PDA

View Full Version : 4x4 strike back

th'engineer
22-02-2005, 15:57
thought all our 4x4 knockers would like this site :angel:

http://www.4x4prejudice.org (http://www.4x4prejudice.org/)

Just shows how wrong the people who knock these wonderfull vehicles are :)

scrotnig
22-02-2005, 16:06
Cue loads of 'you have a car so you are destroying the world' type posts.

Maggy
22-02-2005, 16:10
Cue loads of 'you have a car so you are destroying the world' type posts.

Oh you mean that 4x4's are in the worst catergory for poor exhaust emmissions. ;)

AndrewJ
22-02-2005, 16:12
Nah just for pig headed morons whos only off road driving is on the pavement outside a ATM machine on yellow lines with a no parking sign there.

Or the pick up a school lark, take up a entire lane drive down pick your kid back up set off to drive 300metres up road into your drive way kind of driver.

I am sure a few people who drive for a living know where I am getting at ;)

ian@huth
22-02-2005, 16:15
Nothing against 4x4s myself, just some of the selfish arrogant twits that drive them. :D (Please note use of the word "some" rather than "all". :)

AndrewJ
22-02-2005, 16:29
Having only driven a short while I am amazed how angry these woman with 4x4's.

punky
22-02-2005, 16:29

Good, about time someone did.

AndrewJ
22-02-2005, 16:31
You LIKE THEM???

Give me a Honda Accord ( new shape ) the 2.8 would be nice with a autobox.

Earl of Bronze
22-02-2005, 16:56
Well, hopefully come March or April I'll be behind the wheel of a Land Rover T90 tdi. :D :D :D :D :D

Stuart
22-02-2005, 17:26
I actually have nothing against 4x4s, I just think that most of the drivers who use them have no real need for them. OK, so they can take heavier loads than the average family car. How many times a year do you need to take a heavy load (heavy enough that a car could not cope safely)? Once? Twice a year?

Let me explain. I know maybe one or two people who have 4x4s and really use them.. My dad's friend (who I have always known as Uncle, even though he is no actual relation to my dad). He lives out in the Kent countryside and has to use the 4x4 because if the weather is really bad, a conventional car would have trouble making it to his house. The other person is my old boss. He had wanted a Range Rover (the original, full size, heating-is-an-optional-extra design) since he was a kid. He waited until he could afford one, then joined a Range Rover club and AFAIK has spent every weekend since driving out into the countryside, into rivers, using the winch to pull it up stream..

Most of the 4x4s near wear I live rarely venture far from home, usually stick to the road, and only ever seem to be used for taking the kids to school, picking up the shopping, or driving to the office. The sort of thing a 1.4 litre Fiesta could do just as well, and a whole lot more efficiently.

daxx
23-02-2005, 01:25
and once the drivers of these things get behind the wheel they automatically add on another 3ft for the 'distance from the kerb' as opposed to their little fiesta. Half of them think they are driving an artic judging from the way they drive them round here

Paulie
23-02-2005, 08:34
Ooh knock knock knock.
I have a 4x4, and yes i do the school run, and i can do it in the snow too. I got it because it has much more room to carry my family and general stuff that comes with us, than the Renault Laguna that i used to have. I did not want to get a troop carrier, so i made my choice. It`s also in my mind a lot safer to be in a car weighing 2000kg than a little enviro friendly pootle about. You try taking your family away for a week in a Nissan Micra.

th'engineer
23-02-2005, 11:22
Nothing against 4x4s myself, just some of the selfish arrogant twits that drive them. :D (Please note use of the word "some" rather than "all". :)
little bit of a generalisation there, are you including farmers, mountain rescue, firemen, ambulances, the army navy and airforce as twits :rolleyes:

Stuart
23-02-2005, 11:25
little bit of a generalisation there, are you including farmers, mountain rescue, firemen, ambulances, the army navy and airforce as twits :rolleyes:

He did say "some", not "all"...

Those are all people who at some point will actually need 4x4s. Even the police are starting to drive them round here (the police seem to use Motor scooters, motor bikes, 4x4s and BMWs round here).

th'engineer
23-02-2005, 14:06
He did say "some", not "all"...

Those are all people who at some point will actually need 4x4s. Even the police are starting to drive them round here (the police seem to use Motor scooters, motor bikes, 4x4s and BMWs round here).

Should define them better :D

TheBlueRaja
23-02-2005, 14:54
Didnt see THAT episode of Top Gear then?

Anyone who has one of these is just making up for the small size of their penis or chest. Its a proven point.

From a psychological point of view the 4x4 owner generally makes up for his lack of girth / small breast size by driving round town like a 17 year old showing off his bling in an attempt to make up for psychological issues dating back to the school changing rooms.

And YES that is what everyone who looks at your car IS thinking - remember that next time you go out.

More than likey the 4x4 owner is an ex or wannabe BMW driver who just cant afford one anymore given the servicing costs so has decided to splash out on a 4x4 instead to go "cross country" on their way to school with the kids or to get their shopping (usually via an A road, B road if they feel "risky").

Watch out for that "special breed" though the BMW 4x4 owner - you know there looking down upon you as they speed through town at 40 mowing down kids and grannies without flinching. They think they are IT, and have more money than sense - be warned!

It is an automobile which by all accounts should be banned or at least very heavily taxed due to its completely inappropriate size for the public roads, especially in town. In fact a good idea would be to bring in conjestion charging specifically for these vehicles.

The only time people like to see these cars is when they are at the petrol/diesel pump, as we get to have a good laugh at the owner as they throw away their money yet again by banging another 50 quid in the tank.

Dont blame me - i conducted a moray poll in the office and we all agree with these facts and figures - the truth - sometime hurts. :shrug:

Stuart
23-02-2005, 15:02
The only time people like to see these cars is when they are at the petrol/diesel pump, as we get to have a good laugh at the owner as they throw away their money yet again by banging another 50 quid in the tank.

Reminds me of a conversation my Aunt and Uncle had. At the time, my Uncle had a Jag with rather large engine (3 litre V8 IIRC)

Aunt : Can I borrow the car? I'll fill it up with petrol

Uncle: How much?

Aunt: About a tenner..

Uncle: That'll get you to the end of the drive..

gazzae
23-02-2005, 15:16
It is an automobile which by all accounts should be banned or at least very heavily taxed due to its completely inappropriate size for the public roads, especially in town. In fact a good idea would be to bring in conjestion charging specifically for these vehicles.

What about vehicles that are longer and wider than some 4&4's e.g a Volvo estate?

TheBlueRaja
23-02-2005, 15:31
Nope!

Just 4x4's (specifically)

Paulie
23-02-2005, 15:50
Didnt see THAT episode of Top Gear then?

Clarkson talks out of his arse anyway.
His Ferarri puts out more crap than my 4x4.

TheBlueRaja
23-02-2005, 16:06
He dosent own a Ferarri, its a Ford GT40 IIRC.

And besides - he didnt say anything - they showed you exactly what goes wrong with 4x4's in an emergency.

gazzae
23-02-2005, 16:11

Is that the only that only goes 80 miles on a tank of petrol, yet the studio is 90 miles from where he lives? :p:

Paulie
23-02-2005, 16:19

And besides - he didnt say anything - they showed you exactly what goes wrong with 4x4's in an emergency.

Well he used to. And each to their own i guess on the 4x4 issue.

TheBlueRaja
23-02-2005, 16:39
Is that the only that only goes 80 miles on a tank of petrol, yet the studio is 90 miles from where he lives? :p:

Yeah, but the GT40 is an excellent motor - so he can get away with it. ;)

Earl of Bronze
23-02-2005, 16:49
Actually, Clarkson owns a top of the range Range Rover. So if he was gobbing off about ordinary people driving 4x4's it a bit of a cheek. Then again, the number of people who almost exclusively to take their kids to school in the mornings makes me want to puke. Wether they are driving a small run-about, or a bloody great 4x4 theres just no sodding need.

''Let your fat assed kids walk to school in the morning, I did it for 15 years and it didnt kill me.'' ;)

TheBlueRaja
23-02-2005, 18:35
^^

Amen to that!

Actually clarkson never slagged off 4x4's he simply show what happens if you have to swerve quickly to avoid someone when doing about 30 in one.

Lets just say its nasty...

Anyone who has kids and has seen that yet still wants to drive one is blatantly mad.

AndrewJ
23-02-2005, 18:36
SO whens the hearse arriving for that poor Earl of Bronze guy..such a shame.

Earl of Bronze
23-02-2005, 18:58
SO whens the hearse arriving for that poor Earl of Bronze guy..such a shame.

Sooner rather than later I hope. But then again, I'm hoping to buy a Land Rover and all the weight is in the chassis (sp?). So no worries about it tipping over in fast corners.

Bill C
23-02-2005, 18:59

I have 1 answer to this

"puts on flame retardent suit"

1 Tax them at commercial level and see how many are still on the school run in 6 months time.

2 Why o why do owners park them in the women and child bay and then say they have to do it due to the size. "And dont have kids"

3. Why o why are they the first to complain about the cost of fuel. As they fill up there 80 liter tank for the second time that week.

4 why o why do they think they own the road.

5 why o why do i have 4 in my road that have never been off road and one owner said why would i want to do that it might get dirty.

Yes cards on the table. I hate them and all they stand for.

And one last point. For those that sup fuel. If they did not use all that fuel the yanks and blair will not have to invade as many oil rich countrys :)

AndrewJ
23-02-2005, 19:06
They think they own the road due to there size, I have great pleasure once in watching a woman being pulled over near a local school for speeding.

Them thing are a menace and esp with bullbars on the front no consideration for pedestrians and kids being silly and running out, they cant stop they cant shift, they cant go round corners, they cant turn suddenly, they are thirsty on fuel, overpriced,overrated,over publicsed as safe.

they are just oversized farm vehicles which should remain in the field.

/rant off.

Maggy
23-02-2005, 20:26
:notopic: Andrew,why are you using Buxom Woman's avatar? Is there summat you need to tell us? :erm:

:D

AndrewJ
23-02-2005, 20:32
I have spoken to her hubby it was a mistake I saved it from here and thought it was in use on another forum I shall change it apologise to those involved.

Edit: Changed it now :tu:

Visibleman
23-02-2005, 21:26
tbh, i dont see the problem with them banning them or increasing road tax or anything :) That website for one is a load of tosh, it says that banning 4x4s would mean that 4 wheel drive cars like evos, audi's etc would get banned too - errr noo, there called 4WD or AWD vehicles, not 4x4s or SUVs :rolleyes: Plus saying "pretty much all cars are im afraid" to the question that there terrible for the environment, again its utter rubbish - haven’t they seen emission reports then!
Fair enough that there is a small minority that takes these vehicles off roading, around there acres of land etc and actually NEED one. But 90% of people just use them because a) they thing they have some sort of status above everyone else on the road and b) because there lead to believe that there more safer than a standard car, therefore its a perfect car to take the kids to school - in which case they have more money that sense, as it would save them a packet if they use a more efficient car or tell the kids to get the bus etc etc

Plus I totally agree with the fact there just a penis extension for majority of the drivers - especially BMW X5 drivers, who I have had the pleasure in seeing one cut across 3 lanes (outside to in) then back out again on the M1 (which was pretty busy at the time) just to get in front of me, even though we we're already exceeding the speed limit by quite a bit :erm: whilst still trying to impress his secretary who he’s seeing on the side :rolleyes:

Anyways that’s my 2pennies worth :)

Sipowicz
23-02-2005, 21:58
All of the arguments against 4x4's on here can read across to BMW's, Audi's, Golf's, Artic drivers, Boy racers in their Corsa's etc. It's not the car/vehicle, it's the moron behind the wheel!

I remember being held up on the A14 behind a fatality; the moron in the Artic that had followed me for the last 500 yards 2 feet from my bumper at 60mph, declared it to be the fault of the car driver. It would never happen to him "'cos I'm a professional driver". Yeah, with super human reactions and his lorry is fitted with brakes that can stop him on a sixpence.
Like I said, a moron.

th'engineer
01-03-2005, 13:43
All of the arguments against 4x4's on here can read across to BMW's, Audi's, Golf's, Artic drivers, Boy racers in their Corsa's etc. It's not the car/vehicle, it's the moron behind the wheel!

I remember being held up on the A14 behind a fatality; the moron in the Artic that had followed me for the last 500 yards 2 feet from my bumper at 60mph, declared it to be the fault of the car driver. It would never happen to him "'cos I'm a professional driver". Yeah, with super human reactions and his lorry is fitted with brakes that can stop him on a sixpence.
Like I said, a moron.

Well said its not the vehicle its the driver

From a psychological point of view the 4x4 owner generally makes up for his lack of girth / small breast size by driving round town like a 17 year old showing off his bling in an attempt to make up for psychological issues dating back to the school changing rooms.

have you been on the wacky baccy and who do you think you are cracker f:wtf: rom a psychological point of view:D

purenuman
01-03-2005, 14:02

Very true...... to a point.....

That point is that if the moron hits a pedestrian in an Audi, Golf etc they are much more likely to survive than if a 4x4 hits them in the same way at the same speed and that is what most people are against them for......

Paulie
01-03-2005, 14:23
Very true...... to a point.....

That point is that if the moron hits a pedestrian in an Audi, Golf etc they are much more likely to survive than if a 4x4 hits them in the same way at the same speed and that is what most people are against them for......

But aren`t vans (and their rather faster drivers) just as bad, if not worse?

orangebird
01-03-2005, 14:38
<snip>It`s also in my mind a lot safer to be in a car weighing 2000kg than a little enviro friendly pootle about.

Then your mind is seriously misinformed. In the latest NCAP safety test, 4x4s did very badly as far as safety goes ;

Freelander - 2 stars.....Fiesta - 4 stars.

The cabin of the Freelander was shattered, as was the front frame of the car...and so would your child be if they were sat in the front. Think you're any safer now?

You try taking your family away for a week in a Nissan Micra.

Poor excuse - you don't live in the damn car, just travel in it.

Admit it - your just up for the 'who's got the biggest car at the school gates' competition, aren't you.... :dunce:

Paulie
01-03-2005, 14:48
Then your mind is seriously misinformed. In the latest NCAP safety test, 4x4s did very badly as far as safety goes ;

The cabin of the Freelander was shattered, as was the front frame of the car...and so would your child be if they were sat in the front. Think you're any safer now?

Poor excuse - you don't live in the damn car, just travel in it.

Admit it - your just up for the 'who's got the biggest car at the school gates' competition, aren't you.... :dunce:

If i hit a fiesta in my car i would come out on top i think. No i dont live in my car i drive it. My point being that i can drive to my holiday destination if i should want to, but i couldnt if all i had was a nissan micra.
Well if thats your only argument you must be pretty shallow. Admit it, you just dont like 4x4`s and dont really know why :dunce:

gazzae
01-03-2005, 14:52

the freelander actually has a 3 star rating. The BMW X5 has a five star NCAP rating.

The Audi A3 has a 1* Pedestrian rating, as does the audi A4. These are the same ratings as the average 4x4. In fact the Nissan X-Trail actually has a higher rating for Pedestrian safety than these two cars.

The golf is pretty good and has a 3* Pedestrian rating.

The majority of MPV's also only have a 1* Pedestrian rating.

orangebird
01-03-2005, 15:14
If i hit a fiesta in my car i would come out on top i think.

Why, because it's bigger? That doesn't mean it's better. Scary really that you think like that whilst in charge of a vehicle...#

No i dont live in my car i drive it. My point being that i can drive to my holiday destination if i should want to, but i couldnt if all i had was a nissan micra.

Why not??
Well if thats your only argument you must be pretty shallow. Admit it, you just dont like 4x4`s and dont really know why :dunce:

POT KETTLE :LOL:

I like them. I drive one. But I also have horses and a trailer that I need to tow. What's your proper excuse? What 4x4 do you drive?

Paulie
01-03-2005, 15:26
Why not??

POT KETTLE :LOL:

I like them. I drive one. But I also have horses and a trailer that I need to tow. What's your proper excuse?

It`s physics sweetheart, that`s all. I like to think i`m a careful driver. Besides a 4x4 is a truck not a car, so drives a lot different as you well know.

Why not? Because we couldnt fit all the stuff into a renault laguna, thats why.

POT KETTLE
I like them too. I wanted something bigger than a laguna. I dont like MPV`s and the big estates cost far too much money
Too many people are just quoting anti 4x4 things and not knowing why. Old people buy them for the height, so they can get in and out with ease.

Do you only drive your 4x4 when towing your horse around?

me283
01-03-2005, 15:28
I was trained in off-road driving techniques (albeit briefly) in Land Rovers and Range Rovers, and it's amazing what they can do. Having said that, it's not often that 99% of the "Chelsea Tractor" drivers find themselves on a steep muddy incline, or driving through water up to the top of their wheel arches.

But it's a free world and everyone can drive what they like. However, I agree with the comment that it's not the car, it's the driver. Maybe these cars attract bad drivers? Or maybe they drive well enough in a normal sized car, but lack the ability or confidence to drive something bigger?

orangebird
01-03-2005, 15:34
It`s physics sweetheart, that`s all. I like to think i`m a careful driver. Besides a 4x4 is a truck not a car, so drives a lot different as you well know.

Why not? Because we couldnt fit all the stuff into a renault laguna, thats why.

POT KETTLE
I like them too. I wanted something bigger than a laguna. I dont like MPV`s and the big estates cost far too much money
Too many people are just quoting anti 4x4 things and not knowing why. Old people buy them for the height, so they can get in and out with ease.

Do you only drive your 4x4 when towing your horse around?

No, I off road for fun (have done for about 12 years). But if it's just me going to work or to the shops, I drive my regular car. Someone at ntl drives a pristine, new LandRover Defender. To work. It's never seen mud, and does about 6 to the gallon... WTF???

Paulie
01-03-2005, 15:40
No, I off road for fun (have done for about 12 years). But if it's just me going to work or to the shops, I drive my regular car. Someone at ntl drives a pristine, new LandRover Defender. To work. It's never seen mud, and does about 6 to the gallon... WTF???

Lmao nice looking though. 6 is way low lol but i guess that`s company petrol too ;-)

Nice to be able to have more than one car.

orangebird
01-03-2005, 15:46
Lmao nice looking though. 6 is way low lol but i guess that`s company petrol too ;-)

Nice to be able to have more than one car.

They're both pretty acient, and I didn't buy the 4x4.

Paulie
01-03-2005, 15:50
When you think about it, all most of the new ones are, are estates on stilts. Mine is shorter than a volve and a merc. Which actually surprised me. And it`s dwarfed by the new range rover.

Do you run and old lanny? I had an old series 111 for a while.

orangebird
01-03-2005, 16:09
When you think about it, all most of the new ones are, are estates on stilts. Mine is shorter than a volve and a merc. Which actually surprised me. And it`s dwarfed by the new range rover.

Do you run and old lanny? I had an old series 111 for a while.

No, Toyota Landcruiser V6 3.0.

Paulie
01-03-2005, 16:11
No, Toyota Landcruiser V6 3.0.

Big old lump then ;) Is it white with UN painted on the sides?

orangebird
01-03-2005, 16:21
Big old lump then ;) Is it white with UN painted on the sides?

:LOL: Nah, it's green. tbh, it's so dirty and knocked about, you cant tell what colour it is! :D:D

Paulie
01-03-2005, 16:27
:LOL: Nah, it's green. tbh, it's so dirty and knocked about, you cant tell what colour it is! :D:D

Hehehe nice to be back on a friendly track :D

purenuman
01-03-2005, 18:05
But aren`t vans (and their rather faster drivers) just as bad, if not worse?

As bad but ultimately necessary as you can't fit 2 pallets of goods in a Golf :D

How many people NEED a 4x4 for shopping, school run etc??

4x4's have a place and most people agree it should not be the role of an urban run-around.

Paulie
01-03-2005, 18:18
As bad but ultimately necessary as you can't fit 2 pallets of goods in a Golf :D

How many people NEED a 4x4 for shopping, school run etc??

4x4's have a place and most people agree it should not be the role of an urban run-around.

All fair points, but ultimately it`s still a choice we can make in a democracy ;)
In an ideal world i would have two vehicles. The 4x4 and a little run a round, for the shops and school run.

allieyoung666
01-03-2005, 18:24
My Dad has one, and think there pretty cool, I like the way you can look down at people in their small inferior car hahaha. No I would rather b in a 4x4 than a normal car if I was involved in a car accident.

purenuman
01-03-2005, 18:28
The Audi A3 has a 1* Pedestrian rating, as does the audi A4. These are the same ratings as the average 4x4. In fact the Nissan X-Trail actually has a higher rating for Pedestrian safety than these two cars.

The golf is pretty good and has a 3* Pedestrian rating.

The majority of MPV's also only have a 1* Pedestrian rating.

Check real world accident stats or speak to some accident investigation officers :(

Or even the traffic cops who pick up the pieces.......

allieyoung666
01-03-2005, 18:36
Im sorry, but my dads 4x4 saved his life, thats why that is all he has ever had and ever will have, it is just people think they are cool when they have one and they do not know how to handle them, My dad has had all the training necessary and he seems to be more aware of the road when he is in the trooper, than when he is in my mums skateboard, I mean punto.

keithwalton
01-03-2005, 18:56
Just a point of interest the NCAP tests for all bar the pedestrian tests are car vs car test and they hit identical cars together. So be it landy vs landy, or festa vs festa. Cars are being made to pass these tests a little too excessively, so they've made to hit themselves. What happens when they hit a tree, who knows. Or even worse a lighter car.
It's much akin to an arms race where bigger is better kinda motto.

Another point to note, the new disco is heavy very much so with its twin chassis and all it weighs in at over two tonnes. (Quick comparison, most saloons ~1.5t or less. Hatchbacks just over a tonne. 80's hatchbacks ~750kg).

I do like that sites environment section (NOT) they compare diesel 4x4's to petrol cars for the most point! the only diesel cars came out fairly largely on top (Audi A3). Cars such as the VW lupo td, which does 72mpg (combined) seems to be missing for some reason. Oh MPV's arent really cars in my eyes!

Stuart
01-03-2005, 19:11

At least you do get proper use out of it though..

Actually, one of my neighbours has bought a 4x4 (Toyota) about a year ago, and I don't think it has left their drive yet!

Despite my posts here, I actually like 4x4s. Been known to have hours of fun going around the English countryside in both a Range Rover and Jeep. Neither of which were comfortable, but it was fun anyway.

I just don't think that, based on my experience, 90% of 4x4 owners either need a 4x4 or get the best use out of the one they have. Like my friend I mentioned in another thread, the one that only drives 2 miles to work, 2 miles back and used to have a Range Rover to do that, then got rid of it when she worked out the Range Rover was costing more to run than a small car would to buy (because it was doing short journeys, it needed many more repairs as any car would).

allieyoung666
01-03-2005, 19:49
I think they are really handy, my dad tows a twin axle caravan with his, and when people get stuck in muddy fields he does not mind towing them out, if they are used for what they are made for they are a really good vehicle. Town running what is the point? When are u going to use 4x4??When you want to go over those anyonying speed humps???? :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

punky
01-03-2005, 19:53
Everyone seems to hate people in 4x4s because they presume they don't get used offroad every day.

I live in a 5 bed house by myself. 99% of the year, the other 4 bedrooms don't get used. Does that mean I have to move out into a little 1 bed flat because the other rooms don't get used?

Bottom line, people should never have to justify to anyone what car they should have. So long as what they do, or want, is legal, then it is noone elses business but theirs.

Stuart
01-03-2005, 19:56
Everyone seems to hate people in 4x4s because they presume they don't get used offroad every day.

I live in a 5 bed house by myself. 99% of the year, the other 4 bedrooms don't get used. Does that mean I have to move out into a little 1 bed flat because the other rooms don't get used?

Bottom line, people should never have to justify to anyone what car they should have. So long as what they do, or want, is legal, then it is noone elses business but theirs.

As far as I am concerned, you do have the right to do what you want. However, if it affects me, then I also have the right to complain (as do you if anything I do affects you).

andyl
01-03-2005, 20:05
If 4x4 drivers are so big and bleedin' clever why I am seeing them so frequently avoiding the speed bumps around here?! As the young folk say, "like hello?" And why is there frequently only one person in them when they are so roomy? And if there is someone alongside the driver its' only a small child who could fit with mucho room to spare in a Smart car.

Hate 'em for safety. Hate 'em for the environmental damage. Hate 'em because why do you need a 4x4 to troll around town (farming folk etc excluded from this accurate generalism!)? And well I just hate 'em for no other reason (and don't you be expecting me to justify that. Oh no. ;) )

allieyoung666
01-03-2005, 20:10
Look at the end of the day, people buy these vehicles purely as status and not for what they are meant to be used for, hopefuly when Paul gets his compo we will be getting a warrior as Paul is a convert and we do a lot of off road stuff[ well its not my fault for being such an outdoors person]. Did you know what the 4x4 is supposed to be engaged once a year or it ceases up [well thats what the guy from the garage told me dad!]. And its up to you, but when ever these things go wrong they are bloody expensive for example my dad recently paid £125 for one kelly tyre and me mum had a fit. If you want to live in a 5roomed house that is up 2 u and if you want 2 b on your own that is up to you as well.

If 4x4 drivers are so big and bleedin' clever why I am seeing them so frequently avoiding the speed bumps around here?! As the young folk say, "like hello?" And why is there frequently only one person in them when they are so roomy? And if there is someone alongside the driver its' only a small child who could fit with mucho room to spare in a Smart car.

Hate 'em for safety. Hate 'em for the environmental damage. Hate 'em because why do you need a 4x4 to troll around town (farming folk etc excluded from this accurate generalism!)? And well I just hate 'em for no other reason (and don't you be expecting me to justify that. Oh no. ;) )

typical idiot, you havent seen ours on a school run, and smart cars have the crappiest handling ever and top gear proved that. And my dad is not big and clever it is you chavs in your so called hot hatches that try to be clever by cutting us up!!!! And your old scrap cars cause more damage than 4x4s.

andyl
01-03-2005, 20:31
typical idiot, you havent seen ours on a school run, and smart cars have the crappiest handling ever and top gear proved that. And my dad is not big and clever it is you chavs in your so called hot hatches that try to be clever by cutting us up!!!! And your old scrap cars cause more damage than 4x4s.

Oooh, touchy :) I might be an idiot but you can leave off the typical.

Look if you off road in a 4x4 no problem (dependent on where you are of course!. Most don't. Most pootle about around town. And I'll have you know I'm no hot hatch/mobile-scrapyard driving chav. I'm a dull middle aged man behind the wheel of a sensible four year old Scenic. So there!

paulyoung666
02-03-2005, 08:13
Lucky for us then that Allie is an outdoor extremeer then arent we. And Scenic thats French so we do not like then. You just should not wind her up the wrong way. and her dads trooper has come in very handy for us plenty of times. I should very carefully think before you write next time and then maybe you might not get on the wrong side of people!!!!

andyl
02-03-2005, 08:52
Lucky for us then that Allie is an outdoor extremeer then arent we. And Scenic thats French so we do not like then. You just should not wind her up the wrong way. and her dads trooper has come in very handy for us plenty of times. I should very carefully think before you write next time and then maybe you might not get on the wrong side of people!!!!

Can you tell me how to wind her up the right way then? ;) Bothers me not if I'm on allie's wrong side. I said why I don't like 4x4s when they're not used off road, in a fairly lighthearted fashion - for which I became a "typical idiot". I though I took that insult rather well meself. Vive la France!!

paulyoung666
02-03-2005, 09:26
No not really, she does not like rude and arrogant men! Do you think she is really bothered anyway. I know what she would say anyway prat! springs to mind. Trust me mate you do not want to be on the wrong side of her anyway. So If I were you I would just drop it. And trust me French Cars are a non non!!

andyl
02-03-2005, 09:33
No not really, she does not like rude and arrogant men! Do you think she is really bothered anyway. I know what she would say anyway prat! springs to mind. Trust me mate you do not want to be on the wrong side of her anyway. So If I were you I would just drop it. And trust me French Cars are a non non!!

Ok let's all just agree with your wife then. Not quite in the spirit of a debate but anything for a quiet life eh.

Nonsense.

andyl
03-03-2005, 09:30
From today's Guardian:

"Congested suburban streets clogged by cumbersome 4x4s carrying children to and from school could be a thing of the past with a new range of silent and non-polluting, French-designed electric cars unveiled at the motor show here." http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/story/0,3604,1429045,00.html

Heh, heh! ;)

allieyoung666
03-03-2005, 09:33
hybrid cars, you can get them now, and I have not seen many of them on the road.

punky
03-03-2005, 09:40
From today's Guardian:

"Congested suburban streets clogged by cumbersome 4x4s carrying children to and from school could be a thing of the past with a new range of silent and non-polluting, French-designed electric cars unveiled at the motor show here." http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/story/0,3604,1429045,00.html

Heh, heh! ;)

Interesting how that article jumps from size, to emissions in one sentence.

andyl
03-03-2005, 10:14
I was just teasing. I'm a very naughty boy but that opening sentence involving the damnation of 4x4 drivers and the celebration of an environmentally friendly French car was an irresistible temptation. I will do my lines.

I must not try and wind up the 4x4 community
I must not try and wind up the 4x4 community.......

:D :D :D :D

th'engineer
03-03-2005, 16:17
If 4x4 drivers are so big and bleedin' clever why I am seeing them so frequently avoiding the speed bumps around here?!

because we can:D

I must not try and wind up the 4x4 community.......

:D :D :D :D

your learning:LOL:

iadom
03-03-2005, 16:56
What about vehicles that are longer and wider than some 4&4's e.g a Volvo estate?
My Volvo V70 estate is 180 cm wide. The only 4x4's that are smaller are the dinky Suzuki Jimny, the small Diahatsu (sp) and the Rav4, these are toy 4x4's.
I can get more 'stuff' in my Volvo than almost any 4x4. It is infinately more comfortable to drive and handle than a 4x4 and as safe or safer than any of them.

gazzae
03-03-2005, 17:18
My Volvo V70 estate is 180 cm wide. The only 4x4's that are smaller are the dinky Suzuki Jimny, the small Diahatsu (sp) and the Rav4, these are toy 4x4's.
I can get more 'stuff' in my Volvo than almost any 4x4. It is infinately more comfortable to drive and handle than a 4x4 and as safe or safer than any of them.

The X-Trail is narrower as well

iadom
03-03-2005, 17:28
The X-Trail is narrower as well
The old model is, but only by .035 cm.:) I think the latest model is a little wider.

Earl of Bronze
03-03-2005, 17:31

Most likely all very true mate, but if given the chance in the next month or two, I'll be going to buy a Land Rover T90 tdi. That gives me the option of driving a vehicle I was intimately familiar with when in the army. Is built like a tank, and gives me the option of going offroad at the weekends, as I have every intention of koining a Land Rover club.

Plus it will allow me to safely transverse the lane to my uncles farm, without bottoming out a conventional car or having to drive in the hedgerow to avoid potholes more suited to a tank-track.

Stuart
03-03-2005, 17:34

Most likely all very true mate, but if given the chance in the next month or two, I'll be going to buy a Land Rover T90 tdi. That gives me the option of driving a vehicle I was intimately familiar with when in the army. Is built like a tank, and gives me the option of going offroad at the weekends, as I have every intention of koining a Land Rover club.

Plus it will allow me to safely transverse the lane to my uncles farm, without bottoming out a conventional car or having to drive in the hedgerow to avoid potholes more suited to a tank-track.

I think iadom was comparing to the "toy" 4x4s (Suzukis, Daihatsus, Vauxhalls etc), not the real big boys like the Land Rover..

gazzae
03-03-2005, 17:34
The old model is, but only by .035 cm.:) I think the latest model is a little wider.

Not according to Nissan's website.

iadom
03-03-2005, 18:03

When I first started work I was an agricultural technician ( farm worker ) ;) drove my first Land Rover, over 35 years ago. I was once driving back from Chatsworth House in Derbyshire (we over wintered cattle there ) coming back through the main road in the middle of Stockport when the two 30 cwt bullocks in the trailer decided to have a rumble, it was a bit hairy to say the least. That said that is the place where these vehicles belong, not on the school run. I used to tow a large caravan with a Vovlo as well.

Not according to Nissan's website.
I had a look but couldn't find the specs for the 2005 model.

allieyoung666
03-03-2005, 18:32
Our next car will defs going to be a warrior, they are just so versitile and there big and chunky, we have a rover 216 si and I hate it is to small and it cannot carry anything

iadom
03-03-2005, 18:35
Our next car will defs going to be a warrior, they are just so versitile and there big and chunky, we have a rover 216 si and I hate it is to small and it cannot carry anything
What you really 'need', is a Hummer.:p: :angel:

Earl of Bronze
03-03-2005, 18:38

What !? :Yikes:

Pile of kack that gets about 5 miles to the gallon, sod that !!!!

allieyoung666
03-03-2005, 18:55
Er havent they been recalled due to a techincal fault on the axel???? no thanks a nice warrior will do us for now

Tuftus
03-03-2005, 20:43

Dont you have to sign the kyoto treaty to own one of those???

:p:

allieyoung666
03-03-2005, 20:47
yeah that is true and dont they take up the whole of the m62???? no only kidding, they are Chav cars sorry

tkiely
03-03-2005, 20:55
warriors are all show and no go! I thought my Ford explorer was based on a 70's crap pickup till I tried a warrior, then I found who really had bought the old blueprints!

Even the Bronco that the Exploder is based on was a limo compared to the mitzi pile of springs and chrome.

If all you want is big wheels and image, then go for it.

warriors are for (slow) girls

AND I can fit 2 volvos in my boot with the seats up!

th'engineer
04-03-2005, 10:23
warriors are all show and no go! I thought my Ford explorer was based on a 70's crap pickup till I tried a warrior, then I found who really had bought the old blueprints!

Even the Bronco that the Exploder is based on was a limo compared to the mitzi pile of springs and chrome.

If all you want is big wheels and image, then go for it.

warriors are for (slow) girls

!

You need a decent jap model not ford or renault
Isuzu( trooper, frontera rodeo MU ) mitsubishi (shogun or similar) ultimate 4x4 is a landcruiser

Earl of Bronze
04-03-2005, 15:49
You need a decent jap model not ford or renault
Isuzu( trooper, frontera rodeo MU ) mitsubishi (shogun or similar) ultimate 4x4 is a landcruiser

Bahhhhhhh, I wouldnt touch anything except a Land Rover in the 4x4 market. ;)

allieyoung666
04-03-2005, 17:07
My dad has a trooper and it is 10years old and it is beautiful, but you cannot get the trooper anymore or we would have got one, so the warrior is the next choice, my mate has one and she has a farm and swears by it, she calls it the ultimate mud plugger and it has not got stuck once!!!!!!

th'engineer
05-03-2005, 08:49
My dad has a trooper and it is 10years old and it is beautiful, but you cannot get the trooper anymore or we would have got one, so the warrior is the next choice, my mate has one and she has a farm and swears by it, she calls it the ultimate mud plugger and it has not got stuck once!!!!!!

try a isuzu rodeo

Bahhhhhhh, I wouldnt touch anything except a Land Rover in the 4x4 market. ;)

must have deep pockets then

allieyoung666
05-03-2005, 20:09
had a test drive today andI am smitten with the warrior. My dad wants us to get a Kia Sorrento, but I am not 2 sure, I feel that it is more looks than performance. Thanks for the advice about the rodeo, we had a look a while ago, but we wernt keen

andyl
14-04-2005, 14:21
"They are adored by off-road rally drivers and Chelsea mums alike. But the popularity of four-wheel drive "sports utility vehicles" is hampering efforts to cut air pollution on Britain's roads..........Although the Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders said the situation was in line with that in other European countries, it blamed the slowdown on soaring sales of so-called "Chelsea tanks", which have drawn derision from campaigners who argue that they are inappropriate for urban use. " http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk_news/story/0,3604,1459007,00.html

:Sprint:

homealone
14-04-2005, 14:27
I was quite impressed by the Fiat Panda 4x4 on '5th Gear' this week - definitely not a gas guzzler, but seemingly more than capable off road.

(it didn't even look too naff - well compared to the old 'rectangular' one, anyway) :)

(repeat is tomorrow Ch 5)

handyman
14-04-2005, 14:36
had a test drive today andI am smitten with the warrior. My dad wants us to get a Kia Sorrento, but I am not 2 sure, I feel that it is more looks than performance. Thanks for the advice about the rodeo, we had a look a while ago, but we wernt keen

Hi, If your wanting a sorento then you could go to stoneacre and pay full whack or you could save money by going to www.buykiadirect.co.uk (http://www.buykiadirect.co.uk/) and get one at cost price. Be very carefull if you require finance from them and if you want pm me if your gonna buy one and i'll give you some tips to save £1000's

Dont worry about performance the sorrento was 4x4 of the year, you might also want to look at the diesel sportage which is a bit smaller.
I think both are excellent.

HM
edit buy direct is the stoneacre internet arm so the car would still come from their m/boro branch but cost you less. I'd go for a test drive of it them get the price. then leave. They are told to ask the question ' if the figures are right will you buy it today' If they dont get a yes to this then they will not tell you the price of the car or give you a finance quote. Never be fooled by it x% on finance as that will almost certainly be wrong or have hidden things on the invoice.

Earl of Bronze
14-04-2005, 17:32
must have deep pockets then

Insurance claim, which looks like it will now take another 6 - 12 months to come through. :bigcry:

I've been checking out the prices on t'internet and a 3 year old T90 tdi for around £13,500 seems to be the average.

andyl
14-04-2005, 18:54
No environmentalists out there then?! :)

allieyoung666
14-04-2005, 19:04
Hi, If your wanting a sorento then you could go to stoneacre and pay full whack or you could save money by going to www.buykiadirect.co.uk (http://www.buykiadirect.co.uk/) and get one at cost price. Be very carefull if you require finance from them and if you want pm me if your gonna buy one and i'll give you some tips to save £1000's

Dont worry about performance the sorrento was 4x4 of the year, you might also want to look at the diesel sportage which is a bit smaller.
I think both are excellent.

Hi we have just ordered it direct off an internet company Paul found. Thanks for the advice.

HM
edit buy direct is the stoneacre internet arm so the car would still come from their m/boro branch but cost you less. I'd go for a test drive of it them get the price. then leave. They are told to ask the question ' if the figures are right will you buy it today' If they dont get a yes to this then they will not tell you the price of the car or give you a finance quote. Never be fooled by it x% on finance as that will almost certainly be wrong or have hidden things on the invoice.

punky
14-04-2005, 19:19
No environmentalists out there then?! :)

Should be.... But there are also people out there who aren't compulsive interefering busy-bodies who think they have the divine right to tell people what entirely legal things they can or can't do.

andyl
14-04-2005, 19:38
Should be.... But there are also people out there who aren't compulsive interefering busy-bodies who think they have the divine right to tell people what entirely legal things they can or can't do.

Who's telling anybody what to do? Nobody here I think.

There are those out there who might argue that people should take decisions based on what is best for the future fitness of the planet. And they may also argue for tougher legislation because people aren't making those decisions for themselves. But nobody's telling you you can't have a Chelsea Tank. Well, yet anyway ;)

punky
14-04-2005, 22:01
Who's telling anybody what to do? Nobody here I think.

You might want to re-read the start of the thread again.

I deliberately though didn't aim that anyone specific so they can't come back at me and saying I am insulting them.

And they may also argue for tougher legislation because people aren't making those decisions for themselves.

Prescisely... it is for the government to tell people what they can and can't do, but if they are going to say people can't do something, they better have a damn good reason, and no other option.

iadom
15-07-2005, 17:36
Here is something to put th'eng's nose out.

4x4 ADDS UP TO WORSE DRIVERS.

New research reveals 4x4 drivers have a worse driving record than owners of other cars.
They are more likely to be convicted of dangerous driving, speeding and driving without due care than any other motorists and more likely to be at fault for an accident.
Leading financial intermediary Admiral has looked at the driving records of over 38,000 4x4 owners. It has found that the bad reputation they have amongst other road users may be justified.
Admiral managing director, Ceri Assiratti, commented: "4x4 drivers have come in for a lot of flak recently. We wanted to see what their driving record was like as a whole and sadly for them our research doesn't help their image. One thoery as to why they have a worse driving record is that perhaps they feel safer in their larger vehicles."
Admiral's research, through its database of over one million motorists, looked at the convictions and the number of accidents where they had been at fault. 4x4 owners are:
*11% more likely to be convicted of speeding.
*11% more likely to be convicted of dangerous driving.
*15% more likely to be convicted of driving without due care.
*27% more likely to be involved in an accident for which they are at fault.

:D

andyl
15-07-2005, 17:42
Surely there are stats missing?

* 93% are not very bright
* 88% of male 4x4 drivers suffer from penile inferiority complexes
* 86% of female drivers are keeping the UK peroxide industry afloat.
* 100% think "off road" means mounting the kerb when parking.

Only a joke people :D That means keep in ya cage Punky ;)

AndrewJ
15-07-2005, 18:27
Agreed AndyL they sound much more like the acutal stat's and not one of those compliled by people who live 3mile from work and have a 12litre Jag to get to work and back and never see the real world.

marky
17-08-2005, 02:56
sorry to drag this thread back but

i drive a 4x4
i have 4 kids
it has 7 seats (that leaves one spare)
it has a 2.8 turbo engine
it does between 25 & 35 mpg
and it takes up no more room than a mondeo estate (measured it)
its an isuzu trooper lwb
and yes i do use it off road (no not curbs)
and i have a clean licence
and i give way a lot because i'm a lazy driver that is never in a rush

ps... should this be in moans :)

andyl
17-08-2005, 08:53
sorry to drag this thread back but

i drive a 4x4
i have 4 kids
it has 7 seats (that leaves one spare)
it has a 2.8 turbo engine
it does between 25 & 35 mpg
and it takes up no more room than a mondeo estate (measured it)
its an isuzu trooper lwb
and yes i do use it off road (no not curbs)
and i have a clean licence
and i give way a lot because i'm a lazy driver that is never in a rush

ps... should this be in moans :)

Mark, thanks for being the exception that proves the rule!! :D

Angua
17-08-2005, 10:02
:soapbox:My sister in laws fella has one, but, he is a builder and they do have 4 children and can only afford to run one vehicle, so, marginally acceptable.

Apparently (according to a former RAC patrol man colleague) they are not even the best vehicle for towing a caravan.

As for the women (I am one too, so have the right to comment) who drive them, they have told me it's because they feel safe and can see the road and other traffic better. All I can say to that is if you are so lacking in confidence over your own driving ability that you have to drive a monster, what are you doing driving at all?

As for gas guzzling, any car that cannot do at least 30mpg should be taxed at a much higher rate (this would include some of those boy racers in their so called 1100 skirted boom boxes).:rant:

marky
17-08-2005, 10:18
.As for gas guzzling, any car that cannot do at least 30mpg should be taxed at a much higher rate (this would include some of those boy racers in their so called 1100 skirted boom boxes).

i so so so disagree with that(apart from the boy racers)
the official mpg for my car is about 24mpg
so i would go out and buy 2 cars instead smaller but officially capable of over 30mpg
so i would be taking up 24ft of road instead of 15ft not counting the gap in between :)

Stuart
17-08-2005, 10:25
i so so so disagree with that(apart from the boy racers)
the official mpg for my car is about 24mpg
so i would go out and buy 2 cars instead smaller but officially capable of over 30mpg
so i would be taking up 24ft of road instead of 15ft not counting the gap in between :)

I don't think Anqua's point was about road space. I think she was making a point that our planet has a limited (and rapidly dwindling) supply of Oil.

In fact, as I understand it, our oil supply is now likely to last just a few decades. So, in all likelyhood, we will run out of oil within both yours and my lifetime.

Angua
17-08-2005, 10:28
I don't think Anqua's point was about road space. I think she was making a point that our planet has a limited (and rapidly dwindling) supply of Oil.

In fact, as I understand it, our oil supply is now likely to last just a few decades. So, in all likelyhood, we will run out of oil within both yours and my lifetime.

Thank you :clap:

marky
17-08-2005, 11:03
i can see your point :tu:

but being a person that only spends a tenner a week on fuel it would be unfair to tar everybody with the same brush
for example my car is 17 yrs old so its not a fashion statement
its a very practical mode of transport
with a smaller car i would have to do 2 trips and spend £15 a week on fuel
i would go for a do you need it tax
small family small car
large family large car :D

basa
17-08-2005, 12:42
The one thing about 4x4s that I hate and no-one seems to have mentioned is visibility.

Not from inside, but when one pulls up alongside you when waiting to turn out of a junction - it suddenly goes dark and you can't see traffic approaching from that side. Or when following one, you can't see cars ahead braking until the lump in front slams on its brakes :Yikes:

The one other gripe is they appear so BIG. Maybe it's they way they are driven or they are BIG, but they seem to take up so much bloody room on our already congested roads.

IMO most 4x4 drivers feel safer in them and consequently drive with less consideration for others, feeling that in the event of a RTC they will always come of best.

marky
17-08-2005, 12:56
IMO most 4x4 drivers feel safer in them and consequently drive with less consideration for others, feeling that in the event of a RTC they will always come of best.

4x4s dont handle like a normal car and they dont brake like a normal car
they should be driven with respect or its roll over time
and i agree most are arrogant sobs with the might is right attitude

the new 4x4s are huge compared to mine but the same amount of seats :shrug: