PDA

View Full Version : *Newbie Wirless Help Please*

tommyboi
16-02-2005, 19:23
Hi cable forum i need help. Im getting a 2nd pc for myself in my room and want to share the net connection wirelessly with the pc downstairs. When the other pc comes there will be a 3meter gap between them so there wont be any interference.

Basically im asking for the board to reccomend me a good kit or hardware to buy that will do the job. Im not wanting to open up my pc so i was looking for one of them usb adapter things.

If you need to know the pc spec of the downstairs pc its a 500mhz pc with 256mb ram and spare usb.

The upstairs one will be a 2.2 ghz with 512mb ram with usb etc..

Cheers for help in advance.

nffc
16-02-2005, 20:12
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=16296

mick70
17-02-2005, 09:41
I can strongly advise that you use "Netgear" products, I have had problems with other makes but their gear seems simple to install and setup.

I use a Netgear 54G router and a Netgear USB 54g plug in stick for my lappy.
I am not a Netgear salesman, just like people to avoid the frustration that I had with other products!
;)

SMHarman
17-02-2005, 10:08
For the same reason I would recommend Linksys. In this instance though make sure all the components are from the same manufacturer. Netgear USB dongle, Netgear router IYSWIM.

nffc
17-02-2005, 10:11
Linksys / Netgear are good but Belkin haven't been problematic either from my experience.

But get all from the same manufacturer.