PDA

View Full Version : Using Internet Connection Sharing For a Router???

gimpymoo
16-02-2005, 00:21
Ok.. Please, nobody ask why.

Is it possible to use internet connection sharing to supply a router with an internet connection from my internet connected PC via a NIC card?

Chris W
16-02-2005, 00:26
yes it is

why? :p:

you should be able to setup connection sharing and then set the router to use a specified ip address and it should connect... seems a rather strange way of doing it though. If you want to have a pc that is not behind the router, why not just put it in the DMZ??

ZrByte
16-02-2005, 00:39
you should be able to setup connection sharing and then set the router to use a specified ip address and it should connect... seems a rather strange way of doing it though. If you want to have a pc that is not behind the router, why not just put it in the DMZ??

DMZ has adverse effects on lots of p2p programs aswel as several online games. maybe thats why?

gimpymoo
16-02-2005, 01:04
DMZ has adverse effects on lots of p2p programs aswel as several online games. maybe thats why?

Gaming being the main reason.

At last, someone who understands that DMZ isn't the answer to all my problems ;)

ANy ideas on how to do this?

yes it is

why? :p:

What IP address do I set the router to?

Tezcatlipoca
16-02-2005, 01:05
As the PC would be using ICS, I think you'd have to use the router just as a switch & not as a NAT router. Otherwise, you'd have the PC's ICS using NAT to share the connection out to the router, which would then itself be using NAT to share it again...

Should be doable though, I think.

iron25
16-02-2005, 01:14
Ok.. Please, nobody ask why.

Is it possible to use internet connection sharing to supply a router with an internet connection from my internet connected PC via a NIC card?

I know you don't want us to ask but why :erm:

What you are attempting to do really defeats the purpose of having the router, besides, if the pc that you are going to setup ICS on is turned off, it will kill the entire network.

This might help :

http://www.gyre.co.uk/help/broadband/connection_sharing.php

gimpymoo
16-02-2005, 02:11
Ive just signed up with the Vonage VOIP service and I HAVE to use the router top plug my phone into.

I disabled the DHCP server on the router which seems to have accomplished what I needed. The router is now an expensive switch - LOL