelling of 'weird' as 'wierd' dates from then and is entirely a net phenomenon - chat/MSN etc. is the place people learn spelling and grammar these days, as it's the only text-based medium people are exposed to.

In the words of a German friend of a my grandfather, to his primary school class - 'Don't you know the difference between a genitive and a plural?'.

Anyway, back on topic. Kits' modem has rather good statistics, online more than 99.5% of the time, SNR fine both directions, power levels spot on upstream, slightly high downstream. Need to look at it again, I need a few sample modems for some work I'm doing, so that'll be a useful one.

Harlow - yes, heard a lot about that area. Not the best.

Ignition
24-02-2005, 00:30
Seems a shame nobody knows how to configure it correctly then :sleep:

Thanks, although I'd like to think that my half a decade working with this stuff would mean something as would the 20+ years some in ntl have.

Perhaps we could hire you and you could show us all how it should be done?

Bill C
24-02-2005, 00:53
Thanks, although I'd like to think that my half a decade working with this stuff would mean something as would the 20+ years some in ntl have.

Perhaps we could hire you and you could show us all how it should be done?

Its about right . Out they come with a quick dig then run away. Nothing constructive. IQ as low as a snakes belly in a wagon rut :) :LOL:

Paul
24-02-2005, 01:04
Now now :nono: let's all play nice, no insulting each other please. :)

purenuman
24-02-2005, 02:37
Now now :nono: let's all play nice, no insulting each other please. :)

Yeah come on you lot!! Do as pot belly big nose says :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

............ Sorry :blush:

Stuartbe
24-02-2005, 03:06
Well !

For the last year I have been in heaven with my Nildram 2mb connection. Everything works properly, The email ALLWAYS works 24x7 365 ! No dodgey proxy servers.

Now I am back at my parents house on NTL it takes 30+ secs to open a page up. Proxy fallover problems all the time and I would be better of ringing up the mail recipient and giving him the email in binary than relying on the NTL email servers...

Oh how I miss my Nildram :cry:

I would rather deep fry my own testicles than pay for an NTL connection.

Still - on the bright side / my not so techy parents are looking at changing to an ISP that actualy delivers what you pay for ---- Now theres a novel idea !

Cerberus
24-02-2005, 10:22
Well apparently according to the Service status the FTP issues were resolved yesterday 23/02/2005. However this isn't the case at all. It's 24/02/2005 and I still can't access my FTP. Please see the attached jpg to see how much cock and bull NTL actually come out with. If they dont resolve it today then I am afraid NTL will lose yet another customer.:mad:

Can anyone on here tell me what the issue is and when it will be resolved?

Thanks in advance:)

I am based in Galsgow using Win XP with SP2 and also using Smart FTP to upload to my web space. Here is the message I get from Smart FTP.

I have also had a couple of IRC trojans lately which have been detected and removed, could this have anything to do with it? I have re-installed my FTP software.

SmartFTP v1.0.983.22

Resolving host name upload.ntlworld.com...

Connecting to (upload.ntlworld.com) -> IP: 62.253.***.** PORT: 21

Connected to (upload.ntlworld.com) -> Time = 0ms

Socket connected waiting for login sequence.

An established connection was aborted by the software in your host machine.

Active Help Link: http://www.smartftp.com/support/kb/index.php/58

Cannot login waiting to retry (30s)...

Ignition
24-02-2005, 12:14

I will step up to the plate and help you out here Stuart. I'll be more than happy to deep fry them for you so long as I get to video it and put it on the web.

xathras
24-02-2005, 12:16
Time to stand up and say no to ntl, this is stupid, pathetic and damn right unjust.

I've been an ntl user for sometime now, but I have got really sick of them now. I started as a dialup customers in the days before they got round to broadband and offered the free internet. Which when I had to start paying for switch to broadband. Moved from Middlesbrough to Manchester area to study and didnt need net until july 2004, ntl had two months rent offer so I took it up, ntl didnt bill me after two months where up, no letters, no nothing until January when they disconnected me, wouldnt reconnect me till I pay outstanding amount (paid it, but not happy a lot of money £37.99 x number of months not being billed) made a complaint via here and contacted an ntl rep (i managed to get my first bill this month) hurray you say, well I was billed for £37.99 and then £0.59 erm hello. Email not working, service appologing, customer service digusting, anything else?

slimshady
24-02-2005, 13:46
I will step up to the plate and help you out here Stuart. I'll be more than happy to deep fry them for you so long as I get to video it and put it on the web.

I've just cleaned the deep fat fryer so you can happily borrow that :p, its got fresh oil as well and temperature control!!!

Keytops
24-02-2005, 14:43
Its about right . Out they come with a quick dig then run away. Nothing constructive. IQ as low as a snakes belly in a wagon rut :) :LOL:

Thats no way to talk about NTL tech's... even if it is accurate :D :rolleyes:

Chrysalis
24-02-2005, 18:39
any idea what happened at leics last night, I think 4 or 5 times my modem kept ressetting and I ended up with a new ip address this morning.

Bill C
24-02-2005, 19:48
Thats no way to talk about NTL tech's... even if it is accurate :D :rolleyes:

Who said i was talking about NTL Tech's

Neil
24-02-2005, 19:51
any idea what happened at leics last night, I think 4 or 5 times my modem kept ressetting and I ended up with a new ip address this morning.

What did ntl Tech Support say when you reported the fault to them?

Ignition
24-02-2005, 20:33
Planned works, as stated on service status page, 1am-6am Tuesday/Weds/Thurs/Fri morning depending on needs.

On the morning of Thursday the 24th of February between 00:00 and 06:00 broadband customers in the Baguley, Warrington, Clydebank and Leicester areas may experience a loss of service due to these works.

Florence
24-02-2005, 20:55
Planned works, as stated on service status page, 1am-6am Tuesday/Weds/Thurs/Fri morning depending on needs.

Thank you Igni for the information,still no help to my present problem. Just reconnected again after another marvelous los of internet.

[23:24] *** You have been disconnected. Wed Feb 23 23:24:11 2005.
[23:24] *** "Kits Not again!!!!" signed on at Wed Feb 23 23:24:54 2005.
[23:49] *** You have been disconnected. Wed Feb 23 23:49:43 2005.
[23:54] *** "Kits Not again!!!!" signed on at Wed Feb 23 23:54:13 2005.
[23:56] *** You have been disconnected. Wed Feb 23 23:56:21 2005.
[23:56] *** "Kits Not again!!!!" signed on at Wed Feb 23 23:56:55 2005.
[00:13] *** You have been disconnected. Thu Feb 24 00:13:52 2005.
[00:15] *** "Kits Not again!!!!" signed on at Thu Feb 24 00:15:27 2005.
[15:10] *** You have been disconnected. Thu Feb 24 15:10:58 2005.
[15:11] *** "Kits Not again!!!!" signed on at Thu Feb 24 15:11:07 2005.
[19:34] *** You have been disconnected. Thu Feb 24 19:34:42 2005.
[19:35] *** "Kits Not again!!!!" signed on at Thu Feb 24 19:35:42 2005.
[19:40] *** You have been disconnected. Thu Feb 24 19:40:26 2005.
[19:41] *** "Kits Not again!!!!" signed on at Thu Feb 24 19:41:38 2005.

I have been disconnected 7 times in the last 24hours ok it was a min or two but try using the internet dropping it that many times. What is more annoying it can't do it when we are not using the internet just when its in use

Florence
24-02-2005, 21:55
[20:33] *** You have been disconnected. Thu Feb 24 20:33:58 2005.
[20:36] *** "Kits Not again!!!!" signed on at Thu Feb 24 20:36:31 2005.
[20:41] *** You have been disconnected. Thu Feb 24 20:41:00 2005.
[20:41] *** "Kits Not again!!!!" signed on at Thu Feb 24 20:41:45 200

And disconnected again while adding this

a few more tonight

Chrysalis
24-02-2005, 22:27
What did ntl Tech Support say when you reported the fault to them?

I didnt bother since my previous experience has shown india dont accept fault reports they just run through my equipment looking for faults. Instead I turned the pc off went to bed and it was fixed when I got up.

Chrysalis
24-02-2005, 22:28

Thanks have lost link to that page.

ian@huth
24-02-2005, 22:50
The thing that REALLY annoys me is people saying "your" when they mean "you're" (you are) :mad:

e.g "your right" - er, no you're not, it's "YOU'RE" (you are)

Your is "your house", "your computer" etc.

Phew, I've been meaning to type that for about 12 months :)
Punctuation and grammar can significantly alter the meaning of a post. Sometimes though the real meaning isn't always apparent when first read. ;)

Florence
25-02-2005, 17:12
So far today I have dropped the internet twice but instead of 1min each time its been 3 mins.

[04:21] *** "Kits Not again!!!!" signed on at Fri Feb 25 04:21:32 2005.
[07:45] *** You have been disconnected. Fri Feb 25 07:45:40 2005.
[07:52] *** "Kits Not again!!!!" signed on at Fri Feb 25 07:52:53 2005.
[07:56] *** You have been disconnected. Fri Feb 25 07:56:49 2005.
[07:59] *** "Kits Not again!!!!" signed on at Fri Feb 25 07:59:48 2005.

Keytops
25-02-2005, 17:26
Punctuation and grammar can significantly alter the meaning of a post. Sometimes though the real meaning isn't always apparent when first read. ;)

Yes - you mean! Punctuation and grammar can. Significantly alter the meaning of a post, sometimes. Though the real meaning isn't, always, apparent; when first read? :D

Here's a little puzzle to ponder. The following sentence is grammatically correct, it just needs to be given the correct punctuation.

Ann while Bob had had had had had had had had had had had a better effect on the teacher.

:dozey:

Nemesis
25-02-2005, 17:28
This is getting a little Off Topic innit .....

Florence
25-02-2005, 17:46
:shrug: Looks like they are spamming the thread with useless information stopping me from getting my problem sorted. :nono: also it is bad manners to pick on others posts about their grammer/spellings as some could be dyslixic and it isn't nice to draw attention to these.

Neil
25-02-2005, 19:08
I didnt bother since my previous experience has shown india dont accept fault reports they just run through my equipment looking for faults. Instead I turned the pc off went to bed and it was fixed when I got up.

Sorry to sounds harsh here, but if you can't be bothered to report the fault to ntl, don't come here & bitch about it.

You need to vote to get your voice heard, no vote=no say, end of.

Chrysalis
25-02-2005, 19:59
nothing to do with lazyness Neil, have you read my post from last time I tried to report a fault?

NTL make it impossible to report a fault now so its just not possible, please tell me why I should waste my time and get frustrated doing so, if it was so easy dont you think kits current problem would now be resolved?

Tuftus
25-02-2005, 20:20
Sorry to sounds harsh here, but if you can't be bothered to report the fault to ntl, don't come here & bitch about it.

You need to vote to get your voice heard, no vote=no say, end of.

Sorry Neil I think that is harsh mate. :td:

I was under the impression that this site / forum was precicely for this reason, for people who are at thier wits end with ntl to draw upon the knowledge and helpfulness of people on the site / forum.

Or am I wrong? :angel:

/prepares to get flamed.... :cool:

scrotnig
25-02-2005, 20:21

If Neil's defending ntl then it MUST be a strong argument! :D

He's right though. With any company, you need to report a fault. You can't ring up and say 'oh by the way my service hasn't worked for six months, please refund all my money'. You have to let the firm know. No other company is any different.

was under the impression that this site / forum was precicely for this reason, for people who are at thier wits end with ntl to draw upon the knowledge and helpfulness of people on the site / forum.

It is, but that doesn't mean people will give crap advice just because it's what someone wants to hear.

Stuartbe
25-02-2005, 20:25

I was under the impression that this site / forum was precicely for this reason, for people who are at thier wits end with ntl to draw upon the knowledge and helpfulness of people on the site / forum.

Or am I wrong? :angel:

/prepares to get flamed.... :cool:

I think that Neil is trying to say that if no-body reports these problems to NTL then they are going to think that all is hunkey/dorey...

Trouble is that if evryone reported every fault every time the NTL phone system would draw so much power that every lightbulb in the world would dim and the phone system control box would go nuclear and the world would see a very large mushroom cloud in the air !

The people on the site can only cure the symptom and not the cause of the problem. Only NTL can do that - if they feel like it of corse (bless em)

Tuftus
25-02-2005, 20:33

He's right though. With any company, you need to report a fault. You can't ring up and say 'oh by the way my service hasn't worked for six months, please refund all my money'. You have to let the firm know. No other company is any different.

It is, but that doesn't mean people will give crap advice just because it's what someone wants to hear.

Wow, so many flames.... lol

Whilst I appreciate that sometimes you do need to call TS, other times you just get nowhere, like recently when I got through to TS in India.

The helpfulness I was referring to was help / assistance by Ignition who is was and still is very knowledgable.

Chrysalis
25-02-2005, 20:46
Obviously the people flaming me and kits have no experience of tech support in india.

I repeat, there is no fault reporting procedure in india tech support.

scrotnig
25-02-2005, 20:48
Wow, so many flames.... lol

Whilst I appreciate that sometimes you do need to call TS, other times you just get nowhere, like recently when I got through to TS in India.

The helpfulness I was referring to was help / assistance by Ignition who is was and still is very knowledgable.
I'm not flaming, I'm just telling some home truths. I know it isn't always easy reporting faults, certainly not with technical support if you get through to India, but my point is simply thus: if a customer chooses not to report a fault, they can't expect any compensation or refunds. It's as simple as that.

As I said elsewhere, I'm only the messenger, please don't shoot me.

Derek
25-02-2005, 20:51
Obviously the people flaming me and kits have no experience of tech support in india.

I experienced it from a customer and a staff side a large number of times. I know exactly how good and bad some of the staff there are.

I repeat, there is no fault reporting procedure in india tech support.

Yes there is. Whether all the staff adhere to it is another matter. Whether all the Swansea based staff adhere to it is also another matter.

Regardless of whether it is a good idea or not (and for the record I think it is a bad idea) this wasn't done overnight.

Tuftus
25-02-2005, 20:52
I'm not flaming, I'm just telling some home truths. I know it isn't always easy reporting faults, certainly not with technical support if you get through to India, but my point is simply thus: if a customer chooses not to report a fault, they can't expect any compensation or refunds. It's as simple as that.

As I said elsewhere, I'm only the messenger, please don't shoot me.

I have had enough home truths for one day....

Who said anything about shootings btw??? ;)

Nidge
25-02-2005, 21:19

I am dropping the internet for a few secs sometimes mins but to drop the internet 11 times since 19.30...

I would like an internet connection that is reliable not one thats on the verge of falling apart.

Today my son said he was getting pings of 700+ to the server he uses all the time with his clan. This server was always 50 or below unless I was downloading or listening to a radio stream when his max was 200.

I can't see NTL surviving any upgrades like BT and Telewest with the network in such a neglected state. :Yikes:

Mines been dropping for the last 2 months, I've had a a engineer out and he said there is nothing wrong with the modem or the network :mad: :mad: I'm looking at going over to BT within the next few weeks if the price is right.

Florence
25-02-2005, 22:27
I think that Neil is trying to say that if no-body reports these problems to NTL then they are going to think that all is hunkey/dorey...

Trouble is that if evryone reported every fault every time the NTL phone system would draw so much power that every lightbulb in the world would dim and the phone system control box would go nuclear and the world would see a very large mushroom cloud in the air !

The people on the site can only cure the symptom and not the cause of the problem. Only NTL can do that - if they feel like it of corse (bless em)

I find coming here and asking or saying what is happening normally gets sorted better than calling the new tech support line. Swansea gets my vote I had a good service once I was answered and I would rather wait online and have the fault sorted than have the phone answered immediately and left for 2 days to just arrange an engineer from CS(in the UK). I totally refuse to call India again.

Chrysalis
26-02-2005, 00:58
I find coming here and asking or saying what is happening normally gets sorted better than calling the new tech support line. Swansea gets my vote I had a good service once I was answered and I would rather wait online and have the fault sorted than have the phone answered immediately and left for 2 days to just arrange an engineer from CS(in the UK). I totally refuse to call India again.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

ignition and monkeybreath have done a much better job then india tech support ever have.

Florence
26-02-2005, 01:46
Mines been dropping for the last 2 months, I've had a a engineer out and he said there is nothing wrong with the modem or the network :mad: :mad: I'm looking at going over to BT within the next few weeks if the price is right.

Nidge why not post the modems up and downstream information in here so we can see what the levels are.

tonight has been bliss no drops since 7.59 AM

Downstream Receive Power Level : 7.96 dBmv
Downstream SNR : 32.53 dB
Upstream Transmit Power Level : 44.00 dBmv

still no different from when it was dropping the internet all night.

Ignition
26-02-2005, 11:28
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

ignition and monkeybreath have done a much better job then india tech support ever have.

Not really that surprising, it's not my job to do these things and I do because I try to be helpful. I can give every issue I take on my personal attention and pull strings.

Much as though I appreciate the complement it's grossly unfair, I also do better on the odd issue I've picked up than TSB Swansea do in the vast majority of their cases, doesn't mean they are no good, just that I have more access to people and technical resources to get things done, as well as dealing with far far less of them.

Those people (me being one of them) who've had bad experiences from Swansea (in my case 3 phone calls over 5 days just to get an engineer visit, even though I diagnosed my own issue as faulty modem + asked for another one and that was all) would disagree with you.

My issue was entirely unacceptably dealt with by TSB. 3 phone calls, ran through all the procedures like a good boy each time, was told an engineer would be visiting all 3 times and each of last 2 times that no engineer visit was shown on records.

This was eventually sorted by a call to Winnersh, my local office, who informed me that (surprisingly) no engineer was booked. They booked one and gave me a time straight away. Engineer came, took power readings, and surprisingly changed modem.

To say the India office is no good due to one bad experience is crazy. I could have despised the TSB after the appauling service I received from them, however these things are a sad fact of life.

Until you are going to start helping yourself properly by calling TSB to report these faults I am not going to give you any more help on here. I am here for those whose issues either aren't getting sorted by the normal means or can't be sorted by the normal means. As a compliment to the normal way things run, not a replacement.

In short, try to help yourself and I will help you!

Bill C
26-02-2005, 13:31
SNIP

:clap::clap:

Stuart
27-02-2005, 20:22

True. That's one of my biggest bug bears where I work. We have a team of 5 full time exployees maintaining "labs" containing over 300 pcs. Occasionally, something goes wrong with one (or more) of the pcs, but if no one reports it, then we don't necessarily know there is a problem. Automated systems can only test so much (even assuming NTL uses automated testing systems). I personally would rather a problem was reported multiple times than not reported at all. It's flipping irritating to hear a student say "This PC is not working. It's not been working properly for several weeks".

The fact is, (as I have said before) if NTL know about a problem, they can fix it (and probably within a few hours). If they don't know, they won't fix it.

Jip
27-02-2005, 20:43
I've been having the same problems recently, after ignition doing something to my UBR(?), it was ok for a few nights, its not back to its worst. I'm waiting for the speed increase and if they service isn't satisfactory i will be moving to ADSL.

absl
27-02-2005, 22:32
:clap:

Sorry, the 'claps' were meant to go to post #70 !