PDA

View Full Version : Have to keep resetting modem

twogreenmen
18-02-2005, 17:59
Hi All,

Over the past 15 (Approx) days, I have had to reset my cable modem once/twice a day.

I am using a Linksys WRT54G router, normally this is not able to get an IP from the NTL modem, only fix is to reset both boxes. I know its not the Linksys thats the problem, as I have previously reset this alone to no avail. (Resetting the linksys is just a quicker way of doing the DHCP release/renewal required after resetting the NTL modem).

I have had an engineer out, who checked the modem connections - said he found a loose connection on the wall socket, and also it was using an FM splitter, which he removed and 'barreled' the connections together instead.

He checked the stats on the modem, and told me it was all within normal limits, and to see 'how it goes'.

Needless to say (Or I would ne typing this!) nothing has changed...two days later I have had to reset the modem twice already.

I have this evening tried to get NTL out again...after wasting 10 minutes talking to someone in a call centre who didnt exactly speak very good english, and being told that "'the system' was being upgraded tonight, so please call back in 30 minutes"...I gave up. (YAY NTL For carrying out a system upgrade during peak call time!!)

Anyways...anyone got any ideas why I have to reset each day?

Cheers,
Simon.

MovedGoalPosts
18-02-2005, 18:46
:welcome: Twogreenmen to Cable Forum

When I last complained to ntl about having to reboot my STB once or twice a day because the broadband crashed I was told that was "normal" :disturbed: :mad:

You don't indicate how many computers you have running, what speed your broadband is, and perhaps most importantly, what you are running through your conection. When I was having lots of problems I was trying to use P2P. I get the impression that was trying to hold open or maintain far more connetions than my router (Dlink) and STB could sustain. When I stopped using P2P the connection became much more stable.

twogreenmen
18-02-2005, 20:01
Hi MGP,

Thanks for the reply, I have been using P2P, good point! I will disable this for a couple of days and see how it goes. Did you find a away of using P2P without having to reset the modem?

Whoops - Forgot to mention, to answer the bits I missed:

- Computers: Normally 1, sometimes 2, occasionally 3, very occasionally 4!
- Speed: 750kbps
- What do I run: Mostly just browsing + email, some P2P (BitTorrent)

When the engineer came out, I said "I guess I shouldnt be running file sharing software" he said..."Never heard of it mate" :0

MovedGoalPosts
18-02-2005, 20:02
I gave up with P2P. simply cos it seemed to take forever to get anything worthwhile, I just couldn't be bothered.

I managed to reduce crashes, but not prevent them, by finding settings that limited the number of connections permitted, and also ensuring that I did not saturate my upload (if your download packets can't be acknowledged that will graunch things up). It was all a little bit of trial and error.

Neil
18-02-2005, 20:07
Hi MGP,

Thanks for the reply, I have been using P2P, good point! I will disable this for a couple of days and see how it goes. Did you find a away of using P2P without having to reset the modem?

Whoops - Forgot to mention, to answer the bits I missed:

- Computers: Normally 1, sometimes 2, occasionally 3, very occasionally 4!
- Speed: 750kbps
- What do I run: Mostly just browsing + email, some P2P (BitTorrent)

When the engineer came out, I said "I guess I shouldnt be running file sharing software" he said..."Never heard of it mate" :0

You need to cap your upload rate. What's happening is your upload is 'maxing out' & killing the connection.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/cmtips/p2p.html#p2p

twogreenmen
18-02-2005, 20:26
Thank you Neil - I'll have a read.