PDA

View Full Version : Ready meals and home cooked food

Halcyon
22-02-2005, 12:25
Having seen the long list of Sudan1 affected products, I noticed that many apply to ready meals, fast food, and microwave pre-made dinners.

I have never been a fan of ready meals and prefer to cook my own food.
OK, so it takes a little longer to cook, but I believe they are a much healthier option over the chemically enhanced flavoured alternatives.
Often salt content and flavourings, artificial enhancers, and fat content is very high on these kind of meals.

I think that nearly everything premade (ready made, pre-packed, ready meals, frozen microwave ready dishes, etc) are all chemically enhanced and that the best food is home cooked from raw ingredients.

My next door neighbour told me last night how he used to work in a factory building machinery.
One of the products to be built was this chips dispenser that would be located in motorway and railway Station waiting rooms, etc.
You'd put in your money, a very finely chopped and processed chip batter would drop down into boiling oil and in less than 2 minutes you'd have your piping hot chips.

What he observed one day was a team that came in with a set of chemicals. The chips mixture was not holding together and breaking apart. He saw how they were adding little bits from several pots of chemicals to enable the chips to stick together, with no alteration to the actual taste, but an effective way to make sure the chip came out perfectly. The consumer would have been non the wiser.

They then went round and asked people to try them and my neighbour refused after having seen all this chmical lab being put in it.

The point Im making is that there are probably many products that have tonnes of bad chemicals in them and the Sudane1 incident is only the start of a wide range of products that will be discovered...or tried to to be hidden from us.

I avoid ready meals and pre-packaged rubbish as much as I can and although it might take longer to peel some potatoes and boil them and do the cooking, I know what I am eating.

Whenever I've heard people eating prawn flavoured crisps or barbecued flavour I just think how on earth can crisps become that flavour. All these enhancers and flavourings have been created in labs and it just seems wrong. I'd rather eat a cooked jacket potato with a piece of butter and some fresh prawns over the top.

Often you can cook something twice as nice at home with basic natural ingredients that tastes much nicer than any of these ready meal products.

So, Do you cook or are you a ready meal fanatic ?
Nothing in my opinion beats a home cooked meal.

danielf
22-02-2005, 12:32
We cook properly when eating at home (it's a bit of a hobby of ours), but I am tempted by ready made meals/takeouts when I eat alone. I just don't like cooking for myself very much.

Ramrod
22-02-2005, 12:41
We prepare pretty much everything ourselves apart from the occasional take-away................

Charlie_Bubble
22-02-2005, 12:53
Cooking your own food is fine, but after struggling home on the M25 at night and barely getting in before 7 most nights I really can't be arsed! I eat out or takeaways most of the time.

ian@huth
22-02-2005, 13:02
When you eat out you cannot be sure that the food you are eating is freshly prepared and cooked, a frozen ready meal that has just been heated or yesterdays leftovers that have been rewarmed today. I dread to think what some unscrupulous establishments may be doing including reusing what customers may have left on their plates. The front of the restaurant may look perfect but what goes on in the back?

homealone
22-02-2005, 13:08
Interesting thread.

First off, to declare an interest I do work in the food industry and the company I work for makes a large number of 'ready meals'.

Secondly, I do agree that preparing your own meals from the basic ingredients is preferable to having a ready made one.

However, it isn't necessarily the case that 'ready meals' are to be thought of as somehow 'unhealthy', although Halcyon's example of the chips, I will concede, sounded well dodgy.

A large part of my job concerns screening incredibly detailed specifications for the ingredients we use, in order to ensure that we comply with the law, our customers policies & public opinion. For example, I check to ensure we use no genetically modified ingredients, that all additives are permitted & not used to excess and that the components of the ingredient are properly described to avoid misleading the consumer.

Dealing with retailers, as we do, we have to comply with a minefield of policies regarding our products. For example we can only use natural flavours in Iceland recipies. Recently we have been involved in a major exercise to reduce salt levels in our products.

So while I accept that having Pot Noodle & chips 7 days a week, is not a healthy or balanced diet, I wouldn't like anyone to think that the food industry is being underhand or devious, in any way - the ingredients are on the pack, as is, usually, the information on levels of fat, salt, etc .

Unfortunately this Sudan dye incident has had a serious effect on the industry, but previous scares have been & gone with far less publicity - you wouldn't believe the work caused by having to certify ALL dairy products during the Foot & Mouth outbreak, for example.

So, sorry, a bit of a ramble, & I re-iterate my second point, but please don't think that the food industry doesn't listen to its customers - we take their views very seriously indeed.

gazzae
22-02-2005, 13:09
Like Charlie_Bubble when I get home from work I can't be bothered cooking so during the week I usually just eat ready meals, but at weekends I try to cook a meal.

orangebird
22-02-2005, 13:56
I love to cook if I have guest, but I don't usually cook just for me. Buying fresh ingredients for one always turns into a bit of a waste. I also work two jobs, and don't have time to cook a full meal inbetween workplaces. :shrug:

Mr_love_monkey
22-02-2005, 14:23
So while I accept that having Pot Noodle & chips 7 days a week, is not a healthy or balanced diet, I wouldn't like anyone to think that the food industry is being underhand or devious, in any way - the ingredients are on the pack, as is, usually, the information on levels of fat, salt, etc .

True, but to most people what exactly do those details mean? - not a lot I should think... I remember reading somewhere about ready meals having most, if not all, of the daily requirements of salt needed by an average person (apologies if I'm wrong there) - I doubt most people know how many grams of salt per day is considered 'healthy'.... but don't get me wrong, I'm not blaming the ready meal companies for this, after all, they're are not forcing anyone to eat these things, people have the choice at the end of the day - and if people are that concerned about what they eat, maybe they should find out about is healthy, and then check the labels and make their decisions.

People have to be sensible about their diets, there's nothing wrong with the odd ready meal, any more than there is anything wrong with the odd fry-up - the problem is when people start only having these things, and thinking it is a balanced diet (and then complaining that its the ready meal/fast food/supermarket insdustry that has _made_ them eat it).

homealone
22-02-2005, 14:41
True, but to most people what exactly do those details mean? - not a lot I should think... I remember reading somewhere about ready meals having most, if not all, of the daily requirements of salt needed by an average person (apologies if I'm wrong there) - I doubt most people know how many grams of salt per day is considered 'healthy'.... but don't get me wrong, I'm not blaming the ready meal companies for this, after all, they're are not forcing anyone to eat these things, people have the choice at the end of the day - and if people are that concerned about what they eat, maybe they should find out about is healthy, and then check the labels and make their decisions.

People have to be sensible about their diets, there's nothing wrong with the odd ready meal, any more than there is anything wrong with the odd fry-up - the problem is when people start only having these things, and thinking it is a balanced diet (and then complaining that its the ready meal/fast food/supermarket insdustry that has _made_ them eat it).

good points, we are starting to print information on packs about recommended daily intake for salt, fat etc, but I agree most people would not be able to quote a figure without looking it up.

The proposed 'traffic light' system won't help things in my opinion, I think it will just confuse people, having a product with a low fat green light, may have a red light for sugar & salt & vice versa.

I totally agree that a sensible approach is all that is required - cheese has high levels of saturated fat & salt, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't eat cheese, just be aware not to overdo it.:)

I don't think we could cope with the 'old' way of doing things, where perishable stuff like meat, bread, fish was purchased on the day it was to be used, in different shops. Having the 'convenience' of fridges & freezers & buying everything at the supermarket is a mixed blessing, but one that seems to have reduced a lot of peoples knowledge & interest in the food they eat.

Luckily the trend towards farmers markets & fresh/organic products is on the rise, so some compromise is possible. :)

Wolf
22-02-2005, 15:24
i take ready meals to work as bread just doesn't cut it. I like the ASDA ready meals. At home it is always cooked. I like to experiment with herbs and spices. Fair enough this sudan 1 could shorten your life but so could going to work or even staying at home. We can worry about everything we hear. Alcohol will kill you and it won't. Coffee will kill you and it won't. Scientists can only guess at these things by the sounds of it.

andygrif
22-02-2005, 22:04
However, it isn't necessarily the case that 'ready meals' are to be thought of as somehow 'unhealthy', although Halcyon's example of the chips, I will concede, sounded well dodgy.

I think I would cautiously agree with you here. Like most people's lives these days sometimes (most weekdays) there simply isn't enough time in the evening to prepare and cook a hearty meal - so I do rely on prepared foods. I use the word prepared as most often these are not ready meals in the traditional sense, these are two or three components of a meal that go into an oven at some point over the following 30 mins.

I'm quite careful as to what I eat, not only from a taste point of view but also what goes into it. It's very easy to overdose on your fat intake with many prepared foods and some things (like most of Sainsbury's repertoire) just have no taste at all - or have no taste at all so they load it with sugar or salt.

Unfortunately this Sudan dye incident has had a serious effect on the industry, but previous scares have been & gone with far less publicity - you wouldn't believe the work caused by having to certify ALL dairy products during the Foot & Mouth outbreak, for example.

I think we have to co-shoulder the blame ourselves (along with the supermarkets) for these kind of outbreaks and scares. Supermarkets have sold us the convenience foods with great vigour, as they cost little make and can sell for far more than the raw ingredients that we would otherwise buy. We want products to last longer in the cupboard or fridge, we want consistent fruit and veg (and the supermarkets want everything the same shape and size for easy and cheap shipping), we want seasonal products all year round - these things come at a price, and that price is additives in almost everything we eat today (including 'fresh' fruit and veg).

On top of this the supermarkets' corporate desires for market domination has led to overly agressive behaviour with its suppliers to reduce the cost to them to extremely low profit margins, sometimes no profit margin. That means that suppliers cut corners, which is how we get things like foot and mouth and the Sudan 1 scares happening.

I learned about the crap that goes into out bread a few months ago, and I went out and bought a breadmaker - it lasts longer, tastes better, is cheaper and doesn't have artery-clogging fats in that supermarket bread does. I also buy all my fruit and veg from a farm shop now, not an organic one, but you can taste how much fresher things are - so I'm assuming that means they're better for you.

Paulie
22-02-2005, 23:57
Sorry guys, but i couldn`t resist getting a link in. Get you recipies down at http://www.hamburger-deluxe.co.uk/ :D

Halcyon
23-02-2005, 00:16
Some interesting replies there.
As has been said it seems to be a matter of common sense and being able to eat in moderation and in correct quanitites of each type of food, favouring the natural home made food over ready meals.

Its true there are times when it is impossible to cook a whole meal as coming back from a long journey or late from work makes you in no mood to want to cook. I just would make sure that I really choose my products carefully in the supermarket and often stock up on fruit that I can eat anytime of day.

I do not tolerate salt and find a lot of the ready meals too salty, and dont even get me started on crisps. It has been good to see the recent changes in addressing salt content and reducing the amounts in products.

What I do feel is that some young people may be becoming dependant on fast foods and ready meal foods and that is where they can develop problems.
There are some recipe books that are avilable in the shops that show how you can make a tasty dish in a quick amount of time that will be much more healthy for you.

Substituing white bread for a whole grain brown bread or adding cucumber and lettuce to a sandwhich...its all simple.
Or just bunging an onion, carrottes, potatoes, leeks, and whatever other vegetables in a blender and making a soup is quick and easy to make.

Some companies do offer some ready meals that are very well prepared and as Homealone said, some companies have strict policies and work towards making their products with only natural produce and low in salt and fat, which is a good thing.
If only more companies were like this, it would be great.

danielf
23-02-2005, 00:24
Sorry guys, but i couldn`t resist getting a link in. Get you recipies down at http://www.hamburger-deluxe.co.uk/ :D

Do I detect a slight whiff of spam there? ;)

This is your own site you posted about earlier today isn't it ? :D

homealone
23-02-2005, 01:20

This is your own site you posted about earlier today isn't it ? :D

dunno - we use a breadmaker, too ;)

benefit of doubt?

Paulie
23-02-2005, 08:38

Only a Fritter ;)

SMHarman
23-02-2005, 10:00
The ready meals made by Binghams (?) sold principally in Waitrose seem a far better quality than many, of course these require actual cooking, not just putting in a microwave.

Paulie
23-02-2005, 10:07
I always like to look at the "best by" date, and sometimes it`s damn scarey. How on earth can something last like SIX months and be any good for you.

Millay
23-02-2005, 10:55
Im currently going through some lifestyle changes, six months ago, I gave up salt, this includes adding it to cooking, and prepared food. I know find that much ready prepared food, tastes far to salty, I brought a pizza slice from my local sandwich shop and was nearly sick it was so salty.

The problem I have is being single, I find it difficult to cook without a lot of wastage, I have been known to eat far more than my fair share of take aways, but now there being cut out.

One of the best ways to get away from quick ready meals in my opinion is a Slow cooker, its so simple,, bung in the ingredients in the morning, when you come home from work you have a steamy hot dish ready for you....

oh and im not looking this up but i beleive its 6 grams of salt aday before it becomes to much. Most ready made sandwiches seemt have around 3grams of salt in them :)

STONEISLAND
23-02-2005, 10:58
MillayJust to add to that I have a partner and there is still loads of waste when I cook. Meats packs etc and designed for familys.

Millay
23-02-2005, 11:05
Yea i imagine your right skunk. I have found my own way around this problem, and that is to abandon supermarkets, by using my local butchers veg shop etc, I can by everything in small enough amounts not to have any waste. but its just ensuring I can get into the village during working hours

homealone
23-02-2005, 11:06
<snip>

oh and im not looking this up but i beleive its 6 grams of salt aday before it becomes to much. Most ready made sandwiches seemt have around 3grams of salt in them :)

you are correct, the recommended maximum daily intake of salt is 6 grams a day - remember it is less for children

The daily recommended maximum for children depends on their age:

1 to 3 years - 2 g salt a day (0.8g sodium)
4 to 6 years - 3g salt a day (1.2g sodium)
7 to 10 years - 5g salt a day (2g sodium)
11 and over - 6g salt a day (2.5g sodium)

These are the recommended maximums for children. It is better for them to have less.

source http://www.salt.gov.uk

:)

STONEISLAND
23-02-2005, 11:07
Yea i imagine your right skunk. I have found my own way around this problem, and that is to abandon supermarkets, by using my local butchers veg shop etc, I can by everything in small enough amounts not to have any waste. but its just ensuring I can get into the village during working hours

Good point the only problem then is going round all the shops and by the time you get your goods it works out at the same price.

Having said that I bet the qulitey is loads better. ;)

Nugget
23-02-2005, 11:11
The easiest way (probably) to work out salt levels if they're not declared on pack is to multiply the sodium figure in the nutritional information by 2.5 (the actual figure is 2.54, but you'll get close enough).

Mr_love_monkey
23-02-2005, 11:17
The easiest way (probably) to work out salt levels if they're not declared on pack is to multiply the sodium figure in the nutritional information by 2.5 (the actual figure is 2.54, but you'll get close enough).

I thought that was how you converted to inches??? :)

I wonder how many people actually manage to stick to that limit?

Nugget
23-02-2005, 11:20
I thought that was how you converted to inches??? :)

I wonder how many people actually manage to stick to that limit?

Isn't salt measured in inches? You know, if it's up to your knees, you've probably got a little too much on your chips :D

ian@huth
23-02-2005, 11:21
Yea i imagine your right skunk. I have found my own way around this problem, and that is to abandon supermarkets, by using my local butchers veg shop etc, I can by everything in small enough amounts not to have any waste. but its just ensuring I can get into the village during working hoursMany of the big supermarkets have butchers in the store who will cut whatever you want, our local Morrison's do. Even if they don't you are not forced to eat the whole of the portion you buy. We usually buy large joints of meat and cut them into smaller joints, freezing what we aren't using that day.

Millay
23-02-2005, 11:41
Can you take your own dead animals and get your supermarket butcher to joint them for you? tehe. I know you cant, but my local butcher is quite happy to prepare your own meat...

Supermarkets are great on price and convinience but they are just not as good as your local retailer.. I showed someone a green prepper I had brought from my local veg shop, they didnt realise it was one, it was twice the size and quite a strange shape compared to the uniform ones found in supermarkets...

butt thats a different topic.

On topic:
My local deli does ready meals. There georgeous basically they are made using local ingredients and then pacaged up ready for heating, they taste great and you can actually talk to the person who made them, and find out what really went in there.

id like to add that where i live we apreciate food somewhat more than most small towns we even have our own festival about it:

http://www.emsworthfoodfestival.org.uk/

(i apoligise for the website design, not all websites from emsworth are like this ;)

Mr_love_monkey
23-02-2005, 12:06
Supermarkets are great on price and convinience but they are just not as good as your local retailer.. I showed someone a green prepper I had brought from my local veg shop, they didnt realise it was one, it was twice the size and quite a strange shape compared to the uniform ones found in supermarkets...

Yeah, supermarkets QA system is somewhat extreme - and a lot of producers complain about this - apples all need to be a certain size, a certain colour, texture, and need to pass a pressue test for firmness - there can't be any blemishes or marks - anything that doesn't match up, gets sent back to the producer and isn't paid for.
In order to meet the requirements you do find that producers are having to spray food with more chemicals, to ensure they are 'perfect' - thus removing any kind of variety in your food.
You go to your local supermarket looking, for example for small apples - for whatever reason, maybe you have a small child and a whole apple is a bit much for them - whatever, you try and find a small apple - it won't happen, because it won't match up with what the supermarkets are telling the producers to grow.
Supermarkets, have an incredibly aggresive attitude when it comes to their producers, and usually look for anyway possible to shaft them - often renegotiating deals a few days before the produce is due to be delivered, and simply saying, 'sell it to us at this price, or we won't take it' - and the producers have no choice but to accept it, because no one else will take the food at that late date, and they simply can't afford to lose all of that money - often, with the special promotions that supermarkets run, the actual cost is passed back to a supplier - and what's more, more often than not, supermarkets won't pay for produce that they don't sell

Supermarkets have changed the way people shop - but have removed a lot of the choice that people have - supermarkets sell mainstream items that people always buy, and the lesser known vegetables and variations don't get a look in - and as a result in a lot of areas you are seeing the death of the local shop, because they simply can't compete with supermarkets, especially when it comes to key value items, such as bread, milk and so on, which people always buy, and the prices of these are the things that people look at when deciding where to shop.
We are experiencing a situation that is referred to as 'food deserts' - where you have shopping areas, but no where you can actually buy food any more, certainly in a lot of inner city areas - because small shops have closed due to the competition from the mega mart...

homealone
23-02-2005, 12:34
<snip>
Supermarkets, have an incredibly aggresive attitude when it comes to their producers, and usually look for anyway possible to shaft them - often renegotiating deals a few days before the produce is due to be delivered, and simply saying, 'sell it to us at this price, or we won't take it' - and the producers have no choice but to accept it, because no one else will take the food at that late date, and they simply can't afford to lose all of that money - often, with the special promotions that supermarkets run, the actual cost is passed back to a supplier - and what's more, more often than not, supermarkets won't pay for produce that they don't sell

<snip>...

spot on, I don't know if everyone realises that it is the manufacturers that pay for all the promotions in the major supermarkets (Iceland being a notable exception - they share the cost 50/50). Not only that, but they also charge us for the full expenses of any visits they make, send us the bills for any tests they have done on our products, expect us to fund any market research they do - the list goes on. It effectively costs us to sell through the major retailers, but it is the only way we can get our own brands onto their shelves.

One retailer worthy of mention is the Co-op, they genuinely operate an ethical trading regime, selling Fairtrade produce, for example.

- the rest would only do it if it gave them a marketing advantage, Co-op do it because they care.