PDA

View Full Version : Making a longer cable

twelvety
16-02-2005, 13:50
I have the NTL SACM supplied from a box on the inside of the house. The cable supplied from the box needs to be longer so I can move the PC into another room and wondered if there is an off the shelf supplier of the necessary bits?

quadplay
16-02-2005, 14:00
Hi twelvety, and :welcome:

You can buy a long Ethernet cable to connect the cable modem to the PC. Cat5 Ethernet cables (as used by the ntl Cable Modems) can be up to 100m in length, and can be purchased from a local PC store, or somewhere like Maplins, where they'll make one to your required length.

What you cannot do, however, is install extra co-axial cabling to move the SACM itself. Only an engineer can alter the wiring, as specified by section 9.5 of your Terms and Conditions:

Nobody other than our representatives may tamper, add to, modify or interfere with the Equipment in any way. As well as any other rights we may have, such action may result in our suspending the Services, terminating the Agreement and/or our retaining the whole or a part of any deposit.

Hope this helps. :)

trebor
16-02-2005, 16:39
What you cannot do, however, is install extra co-axial cabling to move the SACM itself. Only an engineer can alter the wiring, as specified by section 9.5 of your Terms and Conditions:

Hope this helps. :)

Yes you can maplin sell extention cables for just that job.
I think this might be the thing
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=9376&TabID=1&source=17&WorldID=2&doy=16m2

I went to the shop and made sure I got the right thing

Stuart
16-02-2005, 17:05
Yes you can maplin sell extention cables for just that job.
I think this might be the thing
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=9376&TabID=1&source=17&WorldID=2&doy=16m2

I went to the shop and made sure I got the right thing

I don't think Jimbo was saying it's not physically possible, just that if NTL find you adding bits of cable to their network, they have the right to kick you off (and possibly will).

twelvety
16-02-2005, 17:29
Thanks guys.

Problem is, it needs to go through the wall and then needs to be terminated.

Ethernet cables tend to be supplied ready terminated.

Other problem with this is that the SACM will still be located with the junction box as the cable it too short to move it far.

Do NTL charge extornionate prices to carry this work out themselves?

danielf
16-02-2005, 17:39
Thanks guys.

Problem is, it needs to go through the wall and then needs to be terminated.

Ethernet cables tend to be supplied ready terminated.

Other problem with this is that the SACM will still be located with the junction box as the cable it too short to move it far.

You could consider getting a wireless router. That will get rid of the ethernet cable alltogether.

Doofy
16-02-2005, 17:43
I don't think Jimbo was saying it's not physically possible, just that if NTL find you adding bits of cable to their network, they have the right to kick you off (and possibly will).

I extended my cable myself and NTL have been out since and never complained, when i had it installed i asked them to put in extra cable but they refused, so i simply did it myself

nfs6600
16-02-2005, 17:52
Thanks guys.

It's not as much as you may think, around £10-£20 if i recall correctly. Or you can get ethernet cable charged at £1 per metre. Like some of the others say, go wireless, but this I feel os pretty pointless if its not a laptop you are using.

Personally you should go with ntl doing it for you. Just last week a tech told me a customer had had a go at some diy to move his point for his internet. Needeless to say the work was a shambles and he got a nice call out charge plus charges for work carried out. So don't have a go at extending it yourself, if your found out you never know what might happen.

Paul

Stuart
16-02-2005, 18:17
I extended my cable myself and NTL have been out since and never complained, when i had it installed i asked them to put in extra cable but they refused, so i simply did it myself

Fair enough. I think they would only kick you off if there was suspicion that your alterations were causing problems on the network anyway. When I installed my on Telephone socket on my BT line, BT had a similar rule. When it went wrong (after nearly 10 years of use), the engineer looked at it, replaced the socket and didn't say a word. I'm still a BT customer 10 years later..

twelvety
16-02-2005, 23:20
Personally you should go with ntl doing it for you. Just last week a tech told me a customer had had a go at some diy to move his point for his internet. Needeless to say the work was a shambles and he got a nice call out charge plus charges for work carried out. So don't have a go at extending it yourself, if your found out you never know what might happen.Paul
Thanks everyone, certainly gave me few options which I was hoping for! :tu: Will contact NTL and get them to do it, save me making a hash of it :D If that's too expensive I'll probably route some ethernet the long way round!!

Doofy
17-02-2005, 00:06
Fair enough. I think they would only kick you off if there was suspicion that your alterations were causing problems on the network anyway. When I installed my on Telephone socket on my BT line, BT had a similar rule. When it went wrong (after nearly 10 years of use), the engineer looked at it, replaced the socket and didn't say a word. I'm still a BT customer 10 years later..

I Think it is highly dependant on the engineer who comes out the one that came to mine was really nice bloke and simply didnt care, He even left me a load of cable incase i wanted to move it again, which is more than the installer did (more than his jobsworth apparently). I wouldnt like to guarantee that someone else would have the same result as i did though :erm:

twelvety
17-02-2005, 13:40
It's not as much as you may think, around £10-£20 if i recall correctly.......

I have now contated NTL who are sending an engineer out on Tuesday to do the job for 25 quid. I'm happy with that so.................job's a good un! ;)

quadplay
17-02-2005, 13:49
Nice one. Glad to know it's definately going to get done properly - or if it doesn't, you've got redress to get it sorted!

twelvety
17-02-2005, 17:20
Nice one. Glad to know it's definately going to get done properly - or if it doesn't, you've got redress to get it sorted!

Exactly, thanks again to everyone! :cool: