PDA

View Full Version : Americans? Could you send me some Coca Cola?

Macca371
18-02-2005, 00:13
Hi. I have heard that cans of Coca Cola made in the USA taste totally different to ones made in the UK, and I am rather curious to know. So, if we have any Americans on the forum, is it possible that you could actually send me a can of cola from the US? I will pay the cost of the can, plus P&P. I am truly being serious lol. Maybe it would be best to do the transaction over ebay or something? Any idea how much it would cost for p&p? Thanks.

Raistlin
18-02-2005, 00:15
I wonder if any of the shops on the American airbases in the UK would be stocking US Cola or if they would have UK suppliers?

If it's the former then that might be an easier option than importing it...

I can see the customs label now:

Declaration of Contents:
This package contains Coke, please handle with care

Macca371
18-02-2005, 00:17
I wonder if any of the shops on the American airbases in the UK would be stocking US Cola or if they would have UK suppliers?

If it's the former then that might be an easier option than importing it...

I can see the customs label now:

Declaration of Contents:
This package contains Coke, please handle with care

:rofl:

punky
18-02-2005, 00:21
Hi. I have heard that cans of Coca Cola made in the USA taste totally different to ones made in the UK, and I am rather curious to know. So, if we have any Americans on the forum, is it possible that you could actually send me a can of cola from the US? I will pay the cost of the can, plus P&P. I am truly being serious lol. Maybe it would be best to do the transaction over ebay or something? Any idea how much it would cost for p&p? Thanks.

I can't say I have ever noticed a difference, and I spend a lot of time over there.

It used to be called "Coca-Cola Classic" which kind of implied a difference, but is now just called Coca-Cola.

ian@huth
18-02-2005, 00:22
Have a read of http://members.lycos.co.uk/thomassheils/secret.htm

Basically coca-cola is the same all over the world if bottled or canned. Differences in taste is usually noticed in outlets such as fast food outlets who mix the syrup with carbonated water on the premises.

Richard M
18-02-2005, 00:25
It tastes better in a glass bottle though. :dozey:
Correction: it tastes OK in a glass bottle - I usually can't stand the stuff.

Raistlin
18-02-2005, 00:27
Sorry, I know this is :notopic: but I just don't get it:

Charlie was a chemist, but Charlie is no more. What Charlie thought was H2O was H2SO4.

Macca371
18-02-2005, 00:29

Charlie was a chemist, but Charlie is no more. What Charlie thought was H2O was H2SO4.

H2S04 is the chemical term for sulphuric acid. H20 is water. So instead of drinking water, Charlie drank sulphuric acid, which can be deadly in large amounts! And he is 'no more', therefore, he is dead.

Richard M
18-02-2005, 00:30

Did you know they used Cocaine as a major ingredient in Coca-Cola up until about the 1940's? :erm:
Sorry, that word "Charlie" just reminded me of it... erm... OK I'll get me coat. :D

Raistlin
18-02-2005, 00:31
H2S04 is the chemical term for sulphuric acid. H20 is water. So instead of drinking water, Charlie drank sulphuric acid, which can be deadly in large amounts! And he is 'no more', therefore, he is dead.

Aaahhhh, gotcha. Thanks, you should have started with:

"Pay attention, here comes the science bit"

:LOL:

Right, enough of that, back on topic - sorry.

Macca371
18-02-2005, 00:32
OK well thanks everyone for the replies. If it tastes the same that I might aswell not bother trying it. :)

nfs6600
18-02-2005, 00:38
It tastes better in a glass bottle though. :dozey:
Correction: it tastes OK in a glass bottle - I usually can't stand the stuff.

TO me it tastes better from a glass bottle. I just, don't get it!!

*runs off to his local to grab some glass bottled coke*

Paul

OK well thanks everyone for the replies. If it tastes the same that I might aswell not bother trying it. :)

Now you see, this kind of thing would do my head right in. If I wanted to find out if there was a diference I would make worlds move to find it out! I just couldn't go by what people said.

...but then Im me

Paul

Macca371
18-02-2005, 00:39
I agree, it does taste much better in a bottle. Psychological or is it actually different?

I have also noticed that it tastes different in France - worse. And more gassy. Strange.

nfs6600
18-02-2005, 00:40
I have also noticed that it tastes different in France - worse. And more gassy. Strange.

...I think you're getting that confused with the french people....

;)

Paul

Richard M
18-02-2005, 00:41
I agree, it does taste much better in a bottle. Psychological or is it actually different?

I wouldn't know, every time I've been in MacDonalds etc in Paris I've had a nice cold pint instead. :D

Macca371
18-02-2005, 00:42
TO me it tastes better from a glass bottle. I just, don't get it!!

*runs off to his local to grab some glass bottled coke*

Paul

Now you see, this kind of thing would do my head right in. If I wanted to find out if there was a diference I would make worlds move to find it out! I just couldn't go by what people said.

...but then Im me

Paul

Well I usually do that to! But in this case it would cost me £5/£6 just to cure a little curiosity, and I am rather tight pocketed!

danielf
18-02-2005, 00:42
<snip> Charlie drank sulphuric acid, which can be deadly in large amounts! <snip>

Like water I have heard, or coca cola. In really large amounts... :)

Macca371
18-02-2005, 00:51
...I think you're getting that confused with the french people....

;)

Paul

:rofl:

Btw I also remember it tasting different in Spain too. And sometimes our newsagents stocks up on coke with German writing on it (so I presume that it's from Germany), and that tastes strange also.

I should be worried, I sound like a coke connoisseur!

ian@huth
18-02-2005, 01:09
Coca cola that is bottled or canned is manufactured throughout the world by franchisees. These franchisees receive the syrup the recipe for which is a very well kept secret from a Coca Cola plant and mix it with sugar, water and carbon dioxide obtained locally. The water used has to go through filtration processes and reverse osmosis to guarantee the same taste worldwide. Coca cola bought in France and with French labelling is just as likely bottled in Sidcup, Kent as well as the French franchisees.

Macca371
18-02-2005, 01:14
Coca cola that is bottled or canned is manufactured throughout the world by franchisees. These franchisees receive the syrup the recipe for which is a very well kept secret from a Coca Cola plant and mix it with sugar, water and carbon dioxide obtained locally. The water used has to go through filtration processes and reverse osmosis to guarantee the same taste worldwide. Coca cola bought in France and with French labelling is just as likely bottled in Sidcup, Kent as well as the French franchisees.

Oh... so I must have been deluded all this time? :erm:

nffc
18-02-2005, 01:21

I like the sig... :)

Conc H2SO4 is pretty bad for you even by inhalation, we use the ******* stuff in a fume cupboard, wear gloves, etc etc etc.

In fact, mustard gas (Cl-CH2-S-CH2-Cl) gives off HCl in contact with water so not only is it a DNA intercalant [sits in the DNA helix and hinders replication] but it also causes ulceration due to hydrolysis.

Anyway back on topic. Anyone else think Coca Cola tastes more, well, citrussy than Pepsi. Personally I prefer Pepsi.

Macca371
18-02-2005, 01:29
Yeah we used it in Chemistry in school but diluted to like 20 molar lol. Don't think our teacher trusted us.

I don't like pepsi personally. To me it tastes just like Diet Coke, which is too... sweetnerish? :erm: Coca cola is definately unique, I love the taste.

Stuart
18-02-2005, 01:31

Marina used to buy foreign chocolate at a site, I think it was http://www.cybercandy.co.uk, They are based in London but import sweets and softdrinks from all over the world. They only sell drinks in packs of 12, and don't seem to have any normal coke. It is worth keeping an eye on them..

Macca371
18-02-2005, 01:36
Thanks! Look, a Baby Ruth (http://www.cybercandy.co.uk/aaasmt/index.php/url_pmet3/xdbc_1/dbtc_2/pic_1/add_44112/stc_1#1)! The chocolate bar from the Goonies that chunk and sloth share! Always wanted to try one of these!

Graham
18-02-2005, 02:07
Did you know they used Cocaine as a major ingredient in Coca-Cola up until about the 1940's?

http://www.snopes.com/cokelore/cocaine.asp

"by 1902 it was as little as 1/400 of a grain of cocaine per ounce of syrup. Coca-Cola didn't become completely cocaine-free until 1929, but there was scarcely any of the drug left in the drink by then"

nffc
18-02-2005, 09:03
Yeah we used it in Chemistry in school but diluted to like 20 molar lol. Don't think our teacher trusted us.

I don't like pepsi personally. To me it tastes just like Diet Coke, which is too... sweetnerish? :erm: Coca cola is definately unique, I love the taste.

20 M, that's still pretty concentrated, you mean like 2M which is like gnat's p*ss...

Pepsi > CocaCola...

Russ
18-02-2005, 09:32
Ahhh, Coca Cola aka American Champagne, I've always prefered Cherry Coke which actually tastes different to the version they have in France.

TheBlueRaja
18-02-2005, 09:41
It must taste different, i find the same thing with my Favourite drink Irn-Bru (licks lips), in order (best tasting first)

1)Glass Bottle
2)Can
7)Plastic bottle (V Poor by comparision)

Jason1
18-02-2005, 10:16

Got back from florida a month ago big diffrnce between our coke and the one in Amercia is that its more fizzy made me burp like a pig all day Prefered wild cherry pepsi myself tasted great but cant get it over here

bob_builder
18-02-2005, 10:56
You could still get a lot of taste difference with just different water, sugar and CO2 concentration.

Coke tastes different between the states of the US, so it is going to be different across the world.

Also Diet Coke is definately different as they use different sweeteners as some are banned in the US! :Yikes:

AndrewJ
18-02-2005, 11:05
I would like to do this also I have heard the same pm me if your in the USA and can send us a few cans of Cola. :D

Millay
18-02-2005, 11:06
I heard the taste difference is because of the local manufacturing, different suger water etc.. there certainly is a taste difference, or is it just all in the mind

Chris
18-02-2005, 11:10

Well, if you'd posted this two weeks ago I couldv'e brought you one back. :)

Despite everything that's been said about consistent taste worldwide etc etc, I found myself thinking, while drinking a can in America, that it tasted different - slightly stronger, I think.

The cans are a little bigger than ours as well.

AndrewJ
18-02-2005, 11:10
You can get beer at a Mcdonalds in France :eek:

zeus9876
18-02-2005, 11:12
I am from america and now living here in UK and can confirm that the coke from America does taste differently from the coke here.

TigaSefi
18-02-2005, 11:37
i had delivered to the tune of $50 postage fee about 20 bottles of Dr Pepper Vanilla, Mountain Dew Grape and normal version and bits and pieces and Apple Cinnamon Cheerios.... YUMMY!!!

SMHarman
18-02-2005, 12:15

Where did you drink it in France, it is more gassy at altitude (it's an air pressure thing), so if you were in a ski resort...

zeus9876
18-02-2005, 12:51
mountain Dew Grape ? Hmmmm never heard of that one. I will be going out there in April and since they dont have mtn dew here i will be bringing alot of it back with me as that is all i used to drink when i was living there.

nffc
18-02-2005, 13:50
You could still get a lot of taste difference with just different water, sugar and CO2 concentration.

Coke tastes different between the states of the US, so it is going to be different across the world.

Also Diet Coke is definately different as they use different sweeteners as some are banned in the US! :Yikes:

Surely that's the point. The sugar will be in the syrup and all that will be added is the local water, which will be conditioned, and the CO2, which will be the same whever you are [as it's still O=C=O]. The only difference will be what they are and are not allowed to include in the syrup. The water will mean gash all as it's ROed / deionised.

Hmm, our sweeteners in diet coke are banned in the US... that tells me something!

As for coke it tastes ****ter out of a bottle and I prefer it from bars where they have the draught things and it comes out of the machine. Tastes much nicer.

Russ
18-02-2005, 13:53
mountain Dew Grape ? Hmmmm never heard of that one. I will be going out there in April and since they dont have mtn dew here i will be bringing alot of it back with me as that is all i used to drink when i was living there.

Mountain Dew??

SOCK!!!!

TigaSefi
18-02-2005, 13:56
sock ? wtf ? yeah there a Mountain Dew Black meaning it's has Grape extracts. It Black rather than Green.

Russ
18-02-2005, 14:05
Do you not remember the Mountain Dew adverts then??

SOCK!!!

AndrewJ
18-02-2005, 14:12
Slightly off topic but anyone notice if you pay for a pack of chrisps in a busy town, you get half decent ones, but go into the country and into more richer posh out of the urban life places, and they taste so much fresher.?

ian@huth
18-02-2005, 14:30
Surely that's the point. The sugar will be in the syrup and all that will be added is the local water, which will be conditioned, and the CO2, which will be the same whever you are [as it's still O=C=O]. The only difference will be what they are and are not allowed to include in the syrup. The water will mean gash all as it's ROed / deionised.

Hmm, our sweeteners in diet coke are banned in the US... that tells me something!

As for coke it tastes ****ter out of a bottle and I prefer it from bars where they have the draught things and it comes out of the machine. Tastes much nicer.No, sugar is added locally and there is a difference in carbon dioxide. Have a read of http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/the_company_file/369684.stm

One thing that has puzzled me about drinking coke in fast food restaurants in the USA is that many sell you different size cups at different prices and give you FREE UNLIMITED refills. Strange.

TigaSefi
18-02-2005, 14:41
Heheh innit but it a clever ploy let say u pay 99 cent for the supersize version as opposed to 69 cent for a normal version they'll make more money out of u cos they KNOW u can't possibly refill a supersize version! (and if u can, ur a fat ******* ;) )

Dave Stones
18-02-2005, 17:27
i started a mountain dew thread here about 2 years ago... cant find it now ;)

anyway my main choice for mountain dew is www.americansoda.co.uk , £14.95 for a pack of 24 cans, the price of orange and cherry MD is reduced too to somthing like £5 a case, cos it is out of date ;)

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=6059&page=1 there it is... knew i would find it somewhere ;)

i'm so addicted :(

nffc
18-02-2005, 17:38

As for coke it tastes ****ter out of a bottle and I prefer it from bars where they have the draught things and it comes out of the machine. Tastes much nicer.No, sugar is added locally and there is a difference in carbon dioxide. Have a read of http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/the_company_file/369684.stm

One thing that has puzzled me about drinking coke in fast food restaurants in the USA is that many sell you different size cups at different prices and give you FREE UNLIMITED refills. Strange.

Surely even if the sugar's added locally it will still be glucose though.

And the CO2 was an error, they used the wrong cylinder, again CO2 will still be CO2 regardless- that cylinder had an additive in it!

bob_builder
21-02-2005, 11:06

And the CO2 was an error, they used the wrong cylinder, again CO2 will still be CO2 regardless- that cylinder had an additive in it!
Why would it have to be glucose? Why not sucrose or even fructose?

Again, CO2 is CO2 but even water tastes very different depending on the concentraction of the CO2 in it.

SMHarman
21-02-2005, 11:28

Sugar - the biggest change to the coke receipe in the last few years has been the replacement of sugar with high fructose corn syrup.

Do some more research yourselves, or read a book entitled Fat Land: How Americans Became the Fattest People in the World by Critser, but it's not the best of ideas. Saved them $$$$ thought.

Sucrose is composed of glucose and fructose. When sugar is given to rats in high amounts, the rats develop multiple health problems, especially when the rats were deficient in certain nutrients, such as copper. The researchers wanted to know whether it was the fructose or the glucose moiety that was causing the problems. So they repeated their studies with two groups of rats, one given high amounts of glucose and one given high amounts of fructose. The glucose group was unaffected but the fructose group had disastrous results. The male rats did not reach adulthood. They had anemia, high cholesterol and heart hypertrophyââ ¡Ã‚¬Ã¢â‚¬Âthat means that their hearts enlarged until they exploded. They also had delayed testicular development. Dr. Field explains that fructose in combination with copper deficiency in the growing animal interferes with collagen production. (Copper deficiency, by the way, is widespread in America.) In a nutshell, the little bodies of the rats just fell apart. The females were not so affected, but they were unable to produce live young.

"The medical profession thinks fructose is better for diabetics than sugar," says Dr. Field, "but every cell in the body can metabolize glucose. However, all fructose must be metabolized in the liver. The livers of the rats on the high fructose diet looked like the livers of alcoholics, plugged with fat and cirrhotic."
http://www.westonaprice.org/motherlinda/cornsyrup.html
This is just the first google that had a better explanation than I could give. There is likely to be an opposing medical opinion (but then cigarettes are good for you in some medical journals).

HFCS is great for the US because they have a climate that allows a lot of corn to be grown, but not so much sugar. HFCS was developed by the Japanese as a way of making use of corn in other areas.

EDIT

Some more good links on this

http://www2.coca-cola.com/contactus/faq/labeling.html#2

http://www2.coca-cola.com/ourcompany/hal_facts_fructose.html

http://www.beverage-digest.com/cgi-bin/hfcs.cgi

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/040910.html
as this says
Coke hasn't been the same since the company ditched sugar for corn syrup. However, let's examine the logic here: (1) Americans are way fatter than they used to be. (2) We're eating more and exercising less, two guaranteed ways to put on the pounds. (3) Ergo, the problem is an obscure difference in sugar chemistry. You don't need to be Socrates to realize this conclusion is a bit of a reach.

Halcyon
21-02-2005, 12:24
I'm prefer Pepsi myself.

They do seem to taste better in bottles. Dont know why, I think they just do.

I do like a nice Whiskey-Coke from time to time though. Very nice.

nffc
21-02-2005, 13:48

Why would it have to be glucose? Why not sucrose or even fructose?

Again, CO2 is CO2 but even water tastes very different depending on the concentraction of the CO2 in it.

Pifft. glucose / <insert random sugar here> as long as the mix is the same, or very similar, it shouldn't matter? [which presumably C-C will control]

Of course the [CO2] will affect the taste- CO2 itself is actually insoluble but does react mildly with water viz:
CO2 + H2O <--> H2CO3 which ionises to H+ [which itself complexes with the water] and (CO3)2- ions [albeit very weakly].
So more CO2 will evidently make the coke more acidic- but surely the CO2 addition to the water will be a controlled process- in industrial processes slight modifications to the CO2 pressure [ie the addition speed, which relates to the CO2 concentration] could have adverse effects on the whole process- so again it's likely to be controlled...?

[Random aside- the body can only detect / metabolise certain sugars.]

Xaccers
21-02-2005, 14:19
The US use corn syrup which makes it taste slightly different.
May people cross the Mexican border to pick up non corn syrup coke because they prefer the old taste.
When it comes to post mix, like in McDonalds or pubs, they're unlikely to have the mix of water/syrup/CO2 set to the same as the coke factory, so it will often taste much more different.
Not enough CO2 can really make it taste bad, which is strange as flat coke in a bottle is quite nice, and isn't is supposed to be good for an upset stomach?
Talking of which, if I have too much coke, expecially post mix, my stomach seems to take in the water, and reject the tar like syrup, not very pleasant

Chris
21-02-2005, 14:27
May people cross the Mexican border to pick up non corn syrup coke because they prefer the old taste.
When it comes to post mix, like in McDonalds or pubs, they're unlikely to have the mix of water/syrup/CO2 set to the same as the coke factory, so it will often taste much more different.
Not enough CO2 can really make it taste bad, which is strange as flat coke in a bottle is quite nice, and isn't is supposed to be good for an upset stomach?
Talking of which, if I have too much coke, expecially post mix, my stomach seems to take in the water, and reject the tar like syrup, not very pleasant

Pointless tip of the day, for anyone who prefers their coke to taste stronger ...

When serving yourself at a cafe (motorway services, department store or anywhere else you fill your own coke cup), for a stronger drink, repeatedly tap the cup against the lever instead of just pushing and holding until the cup is full. When the lever is first pressed, you get a glob of concentrate before the carbonated water kicks in fully. With repeated pressing of the lever you can get a cup full of globs. :drool: :D

Mrs T says she can always tell when I've reached the coke dispenser, she can hear it going click-click-click from across the restaurant.

nffc
21-02-2005, 14:43

Pointless tip of the day, for anyone who prefers their coke to taste stronger ...

When serving yourself at a cafe (motorway services, department store or anywhere else you fill your own coke cup), for a stronger drink, repeatedly tap the cup against the lever instead of just pushing and holding until the cup is full. When the lever is first pressed, you get a glob of concentrate before the carbonated water kicks in fully. With repeated pressing of the lever you can get a cup full of globs. :drool: :D

Mrs T says she can always tell when I've reached the coke dispenser, she can hear it going click-click-click from across the restaurant.

:LOL: w00t pwnd