PDA

View Full Version : is it possible

harv
22-02-2005, 17:35
hi

is it possible to get an out of contract cable modem and connect it to a second cable connection (that used to be for tv).
would i need to register the cm with the same details as the first modem or would i have to inform ntl that i want to connect another cm?
anyone have any experience in this? not too keen on paying for 2 cm connections as i am sure you can appreciate, so would like to know details before buying another cm.

thanks

ian@huth
22-02-2005, 17:42
Hi Harv and :welcome: to cableforum.

Don't even bother to think about buying another cable modem as you will not be able to use it. Only one CM can be used on your NTL service and that has to be one provided by NTL.

Halcyon
22-02-2005, 18:21
Hi, Welcome to the forums, Hope you enjoy it here. :)

Dont know if this helps, but, If you are wanting to get another PC on the net, you could just get a Router which will allow you to share an existing connection.

Cable Modem into router....And then each PC into the router.

harv
22-02-2005, 18:54
hi

thanks for the replies.
i have a router and a wirelesss network but the added bandwidth of a new modem setup would have been nice.

incidentally i have swapped my original ntl cm over from one connection to the other and it worked fine, this is why i was wondering whether another cm would be ok too.

thanks again
harv

Tezcatlipoca
22-02-2005, 22:24
1) You can't use two cable modems

2) You can't use a cable modem which you have bought (e.g. off EBay etc). Only cable modems supplied by ntl will work.

harv
23-02-2005, 00:54
ok thanks, wont bother buying one then