PDA

View Full Version : Surfboard and SNMP

gkhewitt
15-02-2005, 12:17
Hi there

I'm currently on the 300k service and have half a mind to take the free upgrade when it comes around next month. But, firstly I'd like to do a little investigation with regards to bandwidth usage. I understand that the Surfboard keeps track of data transfer and this can be extracted via SNMP, I plan on using PRTG as mentioned by others here. However, PRTG cannot connect, saying that the connection has failed. I can ping 192.168.100.1 and view the web admin page, but cannot access SNMP.

Does NTL lock the SNMP of the Surfboard (4100)? Or am I barking up the wrong tree completely?

I have an old Linux box that acts as the router for our home network, but the stats for transfer over the CM reset themselves everytime the box crashes/gets reset.

Chris W
15-02-2005, 13:12
Why not setup prtg to monitor traffic through the interface of the linux box that is connecting to the cable modem instead of the cable modem?

jtwn
15-02-2005, 13:15
Pretty sure snmp has been disabled, as i cant seem to use docsdiag anymore.

MrBen
15-02-2005, 13:47
Pretty sure snmp has been disabled, as i cant seem to use docsdiag anymore.
I'm successfully using PRTG on my SB4100 here. You should use the HFC IP address though not 192.168.100.1. To find out what your HFC IP address is, open up the SB4100 'web site' at http://192.168.100.1/address.html

In the free version of PRTG you can only monitor one sensor. When you add the cablemodem, you have the choice of [I think] 5 sensors, you should monitor port/sensor #2 - CATV MAC Layer.

Ben

slimshady
15-02-2005, 14:05
Alternatively you could use MRTG or Cacti on the Linux box, I'm using both of these to monitor my cable modem.

Both will need an installation of Net-SNMP and Apache on the linux box.

MRTG will require the GD and PNG libraries and Cacti will require RRDTool and MySQL, and PHP.

I suppose it depends whats installed on your Linux box!

You will need Net-SNMP installed on the Linux box to query it from a Windows box with PRTG.

Slim.

gkhewitt
15-02-2005, 14:42
Bingo, thanks MrBen, I just specified the HFC address instead and that set it

Cheers again!

nigelN
15-02-2005, 16:49
Hi, sorry to butt in here, but I retrieved the address as above,using the freeware version, click on add firdt sensor, but then which one do I choose. I have tried them all but they seem to offer
Device name/alias... Amyname
IPAddress/DNSname... I put the ip found in the address section of CM
SNMP Cumunity string...left as public
SNMP port...placed to 2

But cant get working, Am i on the right tracksTIA

MrBen
15-02-2005, 17:09
Hi, sorry to butt in here, but I retrieved the address as above,using the freeware version, click on add firdt sensor, but then which one do I choose. I have tried them all but they seem to offer
Device name/alias... Amyname
IPAddress/DNSname... I put the ip found in the address section of CM
SNMP Cumunity string...left as public
SNMP port...placed to 2

But cant get working, Am i on the right tracksTIA
Sorry Nigel,

Should have made it a bit clearer, on the Device Selection page,

Device Name/Alias: Any Name
IP Address/DNS Name: As per HFC IP
SNMP Community String: public
SNMP Port: 161

On the next page, called Port Selection select port #2 CATV Mac Layer.

Too many ports ;)

Ben

gkhewitt
15-02-2005, 17:53
Hmm.. my MAC layer isn't registering any traffic. Only the USB (yeah, I know...), Up and downstream are.

Any ideas?

jules_mountain
18-02-2008, 20:40
Some Motorola Surfboard modems (Telewest, Virgin) don't give up their HFC IP Address very easily, i.e. not shown in the web configuration panel.
You can however use a tool called DocsDiag to reveal the HFC IP Address but you have to run using the 'verbose' parameter. Full instructions and free download at http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/docsdiag/

Cobbydaler
18-02-2008, 20:51
Wow! Some bump...

3 years 3 days!