PDA

View Full Version : How do you pronounce 'chorizo' ?

cookie_365
20-02-2005, 13:37
Another meal out, another argument about how to pronounce 'chorizo' ....

Is it

CHORE - ITS - OWE
CORE - EE - SEW
CAR - ITH - OWE

or one of any number of other combinations ??

Anyone here have Spanish as their first language?

ian@huth
20-02-2005, 13:41
Look at http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=chorizo

gary_580
20-02-2005, 13:56
CHORE - ITS - OWE is correct

cookie_365
20-02-2005, 14:01
Ah, so it's either

CHORE EE SEW or
CHORE EE ZOWE

then

Cheers !

Bifta
20-02-2005, 14:08
It's pronounced choh ree thoh (according to a spanish friend of mine)

Paul
20-02-2005, 14:12
CORE-EYE-ZO(W) was my guess ......

LostintheNW
20-02-2005, 15:24
It's pronounced choh ree thoh (according to a spanish friend of mine)

That depends on what form of spanish your friends speaks, judging by the way he says to pronounce it he is from europe and not a latin american country

JohnHorb
20-02-2005, 15:26
Since he's Spanish, I imagine he (or she) is from Spain.:)

Bifta
20-02-2005, 16:09
That depends on what form of spanish your friends speaks, judging by the way he says to pronounce it he is from europe and not a latin american country

Ibiza as I recall, why he moved from their to London still mystifies me but he's handy to have around in a Tapas bar.

Graham
20-02-2005, 17:08
"How do you pronounce 'chorizo'?"

Personally I don't :D

Chris W
20-02-2005, 23:15
it is pronounced differently in different parts of spain, in the south, for example, it will be with a Z, whereas in CataluÃÃâ€*’±a it will be TH

i don't know about South American countries, but the variation in accent in Spain is just like the "class" or "clarss" debate here :)

orangebird
21-02-2005, 11:45
It's chor-ee-tho in the south. :)

it is pronounced differently in different parts of spain, in the south, for example, it will be with a Z, whereas in CataluÃÃâ€*’±a it will be TH

i don't know about South American countries, but the variation in accent in Spain is just like the "class" or "clarss" debate here :)

My dad lives in southern spain, speaks spanish, and 'z' is definitely pronounced 'th'..

Halcyon
21-02-2005, 11:49
Question is, was the meal nice and did you pronounce it correctly in the end ?

SMHarman
21-02-2005, 11:53
I'd recommend this...
http://waitrose.com/food_drink/recipes/recipesearch/Recipe/0312ws45-r04.asp

Chris W
21-02-2005, 14:09
It's chor-ee-tho in the south. :)

My dad lives in southern spain, speaks spanish, and 'z' is definitely pronounced 'th'..

hmm that's interesting... My sister's boyfriend (Gibraltese) says it is 'th' in Andalucia....

meh!

Bifta
21-02-2005, 14:36
hmm that's interesting... My sister's boyfriend (Gibraltese) says it is 'th' in Andalucia....

meh!

He'd be right then, it's also "th" in the Canaries.

orangebird
21-02-2005, 14:54

meh!

Er, most of southern spain is in the Andalucian region....including Malaga, Marbella, Ronda, Competa etc...

Chris W
21-02-2005, 16:30
Er, most of southern spain is in the Andalucian region....including Malaga, Marbella, Ronda, Competa etc...

yeh i know... "meh" was because my previous source of information was wrong ;)

orangebird
21-02-2005, 16:40
yeh i know... "meh" was because my previous source of information was wrong ;)

Methinks your sisters boyfriend needs a few geography lessons....

Chris W
21-02-2005, 16:46
Methinks your sisters boyfriend needs a few geography lessons....

why???? the first person i asked, told me in the South it is Z, and after you first comment i checked with Gaz (sisters b/f) who said in Andulacia it is TH, but he is not sure about other parts of spain.

I can assure you that he doesn't need Geography lessons... his house in Andalucia probably means he knows where the place is ;)

cookie_365
21-02-2005, 22:34
Wow - thanks for all the replies guys & gals :)

It was a great meal, and I'm happy to see that the pronounciation I selected this week of CORE-EE-THO has some basis in reality ...

... I'm sure my accent was about as convicingly spanish as a sombrero and a straw donkey though ...;)

Pollik
18-10-2006, 08:18
Never mind the 'z'...how do you pronounce the 'ch'?

As in 'church' or as in 'christ'?

I cheat...if I can't say the word, I don't buy it. /shrug (or just point!)

Wicked_and_Crazy
18-10-2006, 08:44
as in Church

andygrif
18-10-2006, 09:25
And how about the wh?

As in WHY the hell did this thread get dug up after 18 months? :LOL:

danielf
18-10-2006, 10:33
I cheat...if I can't say the word, I don't buy it. /shrug (or just point!)

I was going to ask. How do you deal with Cerveza? :D

orangebird
18-10-2006, 10:49

Thair-bairtha

Hugh
18-10-2006, 10:52

I pick it up, and I drink it! :D

danielf
18-10-2006, 10:54
Thair-bairtha

I tell you: It's downright criminal to come up with a name for beer that is difficult to pronounce (particularly when drunk):D

hatedbythemail
18-10-2006, 11:00
its pronounced spicy spanish sausage isnt it?

Hugh
18-10-2006, 11:00
I tell you: It's downright criminal to come up with a name for beer that is difficult to pronounce (particularly when drunk):D

How difficult can it be to say "San Miguel, por favor"? ;)

Here's a handy linky for this tricky subject.....
http://www.spanish-country-villa.com/beer/
"The first thing to learn is how to pronounce the word for beer - and, believe it or not, there are two ways of doing this. The word is spelled 'cerveza' and, if you are holidaying in the south, then your would pronounce this sairr-VAY-za. The capitalised words in the middle of the indicate where the stress or emphasis lies in the word. In the north, things get a little odd with the lisping accent used there and the word comes out as Thairr-BAY-tha. Please note that you are much more likely to understood if you roll the 'r' in the word."

So, in summary, if you want a beer in Spain, roll your Rs!

orangebird
18-10-2006, 11:07

Here's a handy linky for this tricky subject.....
http://www.spanish-country-villa.com/beer/
"The first thing to learn is how to pronounce the word for beer - and, believe it or not, there are two ways of doing this. The word is spelled 'cerveza' and, if you are holidaying in the south, then your would pronounce this sairr-VAY-za. The capitalised words in the middle of the indicate where the stress or emphasis lies in the word. In the north, things get a little odd with the lisping accent used there and the word comes out as Thairr-BAY-tha. Please note that you are much more likely to understood if you roll the 'r' in the word."

So, in summary, if you want a beer in Spain, roll your Rs!

They say Thairr-BAY-tha in the south too. Some of these sites really are a load of old pony.

danielf
18-10-2006, 11:09

Una Canja (a draft beer) works as well, though I believe the size of a canja varies from region to region. :)

lauzjp
18-10-2006, 11:23
does anyone know any arabic?

Hugh
18-10-2006, 11:30
does anyone know any arabic?

عفوا انا لا اتكلم العربية

;)

lauzjp
18-10-2006, 11:59
ooh! what does it say?! :dunce: I need to find out for mum-in-law (to be) how to say 'please take us to the coral suites in Ajman'

Hugh
18-10-2006, 12:15
ooh! what does it say?! :dunce: I need to find out for mum-in-law (to be) how to say 'please take us to the coral suites in Ajman'

I'm sorry - I was being (for lack of a better word) "humourous" - it translates to "I'm sorry, I do not speak Arabic" <my bad>:(

This link might help
http://www.omniglot.com/writing/arabic.htm

Good luck.

lauzjp
18-10-2006, 12:26
cool, thanking you! ;)

nicster
15-07-2008, 15:00
This is one that confuses me. I found this thread through googling "pronounce chorizo" (also to settle an argument) and felt compelled to join this site purely to comment.

I know that in Spain, at least in some parts anyway, "Z" is pronounced "TH" so to me the obvious pronunciation would be "chor-EETH-oh"

In England, where I live, and America, where it appears many users of this site reside, We pronounce "Z" like a softened "S" as in "Zuh". So If we were to disregard the Spanish accent when saying "Chorizo" and speak in our native tongue, we would surely be compelled to say "chor-EEZ-oh". Right?

Then where the heck did "chor-ITS-oh" come from? the only place that I can think of who pronounce "Z" as "TS" is Italy. as in "Pizza". The word is not Italian, and neither are we who have trouble pronouncing it. That one really baffles me.

Raistlin
15-07-2008, 15:02
[...]In England, where I live, and America, where it appears many users of this site reside[...]

1. :welcome: to Cable Forum

2. That's got to be the oldest thread I've seen resurrected in ages :D

3. Most of the people here live in the UK :)

nicster
15-07-2008, 15:06
lol well see, I'm a pedant. And it drives me crazy not being absolutely sure on something when I'm arguing its point. This was top link on Google search! I just had one of those heat of the moment rants. :D

Maggy
15-07-2008, 15:06
:D

3. Most of the people here live in the UK :)

And thus mangle other languages by anglicizing such words.:erm:

SMHarman
15-07-2008, 16:18
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/chorizo

Maggy
15-07-2008, 16:28
Now where can I find the UK version?;)

Nugget
15-07-2008, 16:30
lol well see, I'm a pedant. And it drives me crazy not being absolutely sure on something when I'm arguing its point. This was top link on Google search! I just had one of those heat of the moment rants. :D

You're a pedant? You'll probably fit in quite well then :D

altis
15-07-2008, 16:50
Now where can I find the UK version?;)
http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/content/knowhow/glossary/chorizo/

Maggy
15-07-2008, 17:39
Well that already varies from the US version.No wonder there is confusion for nicstar.

Cobbydaler
15-07-2008, 18:00
And thus mangle other languages by anglicizing such words.:erm:

As others do with Americanised spelling... :p: ;)

nicster
15-07-2008, 19:52
That Dictionary link, whether UK or not, argues my point perfectly so i'm sticking with that one :D
The Spanish pronounce it "so" or "tho" presumably depending on region. Everyone else pronounces it "zo". No mention of the random italian pronunciation everyone loves so much. Hurrah!

---------- Post added at 19:52 ---------- Previous post was at 19:47 ----------

and BBC say "tho". my thoughts exactly :D *smug* thanks!