PDA

View Full Version : Norton Uninstall

andyl
22-02-2005, 17:32
OK, is it just me or are Symantec hopeless at both designing and supporting products. I had a problem with spam reaching my inbox and some legitimate mail ending up in my spam box (even when I'd identified an address several times as not being spam). So I contact Symantec support who suggest re-installing. So I unistall and try and reinstall but the install fails because NIS2004, likes its predecessor, doesn't remove a number of its own componbents.

So back on to Tech Support via the new e-chat things. Long story short, hopeless; advice not arriving when promised, connections falling. So I call Symantec's London support line and wait 15 minutes to speak to a surly oik who promises to email the advice (which the e-chat bloke previously didn't). But he didn't either.

So back on to e-chat who send me a link for the removal which doesn't work. Back on to e-chat - this time to demand they call me. They said they will within 15 minutes; they've got 5 to go!

Net result is I've had no virus protection for over 20 hours and have lost the best part of a day trying to sort this.

Is it just me?!! :(

Paul K
22-02-2005, 17:40
I would be tempted to use add/ remove to get rid of any and all remaining symantec tools and then I would back up the registry and then manually search it for entries to delete.
Before that though I would think about installing a free AV like AVG etc to cover you while you are sorting out the Symantec problem ;)

andyl
22-02-2005, 17:44
I would be tempted to use add/ remove to get rid of any and all remaining symantec tools and then I would back up the registry and then manually search it for entries to delete.
Before that though I would think about installing a free AV like AVG etc to cover you while you are sorting out the Symantec problem ;)

Cheers - hopefully I'll get it sorted soon but my NIS subscription is due soon and at this rate they can whistle. Still no sign of the promised phone call. These people sure do take the garibaldi.

What's PC-cillin like anyone?

Paul K
22-02-2005, 17:49

Cheers - hopefully I'll get it sorted soon but my NIS subscription is due soon and at this rate they can whistle. Still no sign of the promised phone call. These people sure do take the garibaldi.

What's PC-cillin like anyone?
Like most things you hear good and bad things ;) Unfortunately I have heard many stories of Symantec software not fully unloading all it's stuff occassionally. Then again I've heard stories about software that I use and I've yet to suffer the same fate lol.
Any good Anti-Virus and firewall combination would be an improvement on your lack of working software at the moment though ;) Personally I use Kerio and AVG but I have used several firewalls in the past including Zone Alarm and Nortons Internet Security suite. These days I prefer to use a stand alone tool rather than a suite in case something goes wrong and I have to strip the remains out of the registry manually :(

Salu
22-02-2005, 17:53
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2004020314035036?Open&src=&docid=2004021309280836&nsf=tsgeninfo.nsf&view=docid&dtype=&prod=&ver=&osv=&osv_lvl=

This link shows a way to remove NIS2004. within there there is a tool that you can download that will remove the stuff that the uninstall routine missed.....why they didn't write this to start with I don'rt know....

andyl
22-02-2005, 17:55
But why can't they design the suites so that you don't have to manually uninstall every little registry entry?!!

Still no sign of my promised phone call either. Grrrrrrrrrr :mad:

andyl
22-02-2005, 20:09
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2004020314035036?Open&src=&docid=2004021309280836&nsf=tsgeninfo.nsf&view=docid&dtype=&prod=&ver=&osv=&osv_lvl=

This link shows a way to remove NIS2004. within there there is a tool that you can download that will remove the stuff that the uninstall routine missed.....why they didn't write this to start with I don'rt know....

Thanks but that I couldn't access that tool when Symantec sent it. Anyways, a happy ending. After getting shirty on e-chat and insisting that someone call a very nice man did who was very helpful and all round lovely. He then told me that the centre he was in (Bangalore) was only email not telephone support but as he could see how frustrated I was getting he thought he'd call anyway. How cool is that? He was brilliantly helpful and polite - but wasn't trained for telephone support unlike the useless oik I spoke to on the UK line earlier in the day.

So I'm sorted and, for a glum chap, quite happy