PDA

View Full Version : A Mini Adventure?

Chimaera
16-02-2005, 18:46
If only Rover had been able to keep the Mini! Seems BMW (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4246215.stm) are at least safeguarding British jobs.

Less than four years after the new Mini was launched, German car maker BMW has announced £100m of new investment.

Some 200 new jobs are to be created at the Oxford factory, including modernised machinery and a new body shell production building.

Can't see what the attraction is myself! :D

Charlie_Bubble
16-02-2005, 19:14
If only Rover had been able to keep the Mini! Seems BMW (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4246215.stm) are at least safeguarding British jobs.

Can't see what the attraction is myself! :D

Call me cynical, but I wouldn't praise BMW so highly. In my opinion they went in with Rover for 2 main reasons, to get their hands on some Honda engine info and the Mini brand. Rover were going along quite nicely with Honda and their k series engines and then stupidly let BMW in. This cause Honda to drop them like a hot potato and then lo and behold a couple of years later Rover is on the rocks and BMW have somehow got their hands on the Mini brand and then release a new BMW under it's nametag.

Chimaera
16-02-2005, 19:18
Exactly - that's why I won't have one - not exactly a BMW fan myself :td:
I meant that's the least they are doing!

Reddevil63
17-02-2005, 13:19
Call me cynical, but I wouldn't praise BMW so highly. In my opinion they went in with Rover for 2 main reasons, to get their hands on some Honda engine info and the Mini brand. Rover were going along quite nicely with Honda and their k series engines and then stupidly let BMW in. This cause Honda to drop them like a hot potato and then lo and behold a couple of years later Rover is on the rocks and BMW have somehow got their hands on the Mini brand and then release a new BMW under it's nametag.

Well the Honda engine info would have been useless to BMW as the Honda engine has advanced so much since the Rover/Honda partnership.

Russ
17-02-2005, 13:21
Been using my Honda engine'd Rover for 4 years now and it's as bullet proof now as it was from day one. Actually the only engine I'd trust more than a Honda would be a Beemer.

Aragorn
17-02-2005, 13:27
Been using my Honda engine'd Rover for 4 years now and it's as bullet proof now as it was from day one.

I can sense a breakdown coming on after that comment :D

homealone
17-02-2005, 13:36
Well the Honda engine info would have been useless to BMW as the Honda engine has advanced so much since the Rover/Honda partnership.

we changed our K series engined Rover25 for a Honda Jazz - still 1.4L but nearly 10mpg better fuel consumption without any loss in performance ;)

Reddevil63
17-02-2005, 17:39
we changed our K series engined Rover25 for a Honda Jazz - still 1.4L but nearly 10mpg better fuel consumption without any loss in performance ;)

Know what you mean...blinding little car!

Should know as I work for Honda! :D