PDA

View Full Version : ASDA Home Shopping - Avoid!

Richard M
16-02-2005, 22:15
On Sunday I thought I'd try out Asda's online shopping.
The order went through nice and smoothly and I booked myself a 18:00-20:00 delivery slot for today. All good so far.

Then it comes to Wednesday...

I rushed home from work and managed to get in just after 6ish and as I had sod all food in the house I thought I'd wait until my delivery arrives, which I expected to be around half 6, most delivery people are pretty quick in the week and I usually have my food at about 7ish so that's OK.

So I settle down to play Splinter Cell and after a while I start getting hungry, the clock has gone 20:30 now so I phone up the main home shopping number to ask what's going on.
Apparently, due to one guy phoning in sick, it has had a knock-on effect so they were only up to the 17:00-19:00 delivery slot.
The girl apologised, refunded my delivery fee and said that they'd be around at about half 9.

Guess what?
Half 9 comes and goes. :mad:
Still having not had anything to eat since the afternoon I phone up my store (which is literally 2 mins around the corner).

They tell me that it will have to wait until tomorrow now, no I can't pick it up myself and no, they can't just make a quick detour near the end of their shift.
All I can do is cancel my order if I want to pick the stuff up myself so I tell them that I'll be in touch tomorrow to sort out delivery for that evening.
We'll wait and see... :(

Millay
16-02-2005, 22:16
good exscuse for a curry if you ask me :)

Graham F
16-02-2005, 22:26
If its just round the corner you shouldn't be so lazy :p: you should do the shopping yourself!!

seriously you must be hungry?!? can they not come round with a takeaway for you ;)

AndrewJ
16-02-2005, 22:41
I was thinking of using that service from the Rochdale Branch near me, makes me double think about it now....

paulyoung666
16-02-2005, 22:53
I was thinking of using that service from the Rochdale Branch near me, makes me double think about it now....

1 bad result does not mean a disaster everytime ;) :erm: :D :D :D

Paul
16-02-2005, 22:54
I was thinking of using that service from the Rochdale Branch near me, makes me double think about it now....One example is hardly representative, any regular in these forums should know that :)

Richard M
16-02-2005, 23:03
If its just round the corner you shouldn't be so lazy :p: you should do the shopping yourself!!

I do but this time I wanted to buy a 24 pack of beer as well and I'm not carrying that home with the rest of my shopping! :D

seriously you must be hungry?!?

No, I ended up walking round myself to pick something up at 10. :rolleyes:
Can't believe I wasted 4 hours waiting for them.

ian@huth
16-02-2005, 23:10
I have thought about online shopping with Asda or Tesco but never taken the plunge. I would imagine that it could work out cheaper even with the delivery charge as you wouldn't be tempted by all those extras you end up buying. The thing that puts me off is being unable to choose the cuts of meat that I want and having stuff near the end of its best before date pushed onto you. When I am instore and looking at the meat counter I would not have half of it given. Same goes for things like baking potatoes, cooked meats and several other products.

Electrolyte01
16-02-2005, 23:22
Asda's services seem to be dropping as of late. Our ASDA (which is a hyper market) has poor services, when we wanted fireworks in November for December, we waited 20 minutes for some one just to come to the till and then my mom couldn't be bothered to wait any longer and left. The person who was looking for the guy on the till saw us go out, and I bet she thought "There goes another customer".

They used to be good, but now they seem to be dropping :(

soneill
16-02-2005, 23:23
I have been looking at using Tesco's on-line shopping - but for the things that my local Tesco's doesn't seem to stock! I agree with your comment about fruit/veg/meat etc though.

ZrByte
17-02-2005, 01:50
I have thought about online shopping with Asda or Tesco but never taken the plunge. I would imagine that it could work out cheaper even with the delivery charge as you wouldn't be tempted by all those extras you end up buying. The thing that puts me off is being unable to choose the cuts of meat that I want and having stuff near the end of its best before date pushed onto you. When I am instore and looking at the meat counter I would not have half of it given. Same goes for things like baking potatoes, cooked meats and several other products.

Thats exactly why I can't seem to get my parents to do our shopping online.

Asda's services seem to be dropping as of late. Our ASDA (which is a hyper market) has poor services, when we wanted fireworks in November for December, we waited 20 minutes for some one just to come to the till and then my mom couldn't be bothered to wait any longer and left. The person who was looking for the guy on the till saw us go out, and I bet she thought "There goes another customer".

They used to be good, but now they seem to be dropping :(

ASDA have strange ideas about when and where help is needed. I remember running the fireworks counter during 2003. I had far too many customers to handle and to make things worse I didnt have a till so I had to take all the customers pirchases over to the Kiosk wich as im sure you can immagine really didnt help matters. I flat out refused to work until they gave me some help, wich they eventually did, only thing was that it went quiet around 10 mins before I finally got help so the extra member of staff helping me was of no use. Then just to make things worse they took her off me when it got busy becuase they needed her back on checkouts (what was the fecking point in moving her over if I couldnt keep her when she was needed :mad: ).
I nearly lost my job over that one because I got so bent out of shape about it, strange how they havent put me on the fireworks since :D

skyblueheroes
17-02-2005, 07:25
I have never shopped online, but seriously considering it with Tesco (Asda don't deliver to me as yet).

I did some market research for Tesco online a week or two ago and they are re-doing their website. One of the things they are going to do is to allow you to add other stuff to your food basket (CD's, DVD's, Electrical Items etc) to make it a more complete shopping trip.

You pay in one go, get the food as normal, then the other stuff in the post in the usual way.

Paul K
17-02-2005, 07:38
I've used the Tesco online shopping service a number of times and rarely suffered substitutions or items close to sell by dates but then I used it for my frozen shop each month. For things like fruit and fresh vegetables I would guess you are at the mercy of the person picking your order. Get someone who doesn't care and you might end up with some items that are close to their sell by date or fruit and veg that looks a bit ropey but then you do have the choice of refusing items at the door so you still have the option to get your money back.
It makes a big difference to your shop as many have alluded to above as you can control your shopping better and can see what the total cost is as you go along and with some of the sites you can order a lot of items that they don't hold in their normal stores (electricals being the obvious example) and you can often get bargains, special offers or online specials that you wouldn't know about if you had to walk all the way around the store searching for things.

Nidge
17-02-2005, 14:47
A guy round our way has started a home shopping service, he's proving to be a big hitter with the older people of our town, I see him parked outside ASDA, TESCO and Morrisons with loads of bags in the back of his van. He must be doing ok because he's out every day 7 days a week.

LemonyBrainAid
17-02-2005, 15:43
Never really used it, as sainsbury is just round the corner..
No asda workees patting their a**es aroound here :(

SMHarman
17-02-2005, 15:46
Can't believe I wasted 4 hours waiting for them.I thought you said you were playing splinter cell.

Richard M
17-02-2005, 17:25
I thought you said you were playing splinter cell.

Yes, but I would have been doing other things if the delivery had been on time like having a shower, food etc.
Apparently the delivery is due today now at 6ish, we'll see.

Nemesis
17-02-2005, 17:29
Splinter cell at the ready, don't forget to go to the chippy on the way home, and put ADSA CS on speed dial. :D :D

Gareth
17-02-2005, 19:10
Have used Tesco delivery service a few times now, and they're pretty good... despite living about 5 mins walk from ASDA Walmart.

Had one problem where some bags went missing, but it was resolved finally, without me losing out financially.

Others in Swindon should consider using it.

Richard M
17-02-2005, 19:33
Just took delivery about 7ish, it was very good of them to come all the way into the complex, up to my building then to my apartment. :)
I'm happy it's sorted now, shame it's a day late though.

Would I use them again?
Probably, the level of customer service is very high within the company and they were polite and helpful all the way.
They need to get themselves a "plan B" in case a driver doesn't turn up though.

zoombini
17-02-2005, 21:27
I wouldn't use Tesco's as I don't like the quality of thier foodstuff.

Asda are not much better these days either so I prefer to choose my own.

I remember seeing on many occasions, trollies of frozen food in iceland waiing for the van, so I guess hat by he ime i got o the customer it had 1/2 defrosted & frozen again.. not nice IMO.

ian@huth
17-02-2005, 23:20
I wouldn't use Tesco's as I don't like the quality of thier foodstuff.

Asda are not much better these days either so I prefer to choose my own.

I remember seeing on many occasions, trollies of frozen food in iceland waiing for the van, so I guess hat by he ime i got o the customer it had 1/2 defrosted & frozen again.. not nice IMO.
Frozen food handling really annoys me. In these days of 24 hour opening you quite regularly see several large cribs of frozen food parked down the middle of the aisle waiting to go into the freezers. I have felt some of the packages that have just been put in and have my doubts about them staying below the required temerature. They ought to make it compulsory for all frozen food packaging to have a temperature indicator which changes colour if allowed to become too warm and stays at that colour to warn you.

paul11974
17-02-2005, 23:38
www.sainsburys.co.uk

greencreeper
18-02-2005, 17:29
How do you know that the person gathering your shopping will be careful and choose decent stuff? Methinks it'll be a spotty kid just slinging stuff in a basket/trolley. My mum taught me - I can look at meat and know if it's dodgy, and I can squeeze fruit to check freshness. Bit sad really :D

zoombini
18-02-2005, 21:05
Searching the shelves at Asda, looking at the mince packets, they all seem to have plastic film lids that are raised because there is air in them, as if they have been warm?

Seems dodgy to me.

nothings safe any more (he, he - it never was).

greencreeper
18-02-2005, 23:47
Searching the shelves at Asda, looking at the mince packets, they all seem to have plastic film lids that are raised because there is air in them, as if they have been warm?

Seems dodgy to me.

nothings safe any more (he, he - it never was).
Mince :erm: I'd rather see the meat unminced - that way I know what I'm buying. Could have minced anything or anyone :disturbd:

Electrolyte01
18-02-2005, 23:49
Mince :erm: I'd rather see the meat unminced - that way I know what I'm buying. Could have minced anything or anyone :disturbd:

Agreed, could have ash, cereal, or any other crap like that :( :disturbd:

ZrByte
19-02-2005, 03:11
Or worse still, you could have tins ontop of your eggs and your bread at the bottom of all the bags :Yikes: :p:

Theodoric
20-02-2005, 19:31
I have never shopped online, but seriously considering it with Tesco (Asda don't deliver to me as yet).

I did some market research for Tesco online a week or two ago and they are re-doing their website. One of the things they are going to do is to allow you to add other stuff to your food basket (CD's, DVD's, Electrical Items etc) to make it a more complete shopping trip.

You pay in one go, get the food as normal, then the other stuff in the post in the usual way.
We bought a Dyson vac from Tescos' Internet site about a year ago. No problems.

However I don't need to order food by Internet as we have a surfeit of supermarkets in easy reach. Within a 20 minute drive we have 2 Tescos, 2 Sainsbury's an Asda and a Gateway, all large ones. We also have a small Waitrose, small Sainsbury's and a medium M&S within 5 minutes drive. Not that I've ever used them, but we've also got a Netto and an Aldi fairly near. Talk about spoilt for choice!

Dru2000d
21-03-2005, 21:49
one thing about asda, heres a complaint i sent through their website

"Myself and my partner have been shopping with yourselves (Cribbs Causeway, Bristol) for some time now. Generally we are happy with your products, however there have been instances where we have bought your "2 Chicken Fillets with bacon wrap and cheese".
This is the sort of thing we like to eat, it has some variety. The instructions state that to check the chicken is cooked, insert a skewer into the thickest part of the fillet and make sure the juices run clear. I'm not sure if this is an old wives tale, or something I read everywhere, and was probably taught in home economics class, that if the chicken is still pink, it is not suitable for human consumption. Even if the juices run clean, pink chicken is as far as I know, dangerous.
We have followed your cooking instructions to the book, varied lengths of time have been used to ensure the chicken is thoroughly cooked.
No matter what we try the chicken remains pink. After burning the bacon and the cheese you would think the chicken would be white, no, it is still pink.
We have bought this product on several occasions thinking it must be something to do with our oven? We have a new oven, still the same result. To be honest, my partner and I are disgusted by this.
Even if there is a new breed of "Pink Chicken", I refuse to believe that this is safe, and under no circumstances would let it pass my lips.
How annoyed would you be to scrap dinner after spending 45 minutes cooking it, just to cook something else. I dont much fancy having to cook dinner twice."

allieyoung666
21-03-2005, 21:56
I have other people complaing about asdas chicken dishes, we bought some ages ago and talk about rank smelling, I took it back and made the girl have agood sniff [ after that she was sick!!!]. And it wasnt even out of date for at least 4 days. They even tried you have switched the packaging!!!!! Come on you supermarkets get a grip!!!!

Shaun
21-03-2005, 22:06
<snip>

Try cooking the chicken at a lower temp for longer, should do it. ;)

allieyoung666
21-03-2005, 22:07
yeah but if it is off it wont!!!!

Tuftus
21-03-2005, 22:09
I always go by my mothers (who is a chef btw) advice, not just for chicken...

"If in ANY doubt, DISCARD"

allieyoung666
21-03-2005, 22:11
you should learn how to cook then shouldnt you!!!

Dru2000d
21-03-2005, 22:22
you should learn how to cook then shouldnt you!!!

I can cook, I cook fresh whole chicken all the time. ASDA convenience food is handy for me because of shift work, being tired blah blah blah.

Not to mention my partner is 9 months pregnant, nice juicy pink chicken that wont cook properly.

As I said in my previous post, I have "played" with the cooking temps and times, absolutely no progress.

Shouldnt they be fined for selling dodgy food?

allieyoung666
21-03-2005, 22:26
It isnt that simple, they all get away with selling dodgy food and claim that they did not know it was off as if. They have tons of excuses, I am glad I am a veggie!

ZrByte
21-03-2005, 22:48
I have other people complaing about asdas chicken dishes, we bought some ages ago and talk about rank smelling, I took it back and made the girl have agood sniff [ after that she was sick!!!]. And it wasnt even out of date for at least 4 days. They even tried you have switched the packaging!!!!! Come on you supermarkets get a grip!!!!

Thats very naughty of them, in ASDA even if we are in doubt we still have to believe you but make a note of your identity. I think its 3 strikes before we are allowed to claim you have swapped it or anything like that.

greencreeper
22-03-2005, 00:26
On the subject of pink chicken - score the fillet so the heat penetrates the thicker part faster. If you want to do something with the fillet, such as smear it in BBQ sauce and cheese (very nice), cook the chicken first, then finish off with topping under a grill. Under no circumstances should you eat pink chicken, and someone who is pregnant certainly should be very careful about what they eat. Gerkin dipped in Nutella is fine, whereas under-cooked meat, runny cheese, mousse and so on are not.

ScaredWebWarrior
22-03-2005, 00:34
The thing that puts me off is being unable to choose the cuts of meat that I want and having stuff near the end of its best before date pushed onto you.

Simple solution. Place the Internet order ONLY for the stuff that this doesn't apply to.

I think getting them to deliver 10 bottles of lemonade or huge numbers of tins etc. makes a lot of sense.

Then all you have to do is pick your own time to select the cut of meat you want, the right fruit & veg and anything else where you want to make the choice.

Get them to do the hard graft and enjoy an easy stroll to pick up the rest.

ian@huth
22-03-2005, 00:54
Simple solution. Place the Internet order ONLY for the stuff that this doesn't apply to.

I think getting them to deliver 10 bottles of lemonade or huge numbers of tins etc. makes a lot of sense.

Then all you have to do is pick your own time to select the cut of meat you want, the right fruit & veg and anything else where you want to make the choice.

Get them to do the hard graft and enjoy an easy stroll to pick up the rest.I can't really see the point in speding £5 or whatever ir costs for a home delivery where you are tied to a delivery time slot when you still have to visit the supermarket each week.

ScaredWebWarrior
22-03-2005, 01:02
I can't really see the point in speding £5 or whatever ir costs for a home delivery where you are tied to a delivery time slot when you still have to visit the supermarket each week.

Depends just on how much the stuff you don't have to pick up yourself weighs. Just trundling around the shop and then the checkout and then getting it into the car. It's all effort and it all costs time.

Now I don't know what your time is worth to you, but if I can save an hour in the supermarket, then at £5 that's quite cheap. (And that's ignoring the hassle and effort involved.)

Add to that that what little shopping you do have to do becomes that bit less onerous, and the equation starts to add up.

SMHarman
22-03-2005, 10:03
It means you can enjoy the shop looking for quality fruit and veg etc and not have to cart the heavy stuff around, or you can go to your local market in town on a Saturday morning instead and buy your meat and veg from there where it will be fresher.

The £5 is cheap. Petrol is a small part of the running costs of your car. Most cars cost about 30p a mile to run, so your say 4 mile drive to the supermarket has cost you £2.40 in car running costs, now add in the time and stress, or buy yourself a pint while someone else does the shop. Bargain.

Caspar
02-04-2005, 12:05
As some of you know I've been doing ASDA home shopping for the last few months...mainly cause of this thread tbh...I thought I'd try it for myself...and on the whole it's been great....for some many reasons!...mainly time and stress...cause my life is busy enough as it is...I'd rather not waste an hour and a bit...shopping! :) ..so thanks Richard for prompting the issue! :D

...anyway, here's one good reason not to rely on other to buy your goods! :rofl:
http://www.whichbrowser.com/images/cf/ASDA_SecurityLock_1.jpg
http://www.whichbrowser.com/images/cf/ASDA_SecurityLock_2.jpg
http://www.whichbrowser.com/images/cf/ASDA_SecurityLock_3.jpg

...if you hadn't had guessed they left the security tag on my blades!!! :dunce: ....so I've got the choice..either ring them up and get them to come pick them up and replace them...sounds funny choice....or just take a hammer to their box...(and ignore the issue of criminal damage! :erm: )

marina
02-04-2005, 12:42
[Snipped].......

...anyway, here's one good reason not to rely on other to buy your goods! :rofl:
<snip>

...if you hadn't had guessed they left the security tag on my blades!!! :dunce: ....so I've got the choice..either ring them up and get them to come pick them up and replace them...sounds funny choice....or just take a hammer to their box...(and ignore the issue of criminal damage! :erm: )

I had a similar issue a long time ago with Tesco and a CD still being delivered in it's security box....... A quick rant to their customer services and my item was redelivered SAME DAY without the security box..... it was hinted that i could go to the shop and exchange the item :rolleyes:

When you have other people choosing your shopping for you, it's a risk you take..... the only advice i can give is to check through all your shopping and the receipt before the delivery person leaves or you sign anything :shrug:

I've learned my lesson the hard way :D

Caspar
02-04-2005, 13:03
I had a similar issue a long time ago with Tesco and a CD still being delivered in it's security box....... A quick rant to their customer services and my item was redelivered SAME DAY without the security box..... it was hinted that i could go to the shop and exchange the item :rolleyes:

When you have other people choosing your shopping for you, it's a risk you take..... the only advice i can give is to check through all your shopping and the receipt before the delivery person leaves or you sign anything :shrug:

I've learned my lesson the hard way :D
ok, I thought I'd do the right thing...and phoned ASDA home shopping CS. She told me to take it into my local ASDA!!!! :Yikes: :Yikes: :Yikes:

...I said no way mate!...and told her this is HOME shopping not store shopping!!!...her attitude went from fun and friendly to serious CS! :p: ..and said she would send someone over this afternoon.

One point I would like to make...is that consumers like to feel special...even if we know we're not!...and we're one of many customers....You see she told me that she could only come and swap the item since she's got a driver delivering to a nearby street this afternoon.

This is fair enough...but it would have sounded a lot better if she told me she would prioritise the swapping of the item this afternoon, as soon as a driver was available.

Same thing, but as a consumer would make me feel special ;) :D ...which is what all companies try to do...but she is clearly :dunce: :(

marina
02-04-2005, 13:09
ok, I thought I'd do the right thing...and phoned ASDA home shopping CS. She told me to take it into my local ASDA!!!! :Yikes: :Yikes: :Yikes:

...I said no way mate!...and told her this is HOME shopping not store shopping!!!...her attitude went from fun and friendly to serious CS! :p: ..and said she would send someone over this afternoon.

One point I would like to make...is that consumers like to feel special...even if we know we're not!...and we're one of many customers....You see she told me that she could only come and swap the item since she's got a driver delivering to a nearby street this afternoon.

This is fair enough...but it would have sounded a lot better if she told me she would prioritise the swapping of the item this afternoon, as soon as a driver was available.

Same thing, but as a consumer would make me feel special ;) :D ...which is what all companies try to do...but she is clearly :dunce: :(

Sod the feeling special! I would have told her.........that i'd paid £5 to have the correct items delivered to my door within a specific timeslot and if she thinks i'm paying an extra £2.40 to get to my local store and back....... well.....

There'd be trouble ;) :p:

Caspar
02-04-2005, 13:42
Sod the feeling special! I would have told her.........that i'd paid £5 to have the correct items delivered to my door within a specific timeslot and if she thinks i'm paying an extra £2.40 to get to my local store and back....... well.....

There'd be trouble ;) :p:

Fair point :)...maybe I'll hide when the guy comes...so they have to come out again!...waste their petrol! :D

Caspar
01-06-2005, 14:49
It's happend again! ...ASDA messed up! :(

We got a food delivery today, ontime, but a loaf of bread was moudly! :mad: It was today's date but still moudly :mad: :mad:

Anyway, I phoned them up and complained...shortly followed by the apologies and the proud guy saying that "we don't just give you your money back, we'll give you double it"!...great, but what about my loaf of bread that I ordered and you delivered moudly????

He said that they dont have the resources to deliver single items...and all he could do is give me the double the cost.

...but what about the loaf of bread...now it turned into the principal of the matter. I paid near £5 delivery and they deliver me a moudly loaf. They then won't replace the item.

This didn't sit with me well, out of principal. So I asked to speak to his manager... Along came a nice lady who just iterated the company policy about no resources for single items!...but I paid for delivery and you now expect me to go to a ASDA store to replace the item myself???, I asked!

She said she saw my PoV and she said she would phone up my local ASDA and see if they were delivering to my area and could attach on the loaf. 5 minutes later she called up and asked if I would be available to receive a loaf of bread between 6-8 tonight. I said yes, we then went our seperate ways.

Job's a good'un! :D

Moral of the story, as ever, stick to your guns!...

This is the second time we have had problems with ASDA's delivery service, in 6 months or so....so overall t'is ok :)

zoombini
01-06-2005, 15:28
I went in last week wanting a 4 of thier pesi max (4 for £3) and because they had none apart form a 4 pack (at £3.75) I got a smiley voucher for 75p so got them for the same. :D

Somehow I doubt if I would ever use a delivery service from a supermarket. Certainly not at a fiver to deliver it, I can nip out for much less.

bmxbandit
01-06-2005, 15:50
...but what about the loaf of bread...now it turned into the principal of the matter.

This didn't sit with me well, out of principal.
pardon the excessive pedantry, and being vastly :notopic:, but there is a difference between principal (http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=principal) and principle (http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=principle) :)

Theodoric
02-06-2005, 19:04
pardon the excessive pedantry, and being vastly :notopic:, but there is a difference between principal (http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=principal) and principle (http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=principle) :)
Principally, the principle that principals often have principles. :)

Caspar
02-06-2005, 23:15

ok, fare enuff..pleaz excuze my angle... :rofl : D

Jules
03-06-2005, 12:02
I have used Icelands home delivery a few times and they are very good, also if you spend over £50 the delivery is free :)

Angua
03-06-2005, 12:13
Somerfield do a home delivery service for over £25 in store spend, you choose your shopping and delivery time slot.

You know what your getting and you don't have to drive.;)

Having said that my friend uses Tesco's home delivery all the time and the nearest large store is over 20 miles away.:Yikes: