PDA

View Full Version : Audio Streaming to Hi-Fi via Wi-Fi

TheBlueRaja
17-02-2005, 22:30
OK need some help with my PC...

I want to stream audio from my PC to my Hi-fi over Wi-Fi, but specifically, i want to stream internet radio and to make matters worse (for you guys ;) ) AAC encoded radio coz its the mutleys for sound quality and only uses 48K, specifically, somafm.com.

The closest i have come is the Airport Express from apple, but iTunes dosent play AAC radio streams (not that i can see anyway) and only crappy MP3 at 128k which is worse sounding and takes more bandwidth.

The Roku Soundbridge is close as well but again i run into problems with AAC.

Anybody have ANY idea how i can do that?

SMHarman
17-02-2005, 23:55
The Airport express does not send AAC across the waves it sends it in Apple Lossless encoding or something like that.

TheBlueRaja
18-02-2005, 09:17
Thats OK, as its a lossless compression thats fine.

What i need iTunes or something similar to do is to be able to access radio stations like RadioParadise or SomaFm's AAC stream.

I can get this already with Winamp, but i need something to send it over the air.

SMHarman
18-02-2005, 11:59
Can you access these radio station from within itunes? That would be the easiest way. I don't know if you can get anything other than iTunes to stream out to the AirPort Express.

TheBlueRaja
18-02-2005, 12:39
No, iTunes dosent support AAC on Radio Streams.

I dont care what it is - i dont care if its even iTunes, i just want to be able to transmit SomaFm on AAC out to my Hifi via Wi-Fi.

SMHarman
18-02-2005, 23:45
No, iTunes dosent support AAC on Radio Streams.

I dont care what it is - i dont care if its even iTunes, i just want to be able to transmit SomaFm on AAC out to my Hifi via Wi-Fi.
If you choose iTunes Radio (between Party Shuffle and Music Store), expand the Alt/Modern Rock (33 stns) section, you will find 4 Radio Paradise options 16/32/64/128k streams. This can be output to the speakers on an AirPort Express.
I can't find Soma FM though.