PDA

View Full Version : Cable ISPs?

Electrolyte01
16-02-2005, 14:24
I'm looking to change ISP because I'm fed up of the greith NTL have given me and the new move NTL are doing is just the last straw.

First of all, I can't get ADSL since my parents have an NTL phone line, and I can't get BlueYonder because it isn't in my area (DRAT!).

So does any one know any cable ISP that doesn't have bandwidth limits, and is max of £20 per month? :(

Stuart
16-02-2005, 14:26
I'm looking to change ISP because I'm fed up of the greith NTL have given me and the new move NTL are doing is just the last straw.

First of all, I can't get ADSL since my parents have an NTL phone line, and I can't get BlueYonder because it isn't in my area (DRAT!).

So does any one know any cable ISP that doesn't have bandwidth limits, and is max of £20 per month? :(

You'll only be able to get Broadband from NTL or AOL.. I believe the AOL offering is still £27.99 for 512K, but it is uncapped.

Electrolyte01
16-02-2005, 14:30
£28 is way too much, and I don't want some crappy ISP software installed.

Stuart
16-02-2005, 14:50
Actually, I was wrong. It's 1Meg BB for £24.99 http://www.aol.co.uk/products/broadband/gold/?promo=228937

I don't think you need the software anymore either.

But, if you don't want to or can't use AOL, then you are stuck with NTL on cable..

Electrolyte01
16-02-2005, 14:53
I've just sent an email to this ISP for this service:

http://www.vispa.net/broadband-consumer-home250.php

Sent them an email asking if there service is available for NTL phone line customers. I tried the phone number thing on the sign up, and it went through so I think they do.

Stuart
16-02-2005, 15:02
I've just sent an email to this ISP for this service:

http://www.vispa.net/broadband-consumer-home250.php

Sent them an email asking if there service is available for NTL phone line customers. I tried the phone number thing on the sign up, and it went through so I think they do.

Just been digging around on the FAQs for that site. Although they do not say you need a BT line to use it (not even when you order it, which is naughty), they use BT's IPStream service to provide the connection. So, I think you do need a BT line.

I don't think NTL have any of the DSLams required for ADSL to work on any part of their phone system.

Electrolyte01
16-02-2005, 15:02
Nope, they only offer it to BT phone lines :(

Oh why did my parents have to go with NTL for the stupid phone line :(

Mr_love_monkey
16-02-2005, 15:03
I didn't think it was technically possible to do that via an NTL line? - hopefully I'm wrong....

edit: ah, looks like it's not

TigaSefi
16-02-2005, 15:09
what grief u been getting ? and how come it can't be "sorted out" ?

Electrolyte01
16-02-2005, 15:12
May go with AOL. Does any one know if you HAVE to have there software installed to use it or not?

what grief u been getting ? and how come it can't be "sorted out" ?

My parents have rung them about 6 times for the same problem over and over, and frankly they aswell as me are fed up of ringing up and waiting for 30 minutes to get through.

TigaSefi
16-02-2005, 15:17
Maybe state ur problem here and someone here might be able to help more efficiently ?

Electrolyte01
16-02-2005, 15:20
Maybe state ur problem here and someone here might be able to help more efficiently ?

I've put threads up before but havn't got it sorted.

And I would rather have 512K for £17.99 per month with unlimited bandwidth instead of 300K with 30GB bandwidth per month.

TigaSefi
16-02-2005, 15:23
I noticed u got Sky Plus, doesn't Sky need a BT line to operate with ? I know mine does.

Gareth
16-02-2005, 15:24
May go with AOL. Does any one know if you HAVE to have there software installed to use it or not?

My parents have rung them about 6 times for the same problem over and over, and frankly they aswell as me are fed up of ringing up and waiting for 30 minutes to get through. If your Old Un's are fed up with 'em, then just leave some BT leaflets on the coffee table, and drop subtle hints about how good a service they offer, etc... Shouldn't be too difficult to convince them to swap if they're fed up with NTL already ;)

Stuart
16-02-2005, 15:25
I noticed u got Sky Plus, doesn't Sky need a BT line to operate with ? I know mine does.

AFAIK, Sky needs a phone line. It doesn't necessarily need a BT line. The phone line is just so the box can dial out for things like Interactive.

dilli-theclaw
16-02-2005, 15:25

Sky do not need a BT line.

edit - just to add I did query this when I had sky installed as I had an ntl line (for broad band and dial up [at the time]). I was told that I just needed a land line.

SMHarman
16-02-2005, 15:27
I've put threads up before but havn't got it sorted.

And I would rather have 512K for £17.99 per month with unlimited bandwidth instead of 300K with 30GB bandwidth per month.
have you had any letters from NTL about your bandwidth usage yet?
If you have can we see a scan (blank your address).
If not why are you worrying about something that has not happened yet?

Sky+ needs a phone line. Sky infer it needs to be a BT line, but it does not. The inferrence is so they / BT can package together their calls / ADSL and Sky+

Electrolyte01
16-02-2005, 15:28
If your Old Un's are fed up with 'em, then just leave some BT leaflets on the coffee table, and drop subtle hints about how good a service they offer, etc... Shouldn't be too difficult to convince them to swap if they're fed up with NTL already ;)

Pft, you havn't met my parents, it's EXTREMELY hard to convince them into anything :(

If not why are you worrying about something that has not happened yet?

Because I can get 512K for the exact same price as I am paying now, with free setup charges :erm:

Neil
16-02-2005, 15:44
AFAIK, Sky needs a phone line. It doesn't necessarily need a BT line. The phone line is just so the box can dial out for things like Interactive.

That's correct. :tu:

Wayne-how hard can it be to convince your parents to get their phone line ported from ntl to BT?? :confused:

They won't notice any difference, as the port is 'invisible'... :shrug:

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showpost.php?p=89078&postcount=1

Mr_love_monkey
16-02-2005, 15:48
Wayne-how hard can it be to convince your parents to get their phone line ported from ntl to BT?? :confused:

To be fair I think parents on the whole, tend to be fairly difficult to convince about most things....

Paul
16-02-2005, 15:54
Wayne-how hard can it be to convince your parents to get their phone line ported from ntl to BT?? :confused:Wayne :erm:

Electrolyte01
16-02-2005, 15:58

They won't notice any difference, as the port is 'invisible'... :shrug:

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showpost.php?p=89078&postcount=1

First of all, I'm not Wayne :erm:

Second, my parents find anything a hassle if it means ringing some one up.

scrotnig
16-02-2005, 16:00
Sky+ needs a phone line. Sky infer it needs to be a BT line, but it does not. The inferrence is so they / BT can package together their calls / ADSL and Sky+
Which is soimething I am often pointing out, as basically the sales people lie. But quite a few people on here seem to consider that Sky telling lies is OK, yet the same people jumpo up and down like a yo yo at every little thing ntl ever say. Odd that really. Lies are lies, no matter who tells them.

Electrolyte01
16-02-2005, 16:06
Does any one know if AOL's models have ethernet ports? If they just have USB then I can't use it since I have a router connected to 2 PC's (and my PC is on the other side of the room).

And also, doesn't any one know if the software is required?

KingPhoenix
16-02-2005, 16:07

So why did they go with Sky+ rather than NTL TV?

Edit :

Also, if its that much of a hassel, what makes you think they will ring NTL to cancel the broadband, and then ring AOL to have theres activated.... if they cant just ring NTL and cancel the phone line and ring BT to have the bt line switched on............

Electrolyte01
16-02-2005, 16:09
So why did they go with Sky+ rather than NTL TV?

Because we have had Sky since the old analog system was out (when the reciever and channel switcher were seperate boxes running off there own power).

Also, if its that much of a hassel, what makes you think they will ring NTL to cancel the broadband, and then ring AOL to have theres activated.... if they cant just ring NTL and cancel the phone line and ring BT to have the bt line switched on............

Because I'll refuse to pay the next month payment if they don't.

Neil
16-02-2005, 16:16
Sorry-my bad.

Did you follow my link? Did you see how easy it can be?
Get them to ring BT & add you to the account, then you can ring BT to get the port over done.

KingPhoenix
16-02-2005, 16:16
Because I'll refuse to pay the next month payment if they don't.

Heh, and if theyre anything like my parents used to be, thats when you'll lose broadband all together ;)

Electrolyte01
16-02-2005, 16:21
They don't want to change because they don't want to change number, and they also said they don't like BT and it's more expensive :(

Heh, and if theyre anything like my parents used to be, thats when you'll lose broadband all together ;)

More than likely, but they will go with something that has a better offer (most of the time :disturbd: ).

SMHarman
16-02-2005, 16:25
Does any one know if AOL's models have ethernet ports? If they just have USB then I can't use it since I have a router connected to 2 PC's (and my PC is on the other side of the room).

Dont think you need the AOL software, think the CM is the same one you have.

Electrolyte01
16-02-2005, 16:31
Dont think you need the AOL software, think the CM is the same one you have.

If it's the same as the NTL one then that's no problem :)

jtwn
16-02-2005, 16:33

The installation is carried out by ntl, so unless they carry a modem especially for aol then guesses is that it would just be another ambit.

Electrolyte01
16-02-2005, 16:57
Asked my parents to switch, they said "we'll see". Just have to wait now and see what happens :erm:

My mates say AOL's cable I have to keep dialing up? Isn't that just for the ADSL version though? :erm:

And they also say I have to install there software to register the modem. Is this also true?

Mr_love_monkey
16-02-2005, 17:27
And they also say I have to install there software to register the modem. Is this also true?

Probably yeah, AOL never used to let you use the internet without their bloatware, and I doubt that would have changed now - it's one of their selling points 'apparently' - they wouldn't really be able to say how safe it is to use the internet with them if people could bypass their system and just browse - though that said, there was never anything to stop you connecting with their software and then just minimising the software and using the browser as usual - it's what I used to do when AOL dial up was the only unlimited use dial up that I could use on an NTL line

ian@huth
16-02-2005, 17:30
Asked my parents to switch, they said "we'll see". Just have to wait now and see what happens :erm:

My mates say AOL's cable I have to keep dialing up? Isn't that just for the ADSL version though? :erm:

No cable broadband involves dialling up, it's just there, always on.

I have read reports of people installing AOL on NTL cable without the CD but can't verify there reliability. I would think that you could do or at worst remove all traces of the software after registering.

Sky insist on a phoneline for you to take advantage of the interactive discount which enables free installation. They do not always check that it is connected though. They do insist on a phoneline and do check regularly if you are getting a mirror subscription for a second digibox. Possibly to stop you slipping a cable through to next door and selling the neighbours half price Sky. :D Sky have never stipulated that I should have a BT line or queried who I got my telephone service from on any installation I have ever had and it's been a few.

Electrolyte01
16-02-2005, 17:39
I would think that you could do or at worst remove all traces of the software after registering.

As long as I can remove it after I have registered the modem that's no problem for me :)

Mr_love_monkey
16-02-2005, 17:43
I found this on a site - it's about the US, but it might still apply

Here's the problem in a nutshell: the thing you need to understand is that AOLââ‚Âà ‚¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢s High-Speed Cable Modem service functions quite differently than the cable modem service provided by other ISPs like Time Warnerââ‚Ã⠀šÃ‚¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢s Road Runner.

For example, one of the most attractive features of a typical broadband connection is that it is always on. This always-on status is what allows you to get real-time stock and weather updates, check for phone numbers, or get directions instantly. Not to mention that with an always-on connection you can set up your own web site, remotely access your PC while traveling, or participate in a video conference.

This connection is also unfiltered, allowing you to visit virtually any place on the web youââ‚Âà ‚¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢d like without restrictions. The downside to this convenience is that the connection is also wide open to the rest of the world. So if you want to keep your PC and data protected, youââ‚Âà ‚¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢ll need to invest in a good firewall. Content filtering will cost you extra.

AOL, however, is not your typical broadband service. Their connection is only active when you sign into the AOL service. The benefit of this technique is that because your PC isnââ‚Âà ‚¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢t always online, it is less vulnerable to attack for the outside world. To further protect you, AOL also maintains the firewall and even provides a variety of content filtering tools so you can customize what your family can and cannot do on the web. Considering that many AOL users arenââ‚ ¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢t very Internet savvy or lack a really good understanding of the potential dangers out on the net, this isnââ‚Âà ‚¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢t necessarily a bad thing.

However, as with any type of security implementation, AOLââ‚Âà ‚¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢s isnââ‚Âà ‚¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢t without its sacrifices. The biggest has to be the inability to share this connection among multiple users. The reason for this is that AOL doesn't use a standard connection method like PPPoE to authenticate users. This creates an incompatibility with your typical broadband router because the router doesnââ‚ƚ¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢t know how to communicate with the AOL service. This all but limits the service to a single PC. The modem can be physically connected to multiple PCs, but to only one at a time.

However this (http://forum.digitalspy.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=179912&goto=nextoldest) sounds a little bit more promising

Electrolyte01
16-02-2005, 17:46
I found this on a site - it's about the US, but it might still apply

However this (http://forum.digitalspy.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=179912&goto=nextoldest) sounds a little bit more promising

Thanks for that, I've sent them an email asking if my router will be compatible (since I have 2 PC's) and if I need there software installed or not.

Electrolyte01
17-02-2005, 10:27
Bah, I have to use there stupid dialer according to there email, and being able to use a network is only available in the gold package. Having AOL on an NTL line is ALSO only available in the gold and above packages :mad:

*Sighs*

Looks like I'll have to stick with NTL's 300K :(