PDA

View Full Version : Anyone upgraded from dial up 56k to dial up broadband?

PCA
21-02-2005, 14:21
Has anyone here upgraded from 56k to adsl BB (off-net) and what were your experiences, good or bad? I am thinking of changing over to ntl's new "BB with anytime calls" package at £24.99 per month. I understand you can only keep your original email addresses and website address by phoning Broadband technical support when you are already 56k customer and want to upgrade to BB - is this correct? Just wondered what others might have experienced, also if anyone had any problems with their standing orders as regards payments, etc?
Was it a smooth transition?? many thanks
Dee :erm:

Tezcatlipoca
21-02-2005, 19:53
:welcome:

I've no idea what ntl's off-net ADSL service itself is like, but would personally recommend against it, simply because calls to ntl Freedom tech support are via a premium rate number. I remember a thread here a short while back about someone who racked up quite a large phone bill from having to repeatedly phone ntl's expensive Freedom tech support line.

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=22993&highlight=freedom

Maybe have a look around at other ADSL providers...PlusNet, Zen, Nildram etc. :)

th'engineer
21-02-2005, 20:05
Has anyone here upgraded from 56k to adsl BB (off-net) and what were your experiences, good or bad? I am thinking of changing over to ntl's new "BB with anytime calls" package at £24.99 per month. I understand you can only keep your original email addresses and website address by phoning Broadband technical support when you are already 56k customer and want to upgrade to BB - is this correct? Just wondered what others might have experienced, also if anyone had any problems with their standing orders as regards payments, etc?
Was it a smooth transition?? many thanks
Dee :erm:

I did many years ago never looked back go for it

Neil
21-02-2005, 20:11
Has anyone here upgraded from 56k to adsl BB (off-net)?

I did many years ago never looked back go for it

Pay attention at the back.....;)

PCA
21-02-2005, 22:59
Thanks for replies and hope to hear more of others' experiences. Yes, I am weary of having to use the Tech Support number but thankfully to date have not had any trouble over last few years with my current 56k set-up. I am thinking of staying with NTL for BB however as the free voice-calls that are included in package are tempting! I don't think any of those other ISPs mentioned offer these where I live in N.Ireland. Would like to know if anyone had any problems with keeping their original email addresses and NTL website address when they upgrared to BB? Thanks again for all input...
Dee

j52c
27-02-2005, 09:23
Hi
I changed over from dialup in January to Freedom Classic with the £15 call credit. I rang Customer Services to order it and was told that i would automatically keep my email addresses and webspace, they were very helpful. However, I signed up in the middle of my monthly billing period and it sort of made my first payment a little expensive as they charge in advance for broadband, but, they gave me the first month free so that helped a bit. Tech support is expensive, my download speeds dropped massively at one point so had to ring them (was getting nowhere using email support). I knew it was nothing to do with my system, but the guy in India insisted going through all rubbish about resources, spyware, adware etc. The annoying part is it cost me 75p a minute to tell NTL they had a problem. It works fine most of the time but slows down over the weekend, usually is fine in the morning but by afternoon, download speeds do drop.

PCA
04-03-2005, 01:45
Just found this link > http://www.homecall.co.uk/They offer similar package to NTL's "BB with Anytime calls" package for same price, and no expensive technical help line to call if having problems. Will compare!.......
PCA

Forgot to mention they also give you more than double the webspace that NTL allow.....:Yikes:
pca