PDA

View Full Version : Setting up PS2 Online-a few questions

paul11974
19-02-2005, 18:46
ntl do not seem to list any details on setting up the ps2 online so i have a few questions i hope you may be able to answer ::

Is the cost £5 a month ?

Is it £30 set up fee ?

Is it easy to install ?

also the television i want to connect it to is aprox 30ft away from where my ntl point is ! would this be a problem ?

can i set it up without the use of my pc ?

Also how many ps2 games are there that have net play ?

mick70
19-02-2005, 19:45
Easier than you think my friend:

1. buy a 10m cat 5 ethernet cable, about £5 to £10
2. TURN MODEM OFF
3. Plug in cable to back of modem
4. turn modem on,coonect cat 5 to back of ps2
5. connect to online play(you will need to register)

When ever you change from pc to ps2 turn medem off and on (cycle).
good games; Splinter cell pandora tomorrow,ratchet 3,fifa 2005:)

Further point.

To have a pc and ps2 on at the same time buy a cheap router to share the broadband connection, about £30 for a cheap 80211.b router.
Just post for more help.:)

paulyoung666
19-02-2005, 19:47
or get a router to save having to mess about unplugging cables and of course that means you can use both pc and ps2 at the same time :tu: :)

paul11974
19-02-2005, 21:01
i will be using a stb or is that not possible ?

also i was under the impression that ntl will supply all the equitment or will we have to go out and purchase more ?

i managed to find THIS (http://www.ntl.com/mediacentre/press/display.asp?id=637) which says ( The cost of getting started with NTL Home is low as there is no need for a separate router. The new service adds just £5 to the standard monthly cost of broadband access.) :confused:

Tezcatlipoca
19-02-2005, 22:43
ntl's "broadband & console service" is only for people who use a standalone cable modem (SACM) to connect, AFAIK it isn't available for people who use an STB instead such as yourself.

However....even if they did do the console service for STB users, I'd recommend staying clear of it! Waste of money!

You have three options:

1) Set-up Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) on the PC, & connect the PS2's network port to another network card in the PC. Cheap, although the drawback is that the PC has to be turned on if you want to use the PS2 online.

2) Do a direct connection. This is more complex for STB users than for SACM users, because the MAC address of every device you connect to the STB *must* be registered with ntl. As the PS2 has no web browser, you cannot use it to access the registration page & register the PS2's MAC address. So, what you'd have to do is clone the MAC address of the PS2 onto the PC's network card, & then go to the registration page using the PC. Then, when you want to use the PS2 instead, you just turn off the STB, connect the PS2 to it instead of the PC, turn it back on, & there you go.

3) Buy a router. They are very cheap, very easy to install, & very easy to use. A router will share the connection from the STB between the PC & PS2, so no need for ICS, & no need for MAC cloning & swapping leads.

Even if you could get the console service for STBs, it would still actually be *cheaper* to get a router. The console service is £2/month (£24/year...every year!), plus has a set-up fee - whereas a router will only set you back a *one off* cost of around 30 quid.

See these posts:

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showpost.php?p=302036&postcount=8

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showpost.php?p=302063&postcount=10

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showpost.php?p=303357&postcount=13

If you want to get a router (best option IMO), then have a look at once of these...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00005KAC7/qid%3D1095363696/sr%3D1-6/ref%3Dsr%5F1%5F3%5F6/202-2351332-5784618

paul11974
19-02-2005, 22:59
thanks matt

so i buy a router connect this to my pc then connect this to our ps2 then i call ntl and tell them i want the £2 a month ps2 package

surely it cant be that easy ? :confused:

mick70
19-02-2005, 23:39
Do not tell or pay ntl if you have a router, that is the beauty of a router, you can connect as many devices as you like and no one knows execept you!;)

Footnote; Netgear make some superb routers etc and are easy to install and configure.:)

Tezcatlipoca
19-02-2005, 23:43
thanks matt

so i buy a router connect this to my pc then connect this to our ps2 then i call ntl and tell them i want the £2 a month ps2 package

surely it cant be that easy ? :confused:

No! Have another look at my post :)

I said that you can't actually get the £2/month console service from ntl if you use an STB, like you do, & also said that, even if you could get it for STBs, it is a waste of money. You *do not need it*.

*All* you would need is a router. If you have a router, you do *not* need ntl's "console" service (which they don't do for STBs anyway AFAIK).

Easy....Get a router. Turn off STB, & everything else. Connect router's WAN port to the STB's ethernet port. Connect both the PC & PS2 to the router's LAN ports (using straight-through ethernet cables, not crossover ethernet cables). Turn on the STB, let it boot & settle. Turn on the router, let it boot & settle. Turn on the PC, & go through the registration process (http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/cmtips/register.html#pacereg) (to register the router's MAC address. Easy). Voila, all done. Now the PS2 & PC can both use the net at the same time, no need for ICS, no need for swapping cables, no need to pay ntl extra money.

paul11974
20-02-2005, 10:51
No! Have another look at my post :)

I said that you can't actually get the £2/month console service from ntl if you use an STB, like you do, & also said that, even if you could get it for STBs, it is a waste of money. You *do not need it*.

*All* you would need is a router. If you have a router, you do *not* need ntl's "console" service (which they don't do for STBs anyway AFAIK).

Easy....Get a router. Turn off STB, & everything else. Connect router's WAN port to the STB's ethernet port. Connect both the PC & PS2 to the router's LAN ports (using straight-through ethernet cables, not crossover ethernet cables). Turn on the STB, let it boot & settle. Turn on the router, let it boot & settle. Turn on the PC, & go through the registration process (http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/cmtips/register.html#pacereg) (to register the router's MAC address. Easy). Voila, all done. Now the PS2 & PC can both use the net at the same time, no need for ICS, no need for swapping cables, no need to pay ntl extra money.

many thanks again matt sorry if i sounded a bit thick thats cause i am :dunce:lol. This post has summed it up for me nicley one more question will this soon eat up my 15gb allowance ?

paulyoung666
20-02-2005, 10:55
many thanks again matt sorry if i sounded a bit thick thats cause i am :dunce:lol. This post has summed it up for me nicley one more question will this soon eat up my 15gb allowance ?

what 15gb allowance , atm you will be soft capped to 30gb a month not 15gb , cant see you having any problems :tu: :)

paul11974
20-02-2005, 11:08
what 15gb allowance , atm you will be soft capped to 30gb a month not 15gb , cant see you having any problems :tu: :)

thanks paul top class advice from everyone thankyou all my son will be proud of you :tu:

one more question :mad: will THIS CABLE (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=51179&item=5752833146&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW) be ok ?

paulyoung666
20-02-2005, 11:23
yes i believe a straight thru cable is what you want :)

paul11974
20-02-2005, 11:37
ok i am starting to feel like a pest now and this realy is the last question

IS THIS CABLE OK ? (http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00009VGT8/qid=1108899263/ref=pd_ka_0/026-5268814-8731609) many thanks

paulyoung666
20-02-2005, 17:14
ok i am starting to feel like a pest now and this realy is the last question

IS THIS CABLE OK ? (http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00009VGT8/qid=1108899263/ref=pd_ka_0/026-5268814-8731609) many thanks

believe me , you will find out when you are being a pest ;) :D , yes it is ok is my answer again :)

paul11974
20-02-2005, 21:32
believe me , you will find out when you are being a pest ;) :D , yes it is ok is my answer again :)
That cable i had my eye on comes with this user review( I knew this was not that easy ) ::

Reviewer: padda_man100 from Warley, United Kingdom United Kingdom
I am using this wire for Xbox Live. As you may know not everybodies Xbox is in the same room as your broadband connection, so I brought this to connect it up while it is in another room. It is a Cat5e ethernet crossover cable, with RJ45 connectors, which is exactly what you need to connect to Xbox live. It is the right item for you if your Xbox is in a diffrent room to and you what Live.

paulyoung666
20-02-2005, 21:38
That cable i had my eye on comes with this user review( I knew this was not that easy ) ::

Reviewer: padda_man100 from Warley, United Kingdom United Kingdom
I am using this wire for Xbox Live. As you may know not everybodies Xbox is in the same room as your broadband connection, so I brought this to connect it up while it is in another room. It is a Cat5e ethernet crossover cable, with RJ45 connectors, which is exactly what you need to connect to Xbox live. It is the right item for you if your Xbox is in a diffrent room to and you what Live.

as far as i know , a patch cable is straight thru not crossover , of course i could be completely wrong and i welcome clarification on this point :disturbd: :disturbd: :disturbd:

paul11974
21-02-2005, 19:30
___________________PLEASE___HELP ______________________________

what about the crosover addapter box that is currently pluged into my stb ?
And will i need the Network Access Disc ?

paul11974
22-02-2005, 15:55
someone out there must know ?

Tezcatlipoca
22-02-2005, 21:03
Crossover adapter box??

paulyoung666
22-02-2005, 21:18
Crossover adapter box??

i assume he means an adapter to convert a patch cable into a crossover cable :erm: :)

Tezcatlipoca
22-02-2005, 21:34
paul11974 - Do you use a Pace STB? Does it say "X-over" on the back, by the ethernet socket?

paul11974
22-02-2005, 21:52
paul11974 - Do you use a Pace STB? Does it say "X-over" on the back, by the ethernet socket?

yes i have a pace stb and yes i have a black box plugged in at the back with CROSSOVER ADDAPTER plugged into it

Tezcatlipoca
22-02-2005, 21:57
OK, then you either need:

a) A normal straight-through cable - not a crossover cable. You would then connect this to the crossover adapter that is plugged into the back of the STB.

or

b) A crossover cable. You'd have to remove the crossover adapter, & plug the crossover cable straight into the back of the STB.

Although, if you get a router, as I mentioned in an earlier post, you could use your existing cable & crossover adapter to connect that to the STB (& then get two straight-through cables - one for PC>router & one for PS2>router).

paul11974
22-02-2005, 22:00
OK, then you either need:

a) A normal straight-through cable - not a crossover cable. You would then connect this to the crossover adapter that is plugged into the back of the STB.

or

b) A crossover cable. You'd have to remove the crossover adapter, & plug the crossover cable straight into the back of the STB.

Although, if you get a router, as I mentioned in an earlier post, you could use your existing cable & crossover adapter to connect that to the STB (& then get two straight-through cables - one for PC>router & one for PS2>router).

so i would connect the router to the crossover box via a straight through cable ?

phew now all i need is a PS2 Network Adaptor which are out of stock everywhere :confused:

Tezcatlipoca
22-02-2005, 22:04
so i would connect the router to the crossover box via a straight through cable ?

Yeah, either that, or ditch the crossover adapter & connect the router straight to the back of the STB using a crossover cable.

paul11974
22-02-2005, 22:08
:tu: thankyou matt very much apreciated any ideas on where to get a PS2 Network Adaptor .....do argos do them ?

i have seen one here http://specialreserve.co.uk/Official_Sony_8514_r.html but grrrrrrrrrrrrrr it does not say if it comes with a disc

Tezcatlipoca
22-02-2005, 23:02
Dunno, Paul. I had a look at both the GAME & Gameplay websites, but neither one has it in stock.

The Argos website has no mention of it at all.

paul11974
28-02-2005, 21:16
ARGHHHHHHH MORE HELP NEEDED !

ok i have managed to connect the router today and all went ok ;) i am going to connect the ps2 tommorow but ( BUT ) i have just read the playstation website and it says that i should not connect the ps2 to the router with a straigh through cable it says i need a crossover cable ? any clues on this one anyone ?

Tezcatlipoca
28-02-2005, 21:44
Hmm. It should be a straight-through cable AFAIK :confused:

Crossover cables are used e.g. to connect a PC to another PC (or a PS2/XBox to a PC).

Straight-through cables are used to connect to a hub/switch/router.

If you have a straight-through cable, try it anyway.

paul11974
01-03-2005, 15:46
ok i have just connected the ps2 to the router and it canot detect the ps2 arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh any ideas anyone ?

di need to configure my router ?

do i just connect the cable from the ps2 to the router ?

Tezcatlipoca
01-03-2005, 20:01
Shouldnt be any need to configure the router.

What are the PS2's network settings? (IP, DNS, etc)

Do you have a different cable you could try?

paul11974
01-03-2005, 21:33
Shouldnt be any need to configure the router.

What are the PS2's network settings? (IP, DNS, etc)

Do you have a different cable you could try?

all sorted matt thanks m8 just played fifa 2005 not bad

so who wants to challenge me then ?

tommyboi
10-03-2005, 14:00
Will i be able to get online with a ps2 that has a messiah 2 modchip inside its belly?

dilli-theclaw
10-03-2005, 14:25
I was wondering how long it takes sony to send out network access discs for the slimline ps2 when you register?

southwell
11-03-2005, 10:46
I was wondering how long it takes sony to send out network access discs for the slimline ps2 when you register?

Between 1-2 weeks, they send you the pin code and cd separately so don't missplace the code ;)

HTH

dilli-theclaw
11-03-2005, 10:47
Between 1-2 weeks, they send you the pin code and cd separately so don't missplace the code ;)

HTH

Thanks for that :)

I hope to be playing online soon.

pumba
17-03-2005, 06:21
I was just wondering with the message that comes up saying central station csnt be contacted. i have the ps2 connected through the adsl modem and i was wondering if any of you knew how to fix the problem i seem to have.

dilli-theclaw
23-03-2005, 16:37
I'm still waiting for my welcome pack. Ok I know I should give it longer, but I'm an impatient type of dude :)

I'm going to give it 'till Friday - then call sony. Who should I call? (specifically I mean).

paul11974
23-03-2005, 21:36
the ps2 online experience has been a bit of a let down or maybee it is just the fifa 2005 online experience that has failed to deliver

dilli-theclaw
23-03-2005, 21:37
the ps2 online experience has been a bit of a let down or maybee it is just the fifa 2005 online experience that has failed to deliver

It would still be nice for me to have the experience of being let down in the first place ;):)

dilli-theclaw
01-04-2005, 12:43
So I got the demo disc this morning - Does this mean that my network disc is soon to follow?

The demo disc was a bit pants :(

paulyoung666
01-04-2005, 12:47
I was just wondering with the message that comes up saying central station csnt be contacted. i have the ps2 connected through the adsl modem and i was wondering if any of you knew how to fix the problem i seem to have.

hi and :welcome: to the site , firewall issue maybe ?????? :)

southwell
01-04-2005, 13:00
So I got the demo disc this morning - Does this mean that my network disc is soon to follow?

The demo disc was a bit pants :(

I got the Letter > Demo Disc > Network access disc.

All seems a bit muddled up to me, once i had received the Network disc i had missplaced the letter. :rolleyes:

HD462
18-04-2005, 23:37

Our network access disk took about 2 months to come, but you can get online without it easy enough if you have an online game already. The message about not being able to access Central Station I found out was because you need to register your Playstation first at www.ps2registration.com (http://www.ps2registration.com) . The instructions aren't very clear to be honest.

To get the Playstation working I connected it to the router, then put an online game in and go to the network setup screen in the game. Work your way through the screens, and set everything to auto, the router will configure it, and you'll be asked to save a config file to your memory card. Choose a name such as NTLWorld for the connection name.

Then you should be up and running.

As for using a chipped Playstation online, they have a thing called DNAS that checks your Playstation when you log in which is supposed to check for copied games etc...so possibly it won't work.

criminal_smile
19-04-2005, 11:00
I have managed to eventually get my PS2 online through my PC using an NIC card, and a crossover patch cable. The only game that works so far is Tony Hawks 4, which has the capability to manage it's own network settings. I have just sent off to Sony for my Network Access Disc (s'pose I should have read the docs when I bought it), but I'm wondering is there any way I can configure the PS2 Network Access settings from my PC, considering the PS2 is now on a LAN?
I would imagine that someone has come up with software to allow this, but I'm hitting my head against a wall trying to find any. Anyone got any ideas?
Alternatively, can I get a download of the NAD (and if so where?), or is each one tailored to your specific PS2 serial number?

MaKSiNG
24-06-2005, 17:23
Was there ever a reply to this last post by criminal?

And let me just confirm.
I have a slimline PS2 so I do not need the adapter because it already has the Ethernet port. I can just plug this straight into my router.
However, I need what is on the access disc in order to configure the PS2 with the settings it requires to go online.
And currently the only way most people know to get the disc is to register on that PS2 website.

Is that correct?

Thx,
MaKS

criminal_smile
24-06-2005, 18:27
Hi......I did eventually manage to get online, but only because I bought FIFA 2004. It has the utilities needed to setup a configuration file on the memory card. I got my id from CS Central after about 2 weeks. That was just after my last post I think. I'm still waiting on the disc though.

The only games I can't get to work online are MOH. No idea why though. Every other game recognises the config file setup by FIFA>
HTH
C_S

painbringer
05-06-2006, 18:14
well that is very good. Have fun with fifa
But can somebody HELP ME!!!!!!!
I can't get online.:bigcry:
I've got a thomson speedtouch 530 a dsl modem and i've got a fastcat 5e netwerkkabel.I've received my networkdisc and code.I do everything that the networkdisc askes but when it tests my connecting it doesn't stop with testing.
Please if you know what i have to do tell me!!

I really want to play online!!!:help: